Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

H13 posted:

They're still goddamn amazing to see live, where it is blasted at you at an ungodly volume, so you don't hear all the sloppyness of Kirk's leads and if you're hurting yourself in the pit, you won't notice Lars doing a fill every time he lost the beat, then catching up to where Hetfield is.

This sounds (literally) terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

almost all metal bands should be subject to a logan's run style law where they're mercifully put to sleep after a certain age to prevent even more awful albums from being made.

Motorhead made good albums till the end :colbert:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There’s a ton of bands that have lasted and kept things solid without changing too much. At the surface there’s bands like Overkill, Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower… :3:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

There’s a ton of bands that have lasted and kept things solid without changing too much. At the surface there’s bands like Overkill, Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower… :3:

Bolt Thrower didn’t record anything for the last decade of their career because they didn’t think they could top TOL.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bolt Thrower didn’t record anything for the last decade of their career because they didn’t think they could top TOL.

I don’t think they ever topped Realm of Chaos but that’s no reason to stop recording

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
There are no bad BOLT THROWER albums

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
This is a cool song. Symphonic stuff I guess with a Turisas-style chanty chorus :).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFuc-nDAY

henpod fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 23, 2021

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

There are no bad BOLT THROWER albums

Never made a bad song or a bad album

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

henpod posted:

This is a cool song. Symphonic stuff I guess with a Turisas-style chanty chorus :).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFuc-nDAY

I like this :)
On the subject of Metallica, they were my very first concert when I was 12, it must have been the load or reload tour? They will always have a special place in my heart for helping me through my angsty teen years.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It's me! the one person in the world who likes st anger. I was a kid when it came out. My dad and I listened to it a lot in the car on the way to like, guides meetings and music lessons. I just have a lot of nostalgia for it

We saw them when they were promoting Death Magnetic and I listened to that album a lot throughout high school, seeing as it was released like a week into my first year of it. I'd probably see them again given a chance for similar reasons - sometimes you just gotta do stuff for the sake of your teenaged self 😅

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Killingyouguy! posted:

It's me! the one person in the world who likes st anger. I was a kid when it came out.

https://loudwire.com/sanguisugabogg-cameron-boggs-interview-metallica-st-anger/

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hahahah this rules, thank you

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is so good lol

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Motorhead made good albums till the end :colbert:

that's why i said 'almost all'

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Love that there’s a photo of him wearing a Crazy Town shirt.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Judas Priest and Kreator also say hi.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Death Magnetic and Hardwired have some solid tunes. Also the black album is probably one of the best albums for beginner guitarists and bassists to learn some heavier stuff that's fun to play. Metallica owns.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Dr. Capco posted:

Death Magnetic and Hardwired have some solid tunes.

I've listened to both a few times and am pretty sure I would have really really liked them if they'd come out in, like, the mid-90s. Things being as they are, I've just never been able to care much. Their mid-90s output stands as not bad but just not something I enjoy listening to very often; St. Anger was the nail in the coffin.

Will always love their first four albums, and like the fifth. Obviously, I'm one of those middle-aged nerds whose gateway drug into metal was those 80s albums. (Specifically, I flipped into full-on metalhead mode in autumn of 1988, when I started high school and over the course of a few weeks randomly came across Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer and Testament. By the next summer I was listening to Bathory...)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AMNdYJbocI

Y'all gonna tell me you wouldn't be in that crowd chanting die with everybody else?

Or would you be at the back, with your arms crossed, telling everybody you liked Metallica better when it was James, Lars, Ron and Dave? Ya big fuckin' nerd.

They still rule.

Also, Load is a loving great album. Reload has some great songs but a fair bit of filler. St. Anger has some killer riffs that are buried under that godawful snare and terrible songwriting. Death Magnetic is a decent comeback, but I don't listen to it much. Hardwired has some legitimately great stuff on it (Spit out The Bone is loving awesome and cooler than anything since Black album) but if it was 1 disc instead of 2, it would've been a much better album.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Lars is was and will always be the reason I can't get into Metallica deeper than surface level. So distracting in how blase, how boring his style is. Throw in his actual inability to perform and count time and it's just cherry on top poo poo.

edit - like it's cheating to be like OH THE SNARKY PUPPY DRUMMER DID IT BETTER but seriously, Larnell Lewis on a single listen & groove puts down a better performance on Enter Sandman than Lars ever could: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd_UcjMusUA

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 24, 2021

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

H13 posted:

Y'all gonna tell me you wouldn't be in that crowd chanting die with everybody else?

Pretty sure I would be doing that, yes. poo poo, anyone who does what they did in the 80s can spend the next decades doing whatever as far as I am concerned.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I always really liked Lars’ drumming honestly. It’s “simple” but sounds great on the albums. Nice base for Hetfield’s rhythm to lock into.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Noone ever said it needed to be a flaired out filled out blast beat under each track. Again, peep the LL cover video I linked before. Dude's a monster drummer but appreciates the simplicity of it and just adds a little bit here and there to help out in ways that Lars can't conceptualize, I don't think. Without even getting into poo poo like being unable to count correctly in Blackened (however that made it through the studio, whatever)

At the end of the day his simple playing is boring and he can't even play it correctly live so like... what the gently caress you doing mate

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I think the only time I ever actually noticed his drumming, good or bad, was on Blackened. That song has good drums, every other song I forget Lars even exists

New releases Friday:

Sadness / To Be Gentle split, depressive blackgaze / screamo
Rude, dm
Shadowstrike, pm
Idle Hands has changed their name to Unto Others and have a new album on non-BC, gothic trad
Waldgefluester, bm
Warning's WFAD in it's entirety live
Aorlhac on non-BC, meloblack
Paradox on non-BC, speedy thrashy traddy pm
Rivers of Nihil, progressive death
Succumb, blackened death
A Pale Horse Named Death, gothic doom
Wraith, thrash
Cognizance, tech death
Virial, tech death
Lunar Spells, bm
Veilburner, progressive bm
Ars Moriendi, atmoblack
Morbid Messiah, dm
Eteritus, blackened death
Wretched Inferno, brutal death

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I have a pet theory that Metallica could never be as big as they are without Lars’ awful drumming. It’s an advertisement people don’t like, but never stop talking about because how could one of the biggest bands ever have such a bad drummer?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Completely forgot these were coming out today, and since I pre-purchased them, it's like 2 presents myself from past CRIP.

Very excited for both of these.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's weird because usually (imo) thrash bands live or die by their drummer, but somehow Lars is bad in such a particular way that--with a lot of help from Hetfield--they hit that same "the wheels are gonna fall off at any minute" feel that thrash bands with good drummers get.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So it's official, Metallica is the most successful band in history where none of its members could actually do their job competently.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Lars is a great drummer for hard rock stuff like The Black Album. I love his part on Sad But True for example (did anyone else play Guitar Hero: Metallica? It was the most fun non-Mastodon song to drum). He is a mediocre thrash drummer who is massively outshined by his peers in the Big 4 and beyond.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

That new Aorlhac is fantastic and I'm glad the shithead from Suhnopfer isn't drumming on it, and the WFAD live recording sounds incredible so far. This is probably the best Friday release day for me personally

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Eh, I think Lars' simple drumming is what made them so much more accessible. A lot of the thrashy Metallica doesn't sound that thrashy 'cos Lars isn't doing the Slayer beat for an entire album.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've never really listened to Nile and I'd like to remedy that. What albums should I start with/what are their best works?

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
It's extra funny because I recall back in the 80's my metalhead friends all thought Lars was a god, like they'd talk about how his drum heads only had marks in the very center because of how precise he was, lmao.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Kvlt! posted:

I've never really listened to Nile and I'd like to remedy that. What albums should I start with/what are their best works?

Annihilation of the Wicked for me, but really everything they've done is representative of their work. Quality throughout.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The new Rivers of Nihil is extremely my jam

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

Lars is a great drummer for hard rock stuff like The Black Album. I love his part on Sad But True for example (did anyone else play Guitar Hero: Metallica? It was the most fun non-Mastodon song to drum). He is a mediocre thrash drummer who is massively outshined by his peers in the Big 4 and beyond.

Who are you to doubt Dr House

https://youtube.com/watch?v=y56LfmVbkH4

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

deedee megadoodoo posted:

The new Rivers of Nihil is extremely my jam

i could do without the last 20 seconds of track 2, but yeah i'm about halfway through my first listen and it's killer

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
the new Unto Others (formerly Idle Hands) is out today as well. Seems pretty sick so far

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Ruins of Beverast and Deeds of Flesh added to MDF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Omnikin posted:

Noone ever said it needed to be a flaired out filled out blast beat under each track. Again, peep the LL cover video I linked before. Dude's a monster drummer but appreciates the simplicity of it and just adds a little bit here and there to help out in ways that Lars can't conceptualize, I don't think. Without even getting into poo poo like being unable to count correctly in Blackened (however that made it through the studio, whatever)

At the end of the day his simple playing is boring and he can't even play it correctly live so like... what the gently caress you doing mate

I 100% agree. Lars just sticks to alternating bass and snare 1 and 3 with the hi-hat on top. It just gets boring really quickly. First time watching Larnell there, but what he did is pretty much exactly what I'd want, and maybe then I'd be a Metallica fan.

I might get laughed out of the thread, but my intro to actually listening to metal and liking it was Periphery in 2008.

Also, thanks for reminding me about the new Rivers of Nihil. Putting it on now.