Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's a little weird how every time someone pops into the thread to ask if there's hope to do something about this everyone trips over each other to say "no" in their own way. You'd think once is enough but people really feel compelled to be the bearers of this bad news. I know I've done it but I'm not really sure why. It almost feels good to do it. Something's going on but maybe it's just that misery loves company.:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

it dont matter posted:

Doesn't matter, we would never take the necessary steps to fix it anyway.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/23/weather/lake-powell-power-generation-outlook/index.html

Weve known that this was going to happen for decades. We now know it will happen this decade.

From the article:
In 2025, the updated projections now show a 66% chance that Lake Mead could drop below the critical threshold of 1,025 feet above sea level. If water levels stay below that threshold, it would trigger deep water cuts, potentially affecting millions of people in California, Arizona, Nevada and Mexico.
There is also a greater than 1-in-5 chance that water levels in Lake Mead will fall below 1,000 feet above sea level in 2025. That is barely 100 feet above what is considered "dead pool," the level at which water can no longer flow through Hoover Dam.

That means tens of millions of people, most of the southwest, will experience severe power outages and infrastructure collapse. This is going to happen, and no one is doing anything about it right now. They literally know this is coming, and absolutely nothing is being done. We are completely and irrevocably hosed.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's a little weird how every time someone pops into the thread to ask if there's hope to do something about this everyone trips over each other to say "no" in their own way. You'd think once is enough but people really feel compelled to be the bearers of this bad news. I know I've done it but I'm not really sure why. It almost feels good to do it. Something's going on but maybe it's just that misery loves company.:shrug:

That's just conversation. Same thing happens of you ask [activity] thread about which [consumer product] to buy. Anyway there's always hope. Hope to hold you one more time. Hope to get one over on them, however small. We'll show the bastards yet

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

bad boys for life posted:

That means tens of millions of people, most of the southwest, will experience severe power outages and infrastructure collapse. This is going to happen, and no one is doing anything about it right now. They literally know this is coming, and absolutely nothing is being done. We are completely and irrevocably hosed.

yes but doing something about would probably mean someone becoming less rich or being forced to live a less luxurious life, so

I always get a moment where I feel untethered from reality whenever I read stuff like this and think about how we've gotten to this point.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i do it sometimes as a screening method, if someone ditches the thread immediately after 5 or 6 people chime in with "lol were hosed prepare ur skeleton for freedom" then they aren't hip enough for the thread where we joke about our looming extinction

it's like a secret club except the only thing keeping people out is their own fear and denial, and the club is unimaginably depressing

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

I correctly pointed out there's worthwhile work to be done, despite "no" and the futility of climate change efforts it's still important to rally the good people to become active participants (fighters, rather than victims) in the ongoing class war - which the working class finds itself on the precipice of losing totally. :mad:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
My friend the working class lost decades ago and really anything since then has just been hashing out the terms of our surrender.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Really? The working class lost decades ago? You're a slave now? If your boss tells you to suck his dick you have to do it, under threat of death?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You can go to the park, to the beach, you can use a road, you can receive pre-collegiate education, firefighters will douse your home, all for free! For free! Right now. Yes right now there are still public programs. Right now there are still public spaces. This is coming to an end. They will steal the world from you, your birthright, and charge you to rent a slice of it for an hour at a time.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are we at the "it's too late to do anything to stop it stage" or is there still hope?

It's too late to do anything, sure, but depending on where you live you could probably squeeze out a reasonably good couple decades. Maybe a whole lifetime if you get lucky with location and status. I'd say do your best to have as much personal enjoyment as you can, while you can.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Personally, I get enjoyment from posting, and will keep posting until I get taken to the camps.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Today in Ohio it's 50 degrees and beautiful. I'm sitting in the middle of a state park, there's not another person in sight, and the sound of the trees is incredible. Everything is really green and lush after 2 days of heavy rain.

I'm going to hold on to this feeling, because it's almost over.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are we at the "it's too late to do anything to stop it stage" or is there still hope?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OGMamnKQUA

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the people who instantly check out and resume living their day-to-day lives are the ones making the correct and rational personal choice

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I feel like the transition from "California is running out of water" to "California has run out of water" will be extremely abrupt and shocking. There will never be a time where a warning will be issued that in "X number of months the state of California expects that it will unable to provide drinking water for residents of X town - plan accordingly." One day people are just going to turn on the tap and nothing will come out and nobody will be there to take responsibility for it.

If that Cadillac Desert book people keep recommending in this thread is right then the transition is completely predictable 30 or 40 years in advance. It's just nobody will be paying attention to it.

Clicking through to the article and the links (don't bother reading tbh this is some boring poo poo)

quote:

Even landowners, irrigation districts and others with rights to water that predate state and federal water projects could see their water supplies squeezed next year, Nemeth said. These water users agreed in contracts decades ago to limit their water rights to allow construction of the massive projects, which transferred water south. Their allocations aren’t cut to the same extent as more junior contractors, such as the Metropolitan Water District.

“With hydrology this bad, everything’s on the table that we could cut them even deeper — even deeper than their contracts allow for,” Nemeth said. “I don’t think we get out of next year without a lawsuit.”

Already this summer, Central Valley irrigation districts and the city of San Francisco have sued the state over moves to stop them from diverting water from rivers and streams.

State and federal project operators have come under fire from environmental advocates for supplying hundreds of thousands of acre feet to these senior contractors, while failing to meet water quality standards and cutting allocations to more-junior agricultural contractors and cities.

Feather River Contractors, for instance, were allocated the lowest levels allowed in their contracts, but still were expected to receive nearly 600,000 acre feet of water, according to the Department of Water Resources — enough water to supply 1.8 million Southern California households for a year. That’s about three times more water than long-term State Water Project contractors, including the giant Metropolitan Water District, were provided.

California’s drought conditions and warming temperatures are threatening salmon and other rare fish.

For endangered Sacramento River winter-run Chinook salmon, “we’ve modeled the temperature dependent mortality at about 80% this year, meaning only 20% even survive to make it out of the gravel,” Barry Thom, West Coast regional administrator for NOAA Fisheries, told the water board.

Doug Obegi, a senior attorney with the Natural Resources Defense Council, urged the board on Tuesday to require state and federal water project operators to cut supplies to settlement contractors to protect fish.

If supplies aren’t reduced, “you’re going to have even worse temperature mortality of salmon next year,” Obegi told CalMatters. “You start with less water, and you have less at the end of the year, you’re going to have a lot more dead fish. It’s grim.”

Nemeth said she issued the early warning to prepare growers dependent on senior contracts well in advance of making planting decisions.

Last year, early planting by growers “really limited the amount of decisions we thought we could make without causing real economic damage,” Nemeth said. This year, “We want to alert them sooner that it could be worse than they’ve experienced before.”

It's the same poo poo that California has been at for 100 years now.

quote:

The district studied the construction of a permanent desalination plant at the same location in San Rafael in the 2000s. The plant would have been able to produce the equivalent of 60% of the district’s yearly potable water demand. The board shelved the project in 2010 in response to declining water use, which was the main driver behind the study.

The cost to build such a permanent plant now would be around $225 million and would take several years, Sellier said.

Setting up a desalination plant would require various approvals from state and local agencies within nine months. Staff said the district should be able to use its previous environmental studies

“We feel that we can accomplish those by July,” Sellier told the board.

Meanwhile, the district is negotiating with two Sacramento Valley water districts to purchase water for the pipeline project. The talks include the potential for 15,000 acre-feet of water from the Glenn-Colusa Irrigation District and 10,000 acre-feet from the Yuba Water Agency. Those agreements could come to the board as soon as the end of October or early November, according to Sellier.

The board is also set to consider a $7 million contract to authorize the full design of the pipeline project in early October.

Just California poo poo.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 14:33 on Sep 23, 2021

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

People are still debating what we should do to stop or prevent climate change as if it's something that will happen in the future, but the reality of the situation is that it's already mostly behind us. We failed to prevent it.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

The relevant questions to be asked are increasingly going to come from historians, and instead of something like "what should we do" they'll be along the lines of "what did we do?"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
What have we done? :negative:

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Good news, the Great Awakening has happened. Everyone will care now.

https://twitter.com/jimmykimmellive/status/1440887198618771464?s=21

https://twitter.com/thedailyshow/status/1440873558775840770?s=12

https://twitter.com/latelateshow/status/1440900777132789762?s=21

https://twitter.com/jimmykimmellive/status/1440875049733419011?s=21

https://twitter.com/fullfrontalsamb/status/1440866367994007552?s=21

https://twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/1440891843911110661?s=12

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RIP Syndrome posted:

People are still debating what we should do to stop or prevent climate change as if it's something that will happen in the future, but the reality of the situation is that it's already mostly behind us. We failed to prevent it.

18 years and 11 months since this Kreider cartoon was printed on October 23, 2002

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

bowser posted:

https://youtu.be/ZyhrYis509A

Life in plastic - It's fantastic!

https://twitter.com/cleanairmoms/status/1440980878012911616?s=21

https://twitter.com/ajenglish/status/1437630955456454659?s=21

I realize these pledges are largely useless but it sounds like they're trying to at least delay the hot house earth scenario a bit... or in other words maintain the status quo for regular old CO2 for longer.

Yeah, there's definitely a messaging shift to "maybe we can cut methane emissions and pretend we're doing something, will that get people to shut up for a while?"

The problem is that a 30% reduction in methane over 10 years is pretty lol and absolutely not the kind of mitigation that would be required to even pretend that we can continue emitting CO2 for a little while longer.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i say we give in to the doom

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

we intend to move the 2nd derivative to a slightly negative number so the first derivative will slowly start to drop. by 2030.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
also, and this is really important so don't forget it, they're not actually going to do loving poo poo to stop methane emissions, even the low hanging fruit anthropogenic ones

i've posted this before but XTO energy had a well blowout in Ohio or Pennsylvania and, well....

https://www.theintelligencer.net/news/top-headlines/2019/12/study-2018-powhatan-methane-leak-one-of-the-largest-in-u-s/

quote:

The report estimates that the damaged well leaked methane at a rate of 80 tons an hour for nearly 20 days. That amounts to more methane than is released by the entire countries of France, Norway and the Netherlands in a typical year.

lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Here we go! Get ready for the fascism, baby! I forget which country recently put in a proposal to limit driving to 3,000km per year and then you need to pay for every mile above that. It's a farce, dummies. Money will buy you out of any responsibility and the ruling class will do nothing whatsoever to curb emissions while they demand and force you to tamp down your pathetically small contributions to the crisis (relative to the policies and industries and war they maintain and create). They don't really give a gently caress about your emissions but it's useful to make you a slave, eh?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
oh yeah so there's this stuff called 'methane' and its really bad. we're gonna stop it by, uh, feeding cows seaweed? or algae or some poo poo. we don't know. the scientists are working on it. don't worry. oh, no you can still keep eating beef. definitely. definitely don't stop eating beef, that would hurt the cattle ranchers.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

bad boys for life posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/23/weather/lake-powell-power-generation-outlook/index.html

Weve known that this was going to happen for decades. We now know it will happen this decade.

From the article:
In 2025, the updated projections now show a 66% chance that Lake Mead could drop below the critical threshold of 1,025 feet above sea level. If water levels stay below that threshold, it would trigger deep water cuts, potentially affecting millions of people in California, Arizona, Nevada and Mexico.
There is also a greater than 1-in-5 chance that water levels in Lake Mead will fall below 1,000 feet above sea level in 2025. That is barely 100 feet above what is considered "dead pool," the level at which water can no longer flow through Hoover Dam.

I'm not going to lie, my greatest fear for the 2030's is that the western USA collapses before automotive fuel infrastructure does, and large waves of desperate Americans are able to make their way to northern BC instead of stalling out in the interior when they run out of fuel...

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

:mood: as the news come in

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Excuse but you're going to have to bleep out all those f-bombs in your message of impending doom or we just can't put it out there. This is a family late night show.

We're such loving weird animal.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Minrad posted:

genuinely sitting in my work office trying to avoid snickering and laughing because of this post

Someone should post an actuarial table for civilization so I know exactly when I should stop caring about tps reports and I can coast off my savings for the rest of my life

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Blockade posted:

Someone should post an actuarial table for civilization so I know exactly when I should stop caring about tps reports and I can coast off my savings for the rest of my life

agreed

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Blockade posted:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CODChimera posted:

i say we give in to the doom

The end of doctor Strangelove, only instead of the generals continuing to general and the spies continuing to spy, they all just lie down and mumble drearily

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

good poo poo. thank you! going in with that 4DEGREES song

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I gave into the doom a while ago.

I just don't like it when people try to gaslight me into thinking "maybe not doom"

Anyway it feels great in general. I don't fret the small poo poo anymore. I'll get like a 5 second static noise in my head when I realize yet another thing is a lie (tetra pak recycling for example) but then I move on.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

This thread will accept people who are in stages 1 (denial-though, stay in the thread and you wont be there long), 2 (anger), 4 (depression), 5 (acceptance) or 6 (meaning)...... but absolutely will not entertain the bullshit involved in stage 3 (bargaining).

Nature Abhors a Dome

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CopbQ_QgmM&t=295s

the rest of the video was enjoyable too but Sir David Attenboroughs message really needs to be heard

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
a bloo bloo someone should post the actuarial table for when we'll have blocked up the hosts lungs and liver so i can know when to stop working so hard

shut up, we all have to keep working as hard as we can to kill this fucker and your contribution is important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

I gave into the doom a while ago.

I just don't like it when people try to gaslight me into thinking "maybe not doom"

Anyway it feels great in general. I don't fret the small poo poo anymore. I'll get like a 5 second static noise in my head when I realize yet another thing is a lie (tetra pak recycling for example) but then I move on.

for anyone who doesn't know: https://mashable.com/article/tetra-pak-recycle