Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
It rains acid, one day the earth will cry from a stone
And you'll be lookin' at the world livin' inside of a dome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pooky posted:

lmao that biden had his first UN speech, talked about climate change, and there's zero news of it in this thread.

and rightfully so because it was complete garbage lol

His dramatic climate plan is to work on air conditioning and "protect 30% of the environment by 2030" in some unspecified way which is dumb and moronic before you even sit down and define it and realize it's too little, too late even if it weren't useless.

Who gives a gently caress if you start walling off vast tracts of the earth and considering it wildlife refuges. It's still two dimensional thinking similar to the plastic squares on desks protecting people from coronavirus. These trees and fish are in an increasingly inhospitable and deteriorating global climate.

I'm sorry, i mean there should be hope because the United Nations is "Seriously" "discussing" "Climate" "Change" and by 2030 we might have twice as many protected wildlife areas as before. In addition to half of all cars being sold being electric.

I think people would rather just make jokes and come to terms than even bother giving this asinine delusional bullshit the time of day.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 13:51 on Sep 22, 2021

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

is there a good place to see historical precipitation trends over the last 100 years? caveat: looking for :canada: numbers

i gave it a quick glance, couldn't find any charts, only 1 for alberta/sask and that ended at 2000

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Torpor posted:

are there any good books on how the British empire handled its famines internally versus publicly? I’m guessing they publicly said “oh no” but privately were profiting a lot.

publically we said "good, these lazy indians need to learn that its not our responsibility to keep them alive", thats almost a direct quote from The Economist at the time
we were shipping all their food away on the railways we built "for them" and speculating with the rest to make it reach ever higher prices

one British Raj guy got so horrified by the deaths that he quit his job and set up a big privately funded food relief program for his district, as a result that region was one of the only regions without mass deaths.
the Raj sent in the military police to shut it down and he was regarded as a traitor in the british press

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cold on a Cob posted:

is there a good place to see historical precipitation trends over the last 100 years? caveat: looking for :canada: numbers

https://climate.weather.gc.ca/

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WIRED/status/1440673011208638467?s=20

lol

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
drat that is a gross study for someone to do

Serf
May 5, 2011

hold on, why do the babies have so much more polyester in their shits than me? what gives

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Serf posted:

hold on, why do the babies have so much more polyester in their shits than me? what gives

Packaged food, suckling on clothing, suckling on toys. Your average child probably spends the first three years of life with their mouth full of plastic 24/7 now.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Serf posted:

toys and the inclination to put everything in their mouth prob

Serf
May 5, 2011

well clearly i need to up my plastic-eating game

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Part of me wonders if that's because they're sourcing it from polyethylene nappies but then surely the people conducting the study would have accounted for that. Then again I guess they're sucking on pacifiers made of polyethylene, chewing on teething rings made of polyethylene, drinking out of bottles made of polyethylene, playing with toys made of polyethylene..

E: The babies not the scientists, I don't have any idea what they're putting in their mouths.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Part of me wonders if that's because they're sourcing it from polyethylene nappies but then surely the people conducting the study would have accounted for that. Then again I guess they're sucking on pacifiers made of polyethylene, chewing on teething rings made of polyethylene, drinking out of bottles made of polyethylene, playing with toys made of polyethylene..

E: The babies not the scientists, I don't have any idea what they're putting in their mouths.

yea my bet is the chewing on plastic toys and soothers doing the job

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Aw he'll yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiw6_JakZFc

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

ben super busy last couple weeks

busy making it worse

you're welcome

kater
Nov 16, 2010

wait how much polyester is in adult poop

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

it's a good video for people who watch that channel's videos to see, but the end of the message is still funny - "vote", "we need politicians to change laws and massively invest in innovation".

It still ends with saying that You need to do your part.

It's also sponsored by Bil Gates

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

That paper about how renewable energy is insanely non renewable and harmful to the environment makes that video extra funny.

Vote and buy electric cars! Carbon capture!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bobmarleysghost posted:

it's a good video for people who watch that channel's videos to see, but the end of the message is still funny - "vote", "we need politicians to change laws and massively invest in innovation".

the comments on that video are great lol

This one's a heavy hitter. Thank you for making this and bringing awareness!

"Can you stop climate change"
"Well no but actually yes"

Extremely good edutainment. Being an engineer in the oil & gas business, I feel the moral dichotomy between taking personnal responsibility and feeding my kids.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

That paper about how renewable energy is insanely non renewable and harmful to the environment makes that video extra funny.

Vote and buy electric cars! Carbon capture!

which one, wanna read that paper

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
All we need do is rebuild civilization from the ground up using renewable and non-polluting energy and materials without causing a roughly proportionate amount of the damage to the ecosystem that we caused building the one we have to rebuild. With a clear goal and a "can do" attitude I don't see why we can't knock this thing out in a matter of decades.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the video screams of

quote:

the idea of anti-capitalism no longer acts as the antithesis to capitalism. Instead, it is deployed as a means for reinforcing capitalism. This is done through media which aims to provide a safe means of consuming anti-capitalist ideas without actually challenging the system.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

bobmarleysghost posted:

Yeah, it lists a bunch of things, explains how they don't work and then says to do them anyway. The creators couldn't think of a realistic solution because there isn't one.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

can relate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lobbo-NS7iA

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

IAMKOREA posted:

which one, wanna read that paper

https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/14/15/4508/htm

Good deconstruction of the GND

It then goes up its own rear end with "what is to be done? Embrace a satisfying future of manual labour and becoming one with the earth" lol

Serf
May 5, 2011

It then goes up its own rear end with "what is to be done? Embrace a satisfying future of manual labour and becoming one with the earth" lol

it feels like their conclusion was thrown in there because they couldn't not have one. the rest of the paper does not lead one to the conclusion that having more donkeys is going to solve the problem

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Serf posted:

it feels like their conclusion was thrown in there because they couldn't not have one. the rest of the paper does not lead one to the conclusion that having more donkeys is going to solve the problem

This is every honest analysis that also needs to pass the "not doomer" filter now.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Because the only conclusion is to launch the nukes!

*Stops working to fantasize about how beautiful it would be to see that flash of light from my desk and get up to stare out the window and wait for the blast wave as my eyes boil*

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Sep 22, 2021

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rectal Death Adept posted:

His dramatic climate plan is to work on air conditioning and "protect 30% of the environment by 2030" in some unspecified way which is dumb and moronic before you even sit down and define it and realize it's too little, too late even if it weren't useless.

Who gives a gently caress if you start walling off vast tracts of the earth and considering it wildlife refuges. It's still two dimensional thinking similar to the plastic squares on desks protecting people from coronavirus. These trees and fish are in an increasingly inhospitable and deteriorating global climate.

I'm sorry, i mean there should be hope because the United Nations is "Seriously" "discussing" "Climate" "Change" and by 2030 we might have twice as many protected wildlife areas as before. In addition to half of all cars being sold being electric.

I think people would rather just make jokes and come to terms than even bother giving this asinine delusional bullshit the time of day.

You mean half of all cars sold being "zero emission," the legal definition of which which includes gasoline powered hybrids.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

bobmarleysghost posted:

lol

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

kater posted:

if we harvest enough, maybe we can weave a nice shirt. might have to supplement with other animal poops. im guessing some kind of fish that mistakes plastic bags for jellyfish.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

I think we can beat the toddlers on this one. Who's with me?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Car Hater posted:

Because the only conclusion is to launch the nukes!

*Stops working to fantasize about how beautiful it would be to see that flash of light from my desk and get up to stare out the window and wait for the blast wave as my eyes boil*

:patriot:

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

kater posted:

hold on lemme go check

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I think I already know the answer to this but wondering if anybody had a take on the Chapo interview with Kim Stanley Robinson

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/560-future-histories-feat-kim-stanley-robinson-92021

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqSiQENDYY

this movie doesn't actually deal with climate change, but i think that goons would enjoy it, and the pbf comic reminded me of it

it's a super goony movie

i can't tell the premise without giving a major spoiler of the beginning of the movie, but you can kind of understand what's going on from the trailer

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1440725415891386374

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

The actual conclusion is much worse:

quote:

To adopt a biblical metaphor, it may very well be easier for a camel to go through the
eye of a needle than for humanity to shift its prevailing paradigm and embark on a planned,
voluntary descent from a state of overshoot to a steady-state harmonic relationship with
the ecosphere—in just a decade or two. On the other hand, history shows that virtually
all important achievements have only ever arisen from a dogged pursuit of the seemingly
impossible. To contemplate the alternative is unthinkable

lol!

At this point I truly think the best thing you can do is Live, Laugh, Love and cherish every day with your loved ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Alobar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqSiQENDYY

this movie doesn't actually deal with climate change, but i think that goons would enjoy it, and the pbf comic reminded me of it

it's a super goony movie

i can't tell the premise without giving a major spoiler of the beginning of the movie, but you can kind of understand what's going on from the trailer

hah yeah that was my first thought from the PBF comic too. also agreed it is a good movie, i watched it on a flight and was very pleasantly surprised.