Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

GD_American posted:

How'd people like Early Times BIB? ABC Board is doing a release this Saturday, but considering the opportunity cost is a bottle of Blanton's the only way I'd look around is if I was beaten in line :)

I might drive a little to the further store over, here's the list of releases but they're more likely to have 4AM crazies in line.

BUFFALO TRACE BOURBON 90 PR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A000186 EAGLE RARE SINGLE BARREL BOURBON 90 PR. 10 YR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A000249 BLANTONS BOURBON 93 PR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A004271 WELLER ANTIQUE 107 BOURBON 107 PR. 7 YR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A004598 WELLER SPECIAL RESERVE 90 PR. 7 YR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A005346 E.H. TAYLOR JR. SMALL BATCH BOURBON B.I.B 100 PR. 7 YR. 750
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A005921 JOHN J. BOWMAN BOURBON 100 PR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A007045 ELIJAH CRAIG BARREL PR. BOURBON 132 PR. 12 YR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A007535 FOUR ROSES SMALL BATCH SELECT BOURBON 104 PR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A009867 OLD FORESTER SGL BARREL / BARREL STRENGTH- BARREL SELECTION
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 A010200 RUSSELL'S RESERVE BOURBON 114 PR. 13 YR. 750 ML
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 E009819 EARLY TIMES B.I.B. BOURBON 100 PR. LITER
084 9/25/2021 3974 GOVERNMENT BLVD, MOBILE, AL 36693 F004585 BUFFALO TRACE BOURBON 90 PR. 1.75 L

I’d personally get the Russel’s 13. Really good and I have not been able to find a bottle anywhere. It’s going for BTAC prices on secondary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Early Times (edit: the Bottled in Bond) is supposed to be good for how cheap it is, but the brand changed ownership recently so people seem unsure if/when what's in the bottle will change.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 21, 2021

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Lawlicaust posted:

I’d personally get the Russel’s 13. Really good and I have not been able to find a bottle anywhere. It’s going for BTAC prices on secondary.

Yeah, the Russel's Reserve is the winner here, especially compared to Blantons.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I got a Lagavullin 16 for myself when i turned 40 last month.

Then I also got Benriach "the 12" as a gift. I prefer the lagavullin, but the benriach is OK.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Tried some Maker's Mark for the first time. Don't like it.

WT101 neat had strong good flavors but also a charred note I didn't like. I'm not good at tasting notes so that might be the wrong thing to call it. But on the flipside Maker's Mark neat doesn't have anything objectionable, but also no actual good tastes either beyond an initial light sweetness. It's just sort of there.

Also made an old fashioned with each one. The WT101 one was baller AF, the charred note I didn't like went away pretty much and what was left was a boozy vanilla cinnamon bomb with sugar and more cinnamon from the bitters, it ruled. The Maker's Mark one was drinkable but had no good qualities, it was just alcohol, bitters and sugar with an orange peel. I even stuck a cherry in it in an effort to make it taste better.

WT101 neat doesn't *quite* work for me but I can understand why people dig it for the big vanilla and cinnamon spice notes that are good, but if you literally put anything in it you only taste the good stuff, while Maker's Mark was never good for me. Makers Mark also DOES have a note of bitterness I don't like that Knob Creek 9 doesn't, while KC9 also has flavors I actively like in it.

My tiers for recently tried bourbons run roughly like this:

S - N/A
A - Knob Creek 9y 100 proof, Henry McKenna 10y single barrel
B - WT101
C - Maker's Mark (see above), Four Roses Small Batch (doesn't agree with me at all), Woodford Reserve (overpriced, bad aftertaste), Basil Hayden's (overpriced)
D - Jack Daniel's Old #7

Other - It's been too long since I've had Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare to give it a fair grade now, and it's too hard to find that stuff now to care.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Given your tier list, you might consider Old Forester 1920 (my favorite of the line). I think it's fantastic as both a sipper and in a cocktail and if you're looking for easily available, it's certainly that.

Just got my first McKenna 10 and my response to it is also uncertain. Glad I only paid $50 for it; I'd be annoyed if I paid a marked-up price (some would argue the $50 is already that). Gonna pour myself another sip tonight, but in my two tries, one was fairly blah and the other positive so can't say I'm sure yet as to WHAT it is.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Memnaelar posted:

Given your tier list, you might consider Old Forester 1920 (my favorite of the line). I think it's fantastic as both a sipper and in a cocktail and if you're looking for easily available, it's certainly that.

Just got my first McKenna 10 and my response to it is also uncertain. Glad I only paid $50 for it; I'd be annoyed if I paid a marked-up price (some would argue the $50 is already that). Gonna pour myself another sip tonight, but in my two tries, one was fairly blah and the other positive so can't say I'm sure yet as to WHAT it is.

Yeah 1920 is one I'm looking at hard for my next bottle, and it's all over the place here for $60.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

1920 was very hot for me. The proof doesn’t seem to match how hot it is compared to other stuff that I’ve had. I add like half a cap full before it’s drinkable for me.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

obi_ant posted:

1920 was very hot for me. The proof doesn’t seem to match how hot it is compared to other stuff that I’ve had. I add like half a cap full before it’s drinkable for me.

It's about as hot as I'd expect on the proof, actually. May vary from bottle to bottle though.

Also, great call earlier from the poster who called McKenna BiB "musty" -- unfortunately, that permeated my brain meats and now I can't drink it without tasting that note. Maybe it'll clean up in a mixed drink but I don't think it's a sipper for me with that flavor stuck in my brain.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Seems like you like the heaven hill / beam profile which are similar
You can step it up on the knob creek with a 120 proof single barrel / store pick or baker's 107 (or bookers) even if you're willing to spend

I'd also suggest some Elijah Craig (small batch or barrel proof) as an alternative to the McKenna but heaven hill is on strike so there's a boycott right now

Old Ezra / Ezra Brooks is Heaven Hill distillate but sold by lux row so that's probably fair game and in your palate

Likewise Russell's reserve 10 year or single barrel are probably up your alley given how you liked WT101 and Rare Breed is always a crowd pleaser

Lastly, Barton stuff is pretty easy to find and 1792 small batch is probably worth a shot to see if you like their profile

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Seems like you like the heaven hill / beam profile which are similar
You can step it up on the knob creek with a 120 proof single barrel / store pick or baker's 107 (or bookers) even if you're willing to spend

I'd also suggest some Elijah Craig (small batch or barrel proof) as an alternative to the McKenna but heaven hill is on strike so there's a boycott right now

Old Ezra / Ezra Brooks is Heaven Hill distillate but sold by lux row so that's probably fair game and in your palate

Likewise Russell's reserve 10 year or single barrel are probably up your alley given how you liked WT101 and Rare Breed is always a crowd pleaser

Lastly, Barton stuff is pretty easy to find and 1792 small batch is probably worth a shot to see if you like their profile

Baker's 107 confuses me because it seems like it's competing with KC9 store barrel picks that cost the same, are older and 120 proof, and with KC12 that's similar proof (100 vs 107, so what) but much older. At least the way it's priced around here.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

sean10mm posted:

Baker's 107 confuses me because it seems like it's competing with KC9 store barrel picks that cost the same, are older and 120 proof, and with KC12 that's similar proof (100 vs 107, so what) but much older. At least the way it's priced around here.

All I know is that Bakers is normally priced at $65 around here, but I found it at a discount for $40, bought three bottles, and feel in love. It's definitely $60 value from my perspective.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I went to Travel Bar in Brooklyn this weekend.

Nikka from the Barrel was fine but unimpressive. It tasted like an Irish whiskey.

Stellum is apparently an up and comer. High proof but nothing special.

Stagg Jr batch 15 was solid but having William Larue Weller the previous weekend has basically ruined all bourbon for me.

I was gonna try Blanton’s and Elmer T. Lee side by side but had to leave beforehand.

I also went to a former student’s housewarming.

Hibiki 17 had a great nose but meh taste.

The Yamazaki 2015 was perfect.

Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection was really solid.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I finally got around to cracking open a bottle of Glendronach 12, and dios mio. That is some good poo poo. Delicious and smooth. I may like it more than any bourbon. If I can find a bottle of 15, I’m getting it.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Knob Creek 12 is great, and I agree Baker's is in a weird spot, and so is Booker's at it's new price point
But every other distillery does the same thing
McKenna competes now with ECSmB and ECBP picks
Regular ECSmB competes with Evan Williams 1783
ETL, Blanton's, RHF have negligible differences

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It sounds like the UFCW/Heaven Hill strike is dragging on, and Heaven Hill convinced a judge to grant a restraining order that will block some of the picketing.

https://www.salon.com/2021/09/17/negotiations-on-the-rocks-bourbon-giant-heaven-hill-faces-strike-as-workers-demand-respect/

https://www.kystandard.com/content/judge-grants-limited-restraining-order-heaven-hill-strike

Personally, I am going to hold off on buying Heaven Hill products until the strike is resolved Perhaps not particularly brave of me since I already have about five bottles of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof in the pantry, but it's literally the least I can do.

Looks like another Booker's week!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

High West Midwinter's Night Dram apparently releases nationwide October 1st. Goddamn I hate hunting down bottles. :negative:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I ran out of Sazerac last year and haven't been able to find it since. Found it on a shelf, got it home, fell in love again. 30 bucks a bottle.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone else tried Limavady? I bought a bottle you and the nose had a whole bunch of caramel apple and anise on the nose. It's pretty smooth for its abv.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Carillon posted:

Anyone else tried Limavady? I bought a bottle you and the nose had a whole bunch of caramel apple and anise on the nose. It's pretty smooth for its abv.

Never heard that brand before. I looked it up. How much did it cost you (you mentioned abv) and where did you buy it? I generally like Irish whiskeys and see it’s “revived.”

Carillon
May 9, 2014

DerekSmartymans posted:

Never heard that brand before. I looked it up. How much did it cost you (you mentioned abv) and where did you buy it? I generally like Irish whiskeys and see it’s “revived.”

Total wine and like 44 bucks? I heard about it (sponsored) on life behind bars podcast and it seemed fun. Works decent with soda as well.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Carillon posted:

Total wine and like 44 bucks? I heard about it (sponsored) on life behind bars podcast and it seemed fun. Works decent with soda as well.

Neat! I’ll have to check my liquor store tomorrow. I have bought more “gimmick, but still a good product” in both liquor and cigars than I care to admit. The whole “revived secret mash bill” can end up horribly disappointing or best thing ever, but I finally got comfortable with the gamble by trying dozens (maybe 100+since 2008) of different tins of pipe tobacco based on reviews instead of strictly brand-limiting choices I already knew I liked. Liquor is another product like that, but may cause you to purge if you end up trying something like Jack Daniel’s Honey :barf:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

Neat! I’ll have to check my liquor store tomorrow. I have bought more “gimmick, but still a good product” in both liquor and cigars than I care to admit. The whole “revived secret mash bill” can end up horribly disappointing or best thing ever, but I finally got comfortable with the gamble by trying dozens (maybe 100+since 2008) of different tins of pipe tobacco based on reviews instead of strictly brand-limiting choices I already knew I liked. Liquor is another product like that, but may cause you to purge if you end up trying something like Jack Daniel’s Honey :barf:

SCREWBALL! Peanut butter whisky! Enjoy responsibly.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
Compass Box has a new addition to their core range:

I haven't seen many reviews of this yet, which I usually check before buying something, but I've never had a bad bottle of Compass Box, so I felt comfortable to buy it sight unseen. It also helped that the price was right, about €40.

Has anyone tried it already?

I believe this is their first product that is made mostly from spirit that they aged themselves. Which is a brilliant move IMO because sourcing casks of whisky these days is incredibly expensive. Compass Box (and a few other independents) have had the foresight to start buying fresh distillate from the distilleries and aging them in their own casks.

This is the makeup:

39% Linkwood, 29% Clynelish, 20% Benrinnes, all first-fill bourbon barrel aged, 8% from an "undisclosed distillery near the village of Aberlour"*, 2% Caol Ila from first-fill bourbon barrels and 2% of their requisite Highland Malt Blend that they put in everything.

Most of it is 8YO, but the "near Aberlour" is 6yo and the highland blend is 10yo.

This is right up my alley. I love Linkwood, I love Clynelish even more and the rest isn't half bad either. Having them be bourbon matured and a bit younger is the right move too IMO, to bring out the fruitiness of the spirit.

*Distilleries near Aberlour: Aberlour, Craigellachie, Macallan, GlenAllachie. Could be any of these imo.

P.S: if it sounds like I'm a fanboy, well it's because I am lol.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

obi_ant posted:

SCREWBALL! Peanut butter whisky! Enjoy responsibly.

I’m not opposed to gimmick liquors (it‘s not like you’re losing anything of value by adding flavored syrup to Jack Daniels) and have several on my shelf that my wife and I like for making mixed stuff,but this poo poo seemed like it went too far even for me

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Blanton’s, Weller Antique and then while I was there a safety bottle of Sazerac and Dickel BIB. Not bad for a five hour wait in line huh

Oh and Russell Reserve was all anybody was talking about in line, and the six bottles they got went quick. So the hype is real

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Having a day so I poured some Weller Full Proof and I felt like I was drinking cough syrup for some reason - moods, eh?
Switched to a knob creek store pick and I'm much happier with this Reese's cup

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Found in khabarovsk Russia while visiting wife's family. Had this years ago but never bought a bottle. I had heard they no longer make it but not sure if that's true. All I know is I haven't seen it in years in a store.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Having a day so I poured some Weller Full Proof and I felt like I was drinking cough syrup for some reason - moods, eh?
Switched to a knob creek store pick and I'm much happier with this Reese's cup

Taste is subjective etc. but the cool whiskey kids not liking Knob Creek proves that they are not in fact cool and good, but rather bad and dumb.

Well that's my hot take for the day.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Taste is subjective etc. but the cool whiskey kids not liking Knob Creek proves that they are not in fact cool and good, but rather bad and dumb.

Well that's my hot take for the day.
Day over day I'd pick either of these over the other

The cool kids do obsess over the 14-15 year picks (this one was only 9 though), it's just the "whiskey as trading cards" group that thinks Weller is worth way more than MSRP but knob creek isn't
Both of these bottles are great $50-60 pours - it's just a shame it's so hard to get one at that price

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I finally got around to cracking open a bottle of Glendronach 12, and dios mio. That is some good poo poo. Delicious and smooth. I may like it more than any bourbon. If I can find a bottle of 15, I’m getting it.

The 15 is drat near perfect IMO. The 18 is amazing, but getting a bit dusty and musty (although this is 20+ "18"), which isn't always my thing. The 15 is just perfect for every occasion.

Was in a total wine and picked up a Knob Creek Rye store pick at 115 proof and it is really really good. One of the better ryes I've had. No frills, no fancy finish, just some hot spicy rye.

sean10mm posted:

Early Times (edit: the Bottled in Bond) is supposed to be good for how cheap it is, but the brand changed ownership recently so people seem unsure if/when what's in the bottle will change.

Depending on where you are, you can find the old stuff for the next 10 years. My local stores have just cases of it lying around on the bottom shelf next to Ancient Age and regular Early Times. It is very good.

Nimmy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 26, 2021

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Casu Marzu posted:

High West Midwinter's Night Dram apparently releases nationwide October 1st. Goddamn I hate hunting down bottles. :negative:

I’ve consigned myself to the fact that I’ll have to buy it at a significant mark up this year. Whiskey demand has gotten so ridiculous that seeing things for MSRP so rarely happens.

There’s a shop in a small town a few hours from here near Atlanta that does a markup on most rare things above retail but substantially lower than most places. I’ll probably have to make a trip up there later in the month to grab a bottle. I don’t think there’s a chance in hell of me seeing it at any store here.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Midwinter sat on shelves for MSRP for at least a month around here (NJ); hopefully the hype train still hasn't reached us yet.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I've never had trouble finding it at MSRP and at least last year every group had people posting places where they were on the shelf between 80 and 120
Might be slightly harder this year but who knows - they've been cutting skus to focus on their core, so hopefully that means more midwinter

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

This might be a dumb question couple of questions:

1) Does anybody else not like the heavily charred taste note in Wild Turkey 101? Or do other people not even taste it in the first place?
2) Do the higher end Wild Turkey/Russell's Reserve products have it?

It might just be me, but I'd love WT101 instead of just like it OK if it didn't have that "dropped a cookie in a fire until it turns into charcoal" thing going on that I don't taste in other bourbons.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

sean10mm posted:

This might be a dumb question couple of questions:

1) Does anybody else not like the heavily charred taste note in Wild Turkey 101? Or do other people not even taste it in the first place?
2) Do the higher end Wild Turkey/Russell's Reserve products have it?

It might just be me, but I'd love WT101 instead of just like it OK if it didn't have that "dropped a cookie in a fire until it turns into charcoal" thing going on that I don't taste in other bourbons.

Sounds like you're describing "Wild Turkey Funk™"
It's more pronounced in some expressions than others and some people pick it out more than others

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I just bought a handle of WT101 for the first time this month. I don’t taste any charred notes.

For me, it’s in the Four Roses Small Batch/Elijah Craig Small Batch realm of relatively fine, uninteresting bourbons. I’m planning to use it to batch drinks for a party, so that’s sort of what I wanted anyways. But normally I’ll drink my whiskey as an old fashioned, and with WT101 I’m finding that it really needs the improved whiskey cocktail treatment to satisfy.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I'm taking neat, I liked WT101 a lot better in an old fashioned FWIW

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah, 101 makes a great OF, and I don't notice anything charred about it.

Also, "improved" cocktails are great, but a "fancy" cocktail is also a good digestif and underutilized. (Sub part/all of your simple with orange liqueur [I like Grand Marnier here] but otherwise keep your standard cocktail/OF approach. Obviously if you're using orange bitters it's kinda pointless so in that case switch to ango or another aromatic.) Don't see any reason 101 wouldn't respond well to that, so I might make one tonight.

Re: whiskey chat: My local found a case of dusty Johnnie Green Label and put it out for relatively cheap; it's such a nice whisky. Would be a great "intro to scotch" since it's such a good all-rounder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I was trippin, “fancy” is actually what I do. It works great! I was sorta disappointed in the WT101 til I figured that out.