Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Moon Slayer posted:

You're going to have a bad time, then. All of these are more anime than Star Wars.

They're all good, though, even the ones that are just okay.

I had a really rough time because of this and actually dozed off at one point. Definitely not for me, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TO-B1 was ehh. I like the Mega Man inspiration though.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm Interested the mechanics of it. Like, is the blade always on that it needs to be encased in something?

I'd assume so, yeah. At least in that AU.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not gonna lie, I would probably watch an entire show about the Tatooine Rhapsody gang.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm Interested the mechanics of it. Like, is the blade always on that it needs to be encased in something?

it could be more like a battery pack or something. The EU depictions of lightsaber power cords had them coming out of the bottom of the hilt, but it would also make sense if you had to plug in the emitter to power it up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 23, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Larryb posted:

Didn’t we once see a black bladed lightsaber in a Clone Wars episode as well (the one where Obi-Wan went to Mandalore)?

This is in fact the literal same object that Moff Gideon had.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Larryb posted:

Didn’t we once see a black bladed lightsaber in a Clone Wars episode as well (the one where Obi-Wan went to Mandalore)?

I'm now sure your account is a bit given the previous posts regarding the TV shows. It's the same blade in Clone Wars as it is in Rebels as it is in The Mandalorian; the Darksaber

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also Tatooine Rhapsody is pretty alright so far.

E: Yeah, that's a short that really felt like it could do more, but I didn't hate it.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 23, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

I'm now sure your account is a bit given the previous posts regarding the TV shows. It's the same blade in Clone Wars as it is in Rebels as it is in The Mandalorian; the Darksaber

No, I was just skimming the thread and didn’t see it had been posted before (also as I’ve admitted before, I’m still in process of watching Clone Wars and Rebels and haven’t seen The Mandalorian at all).

I’m sorry I don’t have an encyclopedic knowledge of this franchise like some of you do (I don’t give a poo poo about the EU and the only things I’ve seen are the movies, a few books I read as a kid, and my current watchthrough of the Filoni cartoons), nevermind then.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 23, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Also Tatooine Rhapsody is pretty alright so far.

E: Yeah, that's a short that really felt like it could do more, but I didn't hate it.

I didn't hate it but it is just total wasted potential.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I didn't hate it but it is just total wasted potential.

I feel like it had potential but we just weren’t told a lot about the characters (like I said, you could possibly make a decent series out of this though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 23, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Larryb posted:

I feel like it had potential but we just weren’t told a lot about the characters (like why a Jedi padawan would just suddenly abandon the Order to join a band).

Did you skip over the first 15 seconds or

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I have to run out but I just finished, I think my ranking is

The duel
The village bride, just for the finale
Toby
Lop and Ocho
Akakiri
The elder
The twins
Tatooine rhapsody

Anyways the thing I really needed to get off my chest immediately is that I found it hilarious that the duel, as the legit Kurosawa send up, was one of the few that did not have lightsabers shown as actual samurai swords, even though it is arguably the one that needed it the most, like they didn't know they could do that

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Did you skip over the first 15 seconds or

I saw the kid under attack, he fell down and was found by the slug guy and then we cut ahead to them in a band. But I guess his master was killed or something so nevermind.

Point still stands though, it probably could have been better if we’d gotten more time to get to know the characters.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It was Order 66

Also like it was 15 minutes long they can’t put five backstories in it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

It was Order 66

Also like it was 15 minutes long they can’t put five backstories in it

Most of the shorts vary in length but fair. Like I said, flesh the characters out a bit and you could potentially get a decent series out of these guys though.

Somehow I didn’t catch that the beginning took place during Order 66 so that makes more sense, yeah (I’m a little slow sometimes sorry).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 23, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m just kinda skipping around and I’ll probably stretch this out over a couple nights, but I’m not really feeling this series. I will admit that I’m also not a big anime guy though, and what anime I do like I’m very picky about, so ymmv.

- The Duel was great, loved the way it looked.
- The Elder could have been fine, but the voice acting from Harbour and the padawan was just atrocious and seriously dragged it down.
- Akakiri started strong but completely fizzled out at the end.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

What smells like Blue?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m just kinda skipping around and I’ll probably stretch this out over a couple nights, but I’m not really feeling this series. I will admit that I’m also not a big anime guy though, and what anime I do like I’m very picky about, so ymmv.

- The Duel was great, loved the way it looked.
- The Elder could have been fine, but the voice acting from Harbour and the padawan was just atrocious and seriously dragged it down.
- Akakiri started strong but completely fizzled out at the end.

You’re watching it dubbed in English. That’s your mistake. The Elder ended up being one of my favorites and the voice actors were all basically perfect.

My ranking:

Top Tier:
The Ninth Jedi
The Village Bride
The Duel
The Elder
Lop and Ocho

Good Tier:
T0-B1
The Twins

Meh Tier:
Akakiri
Tatooine Rhapsody

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ranking of shorts

1. The Duel - absolute showstopper, already pre-ordered the novel
2. Tatooine Rhapsody- the one short that didn't spend 90% of the runtime slobbering over the jedi or lightsabers or kyber crystals
3. The Ninth Jedi - the best in terms of series potential, I'm happy they finally got it over with and have the saber literally just match your morality color-wise
4. T0-B1 - just delightful, when he got the Jedi symbol in his eye I just about died
5. The Twins - probably the most inconsistent visually, there were points where I was blown away and others where I was amazed at how bad it looked
6. Akakiri - finally, a short with a dark ending. BIG Hidden Fortress vibes with the two guides as well
7. The Elder - the dialogue was so lifeless in this, but the fights looked good on my OLED!
8. Lop & Ochō - literally went "for gently caress's sake" when Lop's dad led her into the family shrine to give her the family saber arrrrrghhh
9. The Village Bride - basically The Duel but not as good and more derivative, unfortunately

I like the anthology as a whole, but why were these all (well, mostly) so Jedi-centric? Gimme a bounty hunter short, or a podracer short!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cross-Section posted:

I like the anthology as a whole, but why were these all (well, mostly) so Jedi-centric? Gimme a bounty hunter short, or a podracer short!

Lightsabers are way too cool for any animation studio to pass up.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Lightsabers are way too cool for any animation studio to pass up.

I mean, yeah... :allears:

In any case, I hope the next round of these they do (if they do them) are a bit more varied that way.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Jedi are the coolest and the most easily “anime” aspect of Star Wars since they’re essentially space samurai wizards. I wouldn’t turn down a bounty hunter or podracer short, but it’s not what we got.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah the way it worked is Lucasfilm went to these studios and said "what kind of Star Wars story do you want to tell?" and pretty much every one said "what if samurai but Jedi?"

Cross-Section posted:

8. Lop & Ochō - literally went "for gently caress's sake" when Lop's dad led her into the family shrine to give her the family saber arrrrrghhh

Sorry you're dead inside, I guess, that part had me tearing up a little.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nanigans posted:

You’re watching it dubbed in English. That’s your mistake. The Elder ended up being one of my favorites and the voice actors were all basically perfect.

I’m well aware that Dubs vs Subs is a huge thing in anime circles, but it’s not as if Disney in tyool 2021 wasn’t capable of hiring actual good English-language voice actors who’ve been doing anime for decades. You don’t have to hire David loving Harbour to sleepwalk through a short and ruin the entire thing because of it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, it was touching, I was just frustrated that it had suddenly become yet another Jedi idolatry bit (though I dug the family dynamic approach they took with it)

The end fight was a bit weird though, between one of Dad's underlings just... keeling over at the top, plus Lop's big "saving my sister" power moment being a fatal cross-swipe that probably would have killed Ocho otherwise; I don't really get how she survived that, really

edit: any tatooine rhapsody issues are entirely nullified by that one shot of the cantina band looking pensive over the holo of Star Waver's set

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 23, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would kill for a podracing short by Takeshi Koike (Redline)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cross-Section posted:

Because it's the part of Star Wars that's most samurai adjacent.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m well aware that Dubs vs Subs is a huge thing in anime circles, but it’s not as if Disney in tyool 2021 wasn’t capable of hiring actual good English-language voice actors who’ve been doing anime for decades. You don’t have to hire David loving Harbour to sleepwalk through a short and ruin the entire thing because of it.

Yeah that dudes voice is just really droning, if it wasn't for the fight with the cool finisher The Elder would have been the worst one for me.

Cross-Section posted:

The end fight was a bit weird though, between one of Dad's underlings just... keeling over at the top, plus Lop's big "saving my sister" power moment being a fatal cross-swipe that probably would have killed Ocho otherwise; I don't really get how she survived that, really

That part made laugh tbh Like I figure the the slash wasn't deep enough to be fatal, but she knocked her off a really tall building too. Get your poo poo together Lop.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

That part made laugh tbh Like I figure the the slash wasn't deep enough to be fatal, but she knocked her off a really tall building too. Get your poo poo together Lop.

The bit that gets me is that fatal or non-fatal, Ocho completely no-sells it as the ship comes up and flies away, made me think she had a saber-proof vest or some poo poo

Anyway, I'm nitpicking at this point

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Tattooine Rhapsody was great, I don't know why people find it so lacking anyway. I mean sure I'd like a longer treatment of it, but it's hard to get more self-contained and self-explanatory than music loving dude takes in people with nowhere to go to, puts the band of his dreams together, then they rescue him when his mob family tries to execute him for desertion. It was accessible, upbeat, and about people wanting to find fame and adventure in a big galaxy.

Also the :whitewater: of

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It insists on itself, Lois.

I liked most of the chibi designs outside of the main Jedi dude, and the story was fine, but coming as someone who actually likes J-Rock/J-Pop, the songs were kinda bad and that’s pretty inexcusable in a short called “Tatooine Rhapsody.” I didn’t hate it but it was my least favorite.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Stunt casting usually sucks. I don’t really get the decision here. Who would be on the fence about watching a star wars but now that David Harbor and Allison Brie are involved, well sign me the hell up!

Just use professional voice actors, Disney.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I loved the voice acting in The Elder. More NPR Jedi, please.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched The Twins.

Are we sure that Studio Trigger isn't just taking the piss here? I wouldn't put it past them to go "let's take this opportunity to make exactly what people would expect when they hear the words Star Wars Anime, and then make it even more over the top bugfuck nonsense." Neil Patrick Harris is trying to sound like Steve Staley and Alison Brie is just screaming the whole time, half the dialogue is exposition and the other half is loud declarations, the animation flip flops between early 2000s flash cartoons and epileptic seizure episodes, the droid is the only one that needs a helmet in space. The whole thing has to be a joke.

I'd chalk it up as a misfire if I didn't think they made it stupid on purpose. I think I liked it more than Tatooine Rhapsody. That felt like a missed chance while this gave me the same "what the gently caress is this screw it I'm turning my brain off and watching a trainwreck" mindset I felt watching The Rise of Skywalker.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 23, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Arc Hammer posted:

I watched The Twins.

Are we sure that Studio Trigger isn't just taking the piss here? I wouldn't put it past them to go "let's take this opportunity to make exactly what people would expect when they hear the words Star Wars Anime, and then make it even more over the top bugfuck nonsense on purpose." Neil Patrick Harris is trying to sound like Steve Staley and Alison Brie is just screaming the whole time, half the dialogue is exposition and the other half is loud declarations, the animation flip flops between early 2000s flash cartoons and epileptic seizure episodes, the droid is the only one that needs a helmet in space. The whole thing has to be a joke.

I'd chalk it up as a misfire if I didn't think they made it stupid on purpose.

I mean, that's just Studio Trigger in general.

The Twins was probably like visually my favorite of the bunch, like the style and flow and shot composition was so loving good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dexo posted:

I mean, that's just Studio Trigger in general.

The Twins was probably like visually my favorite of the bunch, like the style and flow and shot composition was so loving good.

That's basically their thing. They seem to revel in making anime that exemplify the hyperbolic exaggerated to the nth degree notions people have about anime.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Arc Hammer posted:

That's basically their thing. They seem to revel in making anime that exemplify the hyperbolic exaggerated to the nth degree notions people have about anime.

I give it to the Twins for giving me the anime version of the Holdo Maneuver

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah what the hell, Lop and Ocho was easily my second favorite short. The found family theme is great and works significantly better here than it did in TROS lmao. It's also one of the best looking episodes imo. The Duel is going to get a lot of praise, and it makes for a strong opening to the anthology, but there's very little to it outside of the saber reveal and Kurosawa aesthetic imo. The Village Bride has best depiction of "Jedi in hiding" coupled with easily the best scoring of the anthology—the music is so good in that episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Duel reminds me a lot of The Package in the Halo Legends anthology. It's an intentional show opener to give people what they want when they hear about the collection.

The Duel is a lot better than that Shinji Aramaki dross, thank god. That guy keeps making bad CGI anime of movies that I like please don't let him do Star Wars too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

The Duel reminds me a lot of The Package in the Halo Legends anthology. It's an intentional show opener to give people what they want when they hear about the collection.

The Duel is a lot better than that Shinji Aramaki dross, thank god. That guy keeps making bad CGI anime of movies that I like please don't let him do Star Wars too.

I like the first two Appleseed CG films, especially Ex Machina :shobon: