Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The boss fight music is pretty cool at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Eric the Mauve posted:

:emptyquote:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Moder with 4 other players with wolves and golems aggroing out of nowhere was a suitably chaotic and challenging (and fun) experience whereas the other 4 were either too boring or easy or cheeseable or unfinished.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're willing to go to that insanely much trouble to violate the spirit of the game's rules, just cheat. That's a spectacular amount of your life that you'll never get back that you're using up there.
Thought you can't use console commands on other people's servers?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Anyone else in an infinite perpetual state of wanting to play this again from the start, but not actually booting the game up

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Honestly them starting off with the coolest looking boss in the game was a brave move.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Blaise330 posted:

Anyone else in an infinite perpetual state of wanting to play this again from the start, but not actually booting the game up
Very much so.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Blaise330 posted:

It helps to have someone to do it with. That way you can at least BS with each other while doing the tedious early stuff.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blaise330 posted:

Kind of but I’m also waiting for the friend I mostly play with to get a free moment from his PhD. I may be waiting a bit longer.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Think the thing I wanted most (other than new biomes and building blocks and whatnot) from the game was villagers to populate my little fort, giving me a reason to build cool stuff and to automate framing and smelting and whatnot, and some sort of indicator from where attacks would come from.

Why should I bother building a cool palisade wall if the enemy just spawns in the middle of the place, you know?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
God, yes, absolutely.

Qualify a building as a certain station, send a villager there to have them do that thing. I want that so much.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

my #1 most wanted game feature is also something that incentivizes more than the most basic, utilitarian building

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Would villagers make sense? I thought we were in viking purgatory or something, not just a hobo in the woods on earth.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
Yeah that sort of completely breaks with what the game is ostensibly about, though, right? Aren't we all heroes whisked away from Midgard by Odin, to his little prison branch broken off of the World Tree where he keeps his weird enemies, to help keep them in check?

I agree that it would be rad, but I do like the idea of all these hardass berserker dudes having to self-sufficiently hoe rows of onions and tend smelters before battling Odin's most hated goo monster.

I do think a great deal of better action could be derived from changing the invasions/base defense in some way, but I'm not really sure how precisely. Right now it just seems like a messy pain in the rear end, and not very satisfying.

e: vvvvvv fair enough. Suppose it would be cool to find one of these wandering around or tending a field and recruiting them.

scopes fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 22, 2021

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I mean there are already villages, and many of the runestones talk about other valheimers just giving up hunting the Forsaken and settling down.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Wrr posted:

Why should I bother building a cool palisade wall if the enemy just spawns in the middle of the place, you know?

Enemies won't spawn within the build radius of workbenches. Hide them around your settlement to keep it spawn-free.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

cams posted:

my #1 most wanted game feature is also something that incentivizes more than the most basic, utilitarian building

I literally just want them to put every Terraria mechanic in the game, no joke.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Blaise330 posted:

yeah

but I think I can wait a few more months as well for another content patch.

there are so many games...

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I really hope they redesign the workbench mechanics. You can't use a workbench unless it's covered, but you can't build a cover until the workbench is already down. They have a tiny radius so you have to have those eyesores randomly cluttering your base to prevent spawns. Same for stonecutters and forges, too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

I literally just want them to put every Terraria mechanic in the game, no joke.

Yeah there continues to be a certain tension between the devs' vision and what most players want, which is pretty much 3D Terraria.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd like a more "lightweight" forge/work bench that can repair but not craft items, repair station for traveling? Something I can carry like an item.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Blaise330 posted:

Would villagers make sense? I thought we were in viking purgatory or something, not just a hobo in the woods on earth.

scopes posted:

Yeah that sort of completely breaks with what the game is ostensibly about, though, right? Aren't we all heroes whisked away from Midgard by Odin, to his little prison branch broken off of the World Tree where he keeps his weird enemies, to help keep them in check?

Sure making a village is in tension with the supposed point of the game being Viking Purgatory, but in turn the entire building mechanic, with the exception of crafting benches required to build better weapons, is at odds with that theme as well.

Valtonen posted:

I mean there are already villages, and many of the runestones talk about other valheimers just giving up hunting the Forsaken and settling down.

Maybe there could be something of the player character realizing Odin sucks poo poo and abandoned all these noble Viking souls for no real reason, and it is now up to them to build a safe haven for them. Or, turns out its hard to kill god by yourself and you need a village to get the tools to do the deed. Or the PC was cast into purgatory because they were a cowardly leader in life, and now they have a chance at redemption by becoming a mighty jarl in purgatory (and kill god). Something like that.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd like a more "lightweight" forge/work bench that can repair but not craft items, repair station for traveling? Something I can carry like an item.

Even just one time use repair kits would be great. They could be level 1, 2, etc... made off benches that are level 1, 2, etc... So you could repair stuff like black metal or padded armor in the field.

Could give a use for mats that just collect without use at end game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Valtonen posted:

Yeah, I think the bones are already there to have NPC villages just like in Conan Exiles. Would give greater use to the treasure and money as well. Really Conan's system would work great. Just have the run down villages that spawn now actually have NPCs in them that the player can either trade with or just raid, like a viking.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I feel like at some point they’re going to have to nerf portals some how. So many mechanics can be circumvented with ad-hoc portal usage.

Tools need repair? Drop a portal. Inventory full? Drop a portal. Low HP and spooky enemies around? Drop a portal. Need to sleep? Drop a portal.

It’s definitely convenient, but feels like it short changes a lot of potential updates. For example, repair kits discussed above - why do I need this if I can just drop a portal back to my main crafting area, chest all my non-portal resources, and full repair?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

causticBeet posted:

I feel like at some point they’re going to have to nerf portals some how. So many mechanics can be circumvented with ad-hoc portal usage.

Tools need repair? Drop a portal. Inventory full? Drop a portal. Low HP and spooky enemies around? Drop a portal. Need to sleep? Drop a portal.

It’s definitely convenient, but feels like it short changes a lot of potential updates. For example, repair kits discussed above - why do I need this if I can just drop a portal back to my main crafting area, chest all my non-portal resources, and full repair?

They're a concession. Imagine how much more of a slog this game would be without them. I think either you never have them to begin with or you live with what they are now. Taking them away or nerfing them would be a pretty big turn off to most people.

A lot of the fun of this game is getting out there and exploring and finding the next thing you need. Portals allow you to keep on with that, instead of forcing you to turn back half-way, or taking time to build camps literally everywhere.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

causticBeet posted:

I wouldn't them to nerd it too hard as then we're stuck walking and sailing a super long distance just to get repaired or drop off crap.

Since it seems like they're leaning into the base building stuff (and also that is one of the most interesting part of the game right now), what if building a portal required a certain amount of development around it? You can't just build a portal, it requires a house or two, some degree of settlement. Nothing too expensive of grueling, but enough work that repair tools are still worth investing in.

Edit- Or, how about a one-way return item so a player can still bounce from some of those above situations, but can't easily return as not to trivialize an expedition.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

pik_d posted:

They're a concession. Imagine how much more of a slog this game would be without them. I think either you never have them to begin with or you live with what they are now. Taking them away or nerfing them would be a pretty big turn off to most people.

A lot of the fun of this game is getting out there and exploring and finding the next thing you need. Portals allow you to keep on with that, instead of forcing you to turn back half-way, or taking time to build camps literally everywhere.

They're also absolutely crucial to being able to play multiplayer effectively.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Nerfing or limiting portals is a terrible idea and would make this game infinitely worse.

You already can't carry ores through them. The other day I spent 30 minutes sailing back with a long ship full of ores that my group mined in a swamp. It was fine for a trip back with all of that. If, instead, I had had to sail back to fix my gear, sail back again, and then once more, I'd either outright cheat by server hopping or simply not play.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I agree with no teleporting ores, but ingots should be able to.

It limits my desire to make a new base/settlement other than my initial one because you need so many mats for the workbench and forge upgrades and doing multiple trips by boat is a pain. And god forbid you want to do something inland.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That I get around by having basically one remote mining base at a time. When it's exhausted, cart the goods down to the shore, pop it in a boat, and sail it over to the next place (or just leave it if you're still gonna go explore)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's definitely the kind of risky task I'm happy accomplishing once to prove I know how and can pull it off, but then afterwards it's no longer really a challenge or exciting barrier, it's busywork that has a chance to go wrong, and how long it takes is largely up to random winds. The wind console commands need to be an item, possibly some kind of wand that you make music with and changes wind direction. There's a thousand ideas for how to make there be a compelling struggle to first acquire a resource and shail it back home, while removing some of the tediousness whenever you're next like "okay I once again need infinity metal." Even if you only ever make one set of metal tier gear for yourself, if you're at all interested in building and decorating, you have essentially an inexhaustible need for all resources. Even a full naked inventory and full boat worth of metal can be burned through in a couple minutes depending on what you're making, the amount of no-longer-interesting-or-challenging labor those materials require is bad enough just physically mining the materials out, tossing out ambers and dwarf eyes the whole time to pick up more, the additional logistics hurdle just compounds and punishes you for wanting to make elaborate installations or even just experimental and backup gear.

I think there's a tension right now between material gathering being balanced for initial gear/boss progress, but don't really have any mechanics for once you're way past those hurdles or if your primary current interest is building. I would imagine end-game at least you'd be given tools that can harvest entire ore veins, many trees, bigger chunks of land, etc.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

That I get around by having basically one remote mining base at a time. When it's exhausted, cart the goods down to the shore, pop it in a boat, and sail it over to the next place (or just leave it if you're still gonna go explore)

That's pretty much what I do for mining as well. I'm talking about later in the game finding a spot you'd rather have your main base of operations be.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't like portals but I'm a weird rear end in a top hat that beat Witcher 3 without fast traveling and only walking when in a town, including Novigrad. That's how I like it, but I think a lot of people want fast travel.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Can’t wait for them to add cool Terraria features like *checks notes* jetpacks and golf cart mounts!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'd be ok with portal tiers. Done with forests and bronze tier stuff? Use a bunch of it to make portals that can handle bronze but not iron. Done with swamps and swimming in iron? Use a bunch of it to make a portal that can handle iron but not silver.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

bird food bathtub posted:

I'd be ok with portal tiers. Done with forests and bronze tier stuff? Use a bunch of it to make portals that can handle bronze but not iron. Done with swamps and swimming in iron? Use a bunch of it to make a portal that can handle iron but not silver.

An enchanted portal access stone with a radius that affects all portals within range to allow one-way travel with the tier of metal that built it. Drop a silver access stone in the mountains; drop all of them in your central hub base, etc.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Or maybe the portals can't be built but every island is guaranteed to have at least one and can travel to any other portal you found, with the forsaken altar counting as the first one. It would encourage you to explore each island thoroughly and biome based portals might be gated by boss items somehow (black forest portal needs a pick to dig out, swamp portal needs a key to activate, mountain portal will only turn on with wishbone activated, and plains portal, uh, needs some dark iron constructed doodad to activate.)

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
To be fair, my idea of “nerf portals” would have to come with a handful of mechanics changes to support it - not just done alone or in a vacuum. Less “add tedium by removing QOL portals” and more add more cool ways to interact with the world so that the defacto solution to every problem isn’t just “drop portal to main”

Panfilo posted:

Or maybe the portals can't be built but every island is guaranteed to have at least one and can travel to any other portal you found, with the forsaken altar counting as the first one. It would encourage you to explore each island thoroughly and biome based portals might be gated by boss items somehow (black forest portal needs a pick to dig out, swamp portal needs a key to activate, mountain portal will only turn on with wishbone activated, and plains portal, uh, needs some dark iron constructed doodad to activate.)

I think this is a really cool idea - in general I’d love to see more unique locations and ruins in the world, and “cool portal shrine” fits the bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I really want to see that idea of a mobile workbench-on-a-cart come to life.