Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've had an issue with certain youtube videos playing normally on the app before the screen does this:

It's not every youtube video, but it's definitely more prevalent in recent uploads so I don't know if it's an issue with the awful app or if it's on the YouTube end not playing nice with links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

are you sure you're on ios

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

b_d posted:

This, but also that picture makes me think "hardware issue" first and foremost. Good luck with whatever's causing it!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
my friends android phone just started doing that also, and he isn't a member here so it's unrelated to the forums.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

b_d posted:

Whoops, wrong Awful App thread. Saw the first, not the second part.

`Nemesis posted:

my friends android phone just started doing that also, and he isn't a member here so it's unrelated to the forums.

Okay, maybe it's an android issue with embedding youtube videos then.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

That looks like an annoying issue.

Since it’s android, maybe you need to install an xvid codec or something :v:

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

So beta people… did that fix help?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It did! Thank you!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Ship it!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
ios 15
IPhone 12 Pro
OLED Dark mode

Scroll bar is invisible when reading threads. It is visible when scrolling forum and thread lists.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zero One posted:

ios 15
IPhone 12 Pro
OLED Dark mode

Scroll bar is invisible when reading threads. It is visible when scrolling forum and thread lists.

Haha it is!

I wouldn’t even have noticed it if you didn’t point it out.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

yeah, i think that's an ios 15 thing we'll have to wait to get fixed.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/689654

will of course try something if i have any ideas, but i think we'll be waiting for this one to self resolve

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

Posting from my iphone and I have an ongoing issue where my apostrophes don’t always make it into my post, and of course they will when I make this post lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ios15, iPhone 12

youtube videos start playing if i touch them at all even as part of a scrolling motion. this only became an issue after the ios update

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

jesus WEP posted:

ios15, iPhone 12

youtube videos start playing if i touch them at all even as part of a scrolling motion. this only became an issue after the ios update

I think this is a youtube change because it’s been happening to me for the past couple days, and I haven’t updated from 14.8 yet.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So is this thing where if you do so much as breathe on a YT video it starts playing new? Because if so it’s annoying as hell.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What’s the deal with YouTube videos?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

So is this thing where if you do so much as breathe on a YT video it starts playing new? Because if so it’s annoying as hell.

Yup. I don’t think it’s an app thing. It seems like a youtube change.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's been going on for a few weeks now but it's not a new thing, I've had it before. It's Youtube doing some poo poo. At least it doesn't auto-fullscreen the videos, you just have to be quick about pausing it and occasionally clear your watch history depending on the thread you're browsing or risk getting some bad recommendations. Well, worse than what Youtube's algorithm already gives you no matter what you watch.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

There’s a fix in beta atm

scroll up for details

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yup. I don’t think it’s an app thing. It seems like a youtube change.

Fuckers probably did it to increase clicks

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did anyone else’s shortcut break with iOS 15? It seems to upload just fine but it won’t let me paste into the app.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yeah the YouTube thing seems to be happening system wide on my iPhone. A lot of my safari embeds are now doing the same thing.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a way to sort bookmarks by least read threads? Or what’s the intent behind “Sort unread bookmarks first”?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

It drops all the 0 new post threads away so you don’t have to deal with them.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Did anyone else’s shortcut break with iOS 15? It seems to upload just fine but it won’t let me paste into the app.

Oh god I thought I was losing my mind.

What’s a decent workaround?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Stare-Out posted:

It's been going on for a few weeks now but it's not a new thing, I've had it before. It's Youtube doing some poo poo. At least it doesn't auto-fullscreen the videos, you just have to be quick about pausing it and occasionally clear your watch history depending on the thread you're browsing or risk getting some bad recommendations. Well, worse than what Youtube's algorithm already gives you no matter what you watch.

As far as I can tell, embedded / linked videos don't affect recommendations. I could be wrong, just never have had something pop up that seemed related to random goon links, etc.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Charles posted:

As far as I can tell, embedded / linked videos don't affect recommendations. I could be wrong, just never have had something pop up that seemed related to random goon links, etc.

They definitely show up in my history, but if they don't mess with the algorithm then that's good.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Stare-Out posted:

They definitely show up in my history, but if they don't mess with the algorithm then that's good.

Weird, YouTube links I watch in AwfulApp never show up in my YouTube history. I’ll intentionally open some videos in YouTube solely to get them in my history so I can watch them later without having to dig through a thread or find a specific post.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just checked and you're right! That's weird, I'm sure I had to clear some videos out of my watch history not that long ago after watching them in Awful. On the site, too, not on Youtube. Either way, that's a relief.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i don't know if it is, but that sounds like something that could be a privacy toggle buried in the youtube/google settings

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i don't know if it is, but that sounds like something that could be a privacy toggle buried in the youtube/google settings

I did clear my cookies recently and re-did some Youtube settings so maybe it's that? Also I uninstalled the Youtube app on my iPhone a few days ago - not that it ever activated while I was using Awful unless I tapped on the video title to watch on Youtube which I very rarely did, and never on videos I accidentally played while scrolling which did wind up in my watch history.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I found a fix for the dark scroll thumb in ios 15 issue :toot:

also, regarding youtubescrollgate, pokeyman let me know that the app does actually have an "awful" custom user agent. it wasn't being used in the webview, just for network requests. i tried using the Awful one in the webview and it also seems to resolve the scrolling playback issue!

so that's a better outcome and now jeffrey's metrics will be even more accurate

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

commie kong posted:

also, regarding youtubescrollgate, pokeyman let me know that the app does actually have an "awful" custom user agent. it wasn't being used in the webview, just for network requests. i tried using the Awful one in the webview and it also seems to resolve the scrolling playback issue!

Rad, thanks!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Countdown to every browser manufacturer putting "Awful" in their user-agent string

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

commie kong posted:

:hellyeah::woop:

Data Graham posted:

Countdown to every browser manufacturer putting "Awful" in their user-agent string
:burger:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

commie kong posted:

Hold up, so Jeffery will have data on how often I’m hanging out in the animal husbandry thread?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Now he won’t get html requests from awful app but image requests from macOS chrome :v:

and that one awfulapp user is pulling images from the animal husbandry thread

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hey, is there an alternative to the iOS shortcut for images? I really miss being able to add images, and imgur is a loving nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teen witch posted:

Hey, is there an alternative to the iOS shortcut for images? I really miss being able to add images, and imgur is a loving nightmare

Need the same.