Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Just saw the curbes lurb flyer for the first time in years and had a good 10 minute laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I accidentally ingested NFL twice this week and am considering reviving something approximating adult onset fanhood. Sell me on your team.....

Sincerely,
A jaded former WFT fan who viscerally hates the Washington franchise and Dan Snyder but has difficulty imagining liking another franchise

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Since when has hating your NFL team kept anyone from continuing to watch and root for them? That’s the NFL experience in a nutshell

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Since when has hating your NFL team kept anyone from continuing to watch and root for them? That’s the NFL experience in a nutshell

There's hating your team and then there's your team being owned by Dan Snyder. But I know you know this already.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Grittybeard posted:

There's hating your team and then there's your team being owned by Dan Snyder. But I know you know this already.

Then there's your team being owned by the one owner worse than Snyder AND their franchise QB being a sexual predator

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Pron on VHS posted:

Just saw the curbes lurb flyer for the first time in years and had a good 10 minute laugh

Cool Shirtman and the inclusion of actual name Colton Burpo always make me lose it

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

It's a little different with Washington. But I grew up on Hog o-lines and Byner and Riggins and Rypien and Williams and Clark and Green....

But honestly gently caress Dan Snyder and all the bullshit of the past 20 whatever years and decades of blatant mascot racism.

So.....should I stay regional? Sam Darnold looked good for the Panthers but I struggle with classist associations of the Panthers with walmart tweety bird shirts.

Ravens looked great. Falcons are bad enough historically but close enough that it doesn't feel weird....and I'm already a Braves fan (I know...racism but I watched Cabrera drive in Bream live and jumped around the living room with my dad when I was 9 years old and that poo poo really dies hard).

Or should I just go for pure entertainment? Packers looked great last night. Rams?

SELL me.

E: Or don't. It's not important. I just haven't paid enough attention to really develop new rooting interests and now I kind of want to.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 22, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

SELL me.

E: Or don't. It's not important. I just haven't paid enough attention to really develop new rooting interests and now I kind of want to.

Maybe give the Bills a shot? Odds are they'll disappoint you in the end but their fans are insane and recklessly funny (also disgustingly funny). And they're also somehow not guaranteed to disappoint you like they have been for the last couple of decades but it's too early to call you a bandwagoner if you get into them now.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My grandma's been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis and the doctors are saying she may be in the hospital for a month if she can get through this initial phase but that she may also not make it out and die there. The goal is definitely to try and get her to the point where she can have low flow oxygen and a regular nasal cannula instead of her high flow 90% oxygen (I think, the more nitty gritty details) and can go home. I don't know how to feel and I'm not ready for this. My grandpa can't even see her since they're not allowing visitors due to COVID so it's hard. I've talked to her and she says she's feeling better and I've been texting cat pictures and dumb football stuff that she can enjoy. I'm going back down to help my grandpa and my mom but it feels so surreal. She was pretty healthy and we all finally got to see each other for the first time in over a year for her birthday last month.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Its Rinaldo posted:

I still don’t know what 9/21 is

Today in God's Timezone.

E: I should hit refresh before posting 😐

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 22, 2021

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

LeeMajors posted:

I accidentally ingested NFL twice this week and am considering reviving something approximating adult onset fanhood. Sell me on your team.....

Sincerely,
A jaded former WFT fan who viscerally hates the Washington franchise and Dan Snyder but has difficulty imagining liking another franchise

Do chargers because Herbie :3

Do Rams because Stafford redemption tour + Ramsey + Donald.

Do Seahawks because fourth quarter chaos.

Do Ravens because Lamar.

Do cocaine because.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My grandma's been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis

Ugh, best of luck to her. I'm glad she's able to use a phone to get stuff like cute pictures at least it sounds like? I've got some older relatives that would not be able to manage that and it bugs me thinking about how awful it would be to go through something like that with no way to communicate or me being able to try to get them to smile for a second at all.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My grandma's been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis and the doctors are saying she may be in the hospital for a month if she can get through this initial phase but that she may also not make it out and die there. The goal is definitely to try and get her to the point where she can have low flow oxygen and a regular nasal cannula instead of her high flow 90% oxygen (I think, the more nitty gritty details) and can go home. I don't know how to feel and I'm not ready for this. My grandpa can't even see her since they're not allowing visitors due to COVID so it's hard. I've talked to her and she says she's feeling better and I've been texting cat pictures and dumb football stuff that she can enjoy. I'm going back down to help my grandpa and my mom but it feels so surreal. She was pretty healthy and we all finally got to see each other for the first time in over a year for her birthday last month.

Dang, rooting for your grandma. Hopefully you & your family can visit while she's in the hospital.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Pron on VHS posted:

I saw a commercial for Dancing With the Stars during MNF, and after the third name in a row that I didn't recognize, my brain started filling in the names from the flyer when they showed the next person.

I think the only one I actually had any clue who it was was Brian Austin Greene, and that wasn't from watching 90210 (I had to look this up to make sure he wasn't on Melrose Place), but just from cultural absorption.

MMMMMMLLLLurp

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Grittybeard posted:

Ugh, best of luck to her. I'm glad she's able to use a phone to get stuff like cute pictures at least it sounds like? I've got some older relatives that would not be able to manage that and it bugs me thinking about how awful it would be to go through something like that with no way to communicate or me being able to try to get them to smile for a second at all.

She's only 72 and for a while was ahead of me on the smart phone curve. She got the first iPhone as soon as it came out and has never looked back. My grandpa can't really text or do much with his phone so it's a lot harder for them to communicate but they've got FB messenger set up at least. My little sister and mom are going over tomorrow to help with the computer and bills since grandma's got everything set up online and grandpa's never been much of a computer guy either.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Dang, rooting for your grandma. Hopefully you & your family can visit while she's in the hospital.

Unless the COVID rate goes down in their county/more people get vaccinated we're probably waiting until she discharges or gets sick enough that the hospital will let us do a goodbye visit. I'm really hoping she'll pull through enough to go home so we can at least have one last get together.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Abugadu posted:

I saw a commercial for Dancing With the Stars during MNF, and after the third name in a row that I didn't recognize, my brain started filling in the names from the flyer when they showed the next person.

I think the only one I actually had any clue who it was was Brian Austin Greene, and that wasn't from watching 90210 (I had to look this up to make sure he wasn't on Melrose Place), but just from cultural absorption.

MMMMMMLLLLurp

Liar! Hey everyone this dude watched 90210!

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
My mom is 70 and scheduled her booster shot for this week and she started ranting about how she wishes Covid was deadlier to kill more anti-vax people because for the most part they and their anti-vax politicians are not being punished enough for being dumb and keeping the pandemic around forever. I wonder what her username is.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 22, 2021

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

BlindSite posted:

Liar! Hey everyone this dude watched 90210!

I wish, I only watched jock shows like DS9 and Danger Theater.

Also, TIL that Hilary Swank was in 90210.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

My mom is 70 and scheduled her booster shot for this week and she started ranting about how she wishes Covid was deadlier to kill more anti-vax people because for the most part they and their anti-vax politicians are not being punished enough for being dumb and keeping the pandemic around forever. I wonder what her username is.

lol.

I played an early flash game named Pandemic or something close to that that allowed you to create a bacteria/virus/parasite to try to obliterate the world. If you made it too deadly too early, island countries would close their borders entirely and survive. Madagascar and Greenland were always the pains in the rear end. I don't remember New Zealand being particularly difficult though.

The key to 'winning' it was to have it start slowly, not be too deadly at first, spread everywhere, then develop a mutation that made it lethal. Viruses tended to do better than bacteria or parasites, for obvious reasons.

So, just waiting for the Omicron variant or whatever to wipe out the human race.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

SELL me.

I'd recommend picking a team with a decently large fanbase that will guarantee that you get to watch a large percentage of your games. I've been blessed that the Packers get a lot of Primetime or flexed games, and dominate a lot of TV conflict schedules, but I'd probably only get to watch one or two games here per season if I were a Falcons/Colts/Cardinals fan or whatever.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Speaking of hosed up names, these are all ostensibly real names

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1440486671863062543?s=19

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1440488618192084992?s=19

Gunnar Thorderson

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Is "Basic Facts Matter" a play off of "Black Lives Matter" because wtf dude

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Is "Basic Facts Matter" a play off of "Black Lives Matter" because wtf dude

There's money to be made if you're a PoC who's willing to tell white folks that all lives matter!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Keep in mind a couple of factors:

• Generally people become diehard fans through a really strong emotional connection -- going to college and following the football team there, or watching with family and cheering because they cheer for them too. It can be hard to approach this as a rational thought experiment.
  • Nobody is holding a gun to your head to force you to make another choice right now.
  • ...and even if you chose today, in my experience it takes some real time for that seed to grow.
  • Cheering for the chaos as somebody who just likes the sport and is trying to gain an emotional connection is also a Perfectly Valid position

as somebody who's gotten into non-American sports in college and afterwards, it's finding that emotional connection or link and applying time to it that matters the most. And as somebody who's now perfectly neutral, you can choose what matters based on your access -- only getting the locally and nationally broadcast games? find a team that's good. Want to follow a player because they do insane things on the field? Always a good reason.

The only other thing I'd advise: don't set your standards based on other fans. There are always insane fans of every team, and better fans of every team. We're here, for gently caress's sake, we know that better than most all football fans.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
90210 talk?!? Time for my favorite joke!

So we know that Beverly Hills zip code is 90210, but what is Dawson’s Creek’s?

90108…..for my liiiife to be oveeerrr

:haw:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Morgann

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Get a brain, morgonn.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Sincerely,

You’re already in Carolina.

Now would be the time to jump on that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you like the feel of moral superiority you get from hating your team, might I suggest a different NFC South team. Billionaire racist pedophile-defending gold-digger owner, rapist QB, entitled fanbase that you get to watch jumping off the bandwagon in real time.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Clearly we must find the common ground with these people.

There is no such thing as a reluctant Trump voter. No one voting for Trump was ever on the fence.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Abugadu posted:

lol.

I played an early flash game named Pandemic or something close to that that allowed you to create a bacteria/virus/parasite to try to obliterate the world. If you made it too deadly too early, island countries would close their borders entirely and survive. Madagascar and Greenland were always the pains in the rear end. I don't remember New Zealand being particularly difficult though.

The key to 'winning' it was to have it start slowly, not be too deadly at first, spread everywhere, then develop a mutation that made it lethal. Viruses tended to do better than bacteria or parasites, for obvious reasons.

So, just waiting for the Omicron variant or whatever to wipe out the human race.

Lol I remember playing this a ton on Newgrounds I think. There’s a tabletop version that’s been around for a while now with a Legacy version too! I’ve been wanting to try it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Fantastic!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Right? Rebuilding and theyre local to you. Go Carolina Panthers. They’re ditched the rapey owner too, so morality stays good

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah I'd go Panthers, or Ravens if you want to maintain the DMV connection and want an AFC team instead. Competently run, nice stadium. Could be worse.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

I know this is the obvious choice……:sigh:

harperdc posted:

Keep in mind a couple of factors:
*snip*
The only other thing I'd advise: don't set your standards based on other fans. There are always insane fans of every team, and better fans of every team. We're here, for gently caress's sake, we know that better than most all football fans.

Thanks for the big effort post! I definitely get the last part—I’ve been diehard in CFB since like 1988 and I’ve seen lots of lovely people of every fan base—even my own.

I know I can’t just will a fan hood into existence. I’ve just kind of put the NFL in a box in the attic for at least fifteen years (or whenever it was Snyder shelled out 100M for Haynesworth….or maybe it was the Zorn era…or the draft pick debacle in 2000…..) and I kind of miss watching with rooting interest.

Just wish I’d grown up cheering for any other franchise than Washington.

And the panthers still feel like a fake team in Madden or something. Or one of the FCS East teams in NCAA. Yes I know it’s been almost 30 years.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

This will be stuck in my head for the next twelve hours despite not knowing any further lyrics.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Spoeank posted:

Speaking of hosed up names, these are all ostensibly real names

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1440488618192084992?s=19

Gunnar Thorderson

Cup of Joe guy looks like he would be bullied on the set of his own show. Also it took me a second to realize it was two different blonde women on Going Through It.

Thorderson reminds me a friend from high school had her first kid last week and named him Odin, which, uh, wouldn't be my first choice.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
About to check out Star Wars Visions, hope its fun. I like that they are all short form or varying lengths, so hopefully a story without filler or cutting things.

Also, thr newest What If is so much fun.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pardon the Insurrection with Clay Travis and General Dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Pain of Mind posted:

Your mom's right.

So, so many punchable faces.

LeeMajors posted:

Sincerely,

Become a fan of the one and only socialist football team: The Green Bay Football Packers (bitch)