Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://wwr-stardom.com/news/20210925_ppv_info-2/

5 Star Grand Prix finals commentary will be done by Stewart Fulton and Mina Shirakawa.

Sonny said on the WON board he won't be doing it because Rossy wanted him to do it for free lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://wwr-stardom.com/news/20210925_ppv_info-2/

5 Star Grand Prix finals commentary will be done by Stewart Fulton and Mina Shirakawa.

Sonny said on the WON board he won't be doing it because Rossy wanted him to do it for free lmao

I know nothing about Stardom politics but uhhhhh, if I was Rossy I wouldn't be delighted at that being made public knowledge. But also gently caress off Rossy, you're owned by BushiRoad, you can afford to pay an English language commentator for fucksake.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Sonny is a weirdo but Rossy is straight up disrespectful to him and doesn't realise how much his translations helped them grow internationally. There was a show where they tried to replace him with machine translation and it didn't go over well.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm honestly slightly impressed Sonny said no.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Same to be honest

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

honestly with their recent efforts to appeal to a more international market I'm surprised that CyberAgent haven't tried to lock down Stewart Fulton and Mark Pickering to do English commentary on all DDT, Noah, and TJPW shows.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I would have thought Fulton was under contract with CyberFight, at least in terms exclusivity for wrestling events

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lamuella posted:

honestly with their recent efforts to appeal to a more international market I'm surprised that CyberAgent haven't tried to lock down Stewart Fulton and Mark Pickering to do English commentary on all DDT, Noah, and TJPW shows.

Regular English commentary is coming for sure but Fulton and Pickering are NOAH guys through and through. Although they do a good job with TJPW (have they done DDT commentary?) you can tell where their heart lies.

Remember it took years of fine tuning to get NJPW in the state it is now.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
also Chrissy B and Akki just need a bit more time and they will be perfect.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Mina on English commentary is interesting.....I know she speaks decent English but good enough for commentary? I remember when NJPW had Yoshitatsu join the commentary for a WrestleKingdom and the results weren't great.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

fez_machine posted:

Regular English commentary is coming for sure but Fulton and Pickering are NOAH guys through and through. Although they do a good job with TJPW (have they done DDT commentary?) you can tell where their heart lies.

Remember it took years of fine tuning to get NJPW in the state it is now.

oh sure, they absolutely love NOAH now, but they had a couple of mildly awkward shows where it was clear they were working out who people were (apart from Sakuraba, obviously). Probably with increased exposure they would get the magic for these shows as well.

Having said that, because they come from a strong sports background it's clear why they would orient so strongly to NOAH. Althogh they do have genuine glee when calling a Hyper Misao match, so... maybe?

Maybe the solution is something like:

NOAH: Fulton and Pickering
TJPW: Akki and Chrissy B
DDT: This one is actually the toughest as it's the one where the comedy is most overt and you'd want people most experienced at calling comedy matches. Akki definitely could, but he's need a good broadcast partner.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lamuella posted:

NOAH: Fulton and Pickering
TJPW: Akki and Chrissy B
DDT: This one is actually the toughest as it's the one where the comedy is most overt and you'd want people most experienced at calling comedy matches. Akki definitely could, but he's need a good broadcast partner.

Mr. Haku did decent enough work with the Chris Brookes produce shows, although it would take away from both his awesome twitter account and his actual role within the company (which I think is backstage interviews?). I think he could pair well with either Chris or Akki, or even a solo gig like he did for CBPS

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

forkboy84 posted:

I've mentioned this in here before but a while back Stardom/Sonny approached a friend of mine who made wrestling-related youtube content about potentially working with them and he refused because the offer was basically "You have to stop doing your other content, but if you do a good job for a few months, we might pay you"

e: For what it's worth (not much) that was pre-Bushiroad though

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Sonny is a weirdo but Rossy is straight up disrespectful to him and doesn't realise how much his translations helped them grow internationally. There was a show where they tried to replace him with machine translation and it didn't go over well.

poo poo, I remember when Kris Wolf was getting a whole bunch of international eyes on the product and then it came out they weren't even paying her particularly decently for the wrestling.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 22, 2021

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Mio Momono has a bad back so she'll be out while she gets that checked out, hopefully nothing too serious.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Good time to do it when Marvelous are in this rebuilding stage.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Johnny Landmine posted:

I've mentioned this in here before but a while back Stardom/Sonny approached a friend of mine who made wrestling-related youtube content about potentially working with them and he refused because the offer was basically "You have to stop doing your other content, but if you do a good job for a few months, we might pay you"

e: For what it's worth (not much) that was pre-Bushiroad though

poo poo, I remember when Kris Wolf was getting a whole bunch of international eyes on the product and then it came out they weren't even paying her particularly decently for the wrestling.
Gaijin weren't being paid well at all but on top of being a wrestler, Kris Wolf was also doing some of their photoshoots too and I've no idea if she was ever paid well/at all for that. Kris Wolf had some seriously infectious energy and would've been the perfect person to put on commentary but she just ended up moving to the Nordic wilderness with her wife (Probably again, because Gaijin don't get paid well in Japan and not just related to wrestling)

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
pre-Bushiroad they may well have simply not have the resources - that doesn't make it right but its important to remember that we're talking about a promotion for whom 1,000 in Korakuen was a major achievement for most of its history. Post-Bushiroad they have no excuse: not only are Bushiroad a company with actual money but they've clearly grown - Stardom are almost certain to sell more tickets in 2021 than they have in any year before despite all of the pandemic issues.

The Sonny posts are from the Observer board: what he said that was doing English commentary on a Stardom show was a bucket list item for him so when they asked him to do it the first time he said yes; when they asked the second time he asked for pay and they said no.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1441540147384700935?s=19

They added Ram Kaichow to the card to accommodate Kiryu.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Holy L M A O this card rules.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

My dream to see Maki vs Ram gets closer, now if they could also get Miyacoco...

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I've never seen a match of hers, but everything I hear makes her sound like the absolute coolest.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Hoping to see the rest of Rebel x Enemy invade TJPW in 2022

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I hope what happens to Mei Suruga doesn't happen to her, big appearance on Wrestle Princess that goes well, and then never booked again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Johnny Landmine posted:

Hoping to see the rest of Rebel x Enemy invade TJPW in 2022

Yeah, go on. That'd increase my interest in TJPW.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

karmicknight posted:

I hope what happens to Mei Suruga doesn't happen to her, big appearance on Wrestle Princess that goes well, and then never booked again.

What if a new wrestler comes over from France who just happens to look an awful lot like what Ram might look like without makeup

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Johnny Landmine posted:

What if a new wrestler comes over from France who just happens to look an awful lot like what Ram might look like without makeup

I mean, more cool french wreslters is always appreciated. But like Mei Suruga has become my FAVORITE wrestler and seeing her not land in TJPW was sad.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Las Fresas are a land of contrasts, two days ago they lost their SEAd tag titles in a fantastic match, now they're messing about with HARUKAZE in GanPro taking on YuuRI, Yunamon and Yuna Manase

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

She was awesome on the Hana memorial show, so I'm glad to see her here.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/wwr_stardom/status/1441605880135380993

5 Star finals tonight with a great card. Syuri/Iroha is legit one of the hype matchups you can have.

In the Red block
Starlight Kid gets into the finals if she beats Mayu
If Kid loses Himeka gets the spot if she beats Koguma
If they both lose Momo gets in.

In the Blue block it’s much more complicated but Saya Kamitani, Konami, Utami, Syuri & Iroha all have a shot for the finals.

I know a lot of people want the Utami/Syuri rematch but I’m rooting for Iroha win the thing. The match she had with Utami was fantastic and the post match face to face was strongly hinting at an eventual rematch between the two.

Anyway I’m gonna try to stay unspoiled until I can watch it on Stardom world. Usually they go up after the ppv viewing period expires so I expect it up in 3 to 4 days after the show.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
Just watched the PPV, it's very good!

The white belt champ got a very clean convincing win against the red belt champ. Tamu nailed Hayashishita with a brutal combination. Picked her up high and held her out like she was going to do a high angle bodyslam but turned it into this nasty brainbuster/driver, Hayashishita kicked out, then she wrapped her up and cracked her head with a Violet Dream for the win.

Unagi and Saya had themselves a very nice match. Saya wouldn't shake her hand at the start and they did a fun spot in the beginning of the match where they did a sequence that ended with Unagi 'forcing' Saya to shake her hand and she said that phrase they often say at the start of matches, sounds like 'ichi mas' to me... as if Unagi was teaching Saya proper etiquette. Unagi ended up going way too fast and and rushed two attempts at a Gori Special submission that Saya easily slipped out of, but Saya did not kick out of the Taigi De Atta driver.

SLK versus Mayu was mega kino. SLK dramatically turned her back on Mayu at the intro and Mayu looked at her sideways during her intro windup. The match was solid with a lot of kicks and chops. Mayu unleashed the 2 stage dragon suplex for the win, and Kitto lay on the matt afterwards staring at the ceiling with a massive ear to ear smile on her face. Mayu went for the post-match handshake and ate a belligerent smack from SLK, Mayu grabbed her by her mask and forced her in like she was going to give her a noogie and hugged her.

Takumi Iroha and Syuri fought to a time limit draw. A lot of good "shoot fighting" submission grinds and some brutal headkick sequences. One series in particular had Takumi kick Syuri in the back of the head, Takumi held her foot under her chin to prevent her from falling and then cracked her again.

Finals were Momo vs. Syuri. I'm not a Momo fan. But between the storyline of Syuri having to fight to a time limit draw earlier and Momo being fresh, and Momo sauntering and strutting to the ring and mean-mugging Syuri during the into, she looked very much like Big Match Momo and I was completely convinced she would go over. Syuri kicked out of Peach Sunrise (never seen anyone do this before) and delivered a very safe Flowing Fire and won the GP.

Post match had a quick thank you from Syuri and Stardom wrestlers immediately start coming to the ring to get in some promos. Takumi Iroha and Hayashishita appeared suddenly with a lot of bows and apologies, Iroha said something like "i just did it, I just entered the ring" and after a lot of preambles of "I know I'm not supposed to say anything because I didn't win anything, BUT...." they hyped up an upcoming match between the two of them. This confused me because I thought the next red belt match was a no-time limit match with Syuri? Next Tamu crashed the ring and Syuri clowned around rolling her eyes for the camera. I think this whole "bum rush the ring" finale was was quite a breach of etiquette that they were worried about, at one point the camera zoomed in on Rossy Ogawa and he literally winked, as if to say, "it's okay, we're just having fun." Tamu called out MAYU of all people for her next white belt defense. Mayu stumbles up to the ring after some delays, and says, I was going to challenge you if I won the 5 star anyway, so let's do it, October 9th at Ota Ward Gym! This is the loving date for TJPW's WrestlePrincess Pay Per View and she is immediately corrected by everyone. Mayu is beyond a baller that she can mess around and do stuff like this and get away with it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

She just wants everyone to watch TJPW

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bit mad that I spoiler the 5☆GP result for myself by looking at Twitter, spoilers don't normally fuss me that much but some how this one does. Probably just because of how many hours I've watched of the tournament and have only just finished the August shows

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Stardom did 1539 in Ota compared to 1240 and 816 for NJPW, 1500 for GAEA, 1510 for Dragon Gate and 1480 For AJPW in the most recent shows there. Ice Ribbon are running there next month too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Can't pretend I don't find it funny that New Japan is being outdrawn by everyone at a venue most of them except DG wouldn't normally even run. Even if I know the reasons.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Curious what happens when all restrictions get lifted - will be very interesting.

Stardom also announced a Sumo Hall show on the 29th December; and when you combine that with NOAH running Budokan 1/1 and the usual stuff (NJPW 1/4+1/5 at the Dome as well now as 1/8 at Yokohama Arena; TJPW 1/4 at Korakuen, AJPW 1/2+1/3 at Korakuen etc) means that you probably have the biggest set of New Year shows in the greater Tokyo area for quite some time. Syuri announced that she'd be challenging for the World Title on that show hence why you have other title matches in the meantime.

The 9th October is also a very big day for Joshi with Stardom running Osaka-Jo with a load of cool sounding matches announced (and more to come) and a very good TJPW card. Stardom announced Utami/Takumi for the World Title, Tam/Mayu for the White Belt and Syuri/Konami for the SWA Title along with the previously announced Hazuki/Koguma match while TJPW obviously announced their whole card a few weeks ago and added Kiryu and Ram Kaichow to it a few days ago.

FatBagzJones
Apr 29, 2021
STARDOM's Osaka-jo Hall PPV card announced
[Spoilers for those who haven't seen the 5★STAR GP Finals]

0. Lady C & Waka Tsukiyama vs. Saki Kashima & Rina
1. Future of Stardom Title: Unagi Sayaka (c) vs. Ruaka
2. High Speed Title: Starlight Kid (c) vs. Fukigen Death★
3. Cosmic Angels vs. Marvelous: Mina Shirakawa & Mai Sakurai vs. Rin Kadokura 
 & Maria 
4. Donna Del Mondo vs. Queen's Quest: Maika, Himeka & Natsupoi vs. Momo Watanabe, AZM & Saya Kamitani
5. Reunion of Destiny - Hazuki Return Match: Koguma vs. Hazuki
6. 5★STAR Rematch: Syuri vs. Konami
7. Wonder of Stardom Title: Tam Nakano (c) vs. Mayu Iwatani
8. World of Stardom Title: Utami Hayashishita (c) vs. Takumi Iroha 

FatBagzJones
Apr 29, 2021
[Stardom] Cosmic Angels gets a new member

https://twitter.com/wwr_stardom/status/1442781018721697793?s=19

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

This Fall

TENACIOUS D in

FatBagzJones posted:

Reunion of Destiny

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Watching the 4/9 Stardom & Giulia is just stiffing Sakurai and it is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Rika confirmed back for WP2, added to the Nodoka/Misao match.

Would link the tweet but work internet suuuucks