Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

DM me, especially if you have cloud experience or enough hobby cloud experience to raise an eyebrow

I DMed you and you left me on read :mad:

(not actually mad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I DMed you and you left me on read :mad:

(not actually mad)
I absolutely did not read who wrote this post :[

I did respond (eventually), though!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh I wasn't the OP, I just saw an opportunity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

skipdogg posted:

I’m reading that like his boss said that tongue-in-cheek. Like he needs a promotion, or I should fire him (so he can go on to bigger and better things, ie he’s outgrown his current position)

That’s exactly how it was. But I agree with IE about it too. I didn’t find it as amusing as he did.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

Bosses shouldn't joke about firing employees. The power imbalance makes it "not funny."

Absolutely correct, yeah.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Does anyone have any good paid (or free if they exist) Linux courses to recommend that are heavy on the theory and light on “here’s how you do [specific task that will be asked on a specific exam].”

Like I don’t give a poo poo about memorizing commands. I care deeply about understanding all of the components of the operating system in as much depth as reasonably possible.

I’m working my way through https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ as a fun little experiment, but want more and I learn best with video lectures usually. Online resources too, that’s inevitable. I would rather *not* take book recommendations though, though I will begrudgingly if it’s something seminal. I am a voracious reader of fiction… less so with the various tech-y books I’ve tried to read at some point.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 21, 2021

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
You asked for no books but "The Design of the Unix Operating System" is probably exactly what you're looking for. It's old but well written.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Design & Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System and the followup, Design & Implementation of the FreeBSD operating systems, are both very approachable and amazing writeups.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Well I suppose it is only fair if I want to understand technology in a serious way, I need to do my serious reading. Thanks for the recs, by all means keep them coming.

Started diving into the Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD operating system and this is exactly what I wanted!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I went in to my new workplace today to pick up my laptop so I'll be ready for my call with the outgoing I.T. person in a couple of days. I got to visit with some of the people who I interviewed with, got my keycard for parking, took a tour. Everyone was nice, my boss saw me and made sure I said "hi" to the co-founder who I'd interviewed with.

The last place reimbursed me for my cellphone, but at this one you have to port your number to their corp account. I'd prefer to maintain control over my number but I'd rather not spend that money if I don't really have to.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'll never give up control of my phone number ever again. Even if I have to pay out of pocket. My current job gives me 40 bucks a month towards it, and that's fine. If I ported it in, they would pay the entire bill. My entire world is tied to my phone number and I almost didn't get to port it from my last company. I just won't risk it ever again.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

skipdogg posted:

I'll never give up control of my phone number ever again. Even if I have to pay out of pocket. My current job gives me 40 bucks a month towards it, and that's fine. If I ported it in, they would pay the entire bill. My entire world is tied to my phone number and I almost didn't get to port it from my last company. I just won't risk it ever again.

I don't really understand this philosophy, and it's not for the reason you think. Why are you giving your phone number, your actual phone number, to anyone except your close friends and family? Why would you not abstract that in some way?

I use a Google Voice number for all commercial uses, i.e. filling in forms, giving to any site that requires SMS 2FA, basically anything where the number could end up in a database. It's almost a guarantee that once it does, it'll eventually end up in either a stolen or sold database, and you'll get robocalls and other bullshit. It's a lot loving harder to deal with that if it's going to your actual cell, and changing your actual number (or more precisely, making sure everyone you care about talking to has the new number) is a huge pain, as opposed to either using the GVoice screen calls feature, blocking all calls, or getting a new GVoice number.

Anyway no argument on the company end - if a company asked me to port my "cell #" to them I'd tell them no, but that number would be the Google Voice anyway (and if they really insisted, I'd say "OK I got a new cell here's the number" and give them a new Google Voice number). I just don't get why anyone would allow their actual number out into the wild, any more than you would want your private email out in the wild.

edit: my point is not specifically to use Google Voice, any VOIP service will do, it's just that you should protect your actual number and yeah this is one of those situations where "security by obscurity" actually has value - it's not security, but not giving it out helps prevent abuse, in the same way that the Lifelock founder shouldn't have printed his social security number on the side of trucks

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 21, 2021

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

skipdogg posted:

:hmmyes:

I get a similar 70/month stipend for being in the oncall rotation, but hell if any employer is getting any control of my device. I'd sooner buy a shitbox flip phone separate than let any employer have control over my device, apps, etc.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Another vote for never giving your actual number out. I give a VoIP number for my employer to reach me and told them I don't have a smartphone to use any apps (I run GrapheneOS on a Pixel 3a which doesn't use any Google services) so if they want me to utilize anything it's coming from them.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I don't really understand this philosophy, and it's not for the reason you think. Why are you giving your phone number, your actual phone number, to anyone except your close friends and family? Why would you not abstract that in some way?

I get what you're saying, but I've had this phone number almost 20 years now at this point, it's already out there. Also my GV number, who I've never given out to anyone ever, still gets spam robocalls on the regular.

I once got a home phone line because the cable bundle was cheaper, I plugged a phone into it on a whim and in 3 minutes I was getting robocalls. I don't think it matters anymore. It's not a big deal really, I just don't answer unknown numbers, and that AT&T Call Protect flags a lot of spam callers for me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google Voice only operates in the USA as well

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have a bit of an ethics question. Maybe "ethics" is too strong a word.

I recently referred a former colleague to an open position with my company and I know he's since interviewed with the person that would be his manager. Is it OK for me to talk to my colleague and say something like, "I saw you met with John Smith last week. How did it go?" or is that not a good thing to do?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My gut says not to do this. It could put the colleague in an uncomfortable position. You did your friend the solid by referring them, let the process play out on its own.

I can't find anything official one way or another, but thats what my gut says.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
What does everyone do in terms of on-boarding guides for new employees (outside of IT)?

Stuff like guides for mail access and overviews of various systems under IT control that they will interact with.

Just a big ol’ pdf or something different?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’ve done exactly that and it worked out fine.

I wouldn’t do more than “hey, I heard you interviewed a guy I know, how did it go?” and don’t push it if the hiring manager doesn’t want to discuss it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

What does everyone do in terms of on-boarding guides for new employees (outside of IT)?

Stuff like guides for mail access and overviews of various systems under IT control that they will interact with.

Just a big ol’ pdf or something different?

I used to do a 1-page printout with basic info, and also a welcome email with the same info + links to the help desk portal and some relevant kb pages on setting up different services.

Try to keep it super simple, most people are crazy overwhelmed during their first few days.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bonzo posted:

I have a bit of an ethics question. Maybe "ethics" is too strong a word.

I recently referred a former colleague to an open position with my company and I know he's since interviewed with the person that would be his manager. Is it OK for me to talk to my colleague and say something like, "I saw you met with John Smith last week. How did it go?" or is that not a good thing to do?

I agree with The Fool. I think it would be fine.

If you work with his would-be manager and it wouldn't be odd to chat, I think a "how'd it go?" is fine. If you're feeling especially cautious, I think a "not-looking for any inside info, but how'd it go?" would relay that intent. I don't think asking an interviewer is some massive breach of ethics. It takes 0 effort on their part to give a white lie and say "went good" regardless of the outcome. What I would not do is press for details if they don't freely offer them up.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I'm about 3/4 of the way through CS50 and it's the best compsci resource I've ever seen. Challenging as hell but the lectures/problem sets are so good and the approach where they start from working low level and work up has made lots of thing that never made sense to me click. It's more "developer" focused than IT but you really understand what's happening in the memory and I'm so glad I stuck with it during weeks 4 & 5 which were brutal.

Things I've done at CTFs like buffer overflows didn't make sense to me but after the first couple weeks and learning about how C and other lower level languages interact with memory and how computers actually work when you're not abstracting away memory made the concept very obvious and simple.

Each week save maybe week 0 has hours of content in terms of extra notes and shorts plus the problem sets, so each week is really about ~10-30 if you're not already familiar with the concept. Just TONS of really high quality material in one place.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Podima posted:

Absolutely correct, yeah.

If the boss really wanted to put the screws to his boss and not joke about it formally he could of framed it as "promote greenlight or I'll get him to where he needs to be, professionally"

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
n-ting the keep your private number separate from from chat. If they want to be able to reach you when you're not at your desk, they should provide you with a phone and number. I've done just that with my new job. I'd ported my number to my previous employer to save a buck, and every time my phone pinged I felt obliged to check it. Now I just turn the work phone of when I want me-time.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
:yotj:

54% raise

Read the salary negotiation thread!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

So I have been thrown in the deep end a bit, and I need to learn about data governance quickly. My new company has a shitload of data and it's all a mess. Are there any good resources floating around that can give me a crash course in classification levels, retention policies and such?

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

54% raise

Oh, wow, and here I thought my 41% raise was large :v:

Congrats!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

evobatman posted:

54% raise

That's excellent. Congratulations!

NPR Journalizard posted:

So I have been thrown in the deep end a bit, and I need to learn about data governance quickly. My new company has a shitload of data and it's all a mess. Are there any good resources floating around that can give me a crash course in classification levels, retention policies and such?

I started with PDFs from the NIST, but had to talk to the General Counsel and COO about scope and legal requirements. At the last place the scope was narrow which made things much easier.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 22, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

evobatman posted:

54% raise

Yesssssss! Congratulations!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

NPR Journalizard posted:

This is what I've done for the last 10 years or so. The PDF Dick linked you is a good start. You'll also want to look up Federal, State, or even municipal laws regarding governance. There really isn't a one-size-fits-all template when it comes to records management so you'll have to involve legal and accounting departments to help decide on what works best for your org. There's lots of vendors out there to guide you but they can only give you the tools to manage the data. The rules are up to you.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone have any good resources for Azure networking? I have Pluralsight access but haven't found anything that jumps out.

I'm a total cloud noob but our Azure setup sounds and looks like a total mess to me. There's like two separate vNets (Prod and Management but nobody has been able to provide a definition of what goes in either. Totally arbitrary names), then each vNet has a pair of Checkpoint firewalls and those firewalls also connect to each other directly - pretty sure a Checkpoint reseller designed and sold this to us btw - but I was poking around the other day and found a server I was testing from in the Prod vNet sends it's traffic directly to the Management vNet, bypassing both firewall pairs, but the return traffic went by the Checkpoint pair which obviously gets blocked. It's gross and probably a big security risk and huge waste of money.

Were supposed to be doing an on-prem firewall replacement project, hopefully Palo Alto, that I'll probably end up being heavily involved in but the want to do the Azure firewalls at the same so I'm going to need to be able to come up with something. I've gone over the PA Azure design guides but seems a bit over the top and kind of overwhelming since they're basically proposing you have an architecture that lets you scale out VMs infinitely and also uses loadbalancers just to avoid this dumb 3 minute Azure API HA failover trash.

They seem to think they're just going to move over like 150 on-prem always on windows VMs with some in-house apps to Azure and end up with zero on-prem presence.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 22, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Start my first official IT job next week. Wish me luck.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Got a second interview with the IQ test folks. How many red flags do y’all see in the following:

6 person team
10 hour workday on the job page
In interview mentioned that it’s not a 9-5 and that if weekend work came up the whole team would be working
“We do things the (insert company name) way”
Sent me IQ test as assessment
Is a MSP
Said 75% of their work was cloud, 25% on prem
Mentioned they do run cables for people
One of the two interviewers on the call was on client prem setting up a new server
Didn’t give me a client count

Yet I’m somehow not scared?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Got a second interview with the IQ test folks. How many red flags do y’all see in the following:

6 person team
In interview mentioned that it’s not a 9-5 and that if weekend work came up the whole team would be working
Is a MSP
One of the two interviewers on the call was on client prem setting up a new server

You know what we’re going to say about this

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

That is a lot of flags.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FCKGW posted:

Start my first official IT job next week. Wish me luck.

:yotj: Congrats

6 person team
Is a MSP

Too many red flags for me. You gotta do what you gotta do, but if you have other options I'd drop that place.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

6 person team
Is a MSP

This feels like the right amount of flags, if your in Moscow for the Mayday parade in the early 80s.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is a MSP

You're not? Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I got a blackout on my red flag bingo board.