Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

wizzardstaff posted:

Ours took at least a year to really care about being read to. Prior to that the books that held her interest most were ones with pictures of babies or ones with fun textures.

Oh yes, pictures of babies were a big hit here around the 4 month mark. B is for Bear became her favourite book and she’d smile and laugh at the pictures of other babies. I got her Baby Faces Peekaboo and she loves that too.

Baby is 11 months now and her favourite game is to pull out all the books from her bookshelves. I had to place the paper books higher up because she started tearing pages out of Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham. I should get some of those indestructible books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks everyone, I feel very much reassured that I'm not neglecting my baby horribly by not constantly reading to her at this stage. The poo poo that parents say gets under your skin even if you are aware it's mostly bs, you know?

It sounds like you’re doing a great job with a bedtime routine, and if that’s mostly working, don’t worry about messing with it!

My oldest is 2.5 years old and I don’t even remember exactly when I started reading to her at night, but it was definitely after she could sit up unsupported in my lap. Just lol at parents of kids in their 20s-40s trying to remember what they were doing when their kids were X months old.

At the playground today my daughter was going up a ladder and didn’t want any help from me, so she put her hand out and said “WALK AWAY, BUDDY!” I was cracking up, I have no idea where that came from.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Please shower me in affirmations that my very ambitious 9 month baby is okay after falling flat on her face trying to take her first steps. There was a little bit of blood in the (already) snotty nose and we are both very sad. It also happened right before bedtime so we didn’t have a lot of time to see if she was acting funny/differently.

Everyone says babies are indestructible, and I’m sure there will be tons and tons of falls bumps and scrapes but man…I feel bad.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

meanolmrcloud posted:

Please shower me in affirmations that my very ambitious 9 month baby is okay after falling flat on her face trying to take her first steps. There was a little bit of blood in the (already) snotty nose and we are both very sad. It also happened right before bedtime so we didn’t have a lot of time to see if she was acting funny/differently.

Everyone says babies are indestructible, and I’m sure there will be tons and tons of falls bumps and scrapes but man…I feel bad.

My SIL got distracted for like a second and her son was off the changing table. He’s good.

But I get it. It really hits you emotionally to see your baby hurt and hear them crying. I’m sure she’s good though.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

meanolmrcloud posted:

It's totally fine. Babies trip and fall all time. My son today chose to faceplant onto concrete instead of let his stuffed animal get dirt on it lol. Your baby will be fine.

We got some of those foam puzzle mats and put them down in the living room for walking practice. He still fell all over the house and outside anyways but like maybe half the time he bounced off a soft surface.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We took our 4 month old to the beach, I sat/propped her up, looked away for literally one second and she fell face first into the sand. Well apparently the whole "close eyes/mouth when falling into sand" reflex is learned. Ended up picking individual grains of sand out of her eyes/mouth/nose for an hour, then went immediately home. Beach Day Over.

At ten months, just an hour ago she fell backwards and smacked the back of her head pretty hard into the corner of the frame of the bookshelf, but 90 seconds later she was back to whatever it was she was doing

The good news is that with those stubby legs they don't have very far to fall, and not enough time to build up any significant speed

bastion30
Sep 23, 2021
The missus and I went through a whole bunch of different formulas until our baby boy was satisfied. We had to stop breastfeeding him because my wife developed PCOS, which messed with her hormones, causing her to stop producing milk. He hated just about every single thing we tried. We finally struck gold with Earth's Best Organic, and now he's all set.

Having kids is one of those experiences where you really get to learn a few things about yourself. My wife and I had some marital problems right after our kid was born. She grew distant and estranged postpartum, which had me thinking she was having psychological issues. Yet, being a dummy I was, I've decided to let it go because "it's just a phase." Well, it wasn't a phase.

I'd like to think that I'm financially stable. Yet, due to some birth-related complications, we got shafted with a massive medical bill (yay US healthcare system). Money got tight real fast. My wife, in the midst of her madness, suddenly developed a craving for online slot games. Her dumb sister, a serial gambler, would send her a list similar to this one https://www.nodeposit.guide/usa/free-spins/ and my wife would spend hours playing these games.

So one day I come home and she tells me that she basically gambled away half of our monthly budget. That's when I knew it was time to stop messing around. We got her into therapy and she's doing better now, and so am I. I love my kid to death, but I'd be lying if I said that his arrival hasn't changed things.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just a heads up to everyone: Boppy infant loungers are have been recalled due to suffocation risk.

You can return them for a refund. We're keeping ours because it makes a fantastic cat bed.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Just a heads up to everyone: Boppy infant loungers are have been recalled due to suffocation risk.

You can return them for a refund. We're keeping ours because it makes a fantastic cat bed.

Uhmmmmm well, poo poo

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

meanolmrcloud posted:

My 2 year old slid backwards off a picnic table onto concrete. He was sitting facing away from the table and his butt went right between the bench and table, landed butt first, then back, then back of the head. Called the pediatrician and they told us what to look for behavior wise and at the site where he hit his head for signs that he'd need to go to the ER.

He was completely back to his normal self after about 3 minutes of tears.

I was completely devastated for 3 full days.

Accidents happen and 9 times out of 10 they hurt the parents more than kids.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Cool cool, baby's blood test came back positive for egg allergy after a mild rash from French toast. Ped wants to hold off till he's 1 before doing the allergist referral. It's to ovalbumin, so she also said no flu shot for him. But the CDC says even people with more severe reactions can still get it if it's in a clinical setting? Anyone have experience with this?

Also, fingers crossed for crème brulé therapy :D

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
We got a message from daycare today that our very mischievous 13-month old got hold of her teacher's phone and managed to buy a 2-hour home cleaning Groupon for her. Guess that's a good heads-up to keep our credit cards disconnected from our phones!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Carotid posted:

We got a message from daycare today that our very mischievous 13-month old got hold of her teacher's phone and managed to buy a 2-hour home cleaning Groupon for her. Guess that's a good heads-up to keep our credit cards disconnected from our phones!

Extremely strong toddler energy. I say, well done, and congratulations on a cleaner house to your kids teacher.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Carotid posted:

You know, they say that teachers often learn from their pupils. It sounds like that one learned not to keep her unlocked phone with connected credit card in a place easily accessed by a toddler.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

If my toddler could buy me a spa day or whatever I would be pretty down for it. “I have to go! It was a gift! Byeeeee”

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

2DEG posted:

Cool cool, baby's blood test came back positive for egg allergy after a mild rash from French toast. Ped wants to hold off till he's 1 before doing the allergist referral. It's to ovalbumin, so she also said no flu shot for him. But the CDC says even people with more severe reactions can still get it if it's in a clinical setting? Anyone have experience with this?

Also, fingers crossed for crème brulé therapy :D

My baby has an egg allergy too after she puked a bunch after eating scrambled eggs. We saw an allergist who put her on the egg ladder. Our main trouble was getting her to eat as much as a single bite of the ladder foods. I’m not sitting at muffins forever because she won’t eat them, so we’ve made our way to egg noodles, which it seems she will actually eat!

We’re still quite a ways from creme brûlée, but we’re on our way there!

We also got a couple of epipens, which I’m happy to have around just in case.

No word yet on vaccines, as her 12 month shots are still a few weeks away.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Carotid posted:

This kid owns

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Andos El Pantos posted:

My 2 year old slid backwards off a picnic table onto concrete. He was sitting facing away from the table and his butt went right between the bench and table, landed butt first, then back, then back of the head. Called the pediatrician and they told us what to look for behavior wise and at the site where he hit his head for signs that he'd need to go to the ER.

He was completely back to his normal self after about 3 minutes of tears.

I was completely devastated for 3 full days.

Accidents happen and 9 times out of 10 they hurt the parents more than kids.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Tom Smykowski posted:

This kid owns

Have met the kid in question, can confirm.

My own little nugget is adjusting to life on the outside. She's really bummed we're using the foldover mittens on her shirt though, since her fingers are her favorite thing to suck right now.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Anyone ever not respond and/or sit in awkward silence with their toddler because any phrase uttered might result in a 15 minute meltdown

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

nachos posted:

Anyone ever not respond and/or sit in awkward silence with their toddler because any phrase uttered might result in a 15 minute meltdown

Yeah; it happens. Everyone needs time to cool off sometimes; it's just for a toddler someone still needs to still ensure they don't murder themselves or go on a Groupon shopping spree

Usually I'll set an expectation that when they've got an indoor voice and are ready to listen we can talk but the ball's in their court

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 23, 2021

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

nachos posted:

All the time. I won a battle of the wills the other night at bedtime. She started with her mother trying to put her down and then me, and then she was crying for mommy. I told her if she got in bed and got covered up her mom would come back in. Took about 10 minutes of me just staring at her while she kicked and screamed but it worked.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So daughter has massive ear infection and is cranky as gently caress—she was getting fussy and restless, so I had a pure breastmilk bottle for her at the doctor today and she wouldn’t take it, cue the half hour of screaming and wailing in the exam room while we waited for Covid and RSV results. Both negative but man…

Also learned the Similac orange label we tried is cows milk but has no lactose, so it’s likely in the doctor’s opinion that she has a cows milk sensitivity. She gave us samples of a soy and lactose free Similac and same brand with purple label that has little amounts of lactose, cows milk, and soy milk. Thank God because we will go bankrupt if we have to keep buying brand after brand just to see what formula she can handle.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

life is killing me posted:

Also learned the Similac orange label we tried is cows milk but has no lactose, so it’s likely in the doctor’s opinion that she has a cows milk sensitivity. She gave us samples of a soy and lactose free Similac and same brand with purple label that has little amounts of lactose, cows milk, and soy milk. Thank God because we will go bankrupt if we have to keep buying brand after brand just to see what formula she can handle.
We've been supplementing from day 2 (about half and half) and after trying a bunch of different versions of Similac, we've had good success with the Enfamil Gentlease - which was the recommendation form our pediatrician. My understanding is that the different versions of Similac just adjusts the balance of lactose-regular sugar and protein balance. The Enfamil (and Gerber) partially hydrolyse the proteins from the cows milk making it easier to digest. This one is like 80% sugar 20% lactose.
Her digestion improved immensely a few days after switching (although it is thicker and she does spit up a little more with formula than with a breast milk)

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

We've been supplementing from day 2 (about half and half) and after trying a bunch of different versions of Similac, we've had good success with the Enfamil Gentlease - which was the recommendation form our pediatrician. My understanding is that the different versions of Similac just adjusts the balance of lactose-regular sugar and protein balance. The Enfamil (and Gerber) partially hydrolyse the proteins from the cows milk making it easier to digest. This one is like 80% sugar 20% lactose.
Her digestion improved immensely a few days after switching (although it is thicker and she does spit up a little more with formula than with a breast milk)

We tried enfamil gentlease neuropro to begin with because our son had that when he was a baby, and that’s what started this whole thing basically. Two brands and no improvement in like a month

From my understanding lactose is just another sugar and she’s either intolerant of the lactose, the cows milk, or soy. Most likely it’s cows milk because she didn’t do well on lactose or without it, so just process of elimination at this point. One more brand option if this doesn’t go well

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 23, 2021

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

We tried enfamil gentlease neuropro to begin with because our son had that when he was a baby, and that’s what started this whole thing basically. Two brands and no improvement in like a month

From my understanding lactose is just another sugar and she’s either intolerant of the lactose, the cows milk, or soy. Most likely it’s cows milk because she didn’t do well on lactose or without it, so just process of elimination at this point. One more brand option if this doesn’t go well

I will note that our pediatrician also said the next step was either Similac Alimentum (which I assume is one of the ones you were given) or Enfamil Nutramigen

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I will note that our pediatrician also said the next step was either Similac Alimentum (which I assume is one of the ones you were given) or Enfamil Nutramigen

Yes she said both of those, I couldn’t remember but also she has a very thick accent (she isn’t our kids’ normal pediatrician, he’s out this week) so it was tough to tell. She was very awesome but with the made-up names it’s tough

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Nessa posted:

My baby has an egg allergy too after she puked a bunch after eating scrambled eggs. We saw an allergist who put her on the egg ladder. Our main trouble was getting her to eat as much as a single bite of the ladder foods. I’m not sitting at muffins forever because she won’t eat them, so we’ve made our way to egg noodles, which it seems she will actually eat!

We’re still quite a ways from creme brûlée, but we’re on our way there!

We also got a couple of epipens, which I’m happy to have around just in case.

No word yet on vaccines, as her 12 month shots are still a few weeks away.

Just a story - our son would vomit profusely about 2-3 hours after eating eggs or even a bite of a muffin with baked egg. Like would not stop even when it was just bile.

First thought was allergy so we got an epipen, but he never had an anaphylactic reaction to eggs (hives, breathing, swelling, etc.). Docs eventually said it could be FPIES which is gastrointestinal only, so he was able to get vaccines.

We avoided eggs and anything with eggs and kept following up until he got a prick test to confirm it wasn’t a typical egg allergy, and then we waited until 2 years to work up the egg ladder because that’s when kids start to grow out of FPIES and his initial reactions were so strong.

Anyways, passing it along because of your first story there reminded me and I like to share for people dealing with youngins getting stomach sick with certain foods, FPIES isn’t really well researched and can apply to all different types of foods, so it took a bit to get that diagnosis. And it was nice to know how we didn’t have to avoid being around eggs, just not letting him eat it for a year lol

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

If you really hate money, you can buy Enfamil PureAmino. It's basically just amino acids and vitamins, I don't think it even has cow's milk in it. Our daughter had a pretty severe milk protein allergy (thankfully it seems to be subsiding a bit so we moved her back to nutramigen) and it worked wonders. We couldn't find it locally, so we ended up purchasing it through Enfamil directly, but just as a fair warning, their subscribe and save kinda sucks. We tried changing it to every 3 weeks and it never seemed to acknowledge the change.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Crazyweasel posted:

Just a story - our son would vomit profusely about 2-3 hours after eating eggs or even a bite of a muffin with baked egg. Like would not stop even when it was just bile.

First thought was allergy so we got an epipen, but he never had an anaphylactic reaction to eggs (hives, breathing, swelling, etc.). Docs eventually said it could be FPIES which is gastrointestinal only, so he was able to get vaccines.

We avoided eggs and anything with eggs and kept following up until he got a prick test to confirm it wasn’t a typical egg allergy, and then we waited until 2 years to work up the egg ladder because that’s when kids start to grow out of FPIES and his initial reactions were so strong.

Anyways, passing it along because of your first story there reminded me and I like to share for people dealing with youngins getting stomach sick with certain foods, FPIES isn’t really well researched and can apply to all different types of foods, so it took a bit to get that diagnosis. And it was nice to know how we didn’t have to avoid being around eggs, just not letting him eat it for a year lol

That’s good to know! She started vomiting about 20 minutes after eating and the prick test confirmed the allergy. She was fine with muffin when I first gave her some and has had no issues with the egg noodles either. We’ve got a follow up with her allergist in November to see how things are going.

My husband actually had an allergy test this week because his allergies have been really bad since spring. Turns out he’s allergic to practically everything. Dust mites, mold, trees, weeds, grasses, cats, dogs and horses. I only know I have a birch pollen allergy because of the associated oral allergy syndrome with raw carrots, raw cherries and hazelnuts. It made me very sad a couple Christmas’s ago when I realized Ferrero Rocher now made my mouth all itchy. 😞

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
The past few nights have been rough, I haven’t slept for more than an hour at a time for about three nights now. After I dropped off my daughter at daycare I put the baby in his crib and took a nap.

I was woken up by a sound from my kitchen, which would normally have me bolt upright and heart pounding, but I thought to myself “Well if I get murdered, then that’s the way I’m going to go.” I didn’t even change positions in bed, and I went back to sleep.

Turns out it was my mom. 99% of the time she texts before she comes over, but she didn’t this time for whatever reason.

And the series of unfortunate events continues for me, my grandma died. Also my husband is lawyering up so it looks like our divorce is going to end up in court.

E: AWESOME my toddler just tested positive for RSV. Now I get to freak out about my baby, who has a stuffy nose, for the next several days, and hope he doesn’t get worse.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 24, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

1up posted:

Medication made such a huge impact on her daily life, especially school. Being able to start and finish work in one sitting instead of her getting so frustrated because she just didn't know how to start or transition to different items has been the biggest change.

We tried to start with nonmedicated options because I worry about a family history of drug abuse, but her pediatrician and pediatric psychiatrist helped me through those fears. It took us about 2 months to settle on the best dose, but it can take longer if you need to change medications as well. There are so many more options now, so their doctor will definitely be able to help you find what will work best.

My best advice is to stock up on high calorie snacks and ask about what they recommend for the initial sleep disturbance. The lack of appetite and sleep parts adjust pretty quickly, but you can stave off or lessen the initial weightloss if have some calorie bombs ready.

We'll have to see where it goes, I am not even sure what medication it was. But on monday we're having a meeting with their teachers and assistants to see what they got to say, then they'll write reports for the doctor who has to make a plan.

I feel these kids are really borderline on needing medication, they seem to have better and worse days. Last night they went with me alone into the city (because mom was working late shift, I had to buy new work shoes) and I was sorta dreading it first but they where well behaved all night, we had dinner at McD and had to wait for a long time before we got the food but they managed it well, even if they complained they where bored.

Then we went back home and stopped by the supermarket and we met one of their teachers and they ran up and hugged her and where all "you're here too! it's our teacher look!"

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Toddler Tantrums: Our 3 year old skipped terrible 2's, but he is becoming a full blown threenager. I wish the 8 year old would be better about not trying to purposefully set him off.

ADHD Meds: For our kid the meds help take the edge off. It gives him the ability to stop an impulsive behavior so he can utilize skills he's learning in therapy to deal with things. It hasn't been verified 100%, but we think (and therapist said they can see it too) he has anxiety as well and a lot of his impulsiveness is over trying to assert control over things because of it.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

Enfamil Nutramigen

Just wanted to chime in to say that our son had a cows milk allergy and this stuff right here was the magic bullet that made feeding and diapers normal again.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The baby figured out how to flip over and spent part of the night insisting on flipping over and then crying because she was flipped over. She slept on her stomach all night which is freaky and a bit scary the first time.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Mine has been sleeping on his stomach ever since he learned to roll. He’s clearly happier that way, and he’s able to get from his stomach to a sitting/standing position now, so we try not to stress about it.

In other news, he started putting pieces of his food in our mouths :3:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

hallo spacedog posted:

The baby figured out how to flip over and spent part of the night insisting on flipping over and then crying because she was flipped over. She slept on her stomach all night which is freaky and a bit scary the first time.

Oh yeah that’s fun. Wait until they figure out how to stand on their crib and then begin crying because they don’t know how to sit down.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The twins are staying home today because of a cold, already tested negative covid/rsv rapid tests. Immediately mommy left for work:

Twin1: can we watch something?

Me: not right now

Twin2: and if you keep asking the answer stays no!

They’re learning!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Oldest has been home today and yesterday. Had a runny nose the other day, but something's going around... then she started coughing, and started to measure a fever.

Mainly, it seems like she had a fever response to the shots she got at her 4 year well visit. That combined with the coughing was kind of a yikes...

She was doing OK most of the day yesterday, but fever really spiked before bed last night to almost 103F (not her record for a vaccine response, though... almost hit 105 with the last round). Woke her up from a nap to eat dinner, and she didn't take more than a sip of milk and water. #2 was fussing (as he does at dinner because we're never fast enough to fill his bottomless pit) so out of the blue she starts crying... when asked why, "I'm crying because #2 is crying!" She was pretty miserable, though... not surprised she was set off so easily. So we sat her long enough to make sure she actually wasn't hungry then shuffled her off to an early bed.

But, negative for covid, and this morning she was back to her old self. Could tell the instant she got up that she was feeling fine. I mean, except for the cough/snot. But the fever policy is still 24 hours, so she's home today.

Great thing is #2 is at day care. They've updated their policies so that we don't need to keep BOTH kids home anymore... just the sick one.

But what we've learned is that it's WAY easier to take care of a sick 4 year old than it is to try to take care of her AND a 16mo. She's been really good today. Happy enough so far doing puzzles quietly-ish while we get some work done. Enough where we can each take a half day and actually have some time leftover, instead of struggling to get even 4 hours of work done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Baby girl has been home from daycare yesterday and today, after I’ve had the kids by myself this week. I’m about burnt out, and baby girl is cranky as gently caress and happy with literally nothing we do.

But of course the doctor, who isn’t my kids’ usual one, was supposed to put the amoxicillin prescription in yesterday and our pharmacy doesn’t have it. By the time we realized it, the office was closed. Call today and go to appointment line to talk to an actual person because the nurse line is almost never answered directly, and she sends me to the loving nurse line. Told the person I spoke to and the VM machine the deal and about three and a half hours later, no goddamn call back. We need to get this baby feeling better…