Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/wrb91/status/1440417475108081670/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I still wonder if that was a mistake given that the domestic policies like public utilities and a national investment bank and common grounds trusts and building more industry seemed to go over better with the general electorate than perceived internationalism.

I think that's a personality thing rather than a strategic thing, if only because all of the people really passionate about domestic policy got shanked by Kinnock in the 80s.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

drat

Someone fired 3 gunshots just across the street from where I live about 15 mins ago and I believe someone has been murdered

And you're still posting? This is the problem with bitcoin, you just can't get refunds.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

All of the ones screaming that he's gone full Turbostalin because of the NI increase, even though pre-Thatcher Tories were forever tinkering with tax rates. Even Thatcher increased employee NI contributions multiple times as a stealthy tax rise to make the numbers look better (and possibly because it hosed over labour-intensive industries considerably more than it did the booming financial sector).

Ah right ok. Tbh I've been assuming nobody gives a poo poo about that latest screaming either.

When's the vote though? Might we see an actual rebellion? Obviously Starmer will three line whip for increasing the tax of the poorest which will cause it to pass anyway

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

This website that generates faces using machine learning is already more advanced than Keith.

https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

drat

Someone fired 3 gunshots just across the street from where I live about 15 mins ago and I believe someone has been murdered

trying to get that alibi established early I see

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

kingturnip posted:

What the gently caress is that facial expression?
It's like Tesla designed a robot to mimic human expressions

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 21, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

New RoboCop is looking well poo poo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well yeah, the original would have been poo poo too if the twist around the 4th prime directive had been changed to him just shouting it from the beginning.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

This is way better than Starmer.

Is that the main or the snack?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eggs are main, egg water is snack.

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1440394229948174351

Just...guh....do you think the people that write this honestly even believe it anymore?

Guys, serious question, when do things start getting better? Like at what point does someone grab the controls and pull us out of societal nose dive?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think a different - and I suspect much more accurate - reason why nobody was talking about it was it was still the ground state against which any pamphleteer wishes to show a contrast. The Corbyn manifestos were really just mildly-updated versions of the Bevan side of the post-war compromise - take out renationalising the coal mines and steel mills for unfortunately obvious reasons, replace them with pledges to create new wind turbine factories. Nobody was talking about this as a platform because the Right of the party still believe "Tories, but less so" is the only route to power (either through naivety or enlightened self-interest) and the Left of the party weren't expecting being near power so had to ration what little political capital they had in individual battles against foreign policy rather than domestic, while the harder left, purged in the 80s and 90s, had no real reason to advocate parliamentary solutions to problems.

Given *Corbyn* didn't expect to be leader until they counted the votes, it's perhaps not surprising that the first year or so was spent flailing and grabbing at straws being proferred by the Right - but also that McDonnell spent the first year blanking Blanchflower et. al. until they stropped off (and briefed hard against him in the lead up to the Chicken Coup).

If I believed Johnson had a political agenda rather than simply following the path of least resistance, I'd call it the Tory equivalent of Corbynism - a return to a hazily-defined but strongly-felt "traditional" Conservatism - the sort of flag-waving, throwing threepenny bits from the Bentley to the local tykes, "jolly hard workers if they have white leadership" Tory that everyone assumed Thatcher had obliterated, and it's having similarly discombobulating effects on Tory thinkers as Corbynism because they've gotten so used to the incredibly narrow parameters of post-1997 British politics.

Fwiw, the Green New Deal manifesto long predated Corbynism (e.g., e.g.). Its key members like Richard Murphy went on to be major Corbynomics advisors. That's how Corbyn comes to have a GND programme by Conference 2015 - it was not a substitute of Bevan but instead a wholly-formed programme that could be cribbed from an existing group.

The important point rather was that Corbyn was open to picking such a group - even though it was heavily tied to Green and pan-Green party networks (Caroline Lucas was literally a member), its bills were not those Corbyn had supported, and not especially schmoozy with the traditional Labour left machines that backed Corbyn. Very much in the mode of 2015-mindset Owen Jones - open to celebrating Corbynism but quick to forecast its oncoming death and necessary replacement with something else. Conversely there a lot of factions - CND, pre-constitution-change Momentum, etc. - that would much rather have seen Corbynism veer off in other ideological directions

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am not sure historically speaking that there is any suggestion that ever happens. It just gets worse while "things can only get better" bla(i)res from the other room.

I guess the only "good" outcome would be if the motion cannot pass conference, but I am not optimistic about that, I would expect it to be stuffed with lovely right wing delegates or they just ignore the floor and make up that it passed.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 22, 2021

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think the real answer for Keith's latest worthless plan is that the unions say "lol, gently caress off".
He then takes it to conference and the leadership allow some left-wing groups/events to take place, so that they can promptly throw everyone involved out of the conference.
This allows Keith and the 7 MPs wanking to nazi propaganda videos in a back room to pass the motion unopposed.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

History is full of times things got better, and full of times things got worse. There's no directive to move in either direction, or time period of a counterswing. No one would have predicted Corbynism in 2015, no one would have predicted a pandemic in 2020. Things may change next year, things might not change for a decade. That's life for you.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Actually dom cummies did predict the coronavirus pandemic, he said so in his blog. He even went back and edited it after the fact to make it super clear he was predicting it as well

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Bit of bodge tape will patch it up and it should go fine

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gary Neville calling the Opposition poo poo on BBC Breakfast is good imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Eggs are main, egg water is snack.
Conference Starmer and the Wet Egg Flavored Water

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It wasn't just cummins who knew.

"Nostradamus, Les Prophéties 1555" posted:

In the feeble lists, great calamity through America and Lombardy. The fire in the ship, plague and captivity; Mercury in Sagittarius, Saturn warning.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

When you do a click and collect order from wickes and choose to check out as a guest, it asks you to give the first line of your address. As you type this in, the autocomplete box appears with a whole bunch of suggested addresses. Is this everyone else who has ever guest shopped at wickes addresses? That seems a bit bad.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

When you do a click and collect order from wickes and choose to check out as a guest, it asks you to give the first line of your address. As you type this in, the autocomplete box appears with a whole bunch of suggested addresses. Is this everyone else who has ever guest shopped at wickes addresses? That seems a bit bad.

Isn't it just pulling from a national database of addresses? That's what it does on Irish sites

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

*Probably* not, it's probably all suggestions from the Royal Mail database, which is bad but in a complete waste of time and resources way.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
lol labour is a loving lost cause

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Have you put your postcode in at any point?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

but i tested it with my old address that I don't think i had ordered from wickes but is definitely like on the royal mail main list and it wasn't on this autocomplete list.

Jedit posted:

Have you put your postcode in at any point?

no

example:

I think there are more than the like 12 addresses there in the country with "10" in them, why those ones only are suggested? I suppose they've all got 10 in then twice, the most 10est addresses but still something is off.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 22, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

*Probably* not, it's probably all suggestions from the Royal Mail database, which is bad but in a complete waste of time and resources way.
I've seen a new Google thing on a bunch of sites now that has a list of every address on earth so you start typing 123 My Street and get 123 My Street, Pendleton, OR, USA, 123 My Street, Alice Springs, NT, Australia, etc. before you actually get the one you were looking for.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

example:

I think there are more than the like 12 addresses there in the country with "10" in them, why those ones only are suggested?

OK, yeah, that's definitely a security breach. Get that poo poo reported.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/jackbern23/status/1440247614079864843

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's just fuzzy matching on a huge list of addresses and trying to show you the most relevant, that's why they're all "10, 10" - these are the top UK addresses with the most 10 in them. The address box on https://darksky.net does something similar. Postcode is usually asked first because it narrows it way down for the matcher.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah it's just searching the royal mail database of addresses but doing it in the most inefficient manner possible.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

^^^ yeah what these guys say

Jedit posted:

OK, yeah, that's definitely a security breach. Get that poo poo reported.

I've tried some more and actually I think its just weird and only ever suggests 10 addresses and is a bit weird about how it chooses them. I won't burn wickes to the ground on this one yet. But I'm watching them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I had to confirm on WhoSampled, but apparently yes Cranberries-Zombie has been sampled a surprising number of times

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Help, Belarusian gangs found out I shop at Wickes and now they've hacked my Flymo to remotely start up at 4am every night unless I pay them Bitcoin

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Keith 'Itanium' Starmer

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

If the relaunch predictions were for "Badly" then they were quite accurate.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Help, Belarusian gangs found out I shop at Wickes and now they've hacked my Flymo to remotely start up at 4am every night unless I pay them Bitcoin

It was a weird thing that was all. Its explained now. But youre very funny.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Overminty posted:

Keith 'Itanium' Starmer

What was that other popular graph that was extremely wrong in all of its predictions? On the tip of my brain...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It was a weird thing that was all. Its explained now. But youre very funny.

:tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

What was that other popular graph that was extremely wrong in all of its predictions? On the tip of my brain...
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Any relaunch now...