Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

Approximately five year follow up post, after all the flooding and what not ...

How's Dallas getting on with its Trinity River Park floodway?

https://artandseek.org/2021/01/14/waterfront-land-donation-completes-boundaries-for-trinity-river-park-project/

They might be able to start construction next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Spotted in Vancouver real estate. That's a $700K, 1,081 sqft house right there.

Cheap!

Here's a $785K 676 sqft house in San Diego.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1230-Monroe-Ave-San-Diego-CA-92116/16954103_zpid/

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
ngl, I kinda love it.

The outdoor area probably doubles or triples the living space.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 22, 2021

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001

Whoa, WTF? There is a lot to unpack here.

Also, imagine living in an area where you can have your washer and drier outside the house.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

MrChrome posted:

there's not enough room!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
More crapper construction

There's a "toot your own horn" joke in there somewhere.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 22, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MrChrome posted:

Also, imagine living in an area where you can have your washer and drier outside the house.

hot water tanks too I've seen that on shows before and was like WTF.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

kid sinister posted:

More crapper construction

There's a "toot your own horn" joke in there somewhere.

That doesn't look comfortable. . . like even for a second.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I've never had an urge to dispose of bodily secretions in a tuba but it at least reminded me of a joke in The Naked Gun 3.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
So back in I wanna say '16 or '17 - I think '17 - we lost about a dozen shingles in a hurricane off the front slope of the house roof. Called my parents/landlords, they called the GC my mother and I work with and he sent his nephew out to have a look-see.

Couple days later, he comes back with the shingles, only they're not quite the same color as the existing ones, so with our blessing (thinking he's a professional), he pulls a few off the back of the house, right near the valley where the gabled patio roof meets the gabled house roof. So we have a little patch of slightly-darker shingles that you kinda sorta notice in the right light.

Fast forward...I dunno, end of '19 or so and I'm sitting at the kitchen table remote-working when a drop of water just...falls on my hand. Look up and there's a little water pooling at the corner of the AC vent, the bottom corner right over me (vaulted ceilings). That's when I notice, about a foot away from it and 4 feet downslope of the peak of the vault, a brown stain about 8 inches wide.

Since then, that has grown into a spotty tan line along what I assume is a drywall seam, another one on the other side of the vault, looks like a couple panels down from the vault, gray areas around all three of the can lights in the kitchen, and the absolute capstone, the moisture in the hallway light globe. 90% of it is on the same side as the original water spot.

I know it's something I need to get looked at but that's a lot of money and we already need to hit them up about kitchen drawers that need replaced (three of the cheap particle-board fuckers gave way), the new dishwasher we need, the new oven we need, and repositioning the loving water heater so the dryer can properly vent to the outside.

At this point, I'm really just curious what the gently caress he could have screwed up in the process of ripping off the shingles and replacing the dozen that he repurposed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

He screwed up the flashing. Or there was already another problem there.

DO NOT WAIT TO TELL THEM. This will get progressively more expensive as this leaks, and it a lot more serious than your kitchen drawers.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

D34THROW posted:

I know it's something I need to get looked at but that's a lot of money and we already need to hit them up about kitchen drawers that need replaced (three of the cheap particle-board fuckers gave way), the new dishwasher we need, the new oven we need, and repositioning the loving water heater so the dryer can properly vent to the outside.

Letting water come in from your roof knowingly for years is going to put you in a much much much worse and worse spot as it continues to go on and is a much greater concern than everything else you listed.

In the short term is it something that can at least have a tarp put over the patched area?

Jows
May 8, 2002

What is up with that basement? Is it even a basement, or like a lower outdoor level?
And surely it rains sometimes there - is a little hutch over the W/D sufficient?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

D34THROW posted:

At this point, I'm really just curious what the gently caress he could have screwed up in the process of ripping off the shingles and replacing the dozen that he repurposed.

Dude re-tarred it?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Jows posted:

What is up with that basement? Is it even a basement, or like a lower outdoor level?
And surely it rains sometimes there - is a little hutch over the W/D sufficient?

The house is sorta pushed out over a hillside and I think the basement is just the area under the overhang. If the price didn't grab all the attention, being suspended over a canyon filled with dry brush and eucalyptus trees in a drought prone part of the country would be a good crappy construction post in itself.

As for the laundry, It's a relatively common set up in older homes in San Diego, so I guess it works well enough. I'm not sure I'd be thrilled with it personally, though.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

D34THROW posted:

Others have said it already, but I can't stress this enough: this is your #1 priority if you don't want serious, long-term damage to your house and health. Water will gently caress poo poo up in ways you can't even imagine. Black mold, broken tiles, collapsed ceilings, destroyed subfloor, on and on, all kinds of fun.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
If you want to do it on the cheap buy a clear can of Flex seal and slather the area. It will prevent further damage and won't stick out like a sore thumb.

Forgot to mention, also apply it at least three to four feet above where you think the trouble spot is.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 23, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

D34THROW posted:

who gives a poo poo about the money or the fact that they are your parents. Fix your house. Yesterday. What the gently caress.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I just noticed the full title here

pretty sure our mouse feces are structural

The Dave posted:

Letting water come in from your roof knowingly for years is going to put you in a much much much worse and worse spot as it continues to go on and is a much greater concern than everything else you listed.

we're in year 2 of having someone try to fix our hosed flashing :allears: -- I am not attempting it myself, 45 degree angle roof 40' off the ground, gently caress that, also I've never touched flashing and doing this ex-post-facto is... hard.

last year, round #1 got us from "small deluge every time it rains" to "small drops only during severe storms" but obviously we need to solve that too before I can put all the inside walls I have apart to let this poo poo dry, back together. Also lol I've had that wall taken apart for a year, when it rains I go move the plastic sheeting and stick my finger into where I removed rotten poo poo.... :allears:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 23, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Crunchy Black posted:

who gives a poo poo about the money or the fact that they are your parents. Fix your house. Yesterday. What the gently caress.

Some landlords get lovely about people asking for repairs, even if it's the kind of thing that will save them money in the long run. This can lead to lovely stuff like having to find a new apartment when they don't want to renew your lease (because they just put a bunch of money in and now want a more lucrative tennant) or in this case family drama I guess.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Like I said, I know it needs fixed.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Some landlords get lovely about people asking for repairs, even if it's the kind of thing that will save them money in the long run. This can lead to lovely stuff like having to find a new apartment when they don't want to renew your lease (because they just put a bunch of money in and now want a more lucrative tennant) or in this case family drama I guess.

Not so much family drama as their savings have dwindled dramatically in the last 18 months:
- August of last year, our AC went up and they replaced it. That was like $6k or $7k down the drain.
- November of last year, our Traverse poo poo the bed and our credit was poo poo, so my parents bought us a 2019 Caravan cash ($21k) and we pay them (interest free) instead of a car loan.
- Early this year, my mom's Buick went up, so they bought a 2020 Kia Soul (another $20-odd-k) cash.
- Our Moenstone sink cracked a while ago and we finally got around to asking for a new one when the sprayer on the faucet started pissing all over the cabinet underneath, so we figured might as well kill two birds with one stone. That was another $600-$700 down the drain.

Now, the reason this stuff has been piling up is A) I was out of work for a while because my wife was having a difficult pregnancy and I was on LOA from work, so no income. They basically gave us a deferment on approximately $20k in rent, so during the time we weren't paying, we didn't want to bother them. B) Our garage is in the process of de-shittifying; I have some horrible habits (that I am working on) of piling things up and not taking boxes and cardboard out for recycling when I should.

Apart from illness, we are on track to unfuck the garage. The roof is item #1 on the list; we've lived without kitchen drawers for a while, the dishwasher is still functional, and the oven is still (minimally) functional.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The roof should be item #0 on the list. Any roof leak is a full blown emergency that will continue to create more and more very expensive damage.

You seem to know it "needs fixed" but don't seem to grasp the fact that delaying this has turned a simple and cheap repair into multiple thousands of dollars and counting.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

D34THROW posted:

Not so much family drama as their savings have dwindled dramatically in the last 18 months:
Well then the last thing they need is to have to pay for even more water damage!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
If someone chooses to be a landlord, they should be aware that it's not just a free ride, it takes investment and care.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

PurpleXVI posted:

If someone chooses to be a landlord, they should be aware that it's not just a free ride, it takes investment and care.

I will keep it really simple, if you want the house to keep its value as a house you have to fix the roof.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"The house I live in is literally melting but if I tell my parents about it I might not get new drawers"

I was really behind and decided to to skip ahead, are there any other posts of this quality in the past year or so?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

It seems a lot like you are trying to convince yourself this is no big deal since it's not impairing your day to day. As other posters have mentioned, you are saving a small amount of money today to pay a huge amount of money at some point in the future that cannot be predicted.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If I was a landlord, and had a tenant not immediately report a roof leak as soon as they noticed it and could get in touch with me, that tenant would be searching for new accommodations as soon as I could legally compel them to do so.

Roof leaks are the one thing in home ownership you do not gently caress around with. It gets fixed right the hell now, if not sooner.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

D34THROW posted:

do you like black mold cause this is how you get black mold

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The fact that someone pulled shingles from an intact section of roof to use them somewhere else for cosmetic reasons is already the dumbest thing I have heard roof wise.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t fix the leaky roof because it will provide ongoing content to this thread, but do join respirator crew because we don’t want the mould spores to kill you.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Blistex posted:

The fact that someone pulled shingles from an intact section of roof to use them somewhere else for cosmetic reasons is already the dumbest thing I have heard roof wise.

It's an accepted practice. If done by a competent roofer.

Replacing shingles is not difficult once you've done it once. Take care, nail it down where the nails should go, and you're good.

Problem is old roofing systems with brittle shingles that can't be bent back far enough to slip in & nail a replacement. Then, it gets interesting.

I got a 20-year roof installed in 1985 to last until the end of 2019.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Got another Zillow doozy

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5125-Mystic-Trl-Dallas-TX-75241/26776730_zpid/

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sex parties definitely happened at this house.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Sup dogg, I herd u liek huge generic houses so we built three more onto ur house so u can, uh, decorate

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Zil posted:

Sex parties definitely happened at this house.

Absolutely. I'd gently caress a stranger there.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PainterofCrap posted:

It's an accepted practice. If done by a competent roofer.

Replacing shingles is not difficult once you've done it once. Take care, nail it down where the nails should go, and you're good.

Replacing shingles is an acceptable practice.

Removing shingles that do not need to be replaced to repurpose them somewhere else is stupid. If you're still going ahead with the idea, then you need to tar above and below the area, and each shingle you move as the tar strips have been compromised and (unless they are relatively new) will not re-adhere properly. Since I gave up teaching two years ago, roofing has been my bread and butter, and the cardinal rule is that you don't "break the seal".

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
:nws:

https://twitter.com/worstpenpal/status/1441103925105475585?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wow, this guy really liked indoor hanging plants. check out all the anchor hooks on the ceiling