Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

The first time I played with RTS and Wasteland Defense, I made the Afterschool Special house my laboratory, cleared it out of furniture and replaced it with every blueprinted computer terminal, panel and device I could carry home on Brahmin Bess's back. My own personal Robco factory copied from Cerulean labs, with the Sink interfaces and other scripted objects installed in it, and just terminals in stacks everywhere, all with functionality. It was a cool thing to have at the core of a sprawling junkyard empire.

I do have Afterschool installed again this time, but mostly for Edgecomb Repair (who are mentioned in Novac Public Library, which is nice verisimilitude). This time around my plan is to make my home a Yes-man powered throne in the Lucky 38 penthouse.

v1ld posted:

Adding Stash Organizer would make any room a good house, which is the point of that mod.

Ooh that looks really good, I'm gonna seriously consider it. I was never a fan of Sortomatic but I like what I'm reading about this so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The interface is brilliant, also dig how they reused the VATs key as the single key you need to interact with any container under its management.

Consider grabbing their Chill Companions mod while you're there. Leads to cool hilarity that may be good for an LP.

Boone for eg would take a nap in cells that had a bed - I'm sure that's coincidence but it gave him character. Like when I was looting REPCONN test site post lift-off I went into a room with some guy sleeping on a floor mattress, did a double take and it was he, killer of Legions and taker of naps.

Veronica decided to hang by the exit when I was giving REPCONN HQ a final go-over. It's cool to not have them slavishly follow you around in known to be safe and explored areas. Will also apply to any houses you make so using Stash Organizer. Take a nap at your Novac hotel room? Be ready to share it with Boone!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Jamie Faith posted:

So what's so bad with beyond boulder dome anyway? I've never gotten around to playing it. Is it just the usual bad fanfic tier writing common in mods? Or is it really dark and edgelordy or what?

All of that, plus it's really poorly balanced (I don't know of any way to beat the final boss without cheating.)

There's a conversation between NPCs in the beginning that is accomplished by having you zoom in and talk to each npc in turn, rather than having them talk to each other. This is directly after fighting racist Chinese caricature ghouls.

When you're kidnapped in the intro, your followers just... leave. "I'm sure they're fine."

There's a notification that will not go away in the upper left. It just keeps going, every few seconds, forever.

It really feels like the people who wrote this based their writing style on FO3, not NV.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Finished HH at level 15 and was wondering when to enter the other DLCs.

DM scales at levels 5, 15, 25, 35, 45, 55. Ghost People get bumps in HP at those levels.

OWB is supposed to scale at 20, 30, 40, 50. But the vanilla enemy lists have the enemies scaled for 20-30 even at 1-20, so it's effectively scaling at 30, 40, 50 instead. There's a mod that fixes this: OWB Level Scaling Fix. Roboscorpions for eg have DT 15 at level 1 and level 30, which would explain the sponginess complaints.

I'm going to do DM at 20 or soon after and OWB right after, which should be close to 25. Figure starting 5 levels below the next bump is a good way to run it.

E: Just checked: YUP adds new scaling points for Giant RoboScorpions at 1 and 10. I.e., it fixes level 1 scaling and adds a new scaling level at 10. But it does this for only Giant RoboScorps, not the rest of the enemies.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 21, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Nvm, no point in re-litigating an old review of this game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

v1ld posted:

Nvm, no point in re-litigating an old review of this game.

:jpmf:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Visiting the NCR Sharecropper Farm in game always reminds me of a certain review of this game.

Skimming it now seems like he was hoping for more of FO3. There, a milquetoast review of a decade-old review.

E: Haha, couldn't hold myself to skimming after all. Dude is full of himself - other positive reviews are from people with a "strained grin." Only he, the almighty truth sayer coming unto those waiting (on rocks) for his words, can, well, say the truth. And he's even kind enough to say "what a bummer I am" to those of us who CANNOT HANDLE HIS TRUTH.

What a crock of poo poo.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 21, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

v1ld posted:

Visiting the NCR Sharecropper Farm in game always reminds me of a certain review of this game.

Skimming it now seems like he was hoping for more of FO3. There, a milquetoast review of a decade-old review.

lol

quote:

Caesar’s Legion are New Vegas’ big addition to the Fallout lore. They’re a huge, warlike tribe that attempt to embody the characteristics of a Roman legion, meaning leather tunics, little skirts and ferocious disciple- drugs, and as far as I can tell, jokes, are banned. There is just nothing interesting about them, except for the fact that they all pronounce Caesar “Kai-zar”, a mystery I never got to the bottom of.

Edit: They are mostly right about survival mode, especially in the base game without mods, just being pointless tedium and book keeping.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Edit: They are mostly right about survival mode, especially in the base game without mods, just being pointless tedium and book keeping.

Yeah, had mentioned that in my original post too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That's one of the areas I had in mind when I said some places in NV are a bit too big for their own good (Hoover dam was another). Yes they make the world slightly more believable, but they're pretty boring to go through if you don't treat them as just background setting. No one's forcing you to check every shack, but games train to you expect that there might be something worthwhile in some of them (but there isn't afair).

I don't know if it's entirely fair to blame the game, rather than accepting that's just how Obsidian wanted to build their world, but I think there might be a more palatable middle ground.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Is that the review where he took pictures of the horizon to show how empty and lifeless the game is, but each of the pictures were framed very carefully to hide major landmarks just off the edge of the picture

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, which is why the farm always triggers the memory - it's one of those pics.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
To be fair there are a couple of specific areas that are a really irritating huge empty slog where you desperately long for a sprint button, and the McCarran/Sharecropper Farms area is definitely right up there with Nellis and HD in that regard. Those areas really just needed an extra couple of fast travel markers. Thank the gods for modding.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you're going to download a weird and janky new series of quests for NV, get Salt Lake Stories, that's at least got some neat ideas.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Survival mode owns. I do find it (sorry) IMMERSIVE. The only problem is it doesn't go far enough, so you need mods like Jsawyer to really give it some punch

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

counterpoint: companions dying makes me sad

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
~setessential 000E32AA 1

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pretty neat new mod (You Are (Not) SPECIAL) that ties your skill caps to your attributes. E.g., charisma of 1 only lets you get speech to 55 (skillbooks let you go beyond your cap if you use them after reaching the cap).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

ooooh that’s really cool. gonna snag that for sure

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Thank you all for the recommendations, I ditched Boulder Dome and added Stash Organizer. I didn't realize it let you rename cells!

No more living in "abandoned shack" for me, this place is "Johnny's Party Shack" now!

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Pretty neat new mod (You Are (Not) SPECIAL) that ties your skill caps to your attributes. E.g., charisma of 1 only lets you get speech to 55 (skillbooks let you go beyond your cap if you use them after reaching the cap).

That looks cool thanks. I've been looking for mods/Stewie tweaks to make Special more impactful and this is going to be big for me.

Eric the Mauve posted:

To be fair there are a couple of specific areas that are a really irritating huge empty slog where you desperately long for a sprint button, and the McCarran/Sharecropper Farms area is definitely right up there with Nellis and HD in that regard. Those areas really just needed an extra couple of fast travel markers. Thank the gods for modding.

This was one of the few things I had a problem with when playing however I didn't want to fast travel either as I felt that would take away the danger. I've wanted to use this mod but since it's 7 years old, I'm hesitant to use it. Is there a more up to date equivalent? If not The Living Desert and one or both of AWOLP and/or MoreMojave should help for normal travel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dreamsicle posted:

That looks cool thanks. I've been looking for mods/Stewie tweaks to make Special more impactful and this is going to be big for me.

This was one of the few things I had a problem with when playing however I didn't want to fast travel either as I felt that would take away the danger. I've wanted to use this mod but since it's 7 years old, I'm hesitant to use it. Is there a more up to date equivalent? If not The Living Desert and one or both of AWOLP and/or MoreMojave should help for normal travel.

Last patch was released in 2011 there's probably script optimization that could but it shouldn't be broken or anything.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dreamsicle posted:

Yeah but there's no danger in any of those areas, ever, which is part of what makes sloooowly walking back and forth across them so excruciating.

Skwirl posted:

Last patch was released in 2011 there's probably script optimization that could but it shouldn't be broken or anything.

I don't know but just based on what it does I would not be surprised if this particular mod was a script-heavy save-file-exploding disaster.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lStewieAl is now "maintaining" a fork of NV Reloaded. Given their past record (i.e., Tweaks) that's potentially really exciting.

"New Vegas Reloaded (NVR) is an NVSE plugin that modifies the code of the rendering pipeline, adding new features and providing screen effects not supported in the vanilla game. NVR modifies vanilla shaders and supports several built-in effects, but also has a custom engine to support new effects."

Among other things it adds ambient occlusion (without the need for ENB).

The problem with NVR is that it was always a janky WiP, so Stewie getting involved gives me hope it might get some fixes and polish. That is if I'm not misconstruing their role in the project.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The mod I'd most like to see get an update is alternative roleplayer's start. Janky, some of the features don't work, but at the end of the day it's quicker using a computer to set up who I am than talking to the old Doc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bogart posted:

The mod I'd most like to see get an update is alternative roleplayer's start. Janky, some of the features don't work, but at the end of the day it's quicker using a computer to set up who I am than talking to the old Doc.

You familiar with Better Character Creation? It speeds up that part of the game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Thanks! But I also like the odd perk, skill, and starting zone distribution that ARS provides.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

watho posted:

counterpoint: companions dying makes me sad

I always just reload when they die. With your companions being vulnerable, it means you can't just let them throw themselves into combat, do some damage, and then get harmlessly knocked out and you finish off what's left. You've got to really plan out how you're going to approach any combat encounter which is neat I think.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

and it got me get ED-E the armor upgrade

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Found a link to Modern HUD. The author has a page up with their mods: https://anro19.github.io/Anros-Workshop/.

Modern HUD needs SUP NVSE which was also deleted and subsequently re-uploaded at https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/73160?tab=files

Found the link by, what else, getting a link to a discord and going through a bunch of chat. Trawling discords for mods is not fun.

Rinkles posted:

lStewieAl is now "maintaining" a fork of NV Reloaded. Given their past record (i.e., Tweaks) that's potentially really exciting.

Nice! Have a link to this?

Rinkles posted:

and it got me get ED-E the armor upgrade

I wanted that upgrade but I'll be damned if I let science be locked away by the BoS! So now ED-E has blue lasers instead of the armor that would be more helpful.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 23, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

Nice! Have a link to this?

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/65525

For the time being they've just uploaded an old, more stable version (1.3.0 v 3.4.1). To be clear I'm not sure what their "maintenance" will entail.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

v1ld posted:

I wanted that upgrade but I'll be damned if I let science be locked away by the BoS! So now ED-E has blue lasers instead of the armor that would be more helpful.

I always thought that was a remarkably huge shift of power, yeah. A whole army of ED-Es? gently caress, Elijah should have just waited around, even those Sierra Madre vending machines he's so enamored of can't poop out batteries and C4 from nothing like eyebots apparently can.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

NVR having actual dynamic lighting means we might finally be able to get a real flashlight mod for NV and not just a flashlight that doesn’t actually light up anything and works by causing 20 muzzle flashes a second at whatever you’re pointing at

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
As far as I can tell, New Vegas Reloaded hasn't been uploaded since February and the author seems more interested in keeping working on the TES stuff he's doing. Which fair enough, it's a lot of stuff to handle for a single person, but the only way to not get artifacts during conversations is to use the camera mode which is horrible.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Has any "completely remake an old polular game in a newer game's engine" mod for a game of this scope ever been completed? It's a gargantuan amount of work with zero authorial creativity involved.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

NVR is more an "enhance/hack new features into the existing engine" than migrating FNV into a new engine. It sucks the source isn't available, but lStewieAl Tweaks and NVSE/NVSE modules are already doing this, so it's certainly possible. Stewie is injecting and overriding engine code for much of the stuff in that mod, which is why some tweaks need a restart to take effect.

Whether a perfect solution can be found without engine source who knows :shrug:

E: I mean the NVR 1.3 and 3.4.1 releases from Nexus which I tried yesterday for the first time. Don't know much about the project or history beyond that. What those have is an overridden dll to inject code into the NV exe, but there may be more on the reloaded website?

The detailed shadows produced by 3.4.1 are lovely - when they work. Unfortunately, they flicker in and out for me. And I got the white/transparent clothing/bodies bug which is apparently from Alenet not being interested in supporting AMD cards

v1ld fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 23, 2021

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Oh apparently they moved the mod to Nexus because Alenet isn't interested in supporting it anymore, but as far as I can tell the version is the same I played with last time, so same bugs.

I do think the shadows help a lot, like it still looks like an old game, but the atmosphere is tremendously improved.

They did have the source code on their website forums but I'm not sure if it's updated to the latest version. FAKE EDIT: It seems like they hid the source repository? Weird choice, but whatever.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The shadows were fantastic, yeah. If they can get that to work in a stable fashion, mods like ILO that inject real lights into the game will be tremendously atmospheric.

The sun seems to be the single major light source though I didn't test extensively. It was great to see even the flag outside Doc Mitchell's place casting a dynamic moving shadow as it flapped in the breeze. Conversely, the pip-boy light isn't a real light source and casts no shadows.

A real flashlight mod like FrancisFukyomama says would be tremendous for this game. I did Vault 34 a couple days ago and it would be even more atmospheric with real lighting and a flashlight. STALKER lab level creepy at that point.

NVR is much lighter than ENB in terms of GPU - hugely so, it's not even close. I hope it can be made to work well with this game.

Playing with NVR yesterday got me to try out some actual ENBs for a change. The ENB of the Apocalypse looks pretty - the desaturated and chilly look is a nice contrast for now, gonna keep it for a bit. The Skyrim ENB manager makes it easy to add/switch/remove ENBs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Has any "completely remake an old polular game in a newer game's engine" mod for a game of this scope ever been completed? It's a gargantuan amount of work with zero authorial creativity involved.

Morroblivion (Morrowind in the Oblivion engine) was completed for at least the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

For masochists like me, Qolore implemented FO4's survival's sleep-to-save system. I was looking for this for my last playthrough. It will make DM (more) painful, though.

Simple Fallout 4 Survival Saving