Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Pasha posted:

Dumb question, but does the recommendation for the Pfizer booster dose only apply to people who had their primary vaccines from Pfizer, or is the recommendation that anyone who is in those high risk categories get the Pfizer booster dose (even if they received their primary vaccines from Moderna or Johnson and Johnson)?

Only Pfizer.

JJ should be cleared for a 2nd JJ dose soon.

SPIKEVAX is not being 3rd shotted as of yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Deviant posted:

vax cards folding out of my wallet like grandkid pictures

Oh word, you must play in the NFL.

Pet tax:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 23, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Professor Beetus posted:

Oh word, you must play in the NFL.

nah mine are all real

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

HelloSailorSign posted:

Only Pfizer.

Okay, thanks for the information!

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
FWIW we've been mixing mRNA vaccines pretty routinely in Canada. While supplies were low you generally didn't even get a choice of what your vaccine would be, even if it was a mismatch.

I think for our third doses mixing is allowed (although both Pfizer and Moderna are routinely available and approved for third doses so you'll almost always end up getting a matched vaccine). If getting a booster is really important to you, I'd say it's been shown to be a safe option (and from my understanding the vaccine records in the US aren't really looked up when being vaccinated so it sounds like it would be a possibility).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

enki42 posted:

FWIW we've been mixing mRNA vaccines pretty routinely in Canada. While supplies were low you generally didn't even get a choice of what your vaccine would be, even if it was a mismatch.

I think for our third doses mixing is allowed (although both Pfizer and Moderna are routinely available and approved for third doses so you'll almost always end up getting a matched vaccine). If getting a booster is really important to you, I'd say it's been shown to be a safe option (and from my understanding the vaccine records in the US aren't really looked up when being vaccinated so it sounds like it would be a possibility).

Yeah the data up here is indicating mixing Pfizer and Moderna had no real additional side effects and is at least as effective as getting the same shot.

The only wrinkle has been travel. A lot of countries weren't officially recognizing mixed doses as fully vaccinated for the purpose of skipping quarantine or whatever. That being said I know several people who have gone to like, Europe where it's not officially recognized, and the border/health officials not actually giving a poo poo in person but it could be a mild roll of the dice.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Suicides fell 32% in Canada during the first year of the pandemic: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-suicides-in-canada-fell-32-per-cent-in-first-year-of-pandemic-compared/

This was a big talking point in this thread last year, that we absolutely could not impose further NPIs or lockdowns because the mental health toll was far too great. Many posters went on about how suicide, etc. was a huge risk.

Well it turns out that was all bunk, surprise surprise.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah turns out the most cost-effective anti-suicide program is just giving people enough money to live

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Suicides fell 32% in Canada during the first year of the pandemic: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-suicides-in-canada-fell-32-per-cent-in-first-year-of-pandemic-compared/

This was a big talking point in this thread last year, that we absolutely could not impose further NPIs or lockdowns because the mental health toll was far too great. Many posters went on about how suicide, etc. was a huge risk.

Well it turns out that was all bunk, surprise surprise.

Similar effect in the US as a result of just a couple rounds of smaller checks too if I recall correctly. Reductions across the board except for the upper middle class levels of income.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Wasn’t the correlation of lower suicides related to relief checks sent out by the government, rent/mortgage moratoriums, etc?

Because, if so, that’s a pretty damning statement against capitalism.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Epic High Five posted:

It seems to be working out well enough so far, it's been an interesting experiment considering how much has changed over how much time since the old thread

Professor Beetus posted:

IK Warning: If you aren't posting sources and arguing with other folks who are, don't expect them to do your work for you. You want to put on adult pants and argue, better be prepared to back it up. This is not the moral superiority station, no one gives a poo poo that you think something should be done, we all do.

If there is someone who you absolutely cannot help but start attacking for dumb bullshit then put them on ignore and save us all some trouble. My general thread rule of treat each other like human beings is pretty loving easy to follow and yet some of you still can't seem to follow that.

Rosalind posted:

I have to say that this thread is a bit exhausting. It feels like any rational discourse is drowned out by people with extreme views. I totally get that this is an emotionally charged and scary topic, but it's tough to engage with this thread from a scientific background.

I'm going to step back again. If anyone has any specific and earnest epi questions, please feel free to PM me.

I would like to understand your criteria for "working out well enough".

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Pretty good article from WaPo about unvaccinated folks who actually want the vaccine:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/09/23/covid-unvaccinated-but-willing/ posted:

Barriers to getting the shot and information about the vaccines have hindered the “unvaccinated but willing,” who account for approximately 10 percent of the American population, according to a report last month by the Department of Health and Human Services. Unlike those who have declined vaccines, some vocally, because of their politics or ideology, a quieter share — about 44% of unvaccinated people — say they would get vaccinated but are on the fence for certain reasons. Some, like Orosco-Arellano, lack transportation or other means, while others wish to wait and see or don’t know coronavirus vaccines are free.

I don’t recall much support from the Biden administration on this front. I recall some discussion about using private companies like Uber and Lyft, but nothing about using something like the national guard to help put shots in arms or bring directly shots to local communities / businesses.

The EO did have, if I recall, an option to take time off of work and sick days, but that is only a start.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I would like to understand your criteria for "working out well enough".

The formerly threadbanned posters who have returned haven't really been posting above the general background level of agitation and abrasion, and have been heeding calls to reign it in when they're put out. Anybody who steps out of line enough for cat jail when something irl gets things heated up is dealt with regardless of previous thread status. Such is the nature of an amnesty, and it has been in the OP thread guidelines since day 1.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Pretty good article from WaPo about unvaccinated folks who actually want the vaccine:

I don’t recall much support from the Biden administration on this front. I recall some discussion about using private companies like Uber and Lyft, but nothing about using something like the national guard to help put shots in arms or bring directly shots to local communities / businesses.

The EO did have, if I recall, an option to take time off of work and sick days, but that is only a start.

Yes I believe part of the mandate was that employers also had to accommodate days off, and paid ones at that. I think it's still too soon for any data points on that, and efforts to advertise the vaccine and these benefits I can't speak on because I don't have cable or Facebook anymore. Seen some Twitch ads tho.

I've been a "send the national guard out to neighborhoods and set up tents" advocate since the start and don't really see anything else working for this group, but there's probably reluctance there regarding cranks shooting the place up or the guardsmen being armed in anticipation of this and discouraging attendance as a result. Also they're probably too busy driving school buses and staffing prisons at this point. The private-public pitches are usually city or state government level things, aka highly variable in scope and levels of graft

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Local health departments are handling that. It doesn't make much sense to mobilize an army of people to reach an individual person. Small businesses and communities are absolutely being reached.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm getting my first annual checkup/physical in 2 years next week and when I get the doc to examine some moles for possible cancer (already had one pre-cancerous melanoma carved out of my scalp a few years ago), I'm going to beg her for a Pfizer booster on the grounds that I live with a high risk immunocompromised type 1 diabetic that has asthma. If this doesn't work I'm just going to go to CVS and say it's my first jab because I can't lose her

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Another big complicating factor is the atomization that has taken place since the last time we did the whole NG goes around vaccinating everybody thing. It's really a lot easier when there are big places that are known community centers you can go to and eventually get some face time with pretty much everybody in the community, but that's not really a thing anymore. The modern equivalents of setting up at farmers markets or shopping centers are definitely good ideas but also far more exclusionary than would obviously be the ideal

Our local health department here, and shockingly even our state level one, has done a decent job at this but anything like that is going to be highly variable and if these communities are also ones largely ignored by their state governments it's still going to require SOME level of federal response if you're gonna get shots in those arms

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Disargeria posted:

Local health departments are handling that. It doesn't make much sense to mobilize an army of people to reach an individual person. Small businesses and communities are absolutely being reached.

Yup, my local County Public Health Department has gone to local small-time baseball games, agricultural worker locations, outlying towns, setting up in different locations in the different small towns and cities, etc., and even offer an in-home vaccination service for those who want it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Eagerly awaiting my J&J booster. I'm doing the right thing not adding mrna to the mix here right?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Ultimately it's a personal decision, but again, up here in Canada, mRNA and non-mRNA mixing was commonplace. Not J&J specifically though, I don't think that vaccine was ever rolled out at significant scale up here, but my understanding is it's fairly similar to Astro-Zeneca, which had a ton of mixing (a ton of people who had AZ as their first dose had mRNA as their second).

Same caveats apply in terms of whether that will be recognized as a valid vaccination (although you're "fully vaccinated" by most definitions so it may be less relevant).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

kiimo posted:

Eagerly awaiting my J&J booster. I'm doing the right thing not adding mrna to the mix here right?

Nobody knows one way or the other. Anywhere that is doing boosters as a matter of government policy has been doing a +1 of what you got before. Anything involving mixing them is either only being studied (countries with unreliable supplies did this for mRNA doses) or trialed.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Most people who kill themselves are men who do so out of financial reasons, so it makes sense the UBI reduces suicide

that said, mental health probably suffered immensely. So suicides will probably increase as people recover from the "Sleep all day" to the "do something about it" part of depression. There were a ton of other health impacts of the endless quasi "lockdown," including childhood obesity doubling, and 30-50k treatable cancers likely becoming terminal. The mental health system broke down completely too, so I don't think we should be using suicide as the one metric of public health damage.

Humans also like violence and destruction, so in general watching the bodies pile up also made people excited to see tomorrow.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 23, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

enki42 posted:

What's the third dose program look like in Canada, anyway? Are they doing third full-dose Modernas? Who is eligible?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Honestly if you're in the US an mRNA might be your only option for a booster or extended regime going forward in any case, we seem to have entirely moved on from J&J here and AZ was never really a thing

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

HelloSailorSign posted:

Only Pfizer.

My wife has Rheumatoid Arthritis and the meds she has to take for it qualified her for a 3rd shot and she had moderna spikevax as all 3 of her shots so some people are getting a third one of that variety as well.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Honestly if you're in the US an mRNA might be your only option for a booster or extended regime going forward in any case, we seem to have entirely moved on from J&J here and AZ was never really a thing

We have?

https://people.com/health/johnson-and-johnson-coronavirus-vaccine-increased-protection-with-booster/

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

enki42 posted:

Ultimately it's a personal decision, but again, up here in Canada, mRNA and non-mRNA mixing was commonplace. Not J&J specifically though, I don't think that vaccine was ever rolled out at significant scale up here, but my understanding is it's fairly similar to Astro-Zeneca, which had a ton of mixing (a ton of people who had AZ as their first dose had mRNA as their second).

J&J has been approved up here for ages they just never delivered any lol.

We were supposed to get a small allotment of 300k back in the spring but it got caught up in that US factory J&J/AZ mixup whoopsie and had to be thrown out. Since then J&J has refused to say when they'll ship any, and we haven't recieved any to date lol.

poll plane variant posted:

What's the third dose program look like in Canada, anyway? Are they doing third full-dose Modernas? Who is eligible?

Third doses right now are being offered to the following groups:

Government of Ontario posted:

Those undergoing active treatment for solid tumors;

Those who are in receipt of chimeric antigen receptor (CAR)-T-cell;

Those with moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (e.g., DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome);

Stage 3 or advanced untreated HIV infection and those with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome; and

Those undergoing active treatment with the following categories of immunosuppressive therapies: anti-B cell therapies (monoclonal antibodies targeting CD19, CD20 and CD22), high-dose systemic corticosteroids, alkylating agents, antimetabolites, or tumor-necrosis factor (TNF) inhibitors and other biologic agents that are significantly immunosuppressive.

Transplant recipients (including solid organ transplant and hematopoietic stem cell transplants);

Patients with hematological cancers (examples include lymphoma, myeloma, leukemia) on active treatment (chemotherapy, targeted therapies, immunotherapy);

Recipients of an anti-CD20 agent (e.g. rituximab, ocrelizumab, ofatumumab); and

Residents of high-risk congregate settings including long-term care homes, higher-risk licensed retirement homes and First Nations elder care lodges.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded it to 65+ in the near future, or at the very least 80+ where basically all the breakthrough deaths are.

I doubt they'll roll them out to the general population any time soon here. We're at 85% one shot, 80% two shots for eligible and that somewhat higher vaccination rate does seem to be making a difference compared to like, the shitshow that is Alberta. Transmission seems to have hit a plateau despite schools being open for over two weeks. There's been breakthrough cases in all age groups but pretty much all the ICU cases and deaths have been in the olds (nobody vaccinated under 50 has died, barely any vaccinated ICU cases under 60, etc...) . Now who knows if that'll change in a few months, if immunity wanes in the same timeframe with the spaced shots we have, etc... But I'd be real surprised if they were talking about boosters for 18-65 before next year here.

As for mixing Moderna and Pfizer for third doses, I don't see why they wouldn't. Health Canada/National Advisory Committee on Immunization declared them interchangeable months ago so I doubt they'd make a weird exception for boosters.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 23, 2021

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh I'm not saying it's ineffective as a booster and that's not why we're pursuing it, just that the biggest part of vaccine uptake coincided with the Baltimore plant contaminations and the Feds buying like 500 million doses of mRNA to distribute, so actually finding a J&J to get may prove difficult.

I could be wrong though, I know we had a lot of hope for it initially as a one dose so may still be buying some, but even back in April I couldn't find anybody within a few counties of me giving the Janssen

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Epic High Five posted:

The formerly threadbanned posters who have returned haven't really been posting above the general background level of agitation and abrasion, and have been heeding calls to reign it in when they're put out. Anybody who steps out of line enough for cat jail when something irl gets things heated up is dealt with regardless of previous thread status. Such is the nature of an amnesty, and it has been in the OP thread guidelines since day 1.

1. The "general background level of agitation and abrasion" has been established since the OP of the thread and included open calls to mislead physicians and was sufficient to drive off an epidemiologist. That this is considered "working out well enough" is a problem for the long term health of the thread, as it means users who know the subject or provide substantive sources are placed at a disadvantage to "agitation and abrasion".

2. What you have described is already a deviation from the original OP, which excluded OOCC and stated that the threadbans were still in effect. The OP language on this has also been changed, and what you describe in the post above is also different from the OP, as it describes applying probations instead of not enforcing threadbans.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vasukhani posted:

Most people who kill themselves are men who do so out of financial reasons, so it makes sense the UBI reduces suicide

that said, mental health probably suffered immensely. So suicides will probably increase as people recover from the "Sleep all day" to the "do something about it" part of depression. There were a ton of other health impacts of the endless quasi "lockdown," including childhood obesity doubling, and 30-50k treatable cancers likely becoming terminal. The mental health system broke down completely too, so I don't think we should be using suicide as the one metric of public health damage.

Humans also like violence and destruction, so in general watching the bodies pile up also made people excited to see tomorrow.

Yeah, I think this is important to remember. Suicide/depression is only one facet of mental illness, and it's one that I would not necessarily expect to increase significantly from the pandemic. I think you probably have a lot of people who are struggling with various aspects of their mental health in relation to the pandemic, but probably are not thinking about suicide as a solution. If you're anxious about dying, for example, the least likely thing I can imagine is attempting to kill yourself.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Here is the actual HHS report, cited in the article. The "willing but unvaccinated" were classified to include those who were "unsure" about the vaccine and the stated responses do not include physical access. The rest of the article is anecdotes frequently not reflecting ongoing effort.

The Biden administration has already put billions of dollars into expanding access, including both physical and persuasive elements. Here's a press release on one tranche of such funding from May.

The Executive Order in question only applies to federal employees, because it's where the administration can rapidly perform such actions without going through the rulemaking process. The leave provision you are thinking of was part of the American Rescue Plan Act, and took the form of a tax credit applicable to some companies to cover paid time off. The President does not have the authority to do things like that without an act of congress.

From the materials I prepared for the media lit thread:

quote:

“Why am I not hearing about x?!”
Politicians do not actually control the media- and media attention is an incredibly fickle constraint. There is a constant churn of attempts to get and maintain media attention, and the media ecosystem is more fragmented than ever. The vast majority of press announcements, even from the white house, do not get billing even in conventional press. Mediated, self-reinforced selection newsfeeds like twitter give an even more limited picture. When you blame someone for “not talking about” something, bear in mind that they may actually be talking about that thing- you’re just not hearing about it because your sources of information aren’t providing it to you. If you find yourself asking this question, check to see if the politician or- well, let’s be real, it’s usually the democrats that get blamed for this- the democrats are actually talking about it, and it’s just not getting covered. And understand that “well they should talk about it more” usually means they get to do, or even just talk about, other things less…and you’re not the only person with the only priorities that they need to reach. Good governance does not attract attention like a fat man riding an escalator does. Find better, more direct sources that will tell you more about what is going on. Stop watching the fat man on the escalator.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Discendo Vox posted:

Here is the actual HHS report, cited in the article. The "willing but unvaccinated" were classified to include those who were "unsure" about the vaccine and the stated responses do not include physical access. The rest of the article is anecdotes frequently not reflecting ongoing effort.

The Biden administration has already put billions of dollars into expanding access, including both physical and persuasive elements. Here's a press release on one tranche of such funding from May.

The Executive Order in question only applies to federal employees, because it's where the administration can rapidly perform such actions without going through the rulemaking process. The leave provision you are thinking of was part of the American Rescue Plan Act, and took the form of a tax credit applicable to some companies to cover paid time off. The President does not have the authority to do things like that without an act of congress.

From the materials I prepared for the media lit thread:

Hope they do better in the future than the current failed strategies you outlined.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

1. The "general background level of agitation and abrasion" has been established since the OP of the thread and included open calls to mislead physicians and was sufficient to drive off an epidemiologist. That this is considered "working out well enough" is a problem for the long term health of the thread, as it means users who know the subject or provide substantive sources are placed at a disadvantage to "agitation and abrasion".

2. What you have described is already a deviation from the original OP, which excluded OOCC and stated that the threadbans were still in effect. The OP language on this has also been changed, and what you describe in the post above is also different from the OP, as it describes applying probations instead of not enforcing threadbans.

quote:

Regarding thread bans: No current threadbans. Those who have been threadbanned in the old thread know how they can stay. Subforum bans remain banned from this thread.

The long term health of the thread is being kept in mind and things are being adjusted on the fly as needed, do not worry that things are being kept too rigid. Had I probated everybody involved in the Friday night testiness I would've also been driving people off, and people who got abusive were dealt with accordingly.

I describe probations because there are no threadbans in effect for the time being, enforcement is via other means until such a time as one is needed. OOCC was indeed originally on the list but Professor Beetus, the IK and OP of this thread, reconsidered this and now they are not.

For now though I ask that if you wish to argue against thread baselines you do so either in PMs or in QCS if you believe moderation is part of the issue, as this is becoming a distraction to a couple other discussion that are COVID-related going on. You're a good contributor to the thread and I do share some of your concerns but this isn't the best venue for this.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

papa horny michael posted:

Hope they do better in the future than the current failed strategies you outlined.

What ways would you propose, or do you support any already mentioned so far?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

papa horny michael posted:

Hey man, they made a tranche of funding. That's the best thing an administration can possibly do.

*hiding press releases about rental assistance funding programs under the sofa cushions*

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Discendo Vox posted:

The leave provision you are thinking of was part of the American Rescue Plan Act, and took the form of a tax credit applicable to some companies to cover paid time off. The President does not have the authority to do things like that without an act of congress.

The president can send everyone a $5k check to cover time to take off work for getting a vaccine. We've already been sent thousands in checks over the last two years. If I recall Joe Biden even promised $2000 but only sent a fraction of that. Perhaps he should send people the remaining money he promised them.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Epic High Five posted:

What ways would you propose, or do you support any already mentioned so far?

"Let him enforce it" levels of tight timeframes and restrictions on religious and medical exemptions seem to be necessary to make US mandates actually mandatory. The present regime has loopholes you can drive a lot of virus through, which the courts seem to support.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I explicitly cited the May press release as an example.The President cannot unilaterally send people checks; it requires an act of congress. The administration has already announced a vaccination mandate passing through OSHA, which has to go through notice and comment rulemaking. The scope of exceptions remains to be seen, but will in part depend on calculations by the administration about whether they will cause a court challenge that could threaten or at least stay the entire mandate. At a minimum, significant restrictions on religious exemptions to a vaccine mandate are unlikely to be found constitutional.

You know all of this.

It is taxing to be required to explain the entire administrative legal apparatus, much of the public health apparatus, to read improperly presented articles and quote and directly link the underlying research, in the face of a series of content-free attacks based on deliberate ignorance.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Discendo Vox posted:

I explicitly cited the May press release as an example.The President cannot unilaterally send people checks; it requires an act of congress. The administration has already announced a vaccination mandate passing through OSHA, which has to go through notice and comment rulemaking. The scope of exceptions remains to be seen, but will in part depend on calculations by the administration about whether they will cause a court challenge that could threaten or at least stay the entire mandate. At a minimum, significant restrictions on religious exemptions to a vaccine mandate are unlikely to be found constitutional.

You know all of this.

It is taxing to be required to explain the entire administrative legal apparatus, much of the public health apparatus, to read improperly presented articles and quote and directly link the underlying research, in the face of a series of content-free attacks.

The OSHA rules will at least initially bypass the notice and rulemaking requirements because they are going to be issued under OSHA's emergency rulemaking authority.

But they will almost certainly be halted by that one nutso conservative judge in Texas and the appeals will drag on into the normal rulemaking time to make the emergency rule permanent so I guess that distinction doesn't matter.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
It's tiring to be two years into the worst pandemic in our modern history, one that has now killed more Americans than the last greatest pandemic, and still have people claiming we've done the best we possibly could and the administration is beyond criticism.

China has only lost 4k people to this pandemic--how about we follow whatever they've done instead of just throw our hands up and say there's nothing we can do, this is the best possible outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

It's tiring to be two years into the worst pandemic in our modern history, one that has now killed more Americans than the last greatest pandemic, and still have people claiming we've done the best we possibly could and the administration is beyond criticism.

China has only lost 4k people to this pandemic--how about we follow whatever they've done instead of just throw our hands up and say there's nothing we can do, this is the best possible outcome.

We're probably too hosed at this point, ya? Even if the political will existed to take the Zero Covid® approach that's proved extremely effective in China, the U.S. is riddled with COVID to a point that we couldn't contact trace.

Maybe in a few months after it's burned through ...