Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zeruel posted:

Anima will be his familiar.

Honestly "Anima is Zenos' angry voidsent minion" makes a shitton of sense with the Seymour parallels.

Dude died and came back to life and killed his own dad. Might as well go all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zeruel posted:

Anima will be his familiar.

I can't remember if they said she'd be a primal or not but that's a good call if she isn't

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I still think Anima is a Beast of the End and that its appearance in FFX is what initially inspired them in Shadowbringers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Regy Rusty posted:

I still think Anima is a Beast of the End and that its appearance in FFX is what initially inspired them in Shadowbringers.

I'm hoping Anima's boss title card is The Final Beast just for that nice symmetry.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm hoping Anima's boss title card is The Final Beast just for that nice symmetry.

:hmmyes:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gateway of the Gods let's fukkin Chains of Promantha this poo poo

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ibblebibble posted:

Gateway of the Gods let's fukkin Chains of Promantha this poo poo

Have you looked at the Job Abilities video? There's a Thinker in there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bruceski posted:

Can you explain why that is important for people who haven't played FFXI?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's an enemy model from FF11. it almost certainly does not carry the same implications as it did there.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I did see that, yeah. I didn't play FFXI during its heyday, I got into it during ShB leadup lull and play it whenever I'm bored, but I was playing through CoP when 5.5 dropped and I was like "THEY SAID THE PHRASE"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cleretic posted:

Can you explain why that is important for people who haven't played FFXI?

Thinker was one of the enemies in Promyvion, which was the "left scars" portion of Chains of Promathia. Level 30 downranked zones and in FF11 gear didn't rank down with you it just became unequipable. So you had to get a new set of level 30 gear, farm up some materials that were like the Eureka/Bozja sorts of drops (though instead of extra abilities they'd do things like massively debuff the boss). Then it came time to actually tackle the zone, because you wouldn't do the farming at the same time as the progression. Gray maze landscape full of gray enemies, some of them aggroed to sound, some to sight, and you didn't want to fight anything you didn't have to. It took 18 (or 12 if you were feeling spicy) people to get to the end, but the boss was actually fought with a party of 6. So you form your 6, then find two other parties, get to the end, figure out how to split up without kicking the wrong people, and hope you could actually beat the boss who wasn't a pushover (mainly because people tried to farm as little as possible for the debuff mats).

And then once you did that there were two more before you could go to the next step.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Playing through heroes gamlyt again and it's pretty cool the bosses were classes we're never going to see(thief, necromancer, and berserker)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Playing through heroes gamlyt again and it's pretty cool the bosses were classes we're never going to see(thief, necromancer, and berserker)

It was simultaneously hilarious, sad, and frustrating to see people who completely misunderstood (or ignored) that boss theme, and decided it meant Necromancer was coming in the next expansion.

Nobody ever read it as proof of Thief or Berserker. Only Necromancer.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

It was simultaneously hilarious, sad, and frustrating to see people who completely misunderstood (or ignored) that boss theme, and decided it meant Necromancer was coming in the next expansion.

yea like I get it was the outlier but...yea when the other two bosses are literally just different flavors of our classes wouldn't the logical assumption be 'ah, these are jobs from other realities, similar to ours but unique' and not 'well clearly this is code'?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Thinker was one of the enemies in Promyvion, which was the "left scars" portion of Chains of Promathia. Level 30 downranked zones and in FF11 gear didn't rank down with you it just became unequipable. So you had to get a new set of level 30 gear, farm up some materials that were like the Eureka/Bozja sorts of drops (though instead of extra abilities they'd do things like massively debuff the boss). Then it came time to actually tackle the zone, because you wouldn't do the farming at the same time as the progression. Gray maze landscape full of gray enemies, some of them aggroed to sound, some to sight, and you didn't want to fight anything you didn't have to. It took 18 (or 12 if you were feeling spicy) people to get to the end, but the boss was actually fought with a party of 6. So you form your 6, then find two other parties, get to the end, figure out how to split up without kicking the wrong people, and hope you could actually beat the boss who wasn't a pushover (mainly because people tried to farm as little as possible for the debuff mats).

And then once you did that there were two more before you could go to the next step.

One of like 3 pics i've managed to hang onto from FFXI over the years

promyvion.jpg

Too bad i missed capturing whatever monster it was that wiped us. Prommy was cool and spooky and i actually have pretty fond memories of farming up all the items and doing them with the LS.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

If only I remembered my login to my ancient photobucket account... my trove of XI pics...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cleretic posted:

It's cuz she was hot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
god I miss how actively spiteful some of XI's design was, just Square very overtly telling you 'gently caress you for playing this'.

It was a fun time.

Plus I'd give loving anything for ninja tanks in FF14, or some kind of similar evasion/trickery based tank.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
so there isn't like a lore implication to the thinker, it's just similar to crab memes?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

so there isn't like a lore implication to the thinker, it's just similar to crab memes?

It's a beast made of nothingness from a zone of Emptyness Encroaching On Reality

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mister Olympus posted:

in 11? It's part of a breed of enemies that are literal manifestations of the concept of nothingness and entropy as their 'home' world slowly begins to feed on ours.

In 14? Probably just gonna be a cool looking voidy-boi.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

god I miss how actively spiteful some of XI's design was, just Square very overtly telling you 'gently caress you for playing this'.

It was a fun time.

Plus I'd give loving anything for ninja tanks in FF14, or some kind of similar evasion/trickery based tank.

Evasion tanks are basically impossible to balance so any evasion based tank would probably just have their cooldowns flavored as dodging and maybe a guaranteed evasion invuln, and honestly they would have to be pretty careful about that last one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I realize in that description they sound kinda the same but the CoP stuff was a lot more scary lorewise because there was no real elemental factor at play, it was just entropy given form that was slowly going to consume all of life until there was just nothing, no elemental cycle or rebirth as voidsent or anything just hollow death.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's a beast made of nothingness from a zone of Emptyness Encroaching On Reality

That sounds way more interesting than it probably was in XI or will be in XIV. I love surreal uncanny horror, that'd be perfect for it, but we're getting fire-and-brimstone and we're gonna like it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WrightOfWay posted:

Evasion tanks are basically impossible to balance so any evasion based tank would probably just have their cooldowns flavored as dodging and maybe a guaranteed evasion invuln, and honestly they would have to be pretty careful about that last one.

Yea you're right, but I still want it :qq:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

XIV devs have reused a shitload of XI mob models but yeah, this is them finally reusing one very specific very cool type of mob from a very thematically approriate (and again, cool) dungeon in XI. The thinker isn't even the coolest one

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I was excited when I saw their 'living weapon' models in ShB, I love those doofy lizards :neckbeard:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

You could probably get away something like a tank with multiple smaller damage reduction cds with a stance/button/buff that gives you guaranteed parry on them or a long CD dodge button and get the flavor of an evasion tank without the whole "Being unable to balance around average amount of hits evaded."

Basically a tank that loves to spam Shelltron a lot.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 23, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I could see an 'evasion' tank being kinda a self-shielding tank with parry boosts and their big emergency CD being some kind of 'for a very short window you auto dodge everything', but now I'm just spitballing because ninja tanking was one of 11's really clever things to set it apart.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

yea I was excited when I saw their 'living weapon' models in ShB, I love those doofy lizards :neckbeard:

Fun fact, in XI, Living Weapons were magically cursed kobolds.The Living Weapons in XIV are right outside one of the Mord towns :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chillgamesh posted:

Fun fact, in XI, Living Weapons were magically cursed kobolds.The Living Weapons in XIV are right outside one of the Mord towns :smith:

oh my god I forgot that!!! Noooooo!!! :smith:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Fun fact, 2.X Ninja did have a guaranteed evasion ability, Shadeshift. People were using it to trivialize certain mechanics so it got changed in HW to just being a 20% HP shield. It would probably be easier to deal with something like that as a tank invuln, since dodging is pretty similar to being invincible, but they would have to be careful with the mechanics such that dodged attacks still do the debuffs they are supposed to and so on.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Fun fact, 2.X Ninja did have a guaranteed evasion ability, Shadeshift. People were using it to trivialize certain mechanics so it got changed in HW to just being a 20% HP shield. It would probably be easier to deal with something like that as a tank invuln, since dodging is pretty similar to being invincible, but they would have to be careful with the mechanics such that dodged attacks still do the debuffs they are supposed to and so on.

It being their invuln with a slightly lower CD than the average invuln would fit perfect. Those exist to cheese 1 mechanic per CD already anyway.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

We already have thieves in the game. They're called rouges. It's much easier to justify a rouges guild than it is a thieves guild thematically.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr. Nice! posted:

We already have thieves in the game. They're called rouges. It's much easier to justify a rouges guild than it is a thieves guild thematically.

That's just RDM under French localization

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ninja/rogue already has a lot of the iconic ws and stuff from FFXI thief too. Ninja has sneak attack/trick attack, Gust Slash, Aeolian Edge was a thief aoe ws, Mug is an iconic thief ability they stole a lot. It's even weirder when samurai is faithful to XI's weapon skills, while the entire Blade:X line is forgotten.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am liking ninja a lot more than I remember though that may be related to the fact that they are more like a casting class that does some melee than a pure melee class now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

I am liking ninja a lot more than I remember though that may be related to the fact that they are more like a casting class that does some melee than a pure melee class now.

IIRC it was 5.1 that made a lot of smart changes to how Mudras worked and it made the job amazing to play

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

They just need to add in Utsusemi again: :unsmigghh:

though on a serious note I loved using the ninjutsu to go through the elemental wheel weaknesses and I'd love to see some class with a burst window that follows that pattern.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, and Warriors are just Berserkers with more mechanics than 'go'.

Bravely Default 2's Berserker job is basically FFXIV Warrior in turn-based form, which is pretty neat to play.