Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

i'm super vibing with your avatar and username

i really dug the lorax when i was a kid, didn't think we'd actually be living it, tho, ya know?

didn't i just post a lorax song? i'm trippin

the song you posted rocks too btw :yaycat: :yeeclaw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

also, regarding my avatar and the quote

lol

lmao

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This is a bad look. If you get invited on as the climate change believer and don't laugh uproariously at every question posed you're embarrassing yourself

this is correct

Car Hater posted:

Next time I get fired (ayyyyyy)

i said "ayyyyyy" out loud :yaycat:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

500 good dogs posted:

also who cares if there's microplastic in poop doesn't that mean it's just passing through us nbd? not like they're finding it in our blood

if youve got some tupperware thats a few years old in your kitchen somewhere, you know the stuff that's all gritty feeling like sandpaper because it's starting to break down

think about one hour in a washing machine every few weeks did to it, then think about what happens to the plastic thats sitting in your stomach and intestines for 12 hours

lol

lmao

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are we at the "it's too late to do anything to stop it stage" or is there still hope?

genuinely sitting in my work office trying to avoid snickering and laughing because of this post

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Cold on a Cob posted:

he said something like "isn't the government doing stuff about this though? there are lots of windfarms in alberta now and we get our power from nuclear and hydroelectric"

i lol'd out loud

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

i live near a us air base that does training for the c-130 hercules. you go outside and you can usually hear a distant (or not so distant) buzzing drone from their props

i finally looked it up today and they use like 700 gallons of fuel an hour to stay in flight. just a single plane, and there's usually multiple up there buzzing around, flying in circles just to train soldiers so they can go fail to evacuate people and gear out of occupied nations. all around the clock mind you, since night training is important. i can hear one right now. no insects though.

lol

lmao

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

us c 130s log 175,000 combined flight hours, yearly

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

im sure if you cut down on your personal waste a bit you can match the equivalent of driving 2.8 billion miles every year though

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Cold on a Cob posted:

how long until climate change activists start self immolating like buddhist monks? can't wait for shitlords to start making fun of them for that because even though i expect it in my lifetime it's still gonna be a crack ping for me.

He claimed to be against fossil fuels and yet he used gasoline as an accelerant when he self-immolated. Hmm, interesting don't you think?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=489IYmZkLuQ

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Minrad posted:

i live near a us air base that does training for the c-130 hercules. you go outside and you can usually hear a distant (or not so distant) buzzing drone from their props

i finally looked it up today and they use like 700 gallons of fuel an hour to stay in flight. just a single plane, and there's usually multiple up there buzzing around, flying in circles just to train soldiers so they can go fail to evacuate people and gear out of occupied nations. all around the clock mind you, since night training is important. i can hear one right now. no insects though.

lol

lmao

I spend a good amount of time watching ADS-B and filtering it for military traffic. It's kind of like watching a fishbowl for me as an AvGeek.

During Trump's administration, the amount of military air traffic active over the country in the very early and late hours seemed excessive. During Biden's it has noticeably decreased. For instance, for most of the past decade, the Army has been running a "secret" program where they ran UH-60 Blackhawks in "racetrack" patterns between Davison Army Airfield at Fort Belvoir, around/over Northern Virginia and the general Beltway area, out to Mount Weather, and back. At all hours of the day and night. I say "secret" because I lived directly underneath the flight pattern and when you have a UH-60 flying over your house at 500ft AGL every 30 minutes or so, it tends to get a bit old, and they also de-facto declassified the operation several years ago when asking for more money to keep doing it.

Frequency of those flights has *noticeably* decreased.

The C-130J is actually one of the cheaper cost-per-flight-hour "big planes" in the US inventory, even though I have to concur with you that the environmental cost is arguably more important at this point.

For those who are curious: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

To filter military traffic (not everything is fitted to be trackable via ADS), click the "U" button in the top right of the map window.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cold on a Cob posted:

how long until climate change activists start self immolating like buddhist monks? can't wait for shitlords to start making fun of them for that because even though i expect it in my lifetime it's still gonna be a crack ping for me.

Already happened,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Buckel

there was also Arnav Gupta and a bunch of others that have their reasons listed as "unknown." I heard about Gupta but couldn't remember the name so wiki to the rescue:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_self-immolations

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lmao

lol

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Sep 23, 2021

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I spend a good amount of time watching ADS-B and filtering it for military traffic. It's kind of like watching a fishbowl for me as an AvGeek.

During Trump's administration, the amount of military air traffic active over the country in the very early and late hours seemed excessive. During Biden's it has noticeably decreased. For instance, for most of the past decade, the Army has been running a "secret" program where they ran UH-60 Blackhawks in "racetrack" patterns between Davison Army Airfield at Fort Belvoir, around/over Northern Virginia and the general Beltway area, out to Mount Weather, and back. At all hours of the day and night. I say "secret" because I lived directly underneath the flight pattern and when you have a UH-60 flying over your house at 500ft AGL every 30 minutes or so, it tends to get a bit old, and they also de-facto declassified the operation several years ago when asking for more money to keep doing it.

Frequency of those flights has *noticeably* decreased.

The C-130J is actually one of the cheaper cost-per-flight-hour "big planes" in the US inventory, even though I have to concur with you that the environmental cost is arguably more important at this point.

For those who are curious: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

To filter military traffic (not everything is fitted to be trackable via ADS), click the "U" button in the top right of the map window.

this is genuinely interesting, thank you. it's also literally the most positive thing ive read about biden since he became president lmfao

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
these had to have been posted but whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmAlQvDQGoI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hCTJ76ctPY

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

full on revenge-of-the-nerds guffawing at this

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Are we at the "it's too late to do anything to stop it stage" or is there still hope?

It's always been too late because all the real solutions are politically untenable. Try to think the most milquetoast (but still at least moderately effective) measures you can imagine, and then realize that we need those done in like five years, but preferably yesterday. Nobody in a position to do anything is even talking about solutions even though those solutions need to be well underway.

Climate change is a lesson in what happens when you always assume that reality bends towards optimistic outcomes, except we're all going to be too dead to learn anything from it. Not that we would have anyway, so lol.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.
For all you Cali goons out there, lol lmao

https://twitter.com/emily_hoeven/status/1440706109090582537
article:

quote:

Another indication of how desperate California is for water: Marin County water officials are competing with Mohammed bin Salman, the crown prince of Saudi Arabia, to purchase three portable desalination plants to bolster water supplies.

The dismaying numbers increase pressure on Newsom to issue mandatory statewide water restrictions as then-Gov. Jerry Brown did during the last drought. Newsom, who appeared to be trying to steer clear of unpopular mandates ahead of the Sept. 14 recall election, said in mid-August that such restrictions likely wouldn’t happen until the end of September.

In other environmental news, firefighters on Tuesday managed to keep the KNP Complex blaze away from General Sherman and other beloved giant sequoias, though flames were threatening a group of century-old mining cabins. The Windy Fire, burning in the nearby Sequoia National Forest, significantly damaged a sequoia known as the Bench Tree and had “completely surrounded” other ancient groves, according to the Los Angeles Times.

And as the Biden administration moves forward with a plan to develop federal workplace heat standards, an investigation from Columbia Journalism Investigations, KPCC and LAist found that more than 150 firefighters working for Cal Fire, the state’s fire agency, were sickened by heat exposure over the past 18 months. The report also found that since 2001, five firefighters — four of them inmate firefighters — died from employee training injuries likely tied to heat-related illness.

Where's Kamala to talk about water wars randomly again?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Chard posted:

life in plastic
it's fantastic

plastic in life
causing world strife

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
plastic in brains
making us insane

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lost Time posted:

For all you Cali goons out there, lol lmao

https://twitter.com/emily_hoeven/status/1440706109090582537
article:

Where's Kamala to talk about water wars randomly again?

I feel like the transition from "California is running out of water" to "California has run out of water" will be extremely abrupt and shocking. There will never be a time where a warning will be issued that in "X number of months the state of California expects that it will unable to provide drinking water for residents of X town - plan accordingly." One day people are just going to turn on the tap and nothing will come out and nobody will be there to take responsibility for it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my favorite part about kamala saying that she expects the us to get into wars over water is that she did it while also making it the acknowledged us government position that our most recent wars really were about oil

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
we need to fight new wars to secure resources that are running out thanks to burning the resources we secured in our old wars

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

idea for renewable resource to feed number: humans

has anyone had this idea yet? can i trademark it?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The search for something that Number doesn't eat is in vain. Number already eats humans. Number eats everything.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
im thinking maybe the future is not so good

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Radirot posted:

im thinking maybe the future is not so good

it certainly looks bright

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I feel like the transition from "California is running out of water" to "California has run out of water" will be extremely abrupt and shocking. There will never be a time where a warning will be issued that in "X number of months the state of California expects that it will unable to provide drinking water for residents of X town - plan accordingly." One day people are just going to turn on the tap and nothing will come out and nobody will be there to take responsibility for it.

We've been getting hints of what's to come with Flint and then Jackson Mississippi literally this year
https://twitter.com/UniteThePoor/status/1370920559639457793

Media and politicians didn't care because black people and poor people in general are barely regarded as human, but what happens in the exploited areas doesn't stay in the exploited areas.

And in the end most Americans are regarded as disposable human stock, so you're right, we're going to see the same game play out, just with a lot more bodies now. And we won't even have to wait till 2030 to see some really heinous poo poo.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Stereotype posted:

it certainly looks bright

Future so bright I gotta wear sun shades

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Mayor Dave posted:

Future so bright I gotta wear sun shades

i made this over a year ago

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1440867504419606539
threat lol

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Alobar posted:

i'm super vibing with your avatar and username

i really dug the lorax when i was a kid, didn't think we'd actually be living it, tho, ya know?

didn't i just post a lorax song? i'm trippin

the song you posted rocks too btw :yaycat: :yeeclaw:

folks are crack pinging real hard and forget the struggle has always been real hard

line 3 protests up in Minnesota are still going, some of the kids are staying at camp miziki and they’re figuring it out and learning lots

https://abcnews.go.com/US/Politics/line-pipeline-resistance-continues-activists-biden-admin-shutdown/

quote:

Biden held a second global summit on climate change Friday and urged his counterparts to set aggressive benchmarks for curbing greenhouse gas emissions. Still, climate scientist Heidi Roop, a professor at the University of Minnesota, said it is hard to imagine the president meeting his own emission goals with a new pipeline like this bringing more oil to market.

“The new pipeline is designed to carry around 760,000 barrels of oil a day. If we look at the emissions associated with the combustion of that amount of fuel, it translates roughly into around 38 million, the equivalent of 38 million cars on the road. Every year, or around 45 coal-fired power plants burning,” Roop told ABC News.

“If we just consider the consequences to climate change investments in fossil fuel infrastructure that will increase our ability to consume fossil fuels, which are the root cause of our warming planet, sets us in the wrong direction,” Roop continued. “If we want to avoid the worst impacts of a changing climate. We have to start considering other tools in our toolbox that are going to support and sustain society.”

Fernandez said Enbridge wanted to be a part of transitioning to an energy future that relied more on cleaner energy but argued there was still a strong goal demand for oil.

Complicating the debate around for this pipeline in particular, is the exact type of Canadian oil that Line 3 is designed to transport: tar sands. A heavier oil that requires significant energy to both mine and refine, tar sands is considered one of the dirtiest options.

“So the question is, are we going to have the same demand for oil in 2015, if we have it 2021, and I don't think that's the case," Arvind Ravikumar, an expert in the climate impacts and energy infrastructure and associate professor at the University of Texas - Austin, told ABC News. "Therefore, when we are thinking about building these new pipelines, we have to think not just about the climate impacts of the oil that's going to flow in tomorrow, but about whether that infrastructure for fossil fuels is necessary for the next 30 years.”

and the security staff stuff that came out this week is mercenary as gently caress

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/17/enbridge-line-3-pipeline-amazon-security-exxon/

https://gizmodo.com/amazons-former-security-chief-is-now-guarding-the-line-1847724615

quote:

The man heading up security for the oil transport company Enbridge, which is currently facing down an Indigenuous-led protest movement against the Line 3 pipeline, formerly helped Exxon shield its operations from demonstrations in Nigeria and oversaw global security for Amazon.

The Intercept recently reported that Enbridge’s head of security, Troy Kirby, likely built a handbook of the kind of corporate counter-insurgency tactics experts say energy companies have applied towards environmental activists in recent years.

Kirby’s LinkedIn page shows that before coming to Enbridge in 2019, he spent three years as the head of Amazon’s corporate security. Documents dated to his final year there obtained by Vice show that under Kirby’s leadership, Amazon security monitored social media posts by union organizers and environmental activists. Vice reported that Amazon dispatched operatives from the infamous Pinkerton agency to investigate reports of employee misconduct at a facility in Poland.

For at least four years before his stint at Amazon, the Intercept reported, Kirby worked for Exxon as an adviser on “strategic security countermeasures” in Nigeria. The Intercept reported that the job responsibilities on Kirby’s LinkedIn page were deleted, but a previous version of his page showed they included managing crises including pirate attacks, employee kidnappings, and “community protests.” Accomplishments listed included “[Establishing] a Nigerian based security network with private and public sector security leaders” and “Oversight of host government security forces,” such as managing a “Security Maritime Operations center including a fleet of 17 military-grade security vessels” that protected Exxon’s offshore oil platforms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU2xKDcXn1g

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Well the military's budget is effectively infinite so in a way they're correct.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://youtu.be/ZyhrYis509A

Life in plastic - It's fantastic!

https://twitter.com/cleanairmoms/status/1440980878012911616?s=21

quote:

Under a regulation expected to be issued Thursday morning, the Environmental Protection Agency will slash the use of hydrofluorocarbons, or HFCs, by 85 percent over the next 15 years. The White House also will announce a task force and other enforcement efforts to prevent the illegal production or importation of the destructive man-made compound.

HFCs were used to replace ozone-depleting chlorofluorocarbons in the 1980s but have turned out to be a significant driver of global warming. While they are only a small percentage of greenhouse gases and stay in the atmosphere for a short time, they have a thousand times the heat-trapping potency carbon dioxide, the most abundant climate pollutant.

https://twitter.com/ajenglish/status/1437630955456454659?s=21

quote:

The pact between the US and the EU sets a target of cutting at least 30% from global methane emissions, based on 2020 levels, by 2030.

“The short atmospheric lifetime of methane means that taking action now can rapidly reduce the rate of global warming,” the draft said.

Experts say the fossil fuel industry has the biggest potential to cut methane emissions this decade by mending leaky pipelines or gas storage facilities, and many of those fixes can be done cheaply.

I realize these pledges are largely useless but it sounds like they're trying to at least delay the hot house earth scenario a bit... or in other words maintain the status quo for regular old CO2 for longer.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/ajenglish/status/1437630955456454659?s=21

I realize these pledges are largely useless but it sounds like they're trying to at least delay the hot house earth scenario a bit... or in other words maintain the status quo for regular old CO2 for longer.

It's a good thing that most of the methane in the world is emitted by the US/EU and not by natural plumes bursting through thawed permafrost or formerly ice covered ocean floors. So targeting a minor reduction in yearly emissions over the next decade in those two areas should make a huge difference!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

There is no possibility of averting catastrophic climate change that renders the planet unrecognizable and the majority of the biosphere, from plants and animals to breathable and livable ecologies themselves, dead.

But if you're looking for a fight the ruling class is right now transforming you into a serf and the globe into their plantation. We are not too far from a world where only the privileged will be able to go to the beach, say. So if there's a fight you're looking for there's a worthy one to be had - however it only secures a better, more free, more comfortable dying. loving worth it to me. If I got like twenty years left (I believe I have far far less but nevertheless) I'd sooner be shot dead in 5 than spend the remaining 15 a slave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Doesn't matter, we would never take the necessary steps to fix it anyway.