Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Halloween is the lamest holiday, like worse than arbor day. You get annoying kids at your door, and the adults way into Halloween are always weird as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And you don't even get the drat thing off so what the hell is the point.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

Halloween is the lamest holiday, like worse than arbor day. You get annoying kids at your door, and the adults way into Halloween are always weird as hell.

The adults who are way into Halloween are worse than the adults who are way into Christmas, which is an achievement

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

truly scandalous

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gaius Marius posted:

And you don't even get the drat thing off so what the hell is the point.

Sometimes people enjoy playing dress up and the changing of seasons. You don't get easter off either.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Most people in the US get Easter off. If they're following the wrong calendar at least

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gaius Marius posted:

Most people in the US get Easter off. If they're following the wrong calendar at least

Seriously? Why?

Also halloween is fun precisely because it is not a religious holiday. It's one that is entirely secular and a little odd, and people who define themselves in that way are more likely to enjoy it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I enjoy all holidays because I don't have to work and can do whatever

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

Seriously? Why?

Also halloween is fun precisely because it is not a religious holiday. It's one that is entirely secular and a little odd, and people who define themselves in that way are more likely to enjoy it.

Because Christianity is the largest religion in the US, and it’s the most important day of the year in Christianity.

Anyways Halloween isn’t necessarily secular, it arose out of the Christian tradition of All Hallows’ Eve, the day before All Hallows’ Day, the day you celebrate all the dead saints. This is me being a pedant, mind you, not me disagreeing that modern Halloween is largely secular.

At the Barnes and Noble I work at we have a table of books labeled “Witchtok”, selling goods that were highlighted on witch-themed Tiktoks so I don’t think that that part of the community is being particularly underserved

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Halloween parties (ie. an excuse to have a fancy-dress party even though it's not anyone's birthday) are fine. Dressing up and getting together with friends is fun for all ages.

But trick-or-treating is obnoxious bullshit and I cannot comprehend why anyone is trying to get it to take off in this country. It's still completely ignorable at this stage (at least if you don't have kids), but it does seem to get more and more popular every year.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Halloween's one of the last major holidays that's just about enjoying yourself. For a lot of people Easter/Christmas/Thanksgiving/etc are more obligation than anything else.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Halloween should be a paid day off.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Hard to imagine doing halloween right without the west hollywood parade. Hopefully in the future (lmao) Halloween is more about block parties and less about trick or treating and cosplay

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm kind of with the Dead Kennedys in thinking that if October 31st is the only day you dress interestingly or watch horror movies all night, you're a boring gently caress. Just be goth.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I dunno, people who dress like cartoon characters all the time tend to talk about themselves and their brain problems a lot and that is extremely boring

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Halloween is religious for social media witches and there's lots of those.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Most people get Easter off because it’s on a Sunday.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Most people get Easter off because it’s on a Sunday.

Easter is multiple days. At least Friday through to Tuesday.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

I dunno, people who dress like cartoon characters all the time tend to talk about themselves and their brain problems a lot and that is extremely boring

Truth

Also, adults super into Halloween may be weird, but in a good way. Now adults who are into Disney, those are the ones to sever from your life and never think about again

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

hawowanlawow posted:

There's usually (in non covid times) cons or club nights or festivals you can do this stuff on though.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Anyone into horses are far and away the weirdest people. I suspect that's been true for millennia.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At least as far back as 18th century Russia.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Robobot posted:

Anyone into horses are far and away the weirdest people. I suspect that's been true for millennia.

I work with a girl who collects funko pops, loves the nightmare before Christmas including several tattoos from it, and wants horses. She's really nice but drat my brain just locked up when she started showing me her stock market funko pop value tracking app.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Until theres halloween music being played in every store for an entire loving month, it is incomparable to christmas.

Christmas is a garbage holiday. It consumes a third of the year, is just a celebration of capitalism, and brings out the worst in people.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Khizan posted:

Halloween's one of the last major holidays that's just about enjoying yourself. For a lot of people Easter/Christmas/Thanksgiving/etc are more obligation than anything else.

As a kid, you get to dress up, run around screaming, and get candy
As a teen, you get to dress up, run around screaming, and get drunk while adults are watching the kids
As an adult, you get to dress up, and party with your friends, and get candy the next day (either stolen from your kids, or bought on clearance)

People who don't like halloween are people who don't enjoy having fun

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

We must strengthen Halloween as the only bulwark against the encroachment of the hated christmas.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Byzantine posted:

We must strengthen Halloween as the only bulwark against the encroachment of the hated christmas.

It is genuinely annoying how early Christmas stuff starts showing up, and most of that can be blamed on how weak Thanksgiving is as a holiday. In order to contain Christmas, we must strengthen Thanksgiving.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gripweed posted:

It is genuinely annoying how early Christmas stuff starts showing up, and most of that can be blamed on how weak Thanksgiving is as a holiday. In order to contain Christmas, we must strengthen Thanksgiving.

At least you americans have a late thanksgiving. Ours is mid october, and xmas starts the next day

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Thanksgiving was created by Lincoln to celebrate that the North was prosperous even in the middle of the Civil War, so I suggest rebranding it as a "gently caress the confederacy" holiday.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Halloween started September 1st this year.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Byzantine posted:

I'm still fighting at the Thanksgiving Line and hoo boy I'm loving behind enemy lines.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sweevo posted:

PHUO: There is too much Christmas.

Once every 2-3 years would be better.

I stand by my earlier statement.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

That would inevitably lead to an entire year of Christmas.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Make the fabled War On Christmas real. Jets will carpet bomb stores that play xmas music before december 10th. People who say "uhh its merry christmas not happy holidays" get taken out by snipers. Military checkpoints to make sure people aren't spending absurd amounts of money on gifts nobody actually wants.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Aramek posted:

I'm still fighting at the Thanksgiving Line and hoo boy I'm loving behind enemy lines.

I'm telling you, we need to make Thanksgiving more of an event that people look forward to, less a familial obligation. I'm not sure how, maybe bring in some elements from other holidays that people love, like slutty costumes from Halloween, Easter Egg hunts, and 4th of July fireworks. Get all three of those in one holiday, people would be a lot more excited for Thanksgiving.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. A big potluck with friends, visit the families for more food, gain twelve pounds. Easily the most enjoyable holiday

Christmas as an event sucks so bad. Spend a thousand bucks on gifts, get like three generic man gifts in return. loving blows

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

Because Christianity is the largest religion in the US, and it’s the most important day of the year in Christianity.

That isn't a reason.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. A big potluck with friends

My family called this "Orphan's Thanksgiving" and they are 100x better.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Make the fabled War On Christmas real. Jets will carpet bomb stores that play xmas music before december 10th. People who say "uhh its merry christmas not happy holidays" get taken out by snipers. Military checkpoints to make sure people aren't spending absurd amounts of money on gifts nobody actually wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's also not the most important day of the year in Christianity, that's Easter