Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Entorwellian posted:

After like a 5 year hiatus, 25 years of being a gear hoarder and having a home studio, I've sold nearly all of my gear and I'm left with nothing except my Korg MS-20, the accompanying SQ-10, and an audio interface. Software-wise, I've deleted everything except Cool Edit Pro, Max/MSP/Jitter and Reaper (with pre-alpha version of Max for Reaper) It's been the most liberating thing I've done musically and I'm enjoying programming songs again for the first time in many years. I highly recommend dumping the majority of your crap if you're having motivational difficulties.

1) Commit yourself to tidying up.
2) Imagine your ideal synth
3) Finish discarding first. Before getting rid of synths, sincerely thank each item for serving its purpose.
4) Tidy by synth category, not size
5) Follow the right sub harmonic oscillator
6) Ask yourself if it sparks joy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Rutibex posted:

1) Commit yourself to tidying up.
2) Imagine your ideal synth
3) Finish discarding first. Before getting rid of synths, sincerely thank each item for serving its purpose.
4) Tidy by synth category, not size
5) Follow the right sub harmonic oscillator
6) Ask yourself if it sparks joy

Great rules to live by :dukedog:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rifter17 posted:

From a little back, but I have a system and I really like it. It scratches my modular itch. The biggest problem I have found is that it's a bit noisy. But it's very affordable, fun, and I think the community around it is very open and welcoming.

I found myself wantimg to be able to use the function generators on my volca modular as mod sources for other things, which lead me to discovering their volca modular interface module, and that started a spiral of dreaming about big racks of modules with tiny wires. What you're saying doesn't discourage that at all!

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
AE modular is also very DIY friendly because all of the signals are 0 to 5v. There was an announcement with new modules from superbooth as well. I'm a happy owner so I'll have a positive take on it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Finished my Hex Mix VCA today. Really started getting in my head towards the end of the build. this was the most expensive single module I've built since starting this in July. Got super nervous when I plugged it in, started having flashbacks to when I destroyed a $50 Diode Chaos module.

Luckily everything worked right off the bat, and calibration went off without a hitch. Now I have 8 VCAs instead of 2, and I'm thinking about that Zlob Vnlcursal VCA. :sickos: You really can never have too many VCAs.

Here's a more aggressive, noisey example with a lot of the different types of noise from the Entropy and its Expander. Pitch changes are coming from the Entropy S&H, which is changing based on the random triggers from the Diode Chaos. The random gates from the Entropy Expander trigger the Befaco VC ADSR, and the State Gates on that are controlling the volume for three other sound sources.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkTh8LEr6nE

Here's a slightly less aggressive, less noisey example of the above. The dual VCOs from the Paia really shine through here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSo8gQ_XxBE

I don't know why the video is so dark, I'm not sitting in the dark IRL. :shrug:

The Korg MS2000R is sold, and the Maths is on its way.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

omg my husband got me the greatest birthday gift ever

I completely forgot how to use it since I owned it last but its kind of sentimental because I had to sell it for rent money when I was going through a rough time right before I met him.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

inferis posted:

I completely forgot how to use it since I owned it last but its kind of sentimental because I had to sell it for rent money when I was going through a rough time right before I met him.

:3:

Enjoy it! You deserve it. Hit us with some bleep bloops from it sometime yeah?

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

inferis posted:

…does he have a sister?

What a pro tier husband move 🥺 that rules

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Here's a more aggressive, noisey example with a lot of the different types of noise from the Entropy and its Expander. Pitch changes are coming from the Entropy S&H, which is changing based on the random triggers from the Diode Chaos. The random gates from the Entropy Expander trigger the Befaco VC ADSR, and the State Gates on that are controlling the volume for three other sound sources.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkTh8LEr6nE

slap some reverb on that and presto, you’ve scored a 90s sci-fi horror film!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I am pleased because not much here gives me a sense of "drat, now I need the new one".

gently caress that is an annoying video though. The guy showing off the keyboards is bogus.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

inferis posted:

:getin:

I know how it feels to sell an instrument you love to make life work, it sucks a whole lot. Glad you got one back!

Looks like you figured out how to get the cow out, the rest isn’t really that important.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ornament and Crime assembled and working!!!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

dexefiend posted:

Ornament and Crime assembled and working!!!

:getin:

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Wish those plum audio through hole OCPs would come back in stock

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is it weird that I want to trade my MPC One for an MPC1k? I feel like I want something with LESS features, not MORE. I find myself just constantly fiddling with the plugins or other things instead of just making music. 1Ks aren't super cheap but maybe this is one of those things where I get one, spend a month with it and keep the one I feel more comfortable with.

I feel like maybe down the road I'd regret selling the One because I do love its portability and it's basically as close to a portable DAW as you'll get without being tied to a laptop or iPad. And I do like the MPC workflow.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 21, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I miss my 1000 sometimes. it was a tank

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Why are 1ks more than 2500s rn?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I find myself just constantly fiddling with the plugins or other things instead of just making music.
It pays off more in the long run to learn to resist temptation without being forced to.

That said, the MPC1K has one of the most fun sequencers I've ever used.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

I find myself just constantly fiddling with the plugins or other things instead of just making music.

I fiddle and play around with new toys until one day something snaps in my brain and now I'm obsessed and must create something using all thing things i have been playing with. I think my brain is doing some kind of work in the background but gently caress if i know how that works :shrug:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Totally respect that it’s better in the long run to learn to avoid distractions, but somehow I feel like by the time I learn this lesson I’ll be 80 and riddled with too much arthritis to hit any pads.

I meant to also say I’m very very very much not a fan of the One’s touch UI. If I could somehow have a few more buttons to just move around the screen then I’d probably be satisfied, but SOMETHING about jamming my finger onto the interface just feels unpleasant. Like it somehow takes me out of it. Feels very imprecise and while I can do a lot of things with qlinks I just feel very ehh about the whole experience.

I had a little spare cash sitting in my fun-toys savings account this month so I just grabbed a 1K on Reverb. I’ll use both for a month or so but if I like the 1K I don’t really feel bad about selling the One or trading it for some kind of mobile synth. It’s current hardware so if I really really want one I can source one no problem, and I doubt they’ll stop iterating on the platform so it’ll only get “better”, so to speak.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Well, if you end up with too many synths, I have what used to be a NR CX-4, but is now totally useless, which I'd be happy to trade for any synth, provided there was a way to do that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

B33rChiller posted:

Well, if you end up with too many synths, I have what used to be a NR CX-4, but is now totally useless, which I'd be happy to trade for any synth, provided there was a way to do that.

the car, the gun, or the ultra sound machine?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeVW65Q46go

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

haha. It's a 9mm.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

haha. It's a 9mm.

Seems like you could come up with more effective ways of getting more gear out of it. Teach a man to fish and all that.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Is it weird that I want to trade my MPC One for an MPC1k? I feel like I want something with LESS features, not MORE. I find myself just constantly fiddling with the plugins or other things instead of just making music. 1Ks aren't super cheap but maybe this is one of those things where I get one, spend a month with it and keep the one I feel more comfortable with.

I feel like maybe down the road I'd regret selling the One because I do love its portability and it's basically as close to a portable DAW as you'll get without being tied to a laptop or iPad. And I do like the MPC workflow.

I have a MPC 1K with JJOS set up as the brain of my studio and its great for coming up with new ideas. Since the features are much more limited than the One it forces you to focus on the beats or the melodies themselves instead of adjusting EQ and compressor settings for 15 minutes. I spend so much time staring at a monitor or touchscreen that it's also nice to NOT stare at one when making music. I like coming up with rough versions of a song on the MPC, then sending all the midi and audio to ableton to finish everything up there.

That being said, I really wish it could live loop audio or had a few internal synth sounds. I'm thinking of picking up an akai force or an MPC one to complement the 1K. Editing Midi is also a real pain, but that just means I should get better at playing.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

watho posted:

slap some reverb on that and presto, you’ve scored a 90s sci-fi horror film!

I did another one with a little bit of reverb added in Logic afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2sctFnqDCU

I didn't realize the yellow cable going into the Bad Comrade wasn't plugged into anything until I was editing. :shrug:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stabbing Spork posted:

I have a MPC 1K with JJOS set up as the brain of my studio and its great for coming up with new ideas. Since the features are much more limited than the One it forces you to focus on the beats or the melodies themselves instead of adjusting EQ and compressor settings for 15 minutes. I spend so much time staring at a monitor or touchscreen that it's also nice to NOT stare at one when making music. I like coming up with rough versions of a song on the MPC, then sending all the midi and audio to ableton to finish everything up there.

That being said, I really wish it could live loop audio or had a few internal synth sounds. I'm thinking of picking up an akai force or an MPC one to complement the 1K. Editing Midi is also a real pain, but that just means I should get better at playing.

Yeah I think that's my take on it too. It would be pretty cool if I could import the JJOS projects from 1K into the One to continue developing the project on a more robust platform, but I guess at that point I would be done with the "ideation" phase and likely a computer based DAW might be just as usable. Still really waffling on the One but I'm not going to make any rash decisions. If it has a place in the workflow I've already spent the money and might keep it, but if it makes sense to trade it up for a different music maker and leave the advanced project editing to Ableton or Mac-based MPC Software then that's probably fine too.

I have surprisingly little to show for my time with the One or Tracker, but I have gotten much more ideation done on the Polyend just because it's intuitive workflow and limited featureset just make me do a music and nothing more. I'm not really enough of a whiz at this stuff to figure out mastering and all that so my projects mostly just live on the SD card and die in obscurity once I move onto something else, but it's fun as hell to just mess around and make music, even if only for myself :)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Because I am insane unobservant, I have just noticed after having my Maschine Mikro for 18 months that I can map the modwheel to sample start position.

This is a game changer

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Plug-in Boutique is selling something called the Komplete Classics collection right now. It’s FM8, Absynth, Massive, and Replika for 100 bucks.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/deals/show?sale_id=8521

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 22, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
omg! fm8 is imredible

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Can aftertouch messages go down to 0? I'm adjusting the aftertouch sensor I bumped while fixing some keys in the dx7

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That seems like it should be a note off event but idk

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Think I got it set close enough, lowest it'll consistently go is 2 and it'll go up to 127 without too much force in most areas.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

echinopsis posted:

omg! fm8 is imredible

:hai:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My kingdom for a portable hardware device for something I can load Kontakt libraries into and trigger over MIDI.

Something not called a laptop, I mean.

e: I guess Pipes theoretically exists?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 23, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Martytoof posted:

My kingdom for a portable hardware device for something I can load Kontakt libraries into and trigger over MIDI.

Something not called a laptop, I mean.

e: I guess Pipes theoretically exists?

There's also stuff like this:

https://moddevices.com/products/mod-duo-x/

But it won't run Kontakt. It does have fluidsynth for sf2 if you're OK with dated stuff like that.

Or you can get something like an Intel NUC plus a touchscreen plus a USB sound+MIDI device and roll your own. That would get you something running Windows, and Kontakt or whatever software you like, for much less than a MacBook.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is pretty awesome. My only real want for NKI support is because the only good Taiko drum libraries seem to be in Kontakt form :[

All the free one-shots I find have stuff like stage reverb already applied, boo.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004
Maschine+ can (unofficially) run a bunch of Kontakt and Reaktor stuff, but seems pretty hit and miss.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah honestly my best bet would be to just buy the Kontakt patch and sample in what I need. Not sure whether it would work since I want to keep the free kontakt player but the demo mode limitations are probably fine for 5 minutes of sampling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Looks like TipTop's making licensed Buchla eurorack modules the way Behringer made Arp 2500 eurorack modules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avhIc0p4zeM

It's neat, but those modules look a bit chonky.