Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

iPhone especially, why force me to have icons on top?

Because that’s how Steve wanted it and damnit we can’t ever change it.

Same reason apple devices still default to last name first in contacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

My God the new Home Screen is mind-bogglingly terrible. It can only do six icons per row in landscape and five in portrait, instead of keeping it the same each, so now whatever your widget and icon placements in one orientation are will get completely hosed up when you turn to the other. I’m on the 12.9” iPad Pro and in order to keep it consistent with the others there’s now massive gaps in between each icon you could drive a truck through, just a ton of wasted space everywhere. I really hope Apple reverts this change, I can’t imagine what they were thinking, this isn’t just bad but also so unlike them I can’t believe it shipped.

Oooof yeah it is really loving bad.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Did some more sleuthing and I found something called Polycam for my iPhone. Worked amazing for how drat simple it was to use. What took an hour taking pictures and importing to some photogrammety editor took a couple of minutes and produced better results...

Still, LiDar seems the way to go to get measurements etc. I don't need 100% accuracy since I'll be double checking after with a laser meter.

All that being said, having an iOS unit that is bigger than the iPhone 12 mini could be good in itself, and I take it that it's a good device even without the LiDar crap use case? I'm feeling the itch...

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 21, 2021

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
In 15 if you turn on option for larger icons, the dock now auto-hides. Requires a swipe up now every time you want something. Because I want to use 2 gestures when 1 would suffice.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MrOnBicycle posted:

Did some more sleuthing and I found something called Polycam for my iPhone. Worked amazing for how drat simple it was to use. What took an hour taking pictures and importing to some photogrammety editor took a couple of minutes and produced better results...

Oh, this app is super cool. I'm gonna bookmark this, we're getting into LiDAR stuff at my work and being able to scan stuff this easily seems amazing for what we're doing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

Still, LiDar seems the way to go to get measurements etc. I don't need 100% accuracy since I'll be double checking after with a laser meter.
Is that a new app or existing one? Cause at WWDC this year they showed some new API to do object scanning with just pictures, seemingly negating one of the main uses for lidar. Course looking it up it mentioned studio lighting/ideal conditions and stuff, vs being able to be relatively loose with the lidar in some respects. But you were doing like floor plan stuff right? I think this was geared more towards asset creation/capture.

quote:

All that being said, having an iOS unit that is bigger than the iPhone 12 mini could be good in itself, and I take it that it's a good device even without the LiDar crap use case? I'm feeling the itch...
Yes, that's basically why the iPad has existed and stuck around for over a decade now. You may find the Pencil useful for annotating whatever you're doing, or drawing or loving around with a massive advantage in drawing games.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

japtor posted:

Is that a new app or existing one? Cause at WWDC this year they showed some new API to do object scanning with just pictures, seemingly negating one of the main uses for lidar. Course looking it up it mentioned studio lighting/ideal conditions and stuff, vs being able to be relatively loose with the lidar in some respects. But you were doing like floor plan stuff right? I think this was geared more towards asset creation/capture.

Yes, that's basically why the iPad has existed and stuck around for over a decade now. You may find the Pencil useful for annotating whatever you're doing, or drawing or loving around with a massive advantage in drawing games.

Existing app (afaik). I was super impressed compared to my previous experiments with photogrammetry.
I already have a gaming PC as well as a Lenovo T480 that does everything I want them to do, so it's hard to justify replacing it with something like an M1 Macbook. However, a iPad pro (if I understand it correctly) can do many things that a Macbook can and like you say also has the option to use a pen. It seems like many apps are iOs exclusive as well, so editing stuff could be a problem on the 12 mini.

I'd be happy with LiDar to basically help me quickly build a rough floor plan that I can optimize with other measurements and perhaps make a rough scan of the room for a 3D visualization that can be edited over and then visualized in 3D. The cheaper option would of course be to take photos and draw over them. A pen would come in handy then though. The last time I had a pen was on my Surface Pro 3, and that was janky at best, so I prefer not to use it. It's also slow, rattly fan and generally poo poo now.

It's also painfully obvious that I am now looking for excuses to get one so yeah. My wallet is crying.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

It's also painfully obvious that I am now looking for excuses to get one so yeah. My wallet is crying.
One of us, one of us :getin:

I guess another thing to keep in mind is that they get decent discounts pretty regularly, from anywhere that isn't direct from Apple basically (and even then there's the refurb store). And if you want maybe to save more, keep an eye out for the 2020 models too.

quote:

The cheaper option would of course be to take photos and draw over them. A pen would come in handy then though.
I do that with my iPad mini :v:. Just open up notes, take a few pictures, then manually measure and draw over the pictures with all the measurements. Better apps for doing that (like with actual dimension lines and whatnot) but works for my basic uses.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
iPad Air 2 is still getting updates. Wtf, Apple?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It’s because it was one of the best iPads they ever made. Toilet posting from one right now actually.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That thing was a beast when it came out so no real surprise it's had incredible longevity

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Is there a trick to make airplay smoother? I have a completely legitimate baseball stream going on the iPad and air playing it to an Apple TV. But if it’s more than a couple feet from the Apple TV I get a good bit of hitching.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I’m having trouble downloading an open PDF on my iPad (Air Gen 4).

It’s an auto-generated PDF from my Principal account. Basically I need to email a PDF of a statement. I go to the statement section and click the save icon which gives me a “this tab or all tabs” option. I click all tabs and it auto generates a PDF and auto opens it. But…. I can’t seem to save it from there and no combo of alt/cmd/ctrl clicking will save it (even doing so on the “all tabs” button which is the last one before it generates the PDF).

I’m guessing this might not be possible just because of the way it generates it?

Edit: And to confirm I can download in other browsers, so I got it. Just trying to find out for posterity’s sake.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 22, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I bought a new iPad Air today, I like the power bump of the mini but I want a bigger screen and the new base model seems nice but the air ticks more boxes for me

Is there a good aftermarket magic keyboard alternative? Paying half the price of the iPad Air for a keyboard seems crazy.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I bought a new iPad Air today, I like the power bump of the mini but I want a bigger screen and the new base model seems nice but the air ticks more boxes for me

Is there a good aftermarket magic keyboard alternative? Paying half the price of the iPad Air for a keyboard seems crazy.

Logitech is the usual recommendation.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah it kind of seems like they just wanted to check off the checkbox to get widgets on the home screen in iPad OS, but they didn't really give much care to the actual feature, which is kinda un-Apple-like.

That's why you keep them in their slide over ghetto. The first beta helpfully added some apple widgets to my homescreen, but I'm still waiting for any sort of reason to use them aside from checking airpod batteries.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Battery widgets, I like having an alarm widget for easy access to an alarm if I need one. On my phone I also like having widgets for Audible and podcasting. Just easier to hit play from the home screen. Also weather because it's obligatory.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

tuyop posted:

iPad Air 2 is still getting updates. Wtf, Apple?

Air2 has the same amount of RAM as the iPads 5 and 6, a better CPU than the 5, and arguably equivalent in multi-core at least to the 6.
That really brings it up to 2019 standard rather than the 2014-2017 era in which it actually sold.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

So now that iPadOS 15 has legit extensions (Landmines ahead, turn back now) what's the go-to adblocker? I've been using purify and hush for years but is there anything legit better without charging 30 bucks a year?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Air2 has the same amount of RAM as the iPads 5 and 6, a better CPU than the 5, and arguably equivalent in multi-core at least to the 6.
That really brings it up to 2019 standard rather than the 2014-2017 era in which it actually sold.

Yeah it was really insanely ahead of its time. Does the pro or the new air sound like it’ll have similar longevity?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The new iPad pro has the M1 which is the same processor as their MacBook Air and Pro which is already beating i7 class CPUs on many tasks.

It’s will be punching above it’s weight for a very long time

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Well Played Mauer posted:

Is there a trick to make airplay smoother? I have a completely legitimate baseball stream going on the iPad and air playing it to an Apple TV. But if it’s more than a couple feet from the Apple TV I get a good bit of hitching.
If it's going over the LAN, main thing is ideally just have the ATV wired and iPad have a good connection to the wifi (or both have a solid connection to the wifi). Besides that :shrug:. (Direct connections are different and I'd assume where iPad to ATV distance would matter, but not sure that's your scenario here)

Well it's slightly more complicated than that, if you're mirroring the screen it'll be a lot more sensitive, whereas if you airplay the media (depending on the app) it'll attempt to just forward the stream directly to the ATV (or have it access it directly?), in which case things should be smoother.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

So now that iPadOS 15 has legit extensions (Landmines ahead, turn back now) what's the go-to adblocker? I've been using purify and hush for years but is there anything legit better without charging 30 bucks a year?
Sounds like AdGuard's update will be a few weeks away...main thing to look forward to is YouTube ad blocking working again. I heard 1Blocker has that working now, not sure if that's in a free tier or whatever, but I'm sure there'll be other options for that at least.

tuyop posted:

Yeah it was really insanely ahead of its time. Does the pro or the new air sound like it’ll have similar longevity?
Everything seems like it'll last a while CPU performance wise at this point, but yeah the M1 is way overpowered. Even ignoring the CPU, the big advantage it has is the extra RAM it has over other models.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any way to either turn off or change the screen corner that activates the new “take a note” feature when you swipe up on the lower right corner? It’s precariously close to where I swipe to access app switcher and I’ve gotten it wrong like 80% of the time since I update. I NEVER swipe up on the left side so I’d love to switch it to that but I kind of offhandedly dismissed the little “hey here’s a new thing” notice it gave me when it first popped up and now I don’t know how to control it, where to control it, or even what it’s called so I can search through settings to enable/disable it (assuming you can, which may be a big assumption).

I can see myself using it approximately NEVER so if I can turn it off all the better.

Generally not a huge fan of iOS15 so far but I’m going to give it some time to sink in before I really nag.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Is there any glaring reason not to buy a 5th generation iPad mini right now? I know the new one comes out on Friday but I don't need it for the performance, and the old one is cheaper, and available. How difficult will it be to find a new 6th Gen at a retail store?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ihop posted:

Is there any glaring reason not to buy a 5th generation iPad mini right now? I know the new one comes out on Friday but I don't need it for the performance, and the old one is cheaper, and available. How difficult will it be to find a new 6th Gen at a retail store?

Personally I would pay the difference for the new one for the screen alone. Launches Friday, so might as well wait and see.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you ever decide you want a Pencil, the Pencil2 vs Pencil1 is such a significant quality of life increase that it made my own switch from iPad to iPad Pro worthwhile for that alone since I use it a lot. Moreover I much prefer the form factor of the “pro” line that the Mini6 has adopted but obviously that’s personal preference.

You’re not even losing TouchID with the Mini. There’s some stuff there that’s got me jealous as a Pro owner. Hopefully they add that to the Pro model next year which would make it an insta-buy for me.

Unless you need one today or tomorrow, I’d also say just wait and see and try to get them side by side to compare.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Can you use an iPad as an external monitor for a PC?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ihop posted:

Longer support period, better cpu, uses USB-C, better screen

Seems like a direct upgrade

When I bought my iPad air last fall the local apple store had more than ample supply on hand

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

What’s everyone’s preferred folio style case for an ipad mini that also helps secure the pencil? I know they’re not out juuust yet, but I’ll be picking up a mini 6 soon. Didn’t know if some favored brands had an updated model perhaps. I like the look of the apple ones, thin and can act as a stand. But I want something that holds the pencil more securely. The magnets on my pro work fine, but it can get knocked off way too easy imo.

I just had a smart cover for my mini 2, so never went past that. Traded that mini in for $50 in credit, as I was having less and less uses for it as the apps I used stopped working on it. Didn’t want to deal with trying to squeeze another maybe $20 out of it selling it on my own.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ihop posted:

As of yesterday when I looked, if you preordered one you can still get it on release day I think walking into a store and seeing one has a very good chance.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anothergod posted:

Can you use an iPad as an external monitor for a PC?

There's apps for that, yeah. Not sure any are free, but Duet is $10.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, I would seriously consider the mini if it had pro motion.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

japtor posted:

If it's going over the LAN, main thing is ideally just have the ATV wired and iPad have a good connection to the wifi (or both have a solid connection to the wifi). Besides that :shrug:. (Direct connections are different and I'd assume where iPad to ATV distance would matter, but not sure that's your scenario here)

Well it's slightly more complicated than that, if you're mirroring the screen it'll be a lot more sensitive, whereas if you airplay the media (depending on the app) it'll attempt to just forward the stream directly to the ATV (or have it access it directly?), in which case things should be smoother.

I was mirroring, since the stream didn't have an Airplay option, but I also wasn't looking for it. I'll try Airplay directly next time I do it. Didn't realize screen mirroring didn't do the same thing. Thanks!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jabro posted:

As of yesterday when I looked, if you preordered one you can still get it on release day I think walking into a store and seeing one has a very good chance.
Yeah I'd expect in store stock to be alright...I wouldn't want to deal with the launch day crowd though. But uh COVID, wonder how they'll handle things this year.

Speaking of in store though, anyone done trade ins recently? I have iPad minis (4 and 5) and would like to just walk in, get the credit, walk out with a 6, rather than dealing with whatever possible mail in shenanigans.

Well Played Mauer posted:

I was mirroring, since the stream didn't have an Airplay option, but I also wasn't looking for it. I'll try Airplay directly next time I do it. Didn't realize screen mirroring didn't do the same thing. Thanks!
Yeah not everything has it...and even if it does I'm not sure everything will implement it the same way. Like if it doesn't support the stream forwarding (or however that works) it might just do what'd effectively be a different form of screen mirroring. In any case worth a shot. Everything else just comes down to the network and whims of AirPlay mirroring. There is one more wacky option: hook up the iPad to ethernet too :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So, I like slide over because I csn be browsing the internet , and just slide over to see a chat window.

With iOS 15, apparently the slide over goes away if you open up the app full window. So if I go and open say, discord, and then I’m later web browsing and try slide over, it’s no longer there.

It sounds super small, but it’s really dumb and annoying, it worked fine before.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
iOS 15: it’s really dumb and annoying, it worked fine before

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ihop posted:

The speakers were only on one side on the older mini models, but they are finally fixing this on the new one.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

So, I like slide over because I csn be browsing the internet , and just slide over to see a chat window.

With iOS 15, apparently the slide over goes away if you open up the app full window. So if I go and open say, discord, and then I’m later web browsing and try slide over, it’s no longer there.

It sounds super small, but it’s really dumb and annoying, it worked fine before.
It did that before too, but it seemed like there was some inconsistency as to why/when it happened in my experience. So maybe it's consistent now...but in a way that's really annoying.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

iOS 15: it’s really dumb and annoying, it worked fine before

Thread title please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

iPadOS 15 working fine for me, the multi window management is so much better.