Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ZeusCannon posted:

But then how will they mask load times
I've got no problem with cutscenes playing till the game's done loading. But why do so few games not let you skip once the loading has finished? I remember a game (I don't remember which) many years ago where pressing the space bar in a cutscene popped up a message telling you that it was still loading but would skip the rest of the cutscene as soon as it was done. And that's such an obvious and excellent bit of design. Why aren't they all doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I remember Mass Effect 2 loading screens were implemented as videos, and it would let the whole thing play even if the game had finished loading. So unless you installed a mod to fix it then you'd have a worst-case console loading time even if you were playing on a much newer PC with an SSD

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
A thing dragging down roguelike games for me: Unhelpful item descriptions. If I pick up an item like, say, Binding of Isaac's Spirit of the Night, I'd like to know what it actually does, not just "scary". Even if it's an immediately obvious effect like Risk of Rain's Ukulele ("...And his music was electric" - it's a chance for chain lightning on hit), it'd still be nice to just know that immediately. These games seem designed with you having wiki pages open to alt-tab to in order to not accidentally screw yourself over.

Even if it were just an option in the menus to switch from flavour text to boring numbers that'd be great.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Hades is actually pretty good about that. Upgrades and trinkets clearly state what they do down to the exact %chance to fire, scaling etc

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Frank Frank posted:

Hades is actually pretty good about that. Upgrades and trinkets clearly state what they do down to the exact %chance to fire, scaling etc

The only real issue I have is some of the boons/trinkets/upgrades say more damage to near or far enemies; and I have no freakin' clue what constitutes near or far.

Like...I can reasonably guess near, at least in the sense that if they are functionally in melee range, I'm close enough for the damage boost.

But for the spear, gun, and bow...what is "far"? Half a screen away? Just far enough away that if I had the sword it would miss?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

DrBouvenstein posted:

The only real issue I have is some of the boons/trinkets/upgrades say more damage to near or far enemies; and I have no freakin' clue what constitutes near or far.

Like...I can reasonably guess near, at least in the sense that if they are functionally in melee range, I'm close enough for the damage boost.

But for the spear, gun, and bow...what is "far"? Half a screen away? Just far enough away that if I had the sword it would miss?

It’s the outside edge of the range of the weapon. You know how when you charge a ranged attack you get that white arrow that extends from Zagreus? You need to have that arrow fully extended and the enemy at the end of it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's pretty clear for the bow (though you only learn what that range actually is after taking the relevant hammer upgrade, not before), less so for anything else that doesn't use the targeting arrow. Also doesn't apply at all to the trinket that gives a bonus against distant enemies.

There's also some edge case stuff that's still a little confusing and 1-2 minor interactions that aren't intuitive.

Edit: I think they may have cleaned up some stuff with patches but I seem to remember there commonly being some confusion around certain core damage boons for new players. I still get a little confused when it comes to distinctions between attack/dash attack boosts myself.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Sep 21, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm having fun in this Fallen Order replay, but after Ghost of Tsushima the combat just feels kinda noticeably clunkier and less fluid & natural. A Jedi game by Sucker Punch suddenly feels like it'd be about the best thing ever.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Tried Fallen Order on Game Pass last night and holy poo poo I'm not a fan of these pre-patch Bloodborne level load times.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

John Murdoch posted:

Edit: I think they may have cleaned up some stuff with patches but I seem to remember there commonly being some confusion around certain core damage boons for new players. I still get a little confused when it comes to distinctions between attack/dash attack boosts myself.

Dash attacks have unique animations so they shouldn’t be super hard to figure out. The dash attack on the spear is nice. Rest are kinda whatever.

I’ve run out of stuff to do in the game unless you count buying all the interior design stuff. I have all of the achievements except for the one that requires maxing all the keepsakes and I’m not sure I have the patience for it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean more in the sense that, at least AFAIK, there are specific dash attack bonuses, but also anything that boosts "attack" applies to anything that comes out when you hit the attack button, dash attacks included. See also: Hidden spear's charged projectile.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Sep 22, 2021

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

John Murdoch posted:

I mean more in the sense that, at least AFAIK, there are specific dash attack bonuses, but also anything that boosts "attack" applies to anything that comes out when you hit the attack button, dash attacks included. See also: Hidden spear's charged projectile.

As I understand it, anything that specifically calls out "attack" will affect any command coming from the attack button (bull rush, dash strike, regular attack etc). Anything that calls out "damage" will affect all damage sources (pressure points, that Poseidon boon that boots damage when entering rooms) but most will call out exactly what is boosted. Effects that call out "Dash strike" will only affect dash strikes and nothing else.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Sep 22, 2021

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Battlefield 5 has no maps that take place in Italy or the Soviet Union.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm finally getting around to Nioh, but something a bit annoying is just how dark the opening areas are. I hope there are a few well lit areas to explore, even Dark Souls mostly took place in broad daylight.

Plenty of the levels take place during the daytime... inside caves, lots of caves, yeah.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

To be fair, the caves in Nioh 1 have so much ambient magical glowing that they're usually better lit than the outdoor levels :v:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Picked up Synthetik and have been having fun getting destroyed over and over.

I like how hard the game is, but I find mines to be pretty bullshit. They’re incredibly hard to see even when you don’t have a screen full of enemies trying to kill you, they stun you, and they completely wipe out your shield.

Multiple times last night I would be doing just fine at full health, accidentally get nicked by a mine, and then immediately killed.

Coop also has it so if one use dies they’ll respawn with less health and shield. Unfortunately I found myself at a point where my stats got so low being shot by even one enemy would immediately kill me, which is very annoying.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Sep 22, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

wrong thread

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Sep 22, 2021

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

JackSplater posted:

A thing dragging down roguelike games for me: Unhelpful item descriptions. If I pick up an item like, say, Binding of Isaac's Spirit of the Night, I'd like to know what it actually does, not just "scary". Even if it's an immediately obvious effect like Risk of Rain's Ukulele ("...And his music was electric" - it's a chance for chain lightning on hit), it'd still be nice to just know that immediately. These games seem designed with you having wiki pages open to alt-tab to in order to not accidentally screw yourself over.

Even if it were just an option in the menus to switch from flavour text to boring numbers that'd be great.

Dont get me wrong, I love BoI, I've platted it on PS4 and am currently waiting for the final expansion which I will probably eventually also plat, but... Yeah.

If you were to get me to make a wishlist for things I'd want from a hypothetical BoI 2, it'd be a pretty long list (A less tragically edgy/juvenile aesthetic along with less bloating and duplication in item pools, and having "choices" and "more choices" on by default to allow more strategic decisions instead of a binary "If this isnt actively detrimental I'll pick it up" choice would be three of my top four I think) but right up there would be an in game encyclopedia of all the items you have picked up with a DETAILED breakdown of what they do. Sure, first time you pick up a thing it goes "scary!" or "Yuck!" or "Fear me!" or whatever, but after that let me look the loving things up in a pause menu, like Enter the Gungeon does. For the first 6 months of playing it I had the wiki page telling you what all the tarot cards bookmarked on my phone, and I still sometimes pause to look up certain items (usually details like "Is this the one that gives you a black heart along with its main effect?" and things like that). It has the collection page, all they'd need to do is improve that with some actual information.

Now I dont want to hold up Gungeons implementation as perfect tbh, it lacks a detailed breakdown of in game effects, but in Gungeon it doesnt matter so much because a) the descriptions are usually at least better than "scary" or "bark at the moon", b) there are fewer completely game changing/run breaking items in gungeon and c) if you dont like something you picked up in gungeon you can drop it from the pause menu anyway.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Tried to open Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon in steam, only to find I needed to log in to the ubisoft launcher. I don't remember my password so I reset it, but it turns out the launcher gives a generic "service is unavailable" message and literally won't log in until it's updated. Then I get through that and it won't start the game because it somehow wants a key to activate it even though I've already done that, but it won't accept my key because it's already been used. By me.

loving game launchers.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

SiKboy posted:

but right up there would be an in game encyclopedia of all the items you have picked up with a DETAILED breakdown of what they do.

All I want is for them to make the External Item Descriptions mod a toggleable option in the menu. When you get close to an item with it running it tells you exactly what it does, what transformation(s) it's part of, what item tier it is (new with Rebirth), and any special conditions it has. It's so incredibly convenient I have trouble playing without it now.

The game that made me post was Neon Abyss, which is probably the easiest roguelike I've ever played and has barely any item descriptions.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I decided to give Nioh a break and try out Far Cry 2 and wow, it's kind of boring. The voice acting is totally flat and the Diamonds are such an uninteresting collectible. Also the character not really being a character and just some random mercenary makes the plot have no real weight at all. I am playing on easy because I heard it's the hardest, but there's nothing really there about it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
In Lost Judgment there's a dancing minigame. Your character is put on the spot to dance in front of a bunch of amateur dancers, and repeatedly makes it plain that they "have never danced before". Result? Perfect, professional-grade dance performance.

Like, it's not a big deal, it just seems silly to create a nonsensical outcome like that. Like, you could have them say, "Oh, I used to dance but its been a while, I might not be that good" if you want them to be reluctant and modest about it. The way they did it just feels like digging a logic hole to fall into.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I decided to give Nioh a break and try out Far Cry 2 and wow, it's kind of boring. The voice acting is totally flat and the Diamonds are such an uninteresting collectible. Also the character not really being a character and just some random mercenary makes the plot have no real weight at all. I am playing on easy because I heard it's the hardest, but there's nothing really there about it.

FC2 feels like a game that was supposed to be more ambitious but that didn't happen so you end up with a bunch of half baked systems. Like how it almost seems like there was going to be something with the different factions but you just work for both. Same with the companion stuff.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Gort posted:

In Lost Judgment there's a dancing minigame. Your character is put on the spot to dance in front of a bunch of amateur dancers, and repeatedly makes it plain that they "have never danced before". Result? Perfect, professional-grade dance performance.

Like, it's not a big deal, it just seems silly to create a nonsensical outcome like that. Like, you could have them say, "Oh, I used to dance but its been a while, I might not be that good" if you want them to be reluctant and modest about it. The way they did it just feels like digging a logic hole to fall into.

You've never played a Yakuza game before, have you

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

BioEnchanted posted:

You can tell that they had a lot of cool ideas for FC2 and almost none of them worked out in implementation. And the stuff they can brag about - fire spreads! Wacky emergent gameplay! - has all been done better since by now. It's an interesting game still but I don't think I'd actually recommend playing it to anyone.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Gort posted:

I started up Immortals: Fenyx Rising last night and had the exact same experience. The game starts by saying you were a simple shield bearer who had never seen combat, but your combat animations have you flipping all over the place and behaving like you’ve been in fights all your life.

They don’t do anything interesting with this rookie background too, so nothing would have been really lost if you were just a normal soldier.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

yo what the gently caress was that I just got killed by an environmental hazard in Deathloop while i was reading a note and thought the game was idle

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

The thing that dragged down Paradise Killer for me was the voice lines that player to give a sense of tone to the non-voiced acted written text. Usually, things like "Huh!?" "Yeah!" "Alright!" "Ummm . . .", the stuff paired with a chance in character portrait.

All of the ones in Paradise Killer, ALL of them, are super loving long and overwrought; entire phrases or almost lines of poetry. They often felt like they didn't capture the tone of the spoken text too. It was very distracting, and made it harder to focus on the game.

Really really enjoyed the game, honestly I feel like those voice lines are my only big complaint.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Wrr posted:

The thing that dragged down Paradise Killer for me was the voice lines that player to give a sense of tone to the non-voiced acted written text. Usually, things like "Huh!?" "Yeah!" "Alright!" "Ummm . . .", the stuff paired with a chance in character portrait.

Those are called "bark lines" and they are the second most cursed thing to come from anime games

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Those are called "bark lines" and they are the second most cursed thing to come from anime games

:haibrow:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

moosecow333 posted:

I started up Immortals: Fenyx Rising last night and had the exact same experience. The game starts by saying you were a simple shield bearer who had never seen combat, but your combat animations have you flipping all over the place and behaving like you’ve been in fights all your life.

They don’t do anything interesting with this rookie background too, so nothing would have been really lost if you were just a normal soldier.

For what it's worth, that is explained later in the game - keep going, I really enjoyed it!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gort posted:

Subverting expectations in an absurd way is what is commonly referred to as a joke.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm back to playing some more MGSV, this time with Quiet as an AI sniping buddy. She's super powerful and useful, but sometimes too aggressive. She keeps sniping guys as I'm trying to grab them and it's like, drat, I was gonna keep that dude alive to interrogate :rip:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm back to playing some more MGSV, this time with Quiet as an AI sniping buddy. She's super powerful and useful, but sometimes too aggressive. She keeps sniping guys as I'm trying to grab them and it's like, drat, I was gonna keep that dude alive to interrogate :rip:

You can set her to just spot people.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

Quiet was the best companion but dang I wish she didnt wear literal lingerie and present her bare rear end to you in the chopper over and over

Oh well, D-Dog was almost as good and had the added benefit of not being horribly embarrassing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You can set her to just spot people.

I think that's an option you only get a bit later, this was a couple of my first missions with her. I could be misremembering how the commands work though, I haven't played in a while and she's not my most used companion (just killing time until my best bud D-Dog becomes available).

e:

Manager Hoyden posted:

Quiet was the best companion but dang I wish she didnt wear literal lingerie and present her bare rear end to you in the chopper over and over

Oh well, D-Dog was almost as good and had the added benefit of not being horribly embarrassing

Like I said, Quiet's not my favorite, but she suddenly becomes a ton cooler and less embarrassing when you use the XOF fatigues. She could've been a cool character if she wasn't the millionth time a dude had created a videogame woman to be a sex object.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Sep 23, 2021

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Can't you give her the boss's outfit or something? I swear there was a less revealing option.

E: I'm dumb and can't read above me

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Like I said, Quiet's not my favorite, but she suddenly becomes a ton cooler and less embarrassing when you use the XOF fatigues. She could've been a cool character if she wasn't the millionth time a dude had created a videogame woman to be a sex object.

Don't you feel ashamed of your words and deeds when you say stuff like that?

That XOF outfit was the only way I could stomach her, but IIRC even those don't stop her from doing those embarrassing poses in the helicopter between missions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

That XOF outfit was the only way I could stomach her, but IIRC even those don't stop her from doing those embarrassing poses in the helicopter between missions.

She does, but at least that's the easiest part to ignore when she looks way more badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I had the same problem with Nier Automata. Absolutely adored the game (even though it’s anime) but I bought the DLC just to make those poor women put some clothes on.