Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Fair warning: weird e/n-ish post ahead, which might lead to a derail.

I'm listening to the Repo Man soundtrack, which is just pure {chef kiss] nostalgic soundtrack to my "it's 92 outside and I have no AC" teen years of the late 80s. Anyways, Black Flag's "Tv Party" and Circle Jerks "Coup d'Etat"... I'm listening to the lyrics and thinking "holy crap, this is every bit as applicable to right now, what, 30+ years later?" It's kinda freaking me out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZgIt5MPKqI

fake edit: "Let's Have a War" and "When the poo poo Hits the Fan", too, holy moly.

Anyways, it's great soundtrack to a great movie, which I may have to queue up here in a minute.

Repo Man has such a great first wave American Punk soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I really liked that soundtrack. Bought it cold on someone's recommendation.

All I wanted was a Pepsi!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/petermurphyinfo/status/1438218962844651526?s=20

https://twitter.com/FarOutMag/status/1437555238165172232?s=20

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

this is awesome, we can officially replace Morrissey with Astley and everything will be right with the world.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
drat that would be a proper upgrade, gently caress Morresey.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sounds good but I'm gonna need to hear his Suedehead to seal the deal

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Because of this Hot Wheel, I spent my childhood years thinking the AMC Gremlin would be a cool and desirable car to have once I was old enough:

I also thought the Chevrolet El Camino was the most ridiculous looking car I would ever see in my life, and then one day in my early adulthood a switch flipped and I landed on thinking they're rad.

Anyway, here's a couple of pictures of the Wendy's SuperBar I found on Flickr:

This could be more of a 70s decadence thing bleeding over, but I always thought beach buggies would be a bigger deal in adulthood because of their presence in toy form in the 80s.

Some friends of mine had a Hot Wheel sized Dr Doom driving a beach buggy, and because Marvel Comics were still nerdy, almost underground thing in the UK, I was in my late teens before my idea of Dr Doom being a groovy, psychadelic hero who would fight beach themed crime was debunked.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Oh god I missed the bit about the El Camino, and that reminds me, my grandpa had one of these things:

Not an El Camino or even a Ford Ranchero, but a Dodge Rampage, except it was the color of Pepto-Bismol. We had to borrow it when both of our cars were broken down, and that was a bitch because my sister and I had to share the passenger-side seat. I forgot about that, and it’s something that should never have happened.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FilthyImp posted:

Sounds good but I'm gonna need to hear his Suedehead to seal the deal

And Every Day Is Like Sunday.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Oh god I missed the bit about the El Camino, and that reminds me, my grandpa had one of these things:

Not an El Camino or even a Ford Ranchero, but a Dodge Rampage, except it was the color of Pepto-Bismol. We had to borrow it when both of our cars were broken down, and that was a bitch because my sister and I had to share the passenger-side seat. I forgot about that, and it’s something that should never have happened.

My 9th grade math teacher had one of those trucklets she bought brand new. At some point, she put the turbo drivetrain from a wrecked Omni GLHS in it. Terrifyingly quick in a short sprint, all the structural rigidity of a soggy Entenmanns 8-pack donut box. Perfect vehicle for her: small, loud, quick.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

madeintaipei posted:

all the structural rigidity of a soggy Entenmanns 8-pack donut box.

I just wanted to say that this is a beautiful turn of phrase. :golfclap:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
lmao

https://twitter.com/bertovo/status/1439009703166496772?s=20

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I used to drive an '86 VK Commodore. It was a piece of poo poo really, but I liked how it looked.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

YES! The People have spoken!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

see, that is why as a fat kid I never took my shirt off unless I was alone

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ddoniolvalcroze/status/1439351169768329216

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

that one fascinated me as a child and when i finally saw it as an adult it did not quite live up to my childhood imagination. still good though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

uber_stoat posted:

that one fascinated me as a child and when i finally saw it as an adult it did not quite live up to my childhood imagination. still good though.

The Stuff kicks rear end. Michael Moriarty is quirky! Garret Morris kung fu's him at one point!

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

uber_stoat posted:

Y'all might already know this, but I thought I should mention that The Stuff was featured in an SA Front Page movie review back in 2003.

I'm pretty sure I also watched it on VHS with my dad later that same summer, to see just how bad it was (or perhaps wasn't), but I don't really remember anything about it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

The Stuff kicks rear end. Michael Moriarty is quirky! Garret Morris kung fu's him at one point!

I saw it for the first time last year, and yeah, The Stuff owns. It made me realize that I wish I could take a week long vacation in 1987.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I miss there being more independent stations that just played whatever old crap they had on weekends. The Stuff was one of those movies, along with other horror b-movies like Night of the Creeps and Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Naturally, those were reserved for the 11:30 pm slot, while the afternoons were loaded down with poo poo like Convoy, Smokey and the Bandit II, and movies with guys wearing huge aviators chasing each other through canyons in choppers.

Throw in the Three Stooges and Our Gang, followed by old episodes of The Fall Guy and Stephen J Cannell vehicle #238, and you’re set.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I miss there being more independent stations that just played whatever old crap they had on weekends. The Stuff was one of those movies, along with other horror b-movies like Night of the Creeps and Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Naturally, those were reserved for the 11:30 pm slot, while the afternoons were loaded down with poo poo like Convoy, Smokey and the Bandit II, and movies with guys wearing huge aviators chasing each other through canyons in choppers.

Throw in the Three Stooges and Our Gang, followed by old episodes of The Fall Guy and Stephen J Cannell vehicle #238, and you’re set.

I still blame the lovely 1982 Consent Decree between the FCC and the NAB that removed the NAB's then-voluntary agreement to limit advertising to 8 1/2 minutes per half hour program that basically created the modern infomercial, because it hit B-movie sunday and first-run syndication hard and replaced it with smiling white people telling me I'm not cleaning my house right.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

October was always the best on those stations because they gloves came off and you could watch a double feature of Creepshow and Creepshow 2 on a Saturday at 3pm.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Neito posted:

I still blame the lovely 1982 Consent Decree

It took quite some time for that to take hold where I come from because the indies in the greater Cleveland area were airing all kinds of rad junk well into the early ‘90s. Even the ABC affiliate held out a good while running decent old movies on late nights and Sunday afternoons. It did dry up pretty quickly into hours-long blocks of infomercials by say, ‘94 or ‘95, and as much as I enjoyed making fun of Don Lapre or Mick & Mimi, doing so didn’t have lasting appeal.

I suppose the digital channels kinda offer a facsimile of the way syndicated programming used to be, but I haven’t had a tv—in any conventional sense, anyway—since Reagan’s funeral.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

When I was a kid wandering around the local video stores, waiting for my parents, I would go into the horror section in spite of myself and this one always scared the hell out of me. It seems silly in retrospect, but I guess it's because it's really easy to viscerally imagine what this might feel like.

I ended up watching this a couple of years ago and it was actually pretty enjoyable!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

When I was a kid wandering around the local video stores, waiting for my parents, I would go into the horror section in spite of myself and this one always scared the hell out of me. It seems silly in retrospect, but I guess it's because it's really easy to viscerally imagine what this might feel like.

I ended up watching this a couple of years ago and it was actually pretty enjoyable!

I don't know whether this is accurate or not but your avatar is making me think "Katamari pastry" .

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Shifty Nipples posted:

I don't know whether this is accurate or not but your avatar is making me think "Katamari pastry" .

That is absolutely accurate.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I thought that Square One was a fairly obscure show and that I was one of the few people who knew about it. Guess not! Even though I was probably way too young for it at the time, Square One was one of my favorite shows as a preschooler.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bet there's a bunch of old millennials running around with fond memories of Mathnet and Mathman who don't remember that that was Square One

Source: I, the idiot

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phy posted:

I bet there's a bunch of old millennials running around with fond memories of Mathnet and Mathman who don't remember that that was Square One

I'll admit I didn't for a while, but I learned that a decadeish ago, so I am no longer the idiot.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Edit: probably fits more in a different thread.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I thought that Square One was a fairly obscure show and that I was one of the few people who knew about it. Guess not! Even though I was probably way too young for it at the time, Square One was one of my favorite shows as a preschooler.

I rewatched a bunch on Youtube and yea, I remember loving it at a kid because there was math but also humor.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I rewatched a bunch on Youtube and yea, I remember loving it at a kid because there was math but also humor.

Same! For someone who has never been particularly great at math (and then went on to study a pretty math-heavy major), Square One was a big influence on my early childhood. I wish Mathman was a real game.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Phy posted:

I loved Square One for no reason. I was too old for it, but I liked Mathnet. Didn't one of the guys from that show end up getting in trouble for diddling kids or something? Maybe I'm thinking of a different show. Balding guy with big glasses talking about math with a partner in a "Dragnet" kind of thing?

I don't know. I'm just dredging up old stuff that I barely remember.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Man, few things beat being a kid in the 80's/90's and just walking around the Horror section and checking out the intriguing box art. I feel like they rarely make noteworthy movie posters/box art anymore.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
That's uh... a leggy gal there.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Animal-Mother posted:

That's uh... a leggy gal there.

Sweet, a Bayonetta prequel...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Square One was the best show ever made. I'm almost 40 and this drat song still wanders into my head every six months or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q53GmMCqmAM

Also if you're an Oz or The Wire fan you might recognize the late great Reg E Cathey there.

edit: while I never ever had a math class touch on the Fibbinocci sequence, I had Mathnet taking care of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldEvpx_e69c

Flight Bisque has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Sep 23, 2021