Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Zip Tie or use a velcro cable tie near the rear clip to help re-enforce the thing. It'll also help the cable from getting tight and making it hard to use the knob in back.

Yep, which is what I'm going to have to do once I get the RMA headset. It is ludicrous that I'm RMAing an otherwise perfectly fine headset because a tiny plastic nub broke off, but I'm not a product engineer so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

BillBear posted:

Then again, I guess the VR scene moves at a fast pace and the Index 2 isn't super far away, but still..

Has there actually been some sort of announcement about this? I've been thinking off and on about snagging a headset and the Index still looks like the closest to being worthwhile, but it's not where I'd want it to be on resolution and none of the competition is really compelling either so I feel like an iteration on the Index is the best thing I could hope for. I was not actually expecting one to happen, though, because Valve and hardware.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Where do you want the headset to be on resolution? The index and the quest 2 are the top of the pile for non ridiculous hardware.

You can get higher resolution and a bigger fov but then you have get a pimax and the only time youll touch it is when you’re constantly rma-ing it

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Has there actually been some sort of announcement about this? I've been thinking off and on about snagging a headset and the Index still looks like the closest to being worthwhile, but it's not where I'd want it to be on resolution and none of the competition is really compelling either so I feel like an iteration on the Index is the best thing I could hope for. I was not actually expecting one to happen, though, because Valve and hardware.

Not officially, but they are almost certainly working on it and it can't be more than 2-3 years away, I reckon. The resolution is quickly being left in the dust and the build quality is a big problem, especially the controllers. They won't be able to position it as a top-end product for much longer, Valve is clearly real big on VR and won't want to give up without at least a fight.

Sadly, they seem to be keeping their stuff in the dark real well as usual, so we have no idea when or what to expect. I'll be shocked if they didn't announce it by at least the start of 2023.

Also... Christ. There's something real depressing about the fact we are somehow close to 2022 and thus 2023 is only going to be a year away soon. I swear the pandemic has completely and utterly hosed my perception of time, it's kinda scary.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.
The righthand controller for my Quest 1 is officially not turning on. Do I have any options besides paying 100 drat dollars to replace it off ebay, since Oculus seems to be permanently out of stock? I could pretty easily convinced to just upgrade to a Q2, except then I have a mostly functional Quest 1 sitting at home bumming me out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sell the q1 on eBay and use it to fund the q2!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The resolution on the Quest 2 is great, I haven't tried better but also can't really imagine needing better? Now that I'm on a 3060 and can run it at full res it's been perfect. That said, if the Quest 3 expands the FOV then I'll be buying it on day one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

King Vidiot posted:

But Facebook, guys. But Facebook.

But unironically.

The Index 2 can be exactly like the Index 1 but wireless and I would gladly pay for it.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I'd buy an Index 2 if it was wireless.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Same but maybe throw in a few more pixels just for good measure?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

chippy posted:

I had a Daydream and used it to play through Virtual Virtual Reality and Rez and thoroughly enjoyed both. For the price point and what it was, I didn't think it was so bad.

I even had the phone it was designed for and it was still scalding my face.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

Yep, which is what I'm going to have to do once I get the RMA headset. It is ludicrous that I'm RMAing an otherwise perfectly fine headset because a tiny plastic nub broke off, but I'm not a product engineer so :shrug:

Currently in the process of a support ticket for my left controller. Grip pressure function is scuffed.

Headset / Controller power up results in right controller disconnecting every boot, its 50/50 if it reconnects before it times out and powers off.

Heck ya RMA buddy!

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

KakerMix posted:

But unironically.

The Index 2 can be exactly like the Index 1 but wireless and I would gladly pay for it.

Throw in some additional robustness in the construction and yeah basically. Wireless would be really nice. Overhead cable management makes it mostly a non-issue when you're actually using it, but being able to just put the thing on and go without worrying about anything other than clearing the space would be nice.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Airspace posted:

I'd buy an Index 2 if it was wireless.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They're probably waiting on 5nm/Zen4/RDNA4 so they can just cram a whole VR capable PC in the headset.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Desdinova posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/fall-vr-emporium-bundle

Not too sure about the redesign of buy 1 game, 4, or all 7 games but at the moment the difference between the 4 games and the 7 was about 35p so I got them all, if anyone wants a steam key for Until You Fall put your email address here and I'll send it, don't want it getting scalped.

Also, a cool cyberpunk akira style bike rider is being developed on Steam and looks like it has potential.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1601770/RUNNER/?beta=0

I hope it has lean-to-turn controls like VRacer Hoverbike

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No other companies can sell any headset at Quest prices. Full stop. It's not going to happen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mutata posted:

No other companies can sell any headset at Quest prices. Full stop. It's not going to happen.

Sony or Nintendo could, but neither as far as we know have plans for a standalone VR headset.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nintendo also wouldn’t be willing to take a loss on the hardware. So they probably wouldn’t hit the Quest price even if they did get involved.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

njsykora posted:

Nintendo also wouldn’t be willing to take a loss on the hardware. So they probably wouldn’t hit the Quest price even if they did get involved.

I would buy an underpowered, overpriced Nintendo Quest just to get my hands on first party Nintendo VR games. Man I would really love to see what they'd do with it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Nintendo would call it something silly like the Nintendo New Virtual Boy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

canyoneer posted:

Nintendo would call it something silly like the Nintendo New Virtual Boy

Nah, you're thinking too sensible.

It'd be something like the Virtual Dual-Lens. Of course that'd have a somewhat unfortunate acronym.

njsykora posted:

Push comes to shove they might if it means software sales down the road. They did it for the 3DS. I do get what you mean though.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 22, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

switch u, mass consumer confusion follows

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Where do you want the headset to be on resolution? The index and the quest 2 are the top of the pile for non ridiculous hardware.

You can get higher resolution and a bigger fov but then you have get a pimax and the only time youll touch it is when you’re constantly rma-ing it

The Index is nowhere near the top of the pile any more

1440x1600/eye is pretty much entry level now, the only spec it is still king is refresh rate. Even 120 FOV isnt unique any more.

Vive Focus 3 2448x2448
Vive Pro 2 2448x2448
Reverb G2 2160x2160
Quest 2 1832x1920
Pico Neo 3 Pro 1832x1920
Cosmos 1440x1700
Quest 1440x1600
Index 1440x1600
Vive Pro 1440x1600

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ROFLBOT posted:

The Index is nowhere near the top of the pile any more

1440x1600/eye is pretty much entry level now, the only spec it is still king is refresh rate. Even 120 FOV isnt unique any more.

Vive Focus 3 2448x2448
Vive Pro 2 2448x2448
Reverb G2 2160x2160
Quest 2 1832x1920
Pico Neo 3 Pro 1832x1920
Cosmos 1440x1700
Quest 1440x1600
Index 1440x1600
Vive Pro 1440x1600

I think the Index still wins out as a complete package if you're jumping into VR for the first time, at least for the off-ear audio and amazingly-good microphone. You can work around that with a Modmic, and maybe Rebuff Reality's VR Ears if they turn out decent (:pray:), but that's several hundred extra to tack onto your expensive HMD after the fact.

Just on the HMD's own merits, putting everything else aside, I'd actually say the Vive Pro's the best general headset on the market; It's lightweight compared to most, has a very broad IPD range, and the sound quality's decent enough for general gaming. It's only drawback is the microphone is utter garbage, but you have the option to just remove the earpods and use your own gaming headset, or slap a modmic on it, if you're doing anything online.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the Index still wins out as a complete package if you're jumping into VR for the first time, at least for the off-ear audio and amazingly-good microphone. You can work around that with a Modmic, and maybe Rebuff Reality's VR Ears if they turn out decent (:pray:), but that's several hundred extra to tack onto your expensive HMD after the fact.

I would counter that by saying i dont think any external-tracking headset is ideal for a first-timer but then i also couldnt care less about microphones as a single-player type, so YMMV

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ROFLBOT posted:

I would counter that by saying i dont think any external-tracking headset is ideal for a first-timer but then i also couldnt care less about microphones as a single-player type, so YMMV

That's fair. I was thinking more in terms of general quality of tracking/hardware/etc, but that's perfectly valid, and the Quest 2's pretty hard to beat for simplicity.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

marumaru posted:

i'm glad i never had to bother with lighthouses, to be honest. rift s then q2

lighthouses are a million times better than the loving desktop sensors. :barf:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there any good combat focused mods for Alyx? Valve apparently refuses to use their own tools to let people sort the mods.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

When people talk about FoV on the Quest 2, do you mean how it's a bit like you're looking through binoculars (ie low peripheral vision), or that there is a small sweet spot in the middle that is crisp and if you move your eyes around the edges are blurry?

Quest 2 is my only VR experience, keen to know how much better the Quest 3 (or whatever) will look?!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

GTO posted:

When people talk about FoV on the Quest 2, do you mean how it's a bit like you're looking through binoculars (ie low peripheral vision),

This.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Ah cool. Is the blurry edges just part of VR until we get some kind of eye tracking tech? Or is that a quest thing too?

I'd love a quest with a wider FoV though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

mutata posted:

Valve, a multibillion dollar company not beholden to shareholders who are literally raking in obscene amounts of money every second, could. They absolutely could, and they won't.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I even had the phone it was designed for and it was still scalding my face.

Oh really, what phone? I used it with a Pixel 2XL and didn't notice any heat issues.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Microsoft, Amazon, Sony, Google, Apple* could 'answer' the Quest 2 price with similar competition.

*Well we all know that Apple won't because it isn't their strategy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think I may've been right about that USB port. I plugged my hub into it to charge my Index controllers, and Windows gave me a message about the hub not being recognized or corrupted or something. After unplugging and plugging it back in it was fine. So there's definitely something going on with that port.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

King Vidiot posted:

I think I may've been right about that USB port. I plugged my hub into it to charge my Index controllers, and Windows gave me a message about the hub not being recognized or corrupted or something. After unplugging and plugging it back in it was fine. So there's definitely something going on with that port.

probably should unplug the port entirely otherwise you could gently caress up your power supply

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Microsoft, Amazon, Sony, Google, Apple* could 'answer' the Quest 2 price with similar competition.

*Well we all know that Apple won't because it isn't their strategy.

Google won't either I don't think, they dip into stuff like that and don't commit enough long term. See Stadia, Google glass et al.

Amazon definitely could.

Sony and to an extent MS are much more likely to want to see a direct return on the product line I think, whereas Facebook are more willing to roll it into their addressing of surveillance capitalism as a whole.

Steam definitely could and I think should once they've got the steam deck out. They could own the hardware platform for non console gaming if they played their cards right. Didn't work for standard gaming desktops but definitely could for niche stuff like handheld and VR.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm accepting we're not gonna see a really competitive wireless HMD any time soon and part of me wants to keep my G2 for seated games and get a Q2 for wireless

but gently caress, giving money to FB in 2021 feels worse than stapling my ball skin to my leg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Woooooow.
So I was gonna play some SUPERHOT VR and I usually play on their alternative version branch that has a different control scheme that I like more, but apparently when they were removing all that other stuff from the game they removed the alt control scheme too and didn't even bother adding that as an option either.
So loving pathetic.