Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Just want him back.

Also lmao weren't the weather underground maoists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 59 days!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Also lmao weren't the weather underground maoists?

they were MLs on paper, at least, though id argue that their strategy wasn't all that marxist or leninist

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

quote:

In an interview published in 1995, Ayers characterized his political beliefs at that time and in the 1960s and 1970s: "I am a radical, Leftist, small 'c' communist ... [Laughs] Maybe I'm the last communist who is willing to admit it. [Laughs] We have always been small 'c' communists in the sense that we were never in the Communist party and never Stalinists. The ethics of communism still appeal to me. I don't like Lenin as much as the early Marx. I also like Henry David Thoreau, Mother Jones and Jane Addams [...]"

yeah im more of fan of the early marx

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

once again, it is all about bedtimes

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
those seem like pretty important questions, except for the one about will there still be cities or will people spread out evenly across the globe, which is a very stupid question a child would come up with

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

paul_soccer12 posted:

those seem like pretty important questions, except for the one about will there still be cities or will people spread out evenly across the globe, which is a very stupid question a child would come up with

its ok we'll just like figure that out when we get there or whatever. the important thing is there are no bedtimes

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not going to lie, I feel the same frustration when smug liberal centrists do their whole "Well if you think better things are possible, tell me what the zoning laws in Peoria will be under communism in the year 3000"

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
everyone owning the bedtimes strawman is a huge baby that wants to be tucked in by cops

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

pnac attack posted:

everyone owning the bedtimes strawman is a huge baby that wants to be tucked in by cops

when u think about it, parents are really just bedtime police :thunk:

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not going to lie, I feel the same frustration when smug liberal centrists do their whole "Well if you think better things are possible, tell me what the zoning laws in Peoria will be under communism in the year 3000"

yes but it has to get to zoning laws in peoria under communism in the year 3000, not very simple questions like "so how do you enforce this no domination thing"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It wouldn't be so funny if it didn't keep coming up

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 59 days!
bedtimes are actually a way i often open up conversations with people im trying to organize when discussing the power of the boss over our lives. i thought it was dumb when i first came up with it but it works more often than you might think. i think its because people get pissed off when they feel infantilized and nothing is more infantilizing than bedtime. never underestimate the power of the anarchist to take a working argument and completely gently caress it up

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

pnac attack posted:

I tuck myself in, bitch

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

paul_soccer12 posted:

“c’mon, let’s just abolish everything, we can worry about all the insignificant details later. what? your daughter’s life depends on a dependable supply of daily medication and you want to make sure freight shipments will continue? well I’m not sure who will want to volunteer to drive the trucks but don’t worry about it just let us know the next time you fill your 21 day prescription and we’ll start the revolution that night, I’m sure everything will be settled by the time she needs more medicine”

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
"quit heroin? but that's what makes me happy"

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
how do you square being an anarcho-primitivist with thinking everyone should try living in their car, pnac attack

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

indigi posted:

“c’mon, let’s just abolish everything, we can worry about all the insignificant details later. what? your daughter’s life depends on a dependable supply of daily medication and you want to make sure freight shipments will continue? well I’m not sure who will want to volunteer to drive the trucks but don’t worry about it just let us know the next time you fill your 21 day prescription and we’ll start the revolution that night, I’m sure everything will be settled by the time she needs more medicine”

Well... Lenin himself says kind of the same thing in state and rev. Essentially "those questions are for after the state withers away, and trying to guess at their answers is a distraction/utopianism".

This is the one thing I'm not 100% on board with or understanding. Folks making fun of anarchists about 'how will you do x without a state', but.... the end goal of communism also doesn't have a state, so how WILL those things be done?

EDIT: The answer is the same in both: 'administrative' functions don't have anything to do with a state, right?

Kaedric has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Sep 22, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In Marxist thought, "the state" and "government" aren't the same thing. The state is "the executive committee of the ruling class," so a classless society will have governance but it won't be a state as Marx defined it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Kaedric posted:

Well... Lenin himself says kind of the same thing in state and rev. Essentially "those questions are for after the state withers away, and trying to guess at their answers is a distraction/utopianism".

This is the one thing I'm not 100% on board with or understanding. Folks making fun of anarchists about 'how will you do x without a state', but.... the end goal of communism also doesn't have a state, so how WILL those things be done?

the state doesn’t wither away overnight. the process of the state dissolving involves identifying the solutions to the problems usually solved or facilitated by the state apparatus.

the problem is anarchists want it to wither away overnight with no transition between capitalism and communism, which is dumb

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

pnac attack posted:

"quit heroin? but that's what makes me happy"

wow turns out you're just a poo poo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Doctor Jeep posted:

wow turns out you're just a poo poo

I don’t know if they’re a poo poo, they just seem completely ignorant. no long term heroin addict will tell you it makes them happy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think that heroin isn't going to be in short supply in an anarchist utopia given that no mechanism exists to curtail or stomp out cartel behaviors. Lifesaving medicine of course is a separate matter. Not sure why those were conflated

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Anarchy means I get to pee wherever I want, whenever I want.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

Kaedric posted:

EDIT: The answer is the same in both: 'administrative' functions don't have anything to do with a state, right?

the state will wither but organizational functions won't. its impossible to know the proverbial zoning laws in peoria in the year 3000 but the general idea of the form it takes is something of a worldwide democratic centralist governance with branches and leaves in every region, including what are now considered states, handling whatever needs to be done to manage resources and services in that region while negotiating with bodies beside, below, and above them to ensure efficiency and cooperation.

some anarchists aren't super fond of this because it implies a hierarchy still exists, but i am not an anarchist in no small part because i disagree with this (popular) strain of anarchism. better read anarchists tend to want to organize things this way as well as they are against unjust hierarchies but they can get jumpy about these organizing bodies having any ability to enforce anything. i dont see how this is supposed to work either. as the state withers there won't be nearly as much, if any, need to use violence or coercion required in the functioning of the government, which would actually be by and for the people with everyone's interest in mind, and thus problems and disputes would be worked out in a timely manner using avenues of redress accessible to all so there would be no need for violence.

at least on a larger/governance scale. what i dont think we can know is what society looks like after several generations of the state being withered. will we need forces with The People's Stick to stop people from brutalizing others still, or would a society that has been taught about consent and has a general lack of want from birth in all living memory not even really have problems with that? i think too much anarchism focuses on this unknowable question, when we can all just agree that all cops are bad and current states has to be smashed, aside from 5 in particular there might be some disagreements on.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

hot witch divorcee posted:

will we need forces with The People's Stick to stop people from brutalizing others still, or would a society that has been taught about consent and has a general lack of want from birth in all living memory not even really have problems with that?

I think we will, not on the scale of today but humans are humans. sometimes someone is gonna say something dumb and catch a fade, or a mentally ill sociopath is gonna become a serial killer, or a parent is gonna abuse their child. gonna need detectives (who will function more like social workers) at the very least but it’d be smart to have a crew ready to roll after the home team has a bad playoff loss in a soccer game

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

hot witch divorcee posted:

or would a society that has been taught about consent and has a general lack of want from birth in all living memory not even really have problems with that?
This is sorta why I see Anarchism as a religion. It only works if everyone is on board, and I don't see how it handles someone, or a group of someone's that stray from the social ideology.

I still think it's not a bad message to spread, and I also think it's at the core of most religions. I just don't see it as capable of sustaining itself. Someone with power will always be there to try and use it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

eSporks posted:

This is sorta why I see Anarchism as a religion. It only works if everyone is on board, and I don't see how it handles someone, or a group of someone's that stray from the social ideology.

EZLN (I know they’re not traditional anarchists) have done a good job with this, they don’t incorporate an area until the population is educated on theory and knows what they’re getting into. they outlawed all drugs and have been united enough in that to be able to fend off cartel advances into their territory

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Kaedric posted:

in a fully realized communist world there'd be organs of administration that any of us, as capital subjects, could point at and say "hey this looks like a state to me", but the "state" as in the socioeconomic apparatus through which the capital class dominates the working class dissolves as class conflict is resolved. It's not so much that communism has a goal of a stateless world, per se, but the state as it existed prior to communism cannot manifest for the same reasons we don't see baronic feudalism manifesting in modern global capitalism.

The communist "state", in as much as you'd want to use that word to describe it, is the socioeconomic apparatus to execute the workers' will over the world, rather than the capitalists' will over the workers.

also Lenin, specifically, was largely making a point about his contemporaries who were often caught up in the same dumb arguments we have all the time nowadays about eg. zoning laws in Peoria whereas he had some actual poo poo that had to get done asap

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Kaedric posted:

I mean that's exactly the point? We DON'T know how to do those things so until we do we should probably have some form of state then figure out which parts can be withered how fast and when. As opposed to anarchism which is "Bro just do it now we already live in post scarcity!" Obviously not all anarchists are like this but almost all western anarchists are.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

- no

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I said most matti I left plenty of room for bed time anarchists and 7 billion humans should die world is a gently caress anarchists. It's a broad spectrum of dummies and some okay ones mixed in.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

oh sorry i just posted something before there and removed it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/maxplanations/status/1440831672665067524

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Anarchists love bedtime as long as the CIA is tucking in other countries

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://mobile.twitter.com/besf0rt/status/1441435413248233475

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

chaz probably killed more black teenagers

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Reminds me of the post about an anarchist bookstore (in seattle?) that has the section "Marx and other authoritarians"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!