Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm sure this isn't new to most people itt, but always worth another watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS39vMhag-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

As bad as it was, it contains "throw pudding at Lenny? but he's a war hero!" which is exactly one more laugh than many episodes had.

It also has Lisa helpfully reading out the Pranksgiving joke and then reacting to it so that the audience doesn't miss out on that killer gag.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

Lisa's babysitting was the first episode I thought "this was bad?" to myself and I'm always surprised it was a season 8. That said it still had some good bits

It's probably on the low end of the gimmicky episodes that were starting to become more noticeable in season 8. For all the good and memorable bits and quotes the episode had, my god, they made Bart just unreasonably insufferable in that episode.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

You'll never guess who I saw watching Rick & Morty in a labyrinth under their house. They must be one of "those" fans

Catching up on the thread and I really appreciated this post

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I watched Undercover Burns ln, which was prolly optimal cuz it a.) Didnt really feature corny contemporary references (yeah undercover boss but that's just a general premise) or, seemingly, loud guest stars, and b.) It wasnt adding backstory or an exploration of some character like the comic book guy, we know Burns well enough already
It wasn't good per se, but when put alongside what passes for "adult animation" these days it was okay. Like, I'm sure as good as whatever American Dad or Family Guy is like these days. Sure i fell asleep before it ended but it got a half chuckle out of me from Carl listening in on Burns talking to himself as two people and commenting on how polite it all was
Of course i specifically picked out an episode from the new season out of morbid curiousity but picked the one that seemed like it would be least terrible. Prolly not gonna try any others.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh my god tho, hearing "Marge" was hilarious and heartbreaking

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Oh my god tho, hearing "Marge" was hilarious and heartbreaking

She reminds me of my Nana's dying death rattle

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Failed Imagineer posted:

She reminds me of my Nana's dying death rattle

It's so bad, even aside from all the other problems she objectively needs to retire and be recast. Except any threat to the core cast's meal tickets would likely cause Shearer to walk so the producers probably don't want to risk dealing with it and just keep having a character in her mid-30s sound like she's dying.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

When was Marge canonically born now, 1982?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Phlegmish posted:

When was Marge canonically born now, 1982?

Sounds about right, I started off younger than Lisa and now I'm the same age as Homer, feels complicated man

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Marge's canonical age is 36 apparently which means she was born in 1985.

Marge being a first time mum in her mid twenties is one of the things in the show that's increasingly anachronistic. It was completely normal in the late 80s / early 90s but I'm now Marge's age and all my peers were in their early 30s when they became parents for the first time.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 22, 2021

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
it's not anachronistic. bart wasn't planned and there's a whole episode about that

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
good short piece on the Simpsons growing out of touch here:

https://www.thegamer.com/the-simpsons-the-american-dream-family/

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
When Marge finally officially gets younger than me in like 10 years ill finally know its time to kill myself :krust:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Riptor posted:

it's not anachronistic. bart wasn't planned and there's a whole episode about that

That's a great ep but it always kinda confused me how Bart seemed to be conceived when Homer & Marge were in their mid-20s. Had they just been dating for seven years and not much was happening? The continuity makes more sense if they had gotten married right out of high school.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That's a great ep but it always kinda confused me how Bart seemed to be conceived when Homer & Marge were in their mid-20s. Had they just been dating for seven years and not much was happening? The continuity makes more sense if they had gotten married right out of high school.

someone finally noticing that is what led to the Sadgasm episode

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Punkin Spunkin posted:

When Marge finally officially gets younger than me in like 10 years ill finally know its time to kill myself :krust:

It's not that bad, Homer and Marge may be canonically in their 30s but they kinda act like people in their mid-40s (or maybe how mid-30s people acted back in the 70s/80s)

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah the age thing only hit me on a recent watching of classic Simpsons where Homer states his age and I realized I always subconsciously assumed they had Bart unplanned very soon after high school. Other things that recent rewatches have made me realize how much of an ignorant pushover Marge is in the early seasons, as I think it was in later seasons they slowly increased her inherent talent and intelligence as Homer gets dumber.

Anyway, just makes me wonder what the hell was she doing for all those years before the kids.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Take the writer's room with you

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Hasn't it been a joke a few times that someone's said the only reason Marge and Homer are together is *because* he knocked her up?

Bart's said it as a punch line at least once. Patty and Selma I'm sure have also said it. And Homer definitely has said it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I seem to remember a scene with a young Dr. Hibbert confirming Marge's pregnancy and Homer d'ohing, yeah.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When was the first flashback to Homer and Marge as a young couple?

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 22, 2021

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FreudianSlippers posted:

When was the first flashback to Homer and Marge as a young couple?

The Way We Was I think? Second season, Jon Lovitz guest stars, Bart and Lisa would canonically be older today than Marge and Homer were when that episode aired.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I know it’s (classic season) canon that Homer and Marge met in high school and got engaged when Marge got pregnant with Bart, but is there anything that says they also got married right out of high school? I can’t remember, but if Homer and Marge are mid 30’s then they could have dated a while before getting married.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I know it’s (classic season) canon that Homer and Marge met in high school and got engaged when Marge got pregnant with Bart, but is there anything that says they also got married right out of high school? I can’t remember, but if Homer and Marge are mid 30’s then they could have dated a while before getting married.

They're 24 at the beginning of I Married Marge. If you miss that it might be easy to assume that they were just out of high school since Homer is working at a mini-golf course, Marge seemingly has no job and is not going to college, and both are living with their parents.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Why even try to keep track of the canon, the current writers sure don't.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Having a kid at 24 after dating for 6+ years in 1980 is like having a kid at 37 after dating for 10 years is today.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Having a kid at 24 after dating for 6+ years in 1980 is like having a kid at 37 after dating for 10 years is today.
#goals

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also worth remembering that Groening based Homer and Marge initially on his own parents, who had him in 1954

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Empty Sandwich posted:

good short piece on the Simpsons growing out of touch here:

https://www.thegamer.com/the-simpsons-the-american-dream-family/

Frank Grimes had a poke at the Simpsons' inexplicable wealth in 1997.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

Frank Grimes had a poke at the Simpsons' inexplicable wealth in 1997.

I think there’s definitely something in the idea that you can fall out of love with a show and maybe its ideology too as you yourself become Frank Grimes.

You can interpret his episode as actually being about that and an acknowledgment that the show isn’t going to last for much longer, except, well, here we are

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

J-Spot posted:

They're 24 at the beginning of I Married Marge. If you miss that it might be easy to assume that they were just out of high school since Homer is working at a mini-golf course, Marge seemingly has no job and is not going to college, and both are living with their parents.

Young Marge's canon job in the early seasons was drive-in roller skate waitress.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Simpsons world is where you go bowling or to the dog track for a fun time, and the kids watch a 50s clown variety show once they grow out of the Happy Little Elves

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Data Graham posted:

Simpsons world is where you go bowling or to the dog track for a fun time, and the kids watch a 50s clown variety show once they grow out of the Happy Little Elves

yeah, the clown thing was dying even as the Simpsons was starting up. there was a local clown show here until the... early 90s? I don't remember it being a regular thing even then. and we didn't watch it, because it was excruciatingly bad.

I just looked up Bozo, which I watched on cable as a little kid, and it looks as though the Chicago program held on until 2001 :psyduck:

just gauging from the Wikipedia Bozo article, the Golden Age of TV Clowns was maybe mid 50s to mid 70s.

as a side note, Bozo was a franchise.

I have learned much today.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Empty Sandwich posted:

yeah, the clown thing was dying even as the Simpsons was starting up. there was a local clown show here until the... early 90s? I don't remember it being a regular thing even then. and we didn't watch it, because it was excruciatingly bad.

I just looked up Bozo, which I watched on cable as a little kid, and it looks as though the Chicago program held on until 2001 :psyduck:

just gauging from the Wikipedia Bozo article, the Golden Age of TV Clowns was maybe mid 50s to mid 70s.

as a side note, Bozo was a franchise.

I have learned much today.

You gotta check out this video of Bozo dubbed over.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Detective No. 27 posted:

You gotta check out this video of Bozo dubbed over.

what is this reggie

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

pretty soft girl posted:

what is this reggie

You oughta watch I Think You Should Leave.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

You oughta watch I Think You Should Leave.

It got me to watch Detroiters. Also delightful.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They've touched on the gap years between high school and Bart before. Lisa actually does the math in "That 90's Show" which I think is the first time the show acknowledges it. There was an episode recently that covered this time where Homer and Marge are unmarried living in the hipster part of downtown Springfield, but I can't find it atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm sure this has been posted here (or in the good thread) before, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BkQptKkj4E