Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
dim brain: the height of 80s pop-prog is rush's moving pictures
lit brain: the height of 80s pop-prog is yes's 90125
galaxy brain: the height of 80s pop-prog is the duke suite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNrnNuyqXqw

i'm glad i got into genesis last year. turns out that while their late 80s stuff is a bit too poppy for me, and their peter gabriel stuff is fun but a bit Too Much for me, duke/abacab/self-titled genesis is exactly what i want from prog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

Ignoring that Power Windows exists. Shame.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BigFactory posted:

Ignoring that Signals exists. Shame.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
apparently Magma are working on a new album. apparently it'll actually be new material

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

why is no one saying grace under pressure

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Astrochicken posted:

why is no one saying grace under pressure

Power windows is poppier.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Abacab is drat masterpiece. I love when the bass comes in almost 2:30 minutes into this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5O9I7F83io

Warthur
May 2, 2004

As much as I love what Marillion, Pendragon, and IQ did in the 80s, I think it's fair to say that there'd have been no prog revival without the older bands shifting into that pop-prog style to give credibility to the idea that prog doesn't have to be a more-inaccessible-than-thou arms race.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

JAMOOOL posted:

apparently Magma are working on a new album. apparently it'll actually be new material

I really have to catch up with their more recent output. But everytime I try I just end up listening to K.A because it's just so loving good.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Warthur posted:

As much as I love what Marillion, Pendragon, and IQ did in the 80s, I think it's fair to say that there'd have been no prog revival without the older bands shifting into that pop-prog style to give credibility to the idea that prog doesn't have to be a more-inaccessible-than-thou arms race.

It’s not Prog if the song isn’t at least 4 hours long and only uses sounds that occur naturally in outer space. :colbert:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

XBenedict posted:

It’s not Prog if the song isn’t at least 4 hours long and only uses sounds that occur naturally in outer space. :colbert:
Being able to put a song on repeat for 4 hours has been trivial since even the CD age.

All Earthly sounds occur naturally in outer space, because the Earth naturally formed in space.

Therefore, all music is prog.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Wiltsghost posted:

Abacab is drat masterpiece. I love when the bass comes in almost 2:30 minutes into this track.

i gotta give abacab a few more spins. i do love this live version of dodo/lurker, a song with an ending that sequences one of the most dogshit keyboard solos ive ever heard in prog rock directly into like the best vocal phil collins ever put to tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TB6e4IbPZQ

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm struck by how many "Gabriel-isms" are in Phil's vocals. I wonder if that's a conscious effort or if it's just a Charlie Parker/Sonny Stitt kind of thing where they sound alike only because they listened to the same kind of stuff.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Duke thru S/T is the soundtrack to cocaine

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Warthur posted:

all that neo prog stuff is way more accessible than like RIO or something but it's also really lame and basically just retreading all the 70s bands everyone knows so it seems like they really were the worst of both worlds.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Duke thru S/T is the soundtrack to cocaine

Holy moly, I've never listened to their self-titled album before and I'm only on Mama but this is spot-on.

Also I'm kinda diggin' it.

e: Didn't realize this was the album That's All came from. Phil's really goin' to town on the vocals this album.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 21, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Phil era Genesis is honestly pretty good all the way through. Even Invisible Touch and We Can’t Dance have some long complex songs on them.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

For the longest time I was all and only about Selling England by the Pound. Something about that album really clicked, and it took me a while to open up to even Gabriel's other ones. I'm still not sold on Lamb (though The Samurai of Prog's cover of The Lamia is great).

Also for the longest time I didn't think I liked Yes even though all signs said I should've, 'til I realized a handful of those '80 songs I liked were Yes.

It's been difficult qualifying my tastes.

e: Well, Genesis' Genesis was short but sweet.

vvv: somewhat the opposite problem Lamb had.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 21, 2021

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

like most overlarge double albums, the lamb'd make a killer single record if you let an editor at it

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
don't even need an editor, just throw the 2nd LP in the trash

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

"it" is a really good closer, and I think you could salvage some other bits, fit them in if you drop some of the pointless stuff from the first disc, like, I could do without ever hearing "counting out time" or "grand parade" ever again

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Anyway and The Lamia are great songs.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Some of the instrumental parts on the second LP are really good too.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

A human heart posted:

all that neo prog stuff is way more accessible than like RIO or something but it's also really lame and basically just retreading all the 70s bands everyone knows so it seems like they really were the worst of both worlds.

I'd say by Clutching At Straws at the absolute latest Marillion had carved out a niche which was unmistakably theirs and didn't resemble any of the 70s bands all that closely (and indeed there aren't really any 70s albums which sound much like Script For A Jesters' Tear).

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Fish-era Marillion is something special alright. Hogarth-era not as much, but Brave hits pretty hard (especially with the Steven Wilson mix).

Pallas is some great neo-prog too:

https://open.spotify.com/album/7dDNkXsAVYRXi8zogb98WS

Twelfth Night is also some underrated poo poo, but it’s a weird case as they're incredible live...

https://twelfthnightuk.bandcamp.com/album/live-and-let-live-2021

...but suck the second you put them in a studio.

https://twelfthnightuk.bandcamp.com/album/fact-and-fiction-1982-studio-recordings

JAMOOOL posted:

don't even need an editor, just throw the 2nd LP in the trash

The Lamb Disc 2 has some great jams, although it'd comprise of not much more than a side total.

Though that could've been remedied if they weren't insistent on the anti-audiophile ritual of shoving 52 minutes into a single vinyl disc. Could've still filled out 2 discs nicely if it were Goodbye Yellow Brick Road length instead of like 100 minutes.

Lamb is still my favorite Genesis regardless.

Hammer Bro. posted:

e: Well, Genesis' Genesis was short but sweet.

Side 1 is one of the strongest halves of an album ever committed to record.

Side 2 is more of a mess, but whatever.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Wmg7Tq4Pk

More Dream Theater being Dream Theater.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Guitar solo's neat. Mix seems like it drowns James out a bit, which presumably is because they've realized that James really isn't that great of a singer but they can't fire him without breaking the band up.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
was definitely more DT. is it just me or is JLB slowly morphing into Ron Jeremy?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gaspy Conana posted:

was definitely more DT. is it just me or is JLB slowly morphing into Ron Jeremy?

I'm a LaBrie truther. He was replaced by an imperfect body double in 1994.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Gaspy Conana posted:

He’s the worst frontman in rock n roll. He’s worse than modern Vince Neil.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

BigFactory posted:

He’s the worst frontman in rock n roll. He’s worse than modern Vince Neil.

He is no frontman, merely a vocalist.
John Petruccis magnificent beard is the frontman.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Paladinus posted:

I'm a LaBrie truther. He was replaced by an imperfect body double in 1994.

The real JLB is in a rotating series of indie bands with a handful of out of work Canadian glam metal musicians.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
lmao at the joker shirt

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Kazinsal posted:

The real JLB is in a rotating series of indie bands with a handful of out of work Canadian glam metal musicians.

Guesting on the next GY!BE album

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

adhuin posted:

John Petruccis biceps is the frontman.

Fixed.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Guesting on the next GY!BE album

It's still instrumental, just autotuning WUUEEAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHs as needed

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Splendid new Thank You Scientist track out today.

https://thankyouscientist.bandcamp.com/track/soul-diver

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
mastodon drops new single teardrinker

https://youtu.be/sx1L2XW1N0c

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qMsr7jjQF0

Not the most polished live performance, but extremely surreal to see Gabriel era Genesis in this level of video quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

abraham linksys posted:

lit brain: the height of 80s pop-prog is yes's 90125
galaxy brain: the height of 80s pop-prog is the duke suite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNrnNuyqXqw

i'm glad i got into genesis last year. turns out that while their late 80s stuff is a bit too poppy for me, and their peter gabriel stuff is fun but a bit Too Much for me, duke/abacab/self-titled genesis is exactly what i want from prog

This is a really weird paraphrase of the American psycho speech