Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
edit re: concerning terraforming in v3 god what a bad snipe

Decision: Drain the Swamp!
Effect: You can now actually live in DC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
"Improvement" is pretty good at covering stuff like canals and railways as well as regional industries etc, it would even go so far as to cover things like land clearance and shore defenses, if those are in the game.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Does it also remove all the clown pops from the state :rolleyes:

Re: the 'building' discussion, I don't think anyone's going to get confused to see a canal show up in a tab labelled 'buildings'. If you were really fussed, couldn't you just rename the entire 'buildings' section into 'structures' or 'infrastructure' or 'built infrastructure', since it seems to be where everything that uses 'infrastructure capacity' appears anyway? It seems to be a resource that's only used up by physical buildings, going by the dev diary. And similarly, if you want to be 'realistic' you can just rename 'X factory' into 'X factory district' or 'X factory complex' to indicate that it doesn't represent a single factory.

It seems like the kind of question where you have to balance the need to clearly and succinctly communicate information to the player without too much cruft, with the opportunity to teach the player a realistic sense of scale and geography (i.e. this is approx how many factories, literally, would have been in a region of this size in the 19th century).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
would clown be a profession, ethnicity, or standard of living

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Gort posted:

You wouldn't call a railroad or a canal a "building" either, though. You build them, but they're not buildings, because English.

Maybe "construction" or "improvement" would be a better catch-all term for everything including factories, barracks, canals, dockyards and railroads.

It's not actually correct but it's the sort of not actually correct that is accepted just fine in games all the time, not really a big deal.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
RTS games taught me that "town center" is somehow a building, my power over abstraction is floating high above petty squabbles over "mana" and "influence" and "buildings".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What do you mean? Throughout all cultures and time periods, towns have developed around a square two-story structure with two one-story rectangular wings perpendicular to each other.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Cease to Hope posted:

gently caress I hope not

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gort posted:

You wouldn't call a railroad or a canal a "building" either, though. You build them, but they're not buildings, because English.

Maybe "construction" or "improvement" would be a better catch-all term for everything including factories, barracks, canals, dockyards and railroads.

Development?

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

On this note, I hope the previous biomeleaves it's mark after improvement. In Northwest Ohio there's the Great Black Swamp, which is now drained to what is effectively Plains, and we grow a ton of beans and corn here now because the soil is so good. When it rains, the Swamp returns for a little bit, longer if the ditches aren't maintained.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I know it would be a performance pain in the rear end to do well but it'd be nice if instead of having Teak making all ships like 1% less expensive in maintenance, it gave a large bonus to specific ships made with it; because production from one region of the world is probably not enough to your whole navy and its neat to have conceptually the idea of having more powerful ships as being a function of how they're actual made specifically instead of being abstracted behind tech; rather instead it would be more neat for tech to enable larger and cheap production of such goods to improve your units. For more granular militaries, economies, etc.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cease to Hope posted:

It's a religion.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
dont worry there's gonna be a day 1 mod to replace all "buildings" with "factroys" anyway

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
My stupid pops are obsessed with building clown factories.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Can't to spend forty years trying to pass the 'Free Clown College' education reform

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Reports on
MAJOR DISCOVERY
Scientists in our country have discovered:
MIMES

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's a religion.

EU4 reformation DLC but it's Funny Clowning vs Spooky Clowning

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The thirty years war starts because I added pratfalls to the holy canon

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

Reports on
MAJOR DISCOVERY
Scientists in our country have discovered:
MIMES

Wars between great powers will now become great wars

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

Interest group representing most content creators, middle managers and politicians.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

vs "the midway security toughs are out there dressed like clowns," somehow also including the gang fights between competing circus caravans in the winter-stayover towns, please

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Three Stooges successfully lead a clownarchist uprising that turns the US into a jester's paradise

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Wiz posted:

It doesn't make any sense for quite a few buildings, like barracks or canals, to be called an industry.

Are you talking about canals in "provides Infrastructure" sense or in "ships can go through land" sense? Or something else?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

NO GODS
OR MASTERS
ONLY CLOWNS

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

a space station 13 mod seems like it would be too small scale for Vicky 3 bit I'm down

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Add clown as an accepted culture for -5000 prestige and +20 Militancy for all Security pops

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Agean90 posted:

a space station 13 mod seems like it would be too small scale for Vicky 3 bit I'm down

oh no the assistants have radicalized

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
Automobile demand is just one for every 12 clown pops.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Agean90 posted:

think bigger: a dominions mod for v3

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Jazerus posted:

Age 385
:gonk: lich clowns

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Day 1 Clownmod for Vic3, replacing the "clink!" noise of accumulating money with a squeaky rubber honk. We demand it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jazerus posted:

Oh man, this would be great! :D The introduction of a Dominions mod would also be a brilliant time to invest in candle factories for your nation, due to the increased demand for spreading the True Faith of Slapstickism

(Still not sure why there's such an obsession with candles to represent faith, in that game)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1441069939599806468?s=20

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Great diary, as nice as the economic stuff is, I am, in fact, a map game player, so how the map functions regarding states and regions is very appealing to know about.

The concept of Homelands is interesting too, and it sounds different than cores. Might be a way to get around Serbia having cores on half of the Balkans for the entire game.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah my reading is that incorporated states are basically the economic parts of cores from previous games, but homelands are the diplomatic part. Although the dev responses do note that you get a claim if an incorporated state is taken from you, but I imagine it needs to be a full Homeland state to trigger revanchism/get really good CBs.

lachek posted:

We know what Pops are in which Buildings, we know where the different city hubs are in the state, and we can reasonably compute which province a given number of levels of a building might be in. What this means is that we can determine as-needed which Pop "might" be in which province. This is then used to determine which Pops, building levels, etc go where in case of a split.

This saves us from tracking the mostly-useless information of which Pop is in which province at any given time, which would bloat the game a lot, but still lets us approximate it as needed. Otherwise we'd have to, for example, split a single Peasant Pop of 1 million people into 50 Pops of 20,000 people each if those Peasants are equally spread across the state's 50 provinces, even though by our game rules they could all pack up and take another job in the same state tomorrow.

So provinces really are solely for war pretty much. That's a good change.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Zeron posted:

Yeah my reading is that incorporated states are basically the economic parts of cores from previous games, but homelands are the diplomatic part. Although the dev responses do note that you get a claim if an incorporated state is taken from you, but I imagine it needs to be a full Homeland state to trigger revanchism/get really good CBs.

I think pdox games have had too many provinces for a while, and hopefully this is one way to kinda pare it down a bit. If they actually had the balls to do it i'd love it, but i understand gamers like big number so the province quantity has to be huge.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Hudson's Bay Company world conquest. You'll buy our overpriced clothes and lovely perfumes at bayonet's point

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zeron posted:

I feel like homelands are probably going to be a big deal for independence movements as well.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Zeron posted:

I kind of hope that this split of incorporated states and homelands puts cores down for good. Cores in V2 were extremely limited and artificial feeling. They didn't easily change. And one of the most important parts of Victoria to me, and also it sounds like to the design team, is this possibility of taking your nation in a new direction, growing it, and having the game and its systems acknowledge the work you've put in. I want it to be possible for Britain to firmly integrate parts of India with enough effort, not just leave them as colonial states for the rest of the game. I want it to be possible for the US to conquer Canada and admit every Canadian province to the Union. And Victoria 2's system just didn't account for this very well. The former with Britain would never happen because you would never be able to get enough British bureaucrats into India to incorporate a state, and while you probably could incorporate Alberta as a US state, it would never be considered a core. It feels like the older more hardcoded Paradox generations than EU4, where with enough time and points you could core any state and with limited exceptions remove other cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Cantorsdust posted:

I kind of hope that this split of incorporated states and homelands puts cores down for good. Cores in V2 were extremely limited and artificial feeling. They didn't easily change. And one of the most important parts of Victoria to me, and also it sounds like to the design team, is this possibility of taking your nation in a new direction, growing it, and having the game and its systems acknowledge the work you've put in. I want it to be possible for Britain to firmly integrate parts of India with enough effort, not just leave them as colonial states for the rest of the game. I want it to be possible for the US to conquer Canada and admit every Canadian province to the Union. And Victoria 2's system just didn't account for this very well. The former with Britain would never happen because you would never be able to get enough British bureaucrats into India to incorporate a state, and while you probably could incorporate Alberta as a US state, it would never be considered a core. It feels like the older more hardcoded Paradox generations than EU4, where with enough time and points you could core any state and with limited exceptions remove other cores.

One of the interesting things is that I'm 99% sure that cores never disappear in Vicky 2, if a state starts as a core of a nation it will stay that way until 1936, same with any cores that you ended up gaining. Also, I believe a core can appear in any state, I'm pretty sure the USA could core Alberta, you would just need to wait for the random event to pop up. The main problem would be getting the state in the first place, The UK can kick the USA's rear end for like 80-100% of the game's timeline.

Also, I think should be hard if not downright impossible for the UK to make any territory in India a state. France tried and failed to do that with Algeria, and that had a smaller population. Plus it was literally just across from the Mediterranean.