Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Anyway, map tax:

Europe goes "NA NA NA NA NA NA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It's a legitimate technology with plenty of uses, but over the years, owning the libs has become seemingly equally important of a motivation as electricity.

Online proponents of small modular reactors (SMR) in particular are nearly as insufferable as buttcoin enthusiasts.

Anyway, map tax:

The missing border between Kazakhstan and Russia is a nice touch.

Also a big fan of Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, and two Yemens on a map supposed to be of the world in 2010.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Anyway, map tax:

Now I better understand France's involvement in sub-saharan Africa

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Chikimiki posted:

I've never understood the internet's obsession with nuclear power... Sure, coal is crap but why invest billions in a complicated and potentially dangerous technology when you have solar, wind, water and others that are much easier and safer?
For starters, they aren't.

Economic Analysis of Various Options of Electricity Generation – Taking into Account Health and Environmental Effects - Starfelt & Wikdah

They're all way down at the bottom compared to burning poo poo, but nuclear has the slight edge on wind and hydro at the downside of being more expensive, and the alternative during low wind low sun days is either massive storage or (as the UK is doing right now because of a series of fuckups) turning the coal back on, which is orders of magnitude more environmentally and occupationally harmful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
New balkanization map just dropped.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Platystemon posted:

We’ve been doing it right since the eighties.

You store it in a pool near the reactor till the daughter products cool down substantially, then you move it to dry casks (typically on site), then preferably you move it to deep geological repository.

Too bad the "deep geological repository" does not exist in Germany. There is a growing mountain of toxic sludges and waste of varying spiciness accumulating with absolutely no long term storage solution whatsoever. Naturally, after all profit has been extracted the waste is now the public's problem. Specifically, the future public's problem.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Reveilled posted:

Also a big fan of Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, and two Yemens on a map supposed to be of the world in 2010.

I was trying to figure out what that map must have been made for, but it must have been made for an alternate universe. N&S Yemen officially merged on 22 May 1990, but Belarus wasn't independent until August 25 1991, and Tajikistan is still part of the USSR, so pre-Sept 9 1991. Even if they're using other dates, Belarus didn't declare independence until 27 July 1990, so there's still a 3 month gap between after Yemen fully merged and before Belarus declared independence.

Best as I could tell it's from late August 1991 + someone forgot about Yemen. Although with a map so grossly out of date it makes me skeptical that the rest of their data is accurate.

It's also a rare world map that has New Zealand but has almost entirely purged Australia.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It's a legitimate technology with plenty of uses, but over the years, owning the libs has become seemingly equally important of a motivation as electricity.

Online proponents of small modular reactors (SMR) in particular are nearly as insufferable as buttcoin enthusiasts.

Anyway, map tax:

Is Uzbekistan tapped out? They used to have a massive mine.
e: Nevermind there it is

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"The background world map is adapted from a clipart (c) Corel Corp. 1997. It may neither be saved nor downloaded and is only to be used for viewing purposes. The borders are shown for orientation purposes only and are somewhat outdated." It's one guy, and this is the best map he could find in 1997 (and has been using it since)

Check out the straight-from-1995 website, it's very charming.
https://www.wise-uranium.org

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Antigravitas posted:

Too bad the "deep geological repository" does not exist in Germany.

That's your government's fault, not a flaw in nuclear power generation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"Nuclear power would work, but only if you kept all the people in charge from meddling with it, forever" isn't a sell, it's exactly the problem with nuclear power

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 23, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

"Nuclear power would work, but only if you kept all the people in charge from meddling with it, forever" isn't a sell, it's exactly the problem with nuclear power

It is the problem with any power.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chikimiki posted:

I've never understood the internet's obsession with nuclear power... Sure, coal is crap but why invest billions in a complicated and potentially dangerous technology when you have solar, wind, water and others that are much easier and safer?

It's because so much of the opposition to it seems to be irrational and based on a poor understanding of statistics/a pop culture view of radioactivity. Of course Internet guys love it when they get to go 'actually...'

If there actually are better alternatives nowadays, I'm all for phasing out nuclear power plants, just not to replace them with coal plants or something else that is much worse

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I think I saw somewhere being said that nuclear and renewables should work hand in hand to phase out fossil fuels, and then as renewables become more and more efficient, nuclear would be phased out. Because nuclear accidents tend to make the area they happen in uninhabitable by humans, while thermal plants make the whole world uninhabitable by humans when working as designed.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They might be dinosaurs, but they are hardly responsible for the geological makeup of central Europe. And it seems not to be an exclusive German problem, as only 19 of the 41 countries using nuclear energy have found a long-term storage for low- and medium-radioactive waste.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Chikimiki posted:

Because most renewables have intermittence and short term scalability problems.

Solar makes as much energy as it's going to make, regardless of demand.
Wind makes as much energy as it's going to make, regardless of demand.
Tidal makes as much energy as it's going to make, regardless of demand.

All three are variable on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis. Solar and wind have significant unpredictability on top of that more predictable variability. The vagaries of this supply do not match up with the vagaries of demand.

Other renewable sources of power like hydro-electric or geothermal are far more predictable, and often more instantaneously scalable, but they also rely on specific geological conditions which are not available everywhere.

Until battery tech makes several generational leaps there is simply no way to manage even the smartest of smart power grids using renewable energy alone.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also hydro is terrible for the riverine environment, and if you compare the deadliest single hydro disasters to the deadliest single nuclear disasters it doesn't look too good either.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have no idea how to interpret this other than that Germany's geological makeup is the government's fault, which…yeah, I guess. Which direction should Germany expand to acquire land that has geological formations that are stable long-term and don't immediately start flooding or deforming?

Phlegmish posted:

If there actually are better alternatives nowadays, I'm all for phasing out nuclear power plants, just not to replace them with coal plants or something else that is much worse

There's potential for 2900 TWh/a of wind on shore alone, already excluding all areas around settlements, forests and so on.

Total production (all sources) hovers around 600 to 650 TWh/a.

The thing is, it needs to actually be done. But doing things is unpopular because it means more transit needs to be built to connect grids with stronger links to move power where it is needed. Especially North/South links to Norwegian and Swedish hydro (Germany has some, but not much), and southern solar. They are needed because wind is intermittent.

And lots of NIMBYs don't want any kind of electricity generation or transit (see Bavaria, they don't want wind, nuclear, hydro, coal, nuclear storage).

Map of on shore wind speed average at 80m:

Off shore potential is gigantic and mostly untapped:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Antigravitas posted:

There's potential for 2900 TWh/a of wind on shore alone, already excluding all areas around settlements, forests and so on.

Total production (all sources) hovers around 600 to 650 TWh/a.

The thing is, it needs to actually be done. But doing things is unpopular because it means more transit needs to be built to connect grids with stronger links to move power where it is needed. Especially North/South links to Norwegian and Swedish hydro (Germany has some, but not much), and southern solar. They are needed because wind is intermittent.
That still doesn't get us there, since only hydro is on-demand, and hydro can only cover an eighth to a sixth of European demand. And that's ignoring that it is a battery, meaning trying to supply more of Europe drains it faster. Incidentally, climate change also fucks with hydro, since it can cause the reservoirs to not fill up properly, making hydro not always on-demand. It simply can't power the south when the sun doesn't shine, for reasons of both scale and reliability (it needs to work every year, not just most years.

Total energy production is also a red herring until you've found some way storing it. If you decided to just not give a gently caress about the local environment, I suppose you could make gravity storage powered by excess solar, pumping Spanish valleys full of desalinated ocean water moving between a low and a high reservoir depending on demand, which is probably the most technologically feasible storage solution. Alternatively, using excess solar power to heat up great underground heat storage reservoirs, the energy from which can then be extracted at a significant loss with a geothermal plant.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Load all your low and medium radiological waste into lead lined train cars and winch them up hills for gravity storage.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Too bad the "deep geological repository" does not exist in Germany. There is a growing mountain of toxic sludges and waste of varying spiciness accumulating with absolutely no long term storage solution whatsoever. Naturally, after all profit has been extracted the waste is now the public's problem. Specifically, the future public's problem.

I thought Germany's long-term plan was just to forever sponge off of French nuclear power.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought Germany's long-term plan was just to forever sponge off of French nuclear power.

Hasn't their coal usage also gone up massively since they began phasing out nuclear?

It all just seems incredibly short sighted. Their Greens shout NUCLEAR BAD and start closing power plants, but with absolutely nothing lined up to replace them. So pollution levels actually just increase when coal/gas is used to pick up the slack.

In an ideal world like sure, everything would be renewable. But that doesn't give the baseline reliable power thats needed still, so with no nuclear it just goes back to gas/coal.

For the foreseeable future a mixture of nuclear and renewable seems the only real world option to provide reliability+capacity+minimum pollution.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Blut posted:

Hasn't their coal usage also gone up massively since they began phasing out nuclear?

It all just seems incredibly short sighted. Their Greens shout NUCLEAR BAD and start closing power plants, but with absolutely nothing lined up to replace them. So pollution levels actually just increase when coal/gas is used to pick up the slack.

In an ideal world like sure, everything would be renewable. But that doesn't give the baseline reliable power thats needed still, so with no nuclear it just goes back to gas/coal.

For the foreseeable future a mixture of nuclear and renewable seems the only real world option to provide reliability+capacity+minimum pollution.

Germany’s entire energy policy is completely insane and just shoveling money to Russia while tut tutting about killing EU citizens in EU soil but not too hard

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Load all your low and medium radiological waste into lead lined train cars and winch them up hills for gravity storage.

The African one seems weird to me.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Guavanaut posted:

The Pole finds it trivial to kill multiple animals with a single blow, mysteriously is unable to cook them but sequentially?

Numerical Anxiety fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 23, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The African one seems weird to me.

As they say, "many maps on one site"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Germany’s entire energy policy is completely insane and just shoveling money to Russia while tut tutting about killing EU citizens in EU soil but not too hard

Germany is really bad about understanding the global consequences of their own policies. It's why their position during the European debt crisis boiled down to "You all wouldn't be in debt if you were all net export economies like us."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

"Many maps on one site." - Via Getty

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Blut posted:

Pictured: Massive increase of coal usage.

Blut posted:

It all just seems incredibly short sighted. Their Greens shout NUCLEAR BAD and start closing power plants,

They set a future date for nuclear shutdown when they were the junior partner in a coalition government around the turn of the millennium with an exit about 20 years later.

Blut posted:

but with absolutely nothing lined up to replace them. So pollution levels actually just increase when coal/gas is used to pick up the slack.

They did, in fact, have a plan. However, you may have noticed that for the past 16 years Merkel has been the chancellor, and there has never been a green chancellor. Merkel is a conservative, the greens haven't been in government for 16 years.

Blut posted:

"Baseline" doesn't exist beyond the nuclear and fossil lobbies. You can actually look at demand curves, they fluctuate a lot, which nuclear can not service. What happens instead is that nuclear plants are subsidised to run even when energy prices are low, and renewables have to shut down to not overload the grid. This is done to insulate the private companies running those plants from market effects at the cost of the public.

Blut posted:

No. The only option is to go hard on a massive expansion of transit networks to connect to neighbouring countries and to stop kneecapping wind and solar. Nuclear is not economically viable and takes far too long to build. Even if you allowed new plants, none would be built.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Germany is a transit country, but has an overall export surplus. Which is helpful because France has an enormous electricity deficit when it gets too cold (electrical heating and bad insulation) or too hot.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Man, yanks are really upset Germany doesn't like being blackmailed to buy more expensive American LNG and disrupt its energy supply, aren't they. Perhaps if the USA was as reliable as Russia, they wouldn't have been rebutted.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm the many americans who know and care about german energy policy.

Guavanaut posted:

What black arts are the italians doing down there?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What black arts are the italians doing down there?
They'll have a lot of pidgeons with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's not so hard, it's a broad bean

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Antigravitas posted:

Pictured: Massive increase of coal usage.

Convenient cutoff of almost 3 years ago you've got there.

quote:

German emissions from electricity generation increased in the first half of 2021 by one-quarter, or 21 million tons, according to German think tank Agora Energiewende. Gas-fired power plants increased 15%, coal power plants by 36%, and hard coal power plants by 44%.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...-not-willpower/

Good thing they shut down all those non polluting nuclear power plants so they can increase the use of coal, probably the most environmentally damaging source of electricity possible, by 44% (!) eh?

edit, actually this is worth quoting too, just because it sums up the results of the madness of the German Green's anti nuclear policy perfectly. From the same article:

quote:

As a result, Germany’s renewables experiment is effectively over. By 2025 it will have spent $580 billion to make its electricity nearly twice as expensive and ten times more carbon-intensive than France’s.

Blut fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 23, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Antigravitas posted:

Man, yanks are really upset Germany doesn't like being blackmailed to buy more expensive American LNG and disrupt its energy supply, aren't they. Perhaps if the USA was as reliable as Russia, they wouldn't have been rebutted.

Russia can poison a few Czechs and down and hijack a few civilian aircraft without meaningful consequence as a treat

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 23, 2021

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Entschuldigung, ist hier der deutsche energie Lobbysten thread?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wind turbines look cool as gently caress and they could build one near me any time

I am an IMBY

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Nuclear is not economically viable and takes far too long to build. Even if you allowed new plants, none would be built.

I think this is a core issue that frequently gets overlooked. Plus that Europe currently doesn't have any experience in building modern-day nuclear power plants, it either has to train a new generation of nuclear engineers to do so or insource experienced engineers from China. The former takes too much time for nuclear to become a viable alternative even in a basket of renewables to push back coal, the latter would leave European power plants dependent on Chinese expertise and service contracts. Considering Russia already loves lording over its gas pipelines to try to bully Europe, China in that role would be much worse because they are also a net exporter of many goods European consumers like.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Europe currently doesn't have any experience in building modern-day nuclear power plants

Not true, Framatome has 15 years of experience building NPPs in Olkiluoto and Flamanville.

Experience in completing them, not so much.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Not true, Framatome has 15 years of experience building NPPs in Olkiluoto and Flamanville
and by gum, it put them on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

Wind turbines look cool as gently caress and they could build one near me any time

I am an IMBY

When I lived in Ontario, I was across from an island with a nimby windmill campaign to save the birds.

These people also refused a helipad or a bridge, so despite a hospital being literally on the waterfront on the mainland, if you had a heart attack you had to be evacuated by a loving boat.