Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Eason the Fifth posted:

Paul goes blind from a nuke and goes out in the desert to die because he was unwilling to shepherd humanity through the Golden Path
Alia sucks, dies
Chani dies
Paul's son Leto II merges with a sandworm and becomes a god to do what his dad didn't want to do. He gets assassinated but it's all part of the plan. Also clone Duncan Idaho climbs a cliff and makes a woman orgasm in the process. He is also the real KH. Jason Momoa is perfect for this role.

There's a couple more books with vagina and penis magic and then a lot of fanfiction, but those are the highlights, thanks for readin

I have heard people say this. I read all the books as a teen and completely missed or forgot this. Can someone please expound on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
should cover about everything I think

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28franchise%29?wprov=sfla1

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Popoto posted:

I… uh I used to know Villeneuve, like way back before his first movies and as an acquaintance of an acquaintance. I haven’t spoken to him in decades now. Still I saw him often enough back then to have chit chats here and there. One time I asked him, if he had magic unlimited funds, what would be the movie of his dreams to make.

I’ll leave to the thread to guess the response he gave me.

Buckaroo Banzai Against The World Crime League

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I can't tell if you're just trying to be a dick or what but that mentions Duncan twice and the only talk about Duncan being the Kwizatz Haderach on his wiki page is from the failson books

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Popoto posted:

I… uh I used to know Villeneuve, like way back before his first movies and as an acquaintance of an acquaintance. I haven’t spoken to him in decades now. Still I saw him often enough back then to have chit chats here and there. One time I asked him, if he had magic unlimited funds, what would be the movie of his dreams to make.

Backdoor sluts 3.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Earnest meets Madea

This and Charles "Deathwish" Bronson vs Jason Vorhees are two cinematic ventures our culture has been cheated out of.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

brian herbert
brian herbert
brian herbert

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

free hubcaps posted:

brian herbert
brian herbert
brian herbert

You fool.

He only appears if you say @duneauthor

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

free hubcaps posted:

brian herbert
brian herbert
brian herbert

:mods:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Better be glad you weren't standing in front of a mirror when you posted that.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

kiimo posted:

I can't tell if you're just trying to be a dick or what but that mentions Duncan twice and the only talk about Duncan being the Kwizatz Haderach on his wiki page is from the failson books

My bad I missed the bolded part, I thought you were asking for a more in-depth summary of the series than the half-assed bullet points I posted. No, Duncan as the KH is definitely a failson invention

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You become brian herbert if you do that. He tricked his dad into doing it and well thats how we got his dune books

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Eason the Fifth posted:

Duncan as the KH is definitely a failson invention

Some of the BG speculate about it in Chapterhouse.

I'm finally nearing the end of that one and a part of me is kind of curious to read the two failson books that 'conclude' Frank's series, partly because I wonder how much truth there is (if any) to Brian saying "we used my Dad's notes," and partly because I want to torture myself.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 21, 2021

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

*imbibes the ultra-spice from the SEA WORMS*

hmm no my TURBO-PRESCIENCE is confirming that "dad's notes" are a lazy fiction to justify cashing in on a dead dad's cred

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Popoto posted:

God Emperor??

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Imagine just starting with God Emperor. Cold open, no Galadriel voice over.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Popoto posted:

This is really cool to hear.

Like, it's one thing to get a director that feels like a good fit for a movie based on a story I love, but it's on another level to have it be a passion project and yeah. I am just real fuckin' stoked for this movie and I will poo poo if I don't at least get adaptations thru to GEoD. I couldn't blame Heretics or Chapterhouse staying unadapted, but I really need "My Dinner With Andre" but it's Moneo and his worm buddy, occasionally accosted by a duncan idaho ghola

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Riot Bimbo posted:

This is really cool to hear.

Like, it's one thing to get a director that feels like a good fit for a movie based on a story I love, but it's on another level to have it be a passion project and yeah. I am just real fuckin' stoked for this movie and I will poo poo if I don't at least get adaptations thru to GEoD. I couldn't blame Heretics or Chapterhouse staying unadapted, but I really need "My Dinner With Andre" but it's Moneo and his worm buddy, occasionally accosted by a duncan idaho ghola

If it means anything at all to me, it means Villeneuve is probably very much more on hands, in a “this is my movie” type thing that probably reduces the amount of bumbling interferences from the studio. It doesn’t guarantee quality, but I think it does guarantee that we will be shown a concise vision of the world of Dune from Denis’ mind.

and i can’t wait lol

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Dad's dead, so what?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

euphronius posted:

This is actually how I first started DUNE. My grandmother used to scoop up science fiction and fantasy novels for me at rummage sales, and I read through God-Emperor with no knowledge of what had happened before. I thought it was hella weird.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Mad Hamish posted:

This is actually how I first started DUNE. My grandmother used to scoop up science fiction and fantasy novels for me at rummage sales, and I read through God-Emperor with no knowledge of what had happened before. I thought it was hella weird.

1984 Dune theatrical cut weird or less?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

Haha that rules

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mad Hamish posted:

It was the only book in the series my friend in high school had read, too. He hated it. I don't blame him :shrug:

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

euphronius posted:

I'm okay with a Dune movie that starts with a God Emperor cold open as a Tales from the Crypt framing device for the rest of the 3 first books.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

unfortunately i was and ive since been bombarded with angry emails from someone calling themselves "LORD_CYBERTREX"

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

He'd turned his monitor off, oh no

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

In my estimation, more misery has been created by reformers than by any other force in human history. Show me someone who says, “Dune is my passion project!” and I will show you a head full of vicious intentions that have no other outlet. What we must strive for always! is to find the natural flow and go with it.
–The Reverend Mother Taraza, Conversational Record, BG File GSXXMAT9

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Super.Jesus posted:

I'm okay with a Dune movie that starts with a God Emperor cold open as a Tales from the Crypt framing device for the rest of the 3 first books.

The framing device is thoughts leto has as he’s falling from the bridge Inception style

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

euphronius posted:

The framing device is thoughts leto has as he’s falling from the bridge Inception style

*record scratch freeze frame*
Yeah that’s me. You might wonder how I got here.
*73 hours chronicling human history*

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Erulisse posted:

1984 Dune theatrical cut weird or less?

Well gently caress, now I'm wondering how much of a dumpster fire a Lynch-directed film adaptation of God-Emperor would be.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So Chapterhouse jumps forward in time a few times, but near as I can tell the Miles Teg ghola is still pretty young when they try to, uh, awaken... his Other Memory. He's too young, right?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Reading trivia about the new Dune as I can't wait to see it (but it comes out next month? Suck) anyway here's this gem :

quote:

Charlotte Rampling, who will star in Denis Villeneuve's upcoming adaptation of the 1965 novel, originally wanted to play Lady Jessica in Alejandro Jodorowsky's failed Dune project, but declined the offer due to a scene that involved 2,000 extras defecating at once.
:stonk:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

Reading trivia about the new Dune as I can't wait to see it (but it comes out next month? Suck) anyway here's this gem :

:stonk:

Talk about a poo poo take

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Mister Speaker posted:

So Chapterhouse jumps forward in time a few times, but near as I can tell the Miles Teg ghola is still pretty young when they try to, uh, awaken... his Other Memory. He's too young, right?

From my memory of reading that, yes, absolutely, like 8 or so. :barf:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Remake Lynch Dune but change nothing except for switching out Irulan's narration with Leto II's.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

I Greyhound posted:

From my memory of reading that, yes, absolutely, like 8 or so. :barf:

That's just his outside appearance, inside he's actually a 300 year old super Saiyan.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Question about the new movie I just remembered this. Wasn't there a sort of weird voice over at the very beginning of the movie? I can't remember what it said. Is it Leto 2?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Uh, wasn't it Chani?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Drone posted:

Uh, wasn't it Chani?

It's this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU