Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

indigi posted:

wtf is congestion pricing

communism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

tolls where, like on bridges/tunnels, so if you stay in your borough(s) you’re basically fine? or just random streets?

implementation varies. usually it's travelling through neighborhoods/districts/areas at various license-plate-billing-tracking systems (like fastrak or ezpass or w/e) point of entries and exits because that's the cheapest place to put as minimum as possible, but can sometimes specific streets even just one street, or all* the streets.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

tolls where, like on bridges/tunnels, so if you stay in your borough(s) you’re basically fine? or just random streets?

think of it like a city wall, only crossing the boundary incurs the toll. london's had one for years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_congestion_charge

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

congestion pricing is good and they should do it

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

congestion pricing is good and they should do it

I already said that.

ArmZ posted:

communism!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
we should abolish all tolls, gas taxes, car taxes, and subsidize gas and cars so poor people can get to work on time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Xaris posted:

implementation varies. usually it's travelling through neighborhoods/districts/areas at various license-plate-billing-tracking systems (like fastrak or ezpass or w/e) point of entries and exits because that's the cheapest place to put as minimum as possible, but can sometimes specific streets even just one street, or all* the streets.

wow I bet the nypd doesn’t abuse this information at all

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

we should abolish all tolls, gas taxes, car taxes, and subsidize gas and cars so poor people can get to work on time

actually nigeria's policy

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

paul_soccer12 posted:

cars are extremely convenient if you have to move something from point a to point b. imo.

sounds good, we should make them a requirement to do absolutely anything

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm no longer in NYC (Chicago is my new haunt now, it's cool), anyway:

1) It's chronically underfunded, but what will probably happen, assuming the greater US doesn't collapse, is that the next time the subway system gets destroyed in a Sandy style disaster. They will get a huge injection of federal dollars and will restore the "important" lines that go into manhattan/financial district (123,456), they will drag rear end on the outer borough lines (AC. F, JZ, R). As super storms are goign to be more common, eventually the slow grifter pace of repairs won't be able to keep up and they will start limiting service on those lines. AFAIK the MTA still isn't 24hrs after the covid modification last year.

2) lol.
"Lieutenant Governor Hochul has supported congestion pricing in the past, but the pace and timing is something she will need to evaluate further given the constantly changing impact of Covid-19 on commuters,"

3) This has been happening on and off all over the city and I'm sure we will see more and more of that, but the idea of a "Car Free" City is a pipedream.

the subway is back to 24 hour service

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's not THAT bad a song

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Ironically I see a lot of greyhounds in NYC because they're supposed to be great apartment dogs... they sleep on the couch like 18 hours a day... Literally one of the dogs you need a car for least

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

car owners and operators are dumb as poo poo what do you expect, i almost got murded this morning on my commute i felt the extended truck mirror clip my helmet.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

drivers are dumb for sure but I’ve seen far more bikers drive directly into a stationary object and wipe out so idk if they’re any better

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

drivers are dumb for sure but I’ve seen far more bikers drive directly into a stationary object and wipe out so idk if they’re any better

you can't see any potential difference

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

you can't see any potential difference

yeah I see way more cars on a day to day basis so the rate stats on bike crashes have to be insane

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I have seen more cars maim people than I have cyclists falling down due to their own stupidity.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

yeah I see way more cars on a day to day basis so the rate stats on bike crashes have to be insane

sigh

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

Ironically I see a lot of greyhounds in NYC because they're supposed to be great apartment dogs... they sleep on the couch like 18 hours a day... Literally one of the dogs you need a car for least

yes they don't do poo poo, but I still brought my previous greyhound to a lot of stuff, especially when she was younger. Meet and greets at various pet stores, homes of other people who had greyhounds, etc.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

indigi posted:

yeah cyclists can be clumsy but nothing is built for them. imagine you're left-handed and trying to make your way in a world that is built for righties.

and there are loving righties everywhere and they are extremely aggressive and they move loving fast. sometimes a righty will see a lefty and say "hey gently caress you lefty human being" and sometimes a righty won't see a lefty and then vaporize all of their internal organs.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Suplex Liberace posted:

I have seen more cars maim people than I have cyclists falling down due to their own stupidity.

that’s wild. I’ve never seen anyone maimed buy a car, the few accidents I’ve seen happen everyone walked away from (not counting horrific highway accident aftermaths, I’m sure some people got dead there)

e: oh I did see someone on a motorcycle wipe out at an intersection and have their head run over. it was fuckin so much blood. but thankfully the helmet just deformed instead of cracking open and spared me seeing the worst. that counts as a car accident imo

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
accidents

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Every time. every single time lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cars are easily the most complex machine most people will operate in their lives and they can kill really really easily since they contain a ton of energy and require attentive focus at all times - lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

require attentive focus at all times - lol

*texting on my phone while smoking and doing makeup*

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i
i hate
i hate cars

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

the best is when the local news says “a car hit a pedestrian today”, and not “a person driving a car”

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

yard salad posted:

the best is when the local news says “a car hit a pedestrian today”, and not “a person driving a car”

a pedestrian was struck in a car-involved traffic collision

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Buffalo, NY

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yard salad posted:

it's weird that there isn't a commonly used word for someone driving a car. if you were to say "driver" here, it sort of sounds like a commercial/professional driver. you could say "cyclist" and it's unambiguous. "a cyclist struck a pedestrian" vs. "a driver struck a pedestrian", you're right that the media and most regular people would choose to say "a car struck a pedestrian" instead. in rally we call the crew of a car the pilot/co-pilot (from french) or the driver/co-driver, but again, it's in a setting where that wording is unambiguous

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

1st time a car hit me I was stopped at a red and the car pulled up after me split my lane then when the light turned green they turned directly into me and knocked me onto their hood. Gave me like a whoopsie doo smile and left.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

vyelkin posted:

i
i hate
i hate cars

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

vyelkin posted:

Buffalo, NY

lol it really is astounding how much worse we made cities, look at this poo poo

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Buffalo, NY

it's my belief that cars have made people deeply antisocial... to get around buffalo in the 1950s picture, you have to encounter lots of other people... the second picture looks ugly to us itt, but if you asked a bunch of suburbanites which town they'd rather navigate, they'd probably pick the second because it because it means they can travel to their destination in a sealed steel box without having to see or hear anybody else. the average 2021 suburbanite would have 100 panic attacks if they needed to navigate the town in the first picture to go buy toilet paper

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

...the media and most regular people would choose to say "a car struck a pedestrian" instead.

This is a feature not a bug! drivers used to be much more visible in older cars... the first cars were essentially convertibles. As time has gone on, car design has evolved to make the driver more anonymous. when's the last time you saw a convertible for sale? nobody who lives in the suburbs wants to loving see anybody, or be seen by anybody. One of the reasons drivers instinctively bristle at cyclists is because they can see the person - the person is more visible than the bicycle itself. And when a bicyclist looks at them, it shatters the secure sense of anonymity they previously felt sitting in the drivers seat. drivers don't think people see them, they think people see their car (and they're mostly right)

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 15:11 on Sep 22, 2021

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Look, I will happily accept the abolition of car culture if it's still possible to get where I want to go, but don't loving try to make me socialize with other people.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

docbeard posted:

Look, I will happily accept the abolition of car culture if it's still possible to get where I want to go, but don't loving try to make me socialize with other people.

the secret is that the two go hand-in-hand! abolish car culture and tighter societies naturally form

you don't necessarily need to "socialize" with more people, as in smile and talk to them... you can wear earbuds and go around without saying a word... but you will naturally encounter more people, which is good. part of the richness of everyday city life comes simply from seeing people as opposed to cultural institutions. I don't go to museums every day but I do see people walking cute dogs or wearing funny t-shirts that make me smile

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Sep 22, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

it's my belief that cars have made people deeply antisocial... to get around buffalo in the 1950s picture, you have to encounter lots of other people... the second picture looks ugly to us itt, but if you asked a bunch of suburbanites which town they'd rather navigate, they'd probably pick the second because it because it means they can travel to their destination in a sealed steel box without having to see or hear anybody else. the average 2021 suburbanite would have 100 panic attacks if they needed to navigate the town in the first picture to go buy toilet paper

This is a feature not a bug! drivers used to be much more visible in older cars... the first cars were essentially convertibles. As time has gone on, car design has evolved to make the driver more anonymous. when's the last time you saw a convertible for sale? nobody who lives in the suburbs wants to loving see anybody, or be seen by anybody. One of the reasons drivers instinctively bristle at cyclists is because they can see the person - the person is more visible than the bicycle itself. And when a bicyclist looks at them, it shatters the secure sense of anonymity they previously felt sitting in the drivers seat. drivers don't think people see them, they think people see their car (and they're mostly right)

i agree with your point in that society has moved to an anti-social mindset - living in suburbs where every house is the owner/renters castle, you don't know your neighbours, transportation takes place in isolated and selfish methods, etc. - and it's especially apparent living in a co-operative where i have radically different experiences than my friends and family in terms of lifestyle. however, convertibles are still super popular around here in the summer, it seems like every other car on the road is a convertible on a sunny sunday (i own a targa top too so i dunno, maybe it's my own bias)

hot cocoa on the couch has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Sep 22, 2021

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The word is motorist. Like 'a texting motorist collided with a seven year old girl today in downtown dumbassville. The motorist was very shaken up and was late to their brunch date' or 'the motorist has sued the estate of the seven year old girl for emotional damages and also to touch up the bumper of their Tahoe.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The word is motorist. Like 'a texting motorist collided with a seven year old girl today in downtown dumbassville. The motorist was very shaken up and was late to their brunch date' or 'the motorist has sued the estate of the seven year old girl for emotional damages and also to touch up the bumper of their Tahoe.'

aha, yes. thank you