Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kanos posted:

I think the thing that is getting me is that reviving people used to be a massive, centrally important part of everything. The science stuff is cool and rad, but the people dynamics were equally important. That aspect of things has basically fallen entirely out of the story - they're founding cities and presumably reviving tons of people offscreen that we never meet or interact with or see how the crew befriended them and convinced them to agree to supply labor/materials for a stone age rocket building project centered in Japan despite everyone now living in caveman world.

The answer here is Feudalism + the implied threat of nuclear annihilation petrification. Its not particularly glamourous and I can very much understand why the editors or even Boichi might have realized that its not really a fun or productive line of story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only evidence they have of why man is a transmission in senku's voice.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the only evidence they have of why man is a transmission in senku's voice.

Multiple threatening transmissions and the medusa being dropped from space, including later on the island the astronauts landed on.
It's called why man because that's what the first message in morse was.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Kanos posted:

I think the thing that is getting me is that reviving people used to be a massive, centrally important part of everything. The science stuff is cool and rad, but the people dynamics were equally important. That aspect of things has basically fallen entirely out of the story - they're founding cities and presumably reviving tons of people offscreen that we never meet or interact with or see how the crew befriended them and convinced them to agree to supply labor/materials for a stone age rocket building project centered in Japan despite everyone now living in caveman world.

It's because there's the question of how Senku is organizing these new workforces and distributing power/authority and so on, something the manga doesn't seem to want to address much. We've never really seen Team Senku revive a significant number of modern-day people, organize them, and convince them to follow him. In Japan and America, other people did the work to create societies (usually organized around a single leader), and then he came into those societies and won over the leaders, who joined him and brought their whole society along with them. Everywhere else, where there weren't pre-existing societies and Senku had to win the people over from scratch, they're barely even seen on-panel. Team Science just takes five minutes to show they're nice people, and then everyone apparently falls in line and figures their own poo poo out off-screen.

Which is fine, honestly, but it seems like an unusual omission given that social organization and direction was key to the motives of pretty much all the antagonists to date - even really minor ones like Magma. "Who will rule in this world" has been one of the fundamental conflict-drivers, so just handwaving it every time the question comes to Senku feels like a waste. Whether it's Ishigami Village's chieftainship, Magma's rule of the muscly, Tsukasa's primitivist empire, Hyoga's social darwinism, Ibara's usurpation of a hereditary rule, or Dr. Xeno's science dictatorship, they all basically stemmed from conflict about who gets to be in charge.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

Multiple threatening transmissions and the medusa being dropped from space, including later on the island the astronauts landed on.
It's called why man because that's what the first message in morse was.

they can't pull any of that stuff out to show random de-petrified people across the planet and convince them to go all in on a stone age space program. even the inert medusas aren't really very good proof without a demonstration of the active one. it'd take a while to negotiate for each new city but that's boring so it got skipped.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they can't pull any of that stuff out to show random de-petrified people across the planet and convince them to go all in on a stone age space program. even the inert medusas aren't really very good proof without a demonstration of the active one. it'd take a while to negotiate for each new city but that's boring so it got skipped.

The story iis basically caught between 2 evils.
Either:
1: We get to see every city built and people are coerced in line through a series of repeat conflicts that draw the manga out a lot.
2: We skip the cities and just show Senkuu de petrifying people and giving them food to bribe them. We lose out on a lot of potentially interesting conflict and themes but we keep a solid pace going.

It feels like we're going way too fast, but I'm sure we would've complained about slow speed and repetitiveness in the other option. I do think Inagaki picked the lesser of the 2 evils.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vizuyos posted:

It's because there's the question of how Senku is organizing these new workforces and distributing power/authority and so on, something the manga doesn't seem to want to address much. We've never really seen Team Senku revive a significant number of modern-day people, organize them, and convince them to follow him. In Japan and America, other people did the work to create societies (usually organized around a single leader), and then he came into those societies and won over the leaders, who joined him and brought their whole society along with them. Everywhere else, where there weren't pre-existing societies and Senku had to win the people over from scratch, they're barely even seen on-panel. Team Science just takes five minutes to show they're nice people, and then everyone apparently falls in line and figures their own poo poo out off-screen.

Which is fine, honestly, but it seems like an unusual omission given that social organization and direction was key to the motives of pretty much all the antagonists to date - even really minor ones like Magma. "Who will rule in this world" has been one of the fundamental conflict-drivers, so just handwaving it every time the question comes to Senku feels like a waste. Whether it's Ishigami Village's chieftainship, Magma's rule of the muscly, Tsukasa's primitivist empire, Hyoga's social darwinism, Ibara's usurpation of a hereditary rule, or Dr. Xeno's science dictatorship, they all basically stemmed from conflict about who gets to be in charge.

Thank you, this sums up my misgivings better than I did.

The social dynamics behind "holy poo poo society is loving destroyed and everything is reset to a completely blank slate, how is the new society going to be organized/run" were at one point just as important as the science stuff. Pretty much the entire manga from Ishigami Village up through the Xeno arc spent a lot of time focusing on the formation and governing of societies in a post apocalyptic stone world, and the clashes between those societies once they were formed. The scientific side of things was mostly in service to the sociology stuff; Senku re-invented ramen and sulfa drugs to win over Ishigami Village, he re-invented the cell phone to help defend Ishigami from the Tsukasa Empire, etc.

Since the opposing faction is currently a faceless moon ghost, we just have the protagonists running around re-inventing things and trivially founding cities off-screen kind of divorced from all context that made that stuff feel impressive and important. Senku and friends creating sulfa drugs from basically loving nothing to save the life of one person and convince one tiny village of people that science is cool and good had me a lot more invested than "the crew hops in their rocket boat and jets off to Indonesia to bring in a multi-ton rice crop off screen so they can feed their offscreen laborers who we've never met who are building rocket engines for them", you know?

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 21, 2021

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I would have liked more smaller scope stuff focused on individuals and winning them over. We have a name for every single person in Ishigami village! We didn't need to go that hard on every continent but it would have been nice to meet some new people and have feelings about them getting access to the stuff they want, like maybe Ruri and the Nikki team up to make a cover album of the greatest hits of that astronaut celebrity's music or they have to make a zoo for whatever reason and Kohaku and Tsukasa get to fight lions or someone they revive still has a disability or gets into an accident and Chrome independently invents a wheelchair because he knows what a wheel is now but insists on naming it something ridiculous.

A big arc is fine I just like small scale stuff.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Pretty sure anyone disabled prestoning isn’t once they get a revive.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sextro posted:

Pretty sure anyone disabled prestoning isn’t once they get a revive.

That probably depends on how/why they are disabled. If it's due to an injury, it should get fixed by they petrification, unless it's a lost limb. If it's genetic, it will probably stay that way?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they haven't dealt with that subject at all.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1440923321181278209

Moon arc will he last one it seems

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

While I will miss Dr Stone, I do believe this is a very good call.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Not gonna lie, it's kind of a shame. The cast is fun and there was a lot of room for adventures in rebuilding civilization one step at a time. But I guess the idea well was running short and they figured it was best to rush it to an end, which is at least better than having it be a zombie husk of itself for a few years longer than it should be like some other Jump series.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm fully in support of this. I actually hate it when media, of any sort, turns into an undying revenant with a million characters and an absolutely impenetrable plot and lore; better to end the story on your own terms than letting it become that. (Or having it die because of low ratings.)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well the whole point is to save humanity. They got the reviving part figured out so the last thing to do is figure out whodunit and stop them.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Well there we go, deciding to go for its ending for one reason or another, so these last few bits that probably would've been full arcs otherwise get glossed over to focus fully on the moon.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Mercy killed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that this final part will last the better part of a year and Dr. Stone will end on Z=256.

That gives us 45 chapters to cover rocket flight, life support, spacesuits, outer space, solar radiation, gravity, and Why-Man.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I like this because I love complete stories that don't drag too long. Also it means a new story can be started later.

Helck was much the same thing, even if I feel like there was some stuff that could be expanded upon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm okay with this. If the goal isn't to just kind of have a science adventure manga where they sail around rebuilding civilization, I'd rather they just reach a conclusion on a high note.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Pewdiepie posted:

Mercy killed.

Why are you here?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I'm okay with this. If the goal isn't to just kind of have a science adventure manga where they sail around rebuilding civilization, I'd rather they just reach a conclusion on a high note.

To be fair that might have been the goal at one point but Stone probably doesn't have the legs to sustain that over "let's just get to the ending." I mean as long as it gets an ending instead of "And then Senko went into space... and we don't know what happened. But never again have we been petrified and we remember his legacy. Someday, someday, we'll go to the moon and discover the cost of our newfound peace..." THE END

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Senku died on the way back to his home planet (Earth).

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

Why are you here?

Shut the gently caress up. Moron. I'm here to read manga and discuss it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair that might have been the goal at one point but Stone probably doesn't have the legs to sustain that over "let's just get to the ending." I mean as long as it gets an ending instead of "And then Senko went into space... and we don't know what happened. But never again have we been petrified and we remember his legacy. Someday, someday, we'll go to the moon and discover the cost of our newfound peace..." THE END

I sorta feel that the decision to manufacture a mysterious faceless antagonist was a misstep, but they did it and now they kinda have to ride it to its conclusion.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Doesn't help that the second you have two Senkus and defacto immortality, nothing has stakes except getting to space, why man or not. You can definitely revive everyone, you definitely feed everyone despite immortality with effective post scarcity because you can colonize space on tremendously long time scales now and you have all of the necessary talent to do that. The only problem with stakes left is what put humanity in that position in the first place.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Chapter 212: Final Part: Stone to Space

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-212/chapter/23253?action=read

Buckle up, there's no slowing down now.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Why are there random campers with motorbikes and vans on the spread?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm sad but I'm okay with this. It's been a very cool and unique series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It definitely makes sense to end it when they discover the why of Why Man because once they build up the infrastructure and start doing large scale revivals that's kind of it for the plot. Sure you could definitely do a story about how society changes after something like this but that's not really Dr Stone's bag.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Hey, they averted the Fry's Dog scenario, sorta.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Chapter was good. I hope they're going to slow down a little now that most of the hard work is done.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

It definitely makes sense to end it when they discover the why of Why Man because once they build up the infrastructure and start doing large scale revivals that's kind of it for the plot. Sure you could definitely do a story about how society changes after something like this but that's not really Dr Stone's bag.

Yeah thats the kind of stuff for an epilogue

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

No Dr Stone this week, it seems.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Chapter 213: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-213/chapter/23278?action=read

finally, the full power of the nintendo entertainment system at our finger tips!

THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Oh no Ukyo I hope that wasn't your doing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is it just me or

or does the Medusa beam look way more sinister than any of the other times it got fired off?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

See you all in 3000 years I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is it just me or

or does the Medusa beam look way more sinister than any of the other times it got fired off?

There's an explosion in addition to the petribeam going on, which isnt helping