Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I just passed some sort of weird test and said we should have nuclear power to my dad, so he’s decided to transfer the money my grandma gave him to hand over to my kids 5 years ago as part of her living will. He must have assumed this wasn’t the only reason I was still in contact with him.

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Starmer has handed in his "What I did this summer instead of opposing the government" essay and it's as much of a wet fart as you might expect. Can't even be arsed copying and pasting the Twitter links because I'm on my phone, it's just nothing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

I just passed some sort of weird test and said we should have nuclear power to my dad, so he’s decided to transfer the money my grandma gave him to hand over to my kids 5 years ago as part of her living will. He must have assumed this wasn’t the only reason I was still in contact with him.

Lol.

hes decided your not going to fritter it away ont bloody windmills

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

learnincurve posted:

Lol.

Well, we'll miss the updates on his latest evil gammon pronouncements, but I hope you have the opportunity to tell him to gently caress off forever. Although just completely ghosting is pretty satisfying too.

Oct 4, 2005

Yay! I've had two energy providers go bust on me in the last two years. What a great system this is

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well, we'll miss the updates on his latest evil gammon pronouncements, but I hope you have the opportunity to tell him to gently caress off forever. Although just completely ghosting is pretty satisfying too.

yikes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Yikes bro

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

unsure how to respond.

Just a big thing for me to go all in on a family thing like that. But then I became a venture scout having wanted to leave 1st beavers meeting cos I couldn't argue with mum and dad.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

1965917 posted:

Yay! I've had two energy providers go bust on me in the last two years. What a great system this is

In the past 4or 5 years I've been with Bulb, Avro, Gnergy, Yorkshire and PFP. Of those Bulb are the only ones still going and that might not be for long.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1440780033044353033

Oh they mad

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

unsure how to respond.

Just a big thing for me to go all in on a family thing like that. But then I became a venture scout having wanted to leave 1st beavers meeting cos I couldn't argue with mum and dad.

If you've never had to cut a toxic parent out of your life completely then you're lucky, leave it at that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Lol.

Woo some good news, hopefully breaking his manky little fash heart is as satisfying to you as it would be to me!

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Lungboy posted:

In the past 4or 5 years I've been with Bulb, Avro, Gnergy, Yorkshire and PFP. Of those Bulb are the only ones still going and that might not be for long.

What actually happens if my energy supplier goes bust? I’m assuming your gas isn’t shut off at midnight, is it just a change to the letter head and price at the end of the month?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Are these ones an op as well or are they good. they seem a bit fathers 4 justice

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

vodkat posted:

What actually happens if my energy supplier goes bust? I’m assuming your gas isn’t shut off at midnight, is it just a change to the letter head and price at the end of the month?

yeah

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Looking at changing our tariff to a fixed rate because

- that seems like a good idea right now
- our variable tariff already sucks poo poo and literally everywhere is cheaper

Is there anywhere I can get an idea of what companies are going to go tits up?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

vodkat posted:

Yeah it's no big deal, you just get assigned to a new company and they switch you over. The tarrif usually changes though but they normally have no exit fees so you can switch back out again as soon as you want. Any credit you have with the defunct company is also protected although it can take a while to get it back.

fatelvis posted:

At this point I think you have to assume that they are all going to fold if they aren't called BG, E.On, EDF, Scottish, SSE or Npower

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 22, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

unsure how to respond.

Sounds healthy

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

fatelvis posted:

Looking at changing our tariff to a fixed rate because

- that seems like a good idea right now
- our variable tariff already sucks poo poo and literally everywhere is cheaper

SSE or British Gas.

Anyone else is legit a risk.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Just dont pay your bills. what are they gonna do send a man round to count the electricity lmao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
knock knock yes hello im the 'gas man' and i've come to count up all the times you've turned the cooker on and then you have to pay me for it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

they'll have to drag me kicking and screaming off the m25 if they want me to start paying my energy bills

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

GMB don’t like Ed because he said on TV last week that Starmer was still committed to the Green New Deal as laid out in the 10 pledges. Makes it more awkward for Keith to ditch it, which is probably why he said that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Don't know why they're mad about it leaking, because there's nothing to leak. It's an absolute void, 14,000 words that don't say a drat thing.

Yes, the Tories are poo poo, the country's swirling down the crapper, and people really want things to change for the better. That much is obvious, Wet Egg Man. But what are you going to do to bring that about?

Starmer: In this overlong essay, I propose

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fash: 14 words

starmer: 14,000 words

same outcome

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

vodkat posted:

We're going to be assigned to whichever of the Big 6 will take us on. Take a photo of your meter ASAP, and download your last statement if you can. I tried to log in to access my bills and account history when I heard the news my supplier was bust, but it was already too late.

Your supply won't stop, but do not attempt to do anything yourself to get a new supplier, because it'll only cause confusion. Quite a few people I know have had the same thing happen and British Gas seems to be the supplier everyone is beign allocated to.

I left one of the big 6 companies over their shoddy customer service about a year ago, and now I might be forcefully allocated to them. There's no escape.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1440792722034462721?s=20

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

the sex ghost posted:

Are these ones an op as well or are they good. they seem a bit fathers 4 justice

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-09-22/insulate-britain-protester-on-why-he-hasnt-insulated-his-own-home

Well it has given us this hilarious clip already. So who's to say if they're good or bad.

Spokesman for Insulate Britain turns out not to have his own home insulated, can't settle on a reason for why, compares self to Churchill standing up to Hitler, storms off set.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Starmer waffle:

Why is it always "hard working families"? What about "hard working single people"?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

When you're too loving worthless even for Behr boy have you hosed up somewhere along the line

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-09-22/insulate-britain-protester-on-why-he-hasnt-insulated-his-own-home

Well it has given us this hilarious clip already. So who's to say if they're good or bad.

Spokesman for Insulate Britain turns out not to have his own home insulated, can't settle on a reason for why, compares self to Churchill standing up to Hitler, storms off set.

confused on who you're supporting here? Am I misunderstanding something and youre saying this is a deliberately shite protest organised by mfi to make all protest shite?

I'm kind of the guy that doesnt want the m25 blocked and bugger protestors to an extent.

That video would make me find that guy and go and sit on the m25 with him. So unfair. Some nobody with obviously piss poor media training and they body him in a way they would never dare do to someone in an actual position of power that has caused immeasurably more deaths. Jesus. I dunno why he didnt just say yeah wtf does it matter if my home is insulated, that only makes my point more strongly? Maybe he knew he was a bit of a hypocrite cos he could just about technically afford it and they'd show a picture of him on holiday or something and someone told him to ignore that point and he just didnt have the training to turn it around. I dunno

But gently caress. My point with the earlier picture, i dunno it was the non sequitur drug dealer heading out of nowhere

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
they really sent that guy onto TV news and didn't expect that he'd be asked the extremely obvious question about his own home? didn't think to maybe coach him on a response that wasn't panicked deflection?

they're even less competent than XR and that's saying something

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

knock knock yes hello im the 'gas man' and i've come to count up all the times you've turned the cooker on and then you have to pay me for it

Before they invented the dry gas meter, the only way of counting gas was with a wet meter, which bubbled the gas up through water to turn a paddle wheel to drive the counter. In order to be even vaguely accurate these meters had to be huge - like a metre or so across - and also could only deal with large flows, the tiny amounts used in homes were basically uncountable, so everyone just paid a fixed weekly amount based on how many gas jets (for lighting) and burners they had in their house.

If you flick through turn-of-the-century housekeeping magazines they're full of handy hints and terrifying gadgets designed to take advantage of the fact that you could just leave all the burners on all the time (and in fact were a fool if you didn't do so because your neighbours definitely were and so you were subsidising them if you didn't) - from stuff like quickly-removable adaptors to turn a single lamp jet into a multiple-jet fitting (requiring you yo saw through the gas pipe to fit it) to actual internal combustion engines to run wash agitators and mangles. It's frankly a miracle our great*n grandparents ever survived long enough to have kids.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao that "infinite demand" is real except it's for loving town gas.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lungboy posted:

At this point I think you have to assume that they are all going to fold if they aren't called BG, E.On, EDF, Scottish, SSE or Npower

Total aren't going anywhere. You won't catch me shedding tears if Opus go tits up though, we've been trying to prise a supply out of their mitts for a year now and they just won't let it go.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Owen Jones finally snapping over Starmer is honestly pretty funny, ngl.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Owen Jones finally snapping over Starmer is honestly pretty funny, ngl.

He did originally (around the time of the leadership election - possibly just after??) say "we should give Starmer our support" but he's been talking smack about Starmer for ages now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

WhatEvil posted:

He did originally (around the time of the leadership election - possibly just after??) say "we should give Starmer our support" but he's been talking smack about Starmer for ages now.

Yeah he said that so that the 'left' wouldnt immediately fall into doing exactly what the right did and just wreck things for the sake of it. As soon as Kiers colours came out he was ripping on him as he should do.

Also Starmers essay is strikingly similar in both words and tone as David Camerons manifesto. Almost like it was stolen and rewritten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

lmao that "infinite demand" is real except it's for loving town gas.
Neoclassical economics wasn't invented until after the dry gas meter, so at the time they ignorantly assumed that if you labeled a service "disgusting rear end farts that will murder your pets, but cheaper than lamp oil" people would use as little of it as possible rather than rigging up a flymo to it to run their spin dryer in the off hours.