Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I have to go with Spock Two or Satan myself. Animated Series had some drat heavy hitters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Q or the prophets.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Imasalmon posted:

Q or the prophets.

Please, that's the chump answer.

Benny Russell is the only one who's even REEEEAAAAAL

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tunicate posted:

And after that immeasurate clash of divine scientific energies, a single deity stands alone, breathing heavily, finally the sole survivor, the ultimate being in the universe

then Kirk emerges from the pile of starfleet corpses, shirt ripped, shoulder smouldering, and in its moment of weakness kills the remaining god

...and proceeds to steal its starship.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Please, that's the chump answer.

Benny Russell is the only one who's even REEEEAAAAAL

He's a faaaaaaake.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I can live with it

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I kinda wish we had the Benny Russel ending of DS9, that way we could attribute the shows we don’t like to a fictional writers strike. Or Benny loving off on vacation.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HD DAD posted:

I kinda wish we had the Benny Russel ending of DS9, that way we could attribute the shows we don’t like to a fictional writers strike. Or Benny loving off on vacation.

And then a whole storyline where Benny is a fat old pervert who everyone is just kind of tolerating so they can make a show, but he keeps loving around with it but nobody can tell if his ideas are good or terrible

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I appreciate the clarification. I was just about to type "Uh, it was a joke..."

But seriously, Janeway would obliterate everyone in a Star Trek fight because she's crazy enough and is the only one who has the balls to actually do it.

Burnham would win because the Plot Demands It and she'd also take one look at Janeway and her homicidal tendencies and see in her a new mother figure who she would try to ally with before stabbing in the back sometime later. :v:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Now now. Jane way never ate a person. This makes her not evil enough to be a star trek discovery captian.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
For all the horrors I heard about Voyager, it wasn't nearly that bad. It was more frustrating because there was so much missed potential.

Outside of season 2. Season 2 was garbage and only slightly better than TNG season 1

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Axe-man posted:

Now now. Jane way never ate a person. This makes her not evil enough to be a star trek discovery captian.

Just because they didn't show it on screen doesn't mean she didn't.

I mean at the least she pretty obviously ate the hearts of those of whome she conquered, on the reg.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Axe-man posted:

She was going to drink a living nebula.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

yeah this broad is fuckin nuts and just does genocides for no reason and routinely renegs on her word to aliens because her ship is falling apart and she wants to go home even though she also turns down chances to go home constantly and the ship is always fine and well stocked. definitely the best star trek

not directed at you crow just a tangent. people think the above. theyre real. they exist.

I don't know if I'm real or not, but Janeway is the best captain, Sisko and Picard couldn't have handled her job. Maybe Kirk, he seems like a wild card too. If I had to be a crew member, I'd also choose Voyager as my post, more diversity and sitting way back in the class away from federation teacher gives you some nice freedom. Also seems like one of the safer choices, post-caretaker incident at least, only like 15 crew die through all the seasons. Heck, they probably add as many people along the way at different points. Less crew dying to Borg, more crew being Borg.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Khanstant posted:

If I had to be a crew member, I'd also choose Voyager as my post, more diversity and sitting way back in the class away from federation teacher gives you some nice freedom. Also seems like one of the safer choices, post-caretaker incident at least, only like 15 crew die through all the seasons. Heck, they probably add as many people along the way at different points. Less crew dying to Borg, more crew being Borg.

Sucks to be an Ensign in her crew, though. No chance for advancement.

e: Not to mention the possibility of becoming a lizard and having lizard babies with Janeway.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 22, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah but if you put in your dues, at the end, you get back home and they basically make everyone a captain.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Khanstant posted:

I don't know if I'm real or not, but Janeway is the best captain, Sisko and Picard couldn't have handled her job. Maybe Kirk, he seems like a wild card too. If I had to be a crew member, I'd also choose Voyager as my post, more diversity and sitting way back in the class away from federation teacher gives you some nice freedom. Also seems like one of the safer choices, post-caretaker incident at least, only like 15 crew die through all the seasons. Heck, they probably add as many people along the way at different points. Less crew dying to Borg, more crew being Borg.
Freedom to do what, though?

"Well," I say as I lay in the holo-lung pod where I will remain forever lest I die, "at least big Federation isn't telling me not to sell guns to primitives. I am" *cough* "free as hell out here."

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

CPColin posted:

I'm eagerly waiting for Voyager to get bad and the Greatest Gen guys to turn on it. They've been pretty positive about it so far, but maybe they're gun-shy after giving a DS9 episode a "meh" and getting a bunch of hate mail or something.

This show is their living / professional bread-and-butter now, they'll never turn on it.

It's kind of funny to hear them like absolutely love something like Threshold. Which is just a loving boring episode with a completely magical 'ok we fixed everything' reset button ending-- even if you take out all of the in-universe science / sci-fi established concepts breaking that makes it legendarily bad.

Of course there is that 11:59 episode on the horizon which is like... legendarily unmemorably bad. At least Threshold was memorable.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

jeeves posted:

This show is their living / professional bread-and-butter now, they'll never turn on it.

It's kind of funny to hear them like absolutely love something like Threshold. Which is just a loving boring episode with a completely magical 'ok we fixed everything' reset button ending-- even if you take out all of the in-universe science / sci-fi established concepts breaking that makes it legendarily bad.

Of course there is that 11:59 episode on the horizon which is like... legendarily unmemorably bad. At least Threshold was memorable.

11:59 is just weird, it was basically the writers deciding that they just didn't want to do an episode of Voyager that week.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
11:59 is like a weird Hallmark movie about the destructiveness of gentrification, only to take a literal last minute swerve and end on the message of "Actually, gentrification is pretty cool."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

11:59 is like a weird Hallmark movie about the destructiveness of gentrification, only to take a literal last minute swerve and end on the message of "Actually, gentrification is pretty cool."
Or, it’s fine in the name of progress

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Or, it’s fine in the name of progress

thats inherently baked into the "gentrification is cool" because gentrification is ripping out established character of neighbourhoods and transplanting white people poo poo into them, and we live in a society that inherently tells us white people poo poo is good and cutting edge by default because white people are the best, so shoving expensive white people poo poo into a perfectly fine neighbourhood is progress and everyone complaining should shut up and enjoy their useless vinyl stores and hot yoga studios instead of rent controlled housing and 24 hour greasy spoon diners.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nessus posted:

Freedom to do what, though?

"Well," I say as I lay in the holo-lung pod where I will remain forever lest I die, "at least big Federation isn't telling me not to sell guns to primitives. I am" *cough* "free as hell out here."

Less rules baby! I'm doing art installations in the hallways in my dorm, I'm carving my name on the replicators, disrupting crewmates with chatter and jokes, or maybe I'll steal a runabout and set up shop on one of the nicer worlds breaking the prime directive and messing with a planet's development, just gotta trick tuvok and janeway into thinking I got blown up or fell into a transwarp nebula. Or maybe I just wanna have an affair with the Doctor, everyone on DS9 or Enterprise would be weird jerks about it, whereas on Voyager everyone's like "duh, yeah, we've all banged the Doctor, we discovered ESH mode the day after the array exploded."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I think they meant "aspiration to a better future in the stars" instead of gentrification, but yeah.

It is actually a Star Trek episode theme-wise, it fits pretty well with the Earth parts of say, First Contact and does have a moral dilemma and all that, but it's very different about that.

So it's weird, not bad.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They should hire a bunch of poor people to write Star Trek, I mean how can it go wrong you don't even have to pay them very much

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I accidentally watched 11:59 last night and I'm not sure you can draw any sort of gentrification thing out of it. It was literally one old stubborn guy holding out while everyone else was like hey rear end in a top hat our rust belt poo poo hole isn't dying, it's already dead

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Voyager would have been better if they had replaced all the cast with the actual Voyager 1 space craft and had it explore the delta quadrant. At least a lot more aliens would be alive.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

just got to the voyager episode where Janeway slams the ship through an energy field in an anomalous nebula because she wants coffee

i like the cut of her jib

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That should have been how every predicament started

"It won't be like last time. It won't be! I just need some more coffee. Ah gently caress"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Axe-man posted:

Voyager would have been better if they had replaced all the cast with the actual Voyager 1 space craft and had it explore the delta quadrant. At least a lot more aliens would be alive.

What like everyone chilling in the dish which has been turned into a hot tub?

Wait that sounds incredible

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

e: Not to mention the possibility of becoming a lizard and having lizard babies with Janeway.

Look at this absolute fool who thinks of this as a con. God I wish i can just chill on a warm rock all day in the sun. There is a reason why lizards are consider the highest form of evolution (and why they secretly rule the world)!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Look at this absolute fool who thinks of this as a con. God I wish i can just chill on a warm rock all day in the sun. There is a reason why lizards are consider the highest form of evolution (and why they secretly rule the world)!

You seem to have misspelled crab in your post.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

dr_rat posted:

You've got a point, but there's still the 'having Janeway's lizard babies' thing. I guess it depends on how you feel about Janeway.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 22, 2021

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

cardassian spotted

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

punishedkissinger posted:

just got to the voyager episode where Janeway slams the ship through an energy field in an anomalous nebula because she wants coffee

i like the cut of her jib
I think this is literally the second episode of the entire series too

Edit: Never mind, it's episode 6, but still

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

voyager so creatively and financially bankrupt that they time travel to contemporary 90s san francisco literally 4 episodes into the series, 3 if youre counting the premiere 2 parter as one episode

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Voyager really is where the wheels started coming off creatively (yeah you can see the cracks forming in TNG season 6-7) because it's an entire Star Trek series designed to prop up a cable TV network

Staw Trek: Voyajuh.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Paper Lion posted:

voyager so creatively and financially bankrupt that they time travel to contemporary 90s san francisco literally 4 episodes into the series, 3 if youre counting the premiere 2 parter as one episode

Futures End was in Season 3 ???

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Axe-man posted:

It's kind of weird how little they established about the place while they were there. AFAIK nobody ever added a couple of empires to the galactic map or anything, outside of Pakleds in LD, seems like the quadrant is still pretty much a mystery to federation. It was also how weird nobody really cared about seeing a new species from a far part of the galaxy. There was one planet of aliens who were going to force Tom Paris to get a spaceship driving licence, like, dealing with First Contact and all that was nothing, just a space cop like "hey, you can't fly around here without a license!"

Maybe that is just how it would go in such a massively populated universe like Trek. After you meet a few aliens you stop being excited about some new people who are basically you with some different poo poo on or off their face. If you're lucky the aliens will have some crazy beliefs like up is left and release from prison comes before sentencing and trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Burning_Monk posted:

Futures End was in Season 3 ???

my brain managed to somehow cross wires on future's end and time and again, which is also a time travel plot and is in fact the fourth episode of the show. its just not the one i cited. it does have cost cutting measures in it though because everyone wears that stupid costume with the orange stripes