Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Coldrice posted:

They idea of trying to make the game a legit organization backed project is scary AF to be honest ha ha

it's okay it doesn't have to be competent and there will be zero consequences for failure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

What reason is there for anyone to believe that the best case scenario with the current vaccines available is anything other than a booster shot every 4-6 months? Like why would Israel - who from what I can gather seem to at least be making the right moves where vaccines are concerned if nothing else - seem to think that somehow a third dose won't have the same problems the second had?
Like the only way this should change is if we miraculously get a new vaccine that isn't at all leaky, or if - when - the variant emerges that renders the current batch of vaccines utterly pointless.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Delta-Wye posted:

i watched the advisory panel and it was bizarre, a lot of the members just didn't seem to care? like this was some minor thing they showed up for performatorily without preparation, the only guy who seemed to have looked into it ahead of time was boosted, actively working to boost his family, and voted yes for boosts4a. everyone else was just sorta "well, gee, idk, maybe we should look into this? or not???" which was unsettling, as it seems pretty important to me. i figured, at a minimum, pfizer would have buttered up or something but nope

Pfizer should have 3 months of post-third dose data within the next few weeks, so all I can think of is Biden deliberately said "everyone put down your pencils and turn in your homework" early because he knew they wouldn't have enough data yet to justify boosters

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Delta-Wye posted:

i watched the advisory panel and it was bizarre, a lot of the members just didn't seem to care? like this was some minor thing they showed up for performatorily without preparation, the only guy who seemed to have looked into it ahead of time was boosted, actively working to boost his family, and voted yes for boosts4a. everyone else was just sorta "well, gee, idk, maybe we should look into this? or not???" which was unsettling, as it seems pretty important to me. i figured, at a minimum, pfizer would have buttered up or something but nope

yeah when most of them just wanted to bike shed about stuff like "does this mean boosters every six months?? what does that mean??" or "what is the plan for states to roll this out? how will it work??" I knew it was all over

YOU MORONS, your job is to LOOK AT THE SCIENCE OF BOOSTERS AND APPROVE THEM OR NOT. YOU ARE NOT LOOKING AT THE PANDEMIC RESPONSE AS A WHOLE!! YOU LOOK AT THE DATA FROM PFIZER, ISRAEL, AND OTHERS AND YOU DECIDE... THAT'S IT!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

McNugget Buddy posted:

Chokin' in the Boys Room

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

i don't know what's going to be a bigger catastrophe in the history books we write about covid in america. delaying child vaccine trials until a full YEAR into the pandemic, or delaying booster doses a full six month after their proven waning. just unbelievable levels of failure at all levels in the management of the pandemic response

It's really dumb given how Israel had already did the real world homework with a mass roll-out of Pfizer in 2021.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

From the NYTimes article:

quote:

"One key difference between Israel and the United States may explain why the two countries have had different experiences with the vaccine: The countries define severe illness differently.

In Israel, anyone with an accelerated respiratory rate and an oxygen level of below 94 percent is severely ill. By contrast, the C.D.C. reserves that category for people who are sick enough to be hospitalized, said Dr. Sara Oliver, a C.D.C. scientist who presented the American data."

I wonder how they define "sick enough to be hospitalized" in the U.S.? You see stories all the time of people sent packing with BO in the high 80s. If you die in the waiting room because the ICU is full and the staff is too overtaxed to admit you, does that not qualify as "sick enough to be hospitalized?"

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

McNugget Buddy posted:

Chokin' in the Boys Room

rainbow lipstick scare but it's the back of masks

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What reason is there for anyone to believe that the best case scenario with the current vaccines available is anything other than a booster shot every 4-6 months? Like why would Israel - who from what I can gather seem to at least be making the right moves where vaccines are concerned if nothing else - seem to think that somehow a third dose won't have the same problems the second had?
Like the only way this should change is if we miraculously get a new vaccine that isn't at all leaky, or if - when - the variant emerges that renders the current batch of vaccines utterly pointless.

Titers after the third dose for Pfizer and Moderna were through the roof compared to the first and second doses, and Pfizer's titers were still going up at the end of the first month

So yeah, worst case scenario - we have to get a booster every few months (or whenever antibodies wane)

Best case scenario - antibodies stay elevated for multiple years

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

this is the point in the disaster where we just need to flood the loving reactors with sea water and consider them a total loss. so far we have spent far too long tap dancing around, ok if we just do this one little thing then magically our old life is back and everything is fixed! wow science is awesome!! but now it's absolutely clear with delta and whatever even worse variants might come after it that there is no going back to the old normal. not until total elimination is achieved, and it will probably take more NPIs than just the vaccines and boosters. it's time to just call it like it is and start considering every option--flood the loving reactors and let 'em burn, we're never using them again. do whatever we can to save and reduce harm

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Imagine being upset at the idea of being immune to covid but you have to get an injection every 5 months.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Chad Sexington posted:

From the NYTimes article:

I wonder how they define "sick enough to be hospitalized" in the U.S.? You see stories all the time of people sent packing with BO in the high 80s. If you die in the waiting room because the ICU is full and the staff is too overtaxed to admit you, does that qualify not qualify as "sick enough to be hospitalized?"

pretty sure "people who die of covid" get tossed into the more severe than severely ill bucket in the continuum of outcomes

but dumber things have happened

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

McNugget Buddy posted:

Chokin' in the Boys Room

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

loving scum

:d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fosborb posted:

pretty sure "people who die of covid" get tossed into the more severe than severely ill bucket in the continuum of outcomes

but dumber things have happened

Dying us the least severe disease of all. No fever. As much blood oxygen as you can use, teeth stop decaying... Yep!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rah! posted:

loving scum

:d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a::d2a:

Lmao at their complete lack of urgency when 2000+ people are dying each day in the USA.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Cincinnati mother of 8 dies after contracting COVID-19

quote:

CINCINNATI —
A Cincinnati mother of eight has died after contracting COVID-19.

Amber Feltner, 37, died Tuesday, just 10 days after being taken to the hospital with low oxygen levels. She was not vaccinated.

Feltner was on a ventilator for more than a week, each day a struggle for her husband.

"I can't even talk to her or see her or anything," said Travis Feltner, Amber Feltner's husband of almost 19 years, told us last week.

On Wednesday, his grief was palpable. He said he lost his best friend and does not want anyone else to suffer the way he is. He’s now urging people to wear masks and get vaccinated.

Travis Feltner sat down with WLWT's Jatara McGee, who will have more on this story Wednesday evening.

Travis Feltner's focus the last few days has been split between his wife's health and making sure his kids are doing OK. The couple's kids range from 20 years old to twin 3-year-olds.

"I've told the kids that mom is in the hospital. She's getting treated by the doctors, and the doctors and nurses are taking care of her. They seem to understand that the doctors are trying to help," he said.

Travis Feltner said they wear masks in public, but his wife was not vaccinated. He said she had a fear of vaccines after he had a bad reaction to the flu shot several years ago.

So far, one of the kids has tested positive for COVID-19 but is doing well. Travis Feltner is not sure who was infected first or where the family caught COVID-19.

"It could have been one of the kids brought it home from school, could have picked it up from going to the grocery store," he said.

A fundraiser has been set up to help pay for her medical expenses.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You can't have US COV19 death with the line about GoFundMe being set up for medical and funeral expenses.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

A few months? Well, it's a good thing there aren't any holidays that have mass get togethers happening in the next few months. That would be real bad!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

mod sassinator posted:

not until total elimination is achieved, and it will probably take more NPIs than just the vaccines and boosters.

'Probably'
No. It will. Unless a vaccine that is 100% efficacious at preventing symptomatic infection - including Long COVID - is developed and made freely available - including to children - there will be no bringing COVID to heel without the use of NPIs. Period, full stop.
China managed it with a crappy vaccine because they understand the simple and obvious fact that when your vaccine is essentially a preemptive therapeutic, then vaccination becomes the last line of defense in your plan, not the first and only. In contrast, due to capital, nearly all Western nations save New Zealand have chosen to place all their faith in vaccination as not merely *a* weapon in the fight against COVID-19, but the one and only weapon. Hence why the the CDC and Fauci have been messaging as they have, and why they are so hellbent on denying boosters; America has gone all-in on a gaslighting campaign to convince people that vaccines alone can and will save us in order to manufacture consent against the complete lack of meaningful NPIs. In order for this campaign to work, they must sell the lie that the vaccines alone are sufficient, which translates into presenting the vaccines as nearly perfect. The obvious necessity of a third dose is a troublesome fact that casts doubt upon this narrative, hence the problem. The Administration is between a rock and a hard place; boosters are necessary to preserve what little security the vaccines provide, but to acknowledge this fact is to undermine the false narrative they have spent the last two years weaving.

But make no mistake, whatever you believe; there can be no control - let alone elimination - of COVID-19 without NPIs. Vaccines are a powerful tool, but ultimately supplementary to NPIs.
Vaccines can and should be a part of any strategy employed against COVID-19, but only a madman or a villain would make them the primary, let alone sole, component of such a strategy.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

etalian posted:

Lmao at their complete lack of urgency when 2000+ people are dying each day in the USA.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Vaccines can and should be a part of any strategy employed against COVID-19, but only a madman or a villain would make them the primary, let alone sole, component of such a strategy.

https://twitter.com/LitoBaz/status/1440112762303262720

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fosborb posted:

it's okay it doesn't have to be competent and there will be zero consequences for failure

lol yeah

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

right now its mostly people who had early access that need boosted, in a few months we will be >6mo from general availability and it will be very obvious who needs boosted (everyone)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

missed opportunity to have the skeleton hold its clearly chopped off skull

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!
lickin my lips like a cartoon wolf
https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1440786467865776134?s=19

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

no hurry. not like there's anything urgent going on. cases are going to simply decline to zero over the next few months anyway without any kind of intervention or action so what's the problem?

CDC Meeting Room:

:smith: well boys should we forge on into the night to hammer this poo poo out, i hear we're in a pandemic?

:v: i have a thing tonight, i'm kinda busy
:pray: bible study in 2 hours, sorry I can't stay
:cheers: happy hour ain't gonna drink itself
:smuggo: I gotta cut my lawn before sundown

:smith: ah ok well nothing that we can do for now then, we'll just backburner this till everyone's schedules line up again, I'll send a link later to one of those schedule websites so we can hammer out when is best

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

I'm not here to shame you for being horny for Loomer but maybe these fantasies of nursing her back to health from covid are a little much

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

missed opportunity to have the skeleton hold its clearly chopped off skull

the skeleton is the one doing the chopping

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

tangy yet delightful posted:

CDC Meeting Room:

:smith: well boys should we forge on into the night to hammer this poo poo out, i hear we're in a pandemic?

:v: i have a thing tonight, i'm kinda busy
:pray: bible study in 2 hours, sorry I can't stay
:cheers: happy hour ain't gonna drink itself
:smuggo: I gotta cut my lawn before sundown

:smith: ah ok well nothing that we can do for now then, we'll just backburner this till everyone's schedules line up again, I'll send a link later to one of those schedule websites so we can hammer out when is best

More like:

:v: I'm a bit ill from getting my booster last night
:pray: booster appointment in 2 hours
:cheers: That booster isn't going to inject itself!
:smuggo: I gotta boost my titers before sundown

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

poll plane variant posted:

I'm not here to shame you for being horny for Loomer but maybe these fantasies of nursing her back to health from covid are a little much

have u seen her ashkenazi mega titers though?? :vince:

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Salt Fish posted:

Imagine being upset at the idea of being immune to covid but you have to get an injection every 5 months.

The logistics of doing this for everyone in the country (and also me having to give the loving shots) is terrifying so please no. The most likely scenario I see is once we get third doses out and if the Moderna data about their combo flu/delta/RSV mRNA vaccine is good we'll just move to giving combo flu/COVID/etc. shots yearly in the fall.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

More like:

:v: I'm a bit ill from getting my booster last night
:pray: booster appointment in 2 hours
:cheers: That booster isn't going to inject itself!
:smuggo: I gotta boost my titers before sundown

haha goddamnit you're right

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Ontario just mandated proof of vaccination to eat indoors

Enjoyed a lovely afternoon pint while watching people being turned away, one of which was forced to eat on the patio in the rain after complaining about 'some punk 18 year old at mcdonalds asking for my papers!!!'

thanked the waitress and wished her luck dealing with the evening rush

Apr 7, 2003

Durf posted:

Ontario just mandated proof of vaccination to eat indoors

Enjoyed a lovely afternoon pint while watching people being turned away, one of which was forced to eat on the patio in the rain after complaining about 'some punk 18 year old at mcdonalds asking for my papers!!!'

thanked the waitress and wished her luck dealing with the evening rush

I know I've posted this over and over, but it's incredible to me that the god-given right to eat out is what turned the anglosphere into the joker. just brain breaking poo poo.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
The mask must go on

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
lmao i haven't sat inside or even outside a restaurant in 20 months and i don't miss it one bit. i read a story of people complaining about how apparently now all menus are QR codes you have to scan and it was just an incredulous, what? really? feeling. if i ever do go back to a restaurant it's going to feel like encino man.. just in awe at these wonders of dining establishments

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Next up for the big-brained Dems:

"We have all these kids who have been orphaned that we need to house, and our small business tyrants are screaming about having to pay more than minimum wage. Maybe we could kill two birds with one stone. Create houses for orphans who work? But what do we call them?"

Apr 7, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

lmao i haven't sat inside or even outside a restaurant in 20 months and i don't miss it one bit. i read a story of people complaining about how apparently now all menus are QR codes you have to scan and it was just an incredulous, what? really? feeling. if i ever do go back to a restaurant it's going to feel like encino man.. just in awe at these wonders of dining establishments

I've dropped 25 lbs since March 2020 and I'm happier for it. I will probably never go back to the old lifestyle I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RedneckwithGuns posted:

The logistics of doing this for everyone in the country (and also me having to give the loving shots) is terrifying so please no. The most likely scenario I see is once we get third doses out and if the Moderna data about their combo flu/delta/RSV mRNA vaccine is good we'll just move to giving combo flu/COVID/etc. shots yearly in the fall.

Pfizer will be running negative ads against Moderna like Pepsi throwing sick burns at Coke

"You got your COVID vaccine and need another one, but you never get the flu, right? Don't let other people tell you what you need - get Comimaty!"

and then

"HEY DUDES, THAT OTHER GUY'S VACCINE ONLY HAS PROTECTION AGAINST COVID. MAJOR BUMMER! SPIKEVAX PROTECTS AGAINST COVID, FLU AND RSV, LEAVING ITS COMPETITION IN THE DUST. SPIKEVAX BITCH!"