Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Another Spanish idiom I learned today is "acostarse con las gallinas" i.e. go to bed with the chickens i.e. tuck in really early. I've heard it in English as 'go to bed with the chickens and wake up with the cows', meaning go to bed right at sundown and wake up at the crack of dawn. My girls really do tuck themselves in as soon as it gets dark without my having to do anything. I love hearing them cluck at each other as they jostle for the best perch at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Imagined posted:

Another Spanish idiom I learned today is "acostarse con las gallinas" i.e. go to bed with the chickens i.e. tuck in really early. I've heard it in English as 'go to bed with the chickens and wake up with the cows', meaning go to bed right at sundown and wake up at the crack of dawn. My girls really do tuck themselves in as soon as it gets dark without my having to do anything. I love hearing them cluck at each other as they jostle for the best perch at night.
:kimchi: chicken bedtime was always my favourite time of night. i also enjoy the intricate politics behind who perches where.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Our three girls had their heads taken off and the bodies left there by a raccoon. gently caress 'em.

Same here. I can at least respect if a predator eats a good portion of a chicken, but just killing them is for assholes.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Raccoons sound awful.

If anyone is in the market for any fall chicks, Meyer Hatchery is going to quit selling Lakeshore Eggers. I was planning to order some next spring but I guess I’m getting fall chicks instead! :henget: I raised a few Lakeshores this past spring and I really liked them. They were only left behind in the move because my mom wanted them.

My whole order:
3 Lakeshore Egger pullets
2 Partridge Penedesenca pullets
1 Cream Legbar pullet
1 Cream Legbar cockerel
1 Meal Maker pullet (they have been a Cream Legbar or Olive Egger lately)

I am excited for new chicks!

Dorothy had her cough come back so we re-dosed her and we are keeping an eye on her. I hope her poor demeanor is mostly due to molting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Joburg posted:

Raccoons sound awful.
The death cries are an acquired taste.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

The chickens went on a field trip to the front of house where they are remarkably more vulnerable. They stick together though. Brave chickens.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Beautiful :swoon:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
That's an album cover, for sure!

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

RudeCat posted:

The chickens went on a field trip to the front of house where they are remarkably more vulnerable. They stick together though. Brave chickens.
heavenly floff

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Turns out two of the three chicks we let hatch and lived are likely roosters :sigh: .

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

ChaseSP posted:

Turns out two of the three chicks we let hatch and lived are likely roosters :sigh: .
:negative:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
https://www.reddit.com/r/Wellthatsucks/comments/pd08oe/so_part_of_the_automated_chicken_feeding_system/

Jackpot!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oh those poor birds (especially those too sick and slow to move out of the way of the avalanche).

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 23, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I'm not certain but I thought it was the feeder just constantly dumping out food, not that it happened all at once. In which case the only avalanche should be all the birds rushing towards dinner

E: I hope it wasn't that :ohdear:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 23, 2021

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm reasonably certain that if it had dumped all at once, it would have spread out more instead of piling that high.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

OP from reddit posted:

----No chickens died in this spill, the filling system comes out of the pipe at a rate that they were able to move out of the way, like poking a hole in a sandbag---

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

no you see spookygonk has to be terrified for some meat birds that are gonna be dead in 3 weeks anyhow

hell if I was a meat bird, a death bath of food sounds like a wild way to go.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

no you see spookygonk has to be terrified for some meat birds that are gonna be dead in 3 weeks anyhow
I have disliked factory farming every since getting ex-battery hens.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

hell if I was a meat bird, a death bath of food sounds like a wild way to go.
True.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

All my girls have gone off-lay for some reason. Hoping it's just the time of year and the fact they're 18 months old now :ohdear: Haven't noticed any moulting and they all look fine, no lice or anything... The plastic house has been good for keeping that down. Just... No eggs.

They're not eating them either, there's no egg song in the morning.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nettle Soup posted:

All my girls have gone off-lay for some reason. Hoping it's just the time of year and the fact they're 18 months old now :ohdear: Haven't noticed any moulting and they all look fine, no lice or anything... The plastic house has been good for keeping that down. Just... No eggs.

They're not eating them either, there's no egg song in the morning.

I’d guess molting. Sometimes they do a stealth molt and it’s hard to tell. We had Dorothy in the house the other night for observation and she lost a bunch of under feathers. I can’t tell she’s molting unless I look pretty closely though.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The pure joyful surprise I had when I was vaguely curious and clicked on this:

and was greeted with this:

https://twitter.com/shouldhaveaduck/status/1441086938409160704

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

spookygonk posted:

I have disliked factory farming every since getting ex-battery hens.

I've disliked it for decades and I'm a vegetarian of nearly 20 years, but :ohdear: ing over that picture, my dude, even if they were dead it's faster than the truck to the slaughterhouse.

Enfys posted:

The pure joyful surprise I had when I was vaguely curious and clicked on this:

and was greeted with this:

https://twitter.com/shouldhaveaduck/status/1441086938409160704

good lord, a literal orb. Never have I desired to boop a bird but now I do.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's funny how my girls are simultaneously so stupid it's a wonder they remember to breathe AND surprisingly quick to learn.

For example, we've only been letting them out of their coup to wander the backyard for three days now, but they've already learned to get excited and expect it. Whenever anyone goes outside now, they all line up at the door of the coup and start chattering like mad.

On the other hand, after they're out, occasionally I'll watch one of them go back into the coup to get a drink of water or something. She'll get the drink, then look up and see her sisters on the other side of the fence, and immediately get all upset and confused because she can see they're OUT THERE but she can't remember how to rejoin them -- even though the gate is wide open and she JUST walked out of it and back in.

In addition, often while they're out my son will take their feeder to the barn to refill it, and they've already developed a habit of following along behind him. I can see them in my mind's eye right now, excitedly lined up behind him at the barn door waiting for the food.

Last night I accidentally forgot to latch their coup and when we got up this morning they were already out and grazing in the grass, but fortunately all safe and well. :ohdear: We're pretty deep in the suburbs here, fortunately, not a lot of natural predators other than cats and the occasional small hawk.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've disliked it for decades and I'm a vegetarian of nearly 20 years, but :ohdear: ing over that picture, my dude, even if they were dead it's faster than the truck to the slaughterhouse.

I was also :ohdear:-ing over it, let me have my feelings!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Imagined posted:

On the other hand, after they're out, occasionally I'll watch one of them go back into the coup to get a drink of water or something. She'll get the drink, then look up and see her sisters on the other side of the fence, and immediately get all upset and confused because she can see they're OUT THERE but she can't remember how to rejoin them -- even though the gate is wide open and she JUST walked out of it and back in.

Wildflower did this today. i was up on the balcony, looking down at the coop, and everyone left but Wildflower. she paced back and forth in front of the fence, watching the flock walk away. she started calling, and the roosters came right back to her, but no one was smart enough to figure out where the gate was

she eventually got out but i was afraid i was going to have to go free her from her stupidity if it took any longer

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Speaking of that, I forgot if I posted this. I saw it while I had my van full of chickens on the way to Georgia.

Just disgraceful animal treatment there.

Since I wasn’t able to bring my freezer full of meat across the country I just ordered half a cow from a local farm with an on-site butcher. I hope they are really decent to their animals but it’s so hard to know for sure.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I don’t eat chicken unless it’s specifically sourced from a small farm. Which means I don’t eat much chicken.

Yes, I am sure I’m being hypocritical in a multitude of ways. But putting chicken in my mouth that lived a miserable life not only makes me feel bad, it tastes bad. Gristly, stringy, and plain gross meat comes from 99% of the grocery stores.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
'Woody breast syndrome' sure has ruined most mass market chicken for me in the last few years.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I don’t eat chicken unless it’s specifically sourced from a small farm. Which means I don’t eat much chicken.

Yes, I am sure I’m being hypocritical in a multitude of ways. But putting chicken in my mouth that lived a miserable life not only makes me feel bad, it tastes bad. Gristly, stringy, and plain gross meat comes from 99% of the grocery stores.

Agreed. Good meat comes from the woods and farms that let them be animals (like mine). I roasted a whole venison ham in the crock pot all day today (it's a holiday) and it looks like food, not sad whatever the hell all the chicken breast at the store looks like.

Ground beef usually looks like playdough until you get it from somewhere the cattle actually got to move around. Then it's this dark, rich stuff and people are confused by it. It's heartbreaking.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Thanks thread, I got off my (figurative) butt and contacted a local farm about a Thanksgiving free range heritage turkey. And I ordered another for Xmas, or whenever. :)

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

it was reassuring to know the chickens in that photo aren't being periodically murdered by corn avalanches. sadly that set-up is one of the better ones that i've seen, regarding each individual bird's room to move and what looks like actual dirt on the floor rather than an acidic swamp of decomposing poo poo. factory farming is an act of evil.

also, i've said it before, but i would kill a man to taste a fluffy bunnies (tm) free-range chicken

Joburg posted:

Speaking of that, I forgot if I posted this. I saw it while I had my van full of chickens on the way to Georgia.

Just disgraceful animal treatment there.
this is hideous. the complete lack of empathy people have for animals is really frightening.
:kimchi: glorious, thank you for this palette cleanser

perepelki fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 24, 2021

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
got some bedtime pics:

Tiny Man where he puts himself to sleep:

where he actually gets to sleep (usually alone):

good birds:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

BHB posted:

i cherish and admire tiny man

speaking of tiny men, i am picking up a free quail rooster on sunday :toot:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Tiny Man is the hero we need.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

When I was in highschool we had a cooking lesson where we a made stir-fry. It was a special school with only 30-odd students, so it was all open-plan and the school provided the ingredients.

They'd bought a big pack of the absolute cheapest frozen chicken breasts you could find and threw them in. The smell of it filled the whole place, and it still haunts me, it was like burnt plastic. I refused to try it or take it home, and it took me a good 10+ years to trust stir-fry. I never really ate chicken again.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

perepelki posted:

i would kill a man to taste a fluffy bunnies (tm) free-range chicken

you can take a side of lamb at the same time, too.

Nettle Soup posted:

When I was in highschool we had a cooking lesson where we a made stir-fry. It was a special school with only 30-odd students, so it was all open-plan and the school provided the ingredients.

They'd bought a big pack of the absolute cheapest frozen chicken breasts you could find and threw them in. The smell of it filled the whole place, and it still haunts me, it was like burnt plastic. I refused to try it or take it home, and it took me a good 10+ years to trust stir-fry. I never really ate chicken again.

I mean, that might be because of their lovely cookware, too.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Man, you'd have to try really hard to gently caress up stir-fry that bad. Stir-fry is usually the one thing people who "don't really cook" can still manage.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Did they just throw whole frozen chicken breasts in the wok? I can see that.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

BHB posted:

got some bedtime pics:

good birds:

:kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Imagined posted:

'Woody breast syndrome' sure has ruined most mass market chicken for me in the last few years.

Ugh, so true. This past year it's become more common. My wife refuses to eat it, the texture grosses her out, and I'm not a huge fan either. It's also so random. Two breasts from the same package, one can be fine, the other woody.

I even went to a high end, fancy store and got their antibiotic free breasts, and one turned out to be woody.

The worst part is there's no real way to tell until it's cooked. So you take a bite that smells great and then - crunchy texture. Then the meal is pretty much wasted. I'll eat it, but won't enjoy it. My wife forages in the kitchen and looks sad.