Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Do you guys measure rainwater in acre-feet? You never heard of megalitres?

Actually I think that's a really good unit because whenever I think about agricultural water use I have to convert from megalitres to rain cm x km^2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
personally almonds affect my foothill rear end because downstream demands can change the amount of water the local districts keep in their reservoirs. it hasn't happened yet but theoretically you could see them getting emptied out because the elected assholes on the board decided to sell 'excess' off. there's not a ton of ground water in the sierras, it's largely all rain accumulation and there's been garbage snow packs (some years, not any) so it could get rough if some guy waves his almond money check around to buy out Union Valley or something.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

The Artificial Kid posted:

Do you guys measure rainwater in acre-feet? You never heard of megalitres?

Actually I think that's a really good unit because whenever I think about agricultural water use I have to convert from megalitres to rain cm x km^2

Acre-feet is the standard here because historically it's about the amount of water used by a family in a year. Pretty sure the average Californian home uses less these days though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rainbow Knight posted:

kind of surprised that alfalfa takes up so much water since the big grocery chain i work for and others in UFCW have stopped carrying alfalfa in any form because of its susceptibility to e.coli and such. where is it all going?

To China

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

China is the primary export partner for alfalfa, but it's actually the EU and India these days that are buying up all of our almond harvest. China used to be a much larger player in that space but they slapped huge tariffs on them in response to Trump's trade war a couple years ago and have mostly shifted their importing to other countries.

One wonders how long California can keep going as one of the world's major breadbaskets. Pasture, alfalfa, almonds, rice, etc are grown in abundance here but at some point if current climate trends continue there's just not gonna be enough water for that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

China is the primary export partner for alfalfa, but it's actually the EU and India these days that are buying up all of our almond harvest. China used to be a much larger player in that space but they slapped huge tariffs on them in response to Trump's trade war a couple years ago and have mostly shifted their importing to other countries.

One wonders how long California can keep going as one of the world's major breadbaskets. Pasture, alfalfa, almonds, rice, etc are grown in abundance here but at some point if current climate trends continue there's just not gonna be enough water for that.

According to some climate scientists, 18 years, tops.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Sydin posted:

We already don't have enough water for it. We're drawing so much faster than the aquifers replenish. Soon the entire central valley will be sinking yearly as empty aquafers collapse in on themselves.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

CompeAnansi posted:

We already don't have enough water for it. We're drawing so much faster than the aquifers replenish. Soon the entire central valley will be sinking yearly as empty aquafers collapse in on themselves.

Who's this we? I ain't drawing poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I for one can't wait till I can go free diving for lost treasures in the new Gulf of Stockton once the sea levels rise. Y'all better watch out for the hillbillies. I'm gonna get a canoe and paddle over all the rapids where unmaintained dams used to be, all painted up with blackberry warpaint. At the rate this state feels like it's falling apart, that's probably 2024.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Centrist Committee posted:

Also, what's this "soon"?

Edit: P.S., Make Tulare Lake Blue Again

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Resnicks and Nestle.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Larry Parrish posted:

I for one can't wait till I can go free diving for lost treasures in the new Gulf of Stockton once the sea levels rise. Y'all better watch out for the hillbillies. I'm gonna get a canoe and paddle over all the rapids where unmaintained dams used to be, all painted up with blackberry warpaint. At the rate this state feels like it's falling apart, that's probably 2024.

i once helped work on a feasibility study for sea level rise mitigation on the coast between santa cruz and monterey

the idea was to see how expensive it would be to elevate portions of highway 1 and put a rail line already running east of there up on a longass trestle, as part of a larger proposal

the flooding we were looking at for that area was 50+ years into the future, when such measures would start becoming necessary

you've got plenty of time before they need to start worrying about damming off the central valley from the ocean, probably not even during your lifetime

though ofc we could always get another megastorm rainfall event like what flooded sacramento last time

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

though ofc we could always get another megastorm rainfall event like what flooded sacramento last time

lmao its never raining here again

the upcoming rainy season has already been written off due to el nina

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Alfalfa sprouts are delicious in sandwiches with a bit of mayo. Didn't realize how much water they suck up though.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Vegetable posted:

Alfalfa sprouts are delicious in sandwiches with a bit of mayo. Didn't realize how much water they suck up though.

You are individually and personally responsible for burning down half the state, sinner!!!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Vegetable posted:

Are the sprouts a problem? I have a 5-tier home grow tray setup about 30cm in diameter that needs all of like a cup of water/day for 4 days to make a ton of sprouts. It's not like growing a mature plant for feed.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

lmao its never raining here again

the upcoming rainy season has already been written off due to el nina

long-term, climate change is supposed to make california's annual rainfall actually increase but shrink the rainy season by about a month, making a 2 month concentrated winter flood time followed by a nice 10 month long drought and fire season.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I don't think alfalfa is particularly high water usage on a per-yield basis. It's high on the list of total water usage because there's a whole lot of it grown to feed cows. It's inefficient since it's plant->cow food->human food, but that's common to all silage crops. Eating sprouts directly as human food isn't water intensive. Farms will water alfalfa heavier per acre than other things, but that's because it's deep rooted and can use that water to increase yield/land (it's actually fairly drought tolerant, it just stops growing when it's dry)

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Check out this as an example of how widespread the problem is becoming. It's not just Nestle and Wonderful, it's happening throughout the agricultural system: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/08/well-fixers-story-california-drought/619753/

EDIT: If you are paywalled by the Atlantic, you can read the article here: https://outline.com/NbZBt4

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 22, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

CompeAnansi posted:

Check out this as an example of how widespread the problem is becoming. It's not just Nestle and Wonderful, it's happening throughout the agricultural system: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/08/well-fixers-story-california-drought/619753/

EDIT: If you are paywalled by the Atlantic, you can read the article here: https://outline.com/NbZBt4

I get it, the point is I am not a billionaire, nor am I capitalist, and I don't appreciate being rhetorically included in some performative flagellation, indicting all of humanity, just because liberals are morons who can't see class.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foxfire_ posted:

I don't think alfalfa is particularly high water usage on a per-yield basis. It's high on the list of total water usage because there's a whole lot of it grown to feed cows. It's inefficient since it's plant->cow food->human food, but that's common to all silage crops. Eating sprouts directly as human food isn't water intensive. Farms will water alfalfa heavier per acre than other things, but that's because it's deep rooted and can use that water to increase yield/land (it's actually fairly drought tolerant, it just stops growing when it's dry)

i know a few people with old rear end farms that shut down forever ago and their grandparents or whatever just planted alfalfa and watered it for a season or two just for the erosion control, since you can't really just leave an empty field totally empty like that without eroding all the topsoil. it's less windy in the foothills, but not by much.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Foxfire_ posted:

The problem with alfalfa is there's no reason to grow it in California. It can grow basically anywhere that's not a desert. So why use our precious water to grow it when the south gets 50" of rain every year?

Almond trees on the other hand are very sensitive to frost and need tons of sunshine, but they are also sensitive to root rot so they can't get too much rain. They basically can only grow in Mediterranean climates and most of the actual Mediterranean grows other crops. Because of that California produces the majority of world's almonds.

Due to their limited supply and the huge demand for almond products, they are an extremely valuable crop. There is no way that half measures like increasing water costs or adding a luxury tax will stop farmers from growing almonds. They will simply raise the price and pass the cost on to consumers. There needs to be a hard limit to the number of acres planted in a given area to ensure that water supply is conserved.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

fermun posted:

long-term, climate change is supposed to make california's annual rainfall actually increase but shrink the rainy season by about a month, making a 2 month concentrated winter flood time followed by a nice 10 month long drought and fire season.

Do you / others have a source that covers this for other regions as well? I've been thinking for a while now that it would be nice to have a state-by-state breakdown of projected climate change effects that actually tries to get specific, while still being readable to not-a-climate-scientist.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

That article addressed exactly that.
Things like drip irrigation were supposed to conserve water, but instead it let them grow almonds in new areas, so they use even more water now.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

I get it, the point is I am not a billionaire, nor am I capitalist, and I don't appreciate being rhetorically included in some performative flagellation, indicting all of humanity, just because liberals are morons who can't see class.

Totally agree, actually. I hate that residential use is even a consideration in debates over water use. Residential use is basically irrelevant. The 'we' in the original post was just referring to all the people living in the state, but I agree that most of us shouldn't have been included in that we.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

CompeAnansi posted:

Totally agree, actually. I hate that residential use is even a consideration in debates over water use. Residential use is basically irrelevant. The 'we' in the original post was just referring to all the people living in the state, but I agree that most of us shouldn't have been included in that we.

Yeah even then "residential use" can be classified into lawn/pool havers those who are righteous in the eyes of God.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah even then "residential use" can be classified into lawn/pool havers those who are righteous in the eyes of God.

Lawns, sure, but pools are typically a closed system. Typically, the only loss and replacement of water is needed for evaporation.

Blessings,
Righteous pool owner in the eyes of God

e: https://katchakid.com/pool-evaporation/#:~:text=The%20average%20pool%20water%20evaporation,and%20the%20factors%20listed%20above.

quote:

Water evaporation rates vary based on water temperature, air temperature, wind speed, wind volatility, sun exposure, and humidity levels. The average pool water evaporation rate is about a quarter of an inch of water per day or more than two inches in a week, which on a 33′ x 18′ swimming pool (an average pool size) is more than 2500 liters or approximately 600 gallons a week; this may vary depending on your climate and the factors listed above.

Huh, learn something new every day! 2" of water a week does seem a bit excessive, however.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 23, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Lawns, sure, but pools are typically a closed system. Typically, the only loss and replacement of water is needed for evaporation.

Blessings,

Repent thy sins, apostate!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Blessings,

e: https://katchakid.com/pool-evaporation/#:~:text=The%20average%20pool%20water%20evaporation,and%20the%20factors%20listed%20above.

Huh, learn something new every day! 2" of water a week does seem a bit excessive, however.

they make a chemical "pool cover" you can add that's basically an oil that floats on top and reduces evaporation

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Doesn't a regular pool cover also help prevent evaporation?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Glass of Milk posted:

they don't make pool covers large enough to cover almond farms

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

Yes, and they work really well at avoiding evaporation.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

they don't make pool covers large enough to cover almond farms

They do make them large enough to cover almond farmers, though (in Minecraft)

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Just make the farmers pay for the loving water at anything near a reasonable rate (we are very slowly already doing this, it’s why you see all the angry signs on the five) and they’ll implement irrigation best practices on their own once it’s actually metered.

CA farmers are some of the biggest whiny shitheads imaginable and the image of humble honest yeoman farmers doing honest labor to support their families by providing food can’t die fast enough. Treat their workers like poo poo, devastate the local environment, get subsidized all over the place, and expect to be lauded as heroes for it.

My most tankie opinion is definitely that agriculture should be in some way collectively owned. If we’re going to subsidize it this heavily just cut out the middleman.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Sometimes I suspect the real split in politics is as much about whether you want government to help people or punish your perceived enemies as it is whether you're on the left or the right.

Yeah, I’ve noticed a few public figures even, people I used to agree with or even respect, just become increasingly unmoored as the guiding star of their politics became more and more owning THOSE loving SMUG PMC BRUNCH LIBS or something similar.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 23, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Fill Baptismal posted:

Just make the farmers pay for the loving water at anything near a reasonable rate (we are very slowly already doing this, it’s why you see all the angry signs on the five) and they’ll implement irrigation best practices on their own once it’s actually metered.
Read that Atlantic piece for why this won't do anything. So long as its profitable to grow almonds, people will find ways to grow more almonds.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah, the whole idea is to make it unprofitable to grow water intensive crops like almonds (or at least less profitable) by making the water required cost more. Water doesn’t cost enough for them now, but if it did, almonds wouldn’t be as profitable to grow, at least in the current fashion.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

That would just impact less profitable crops more, causing more people to switch to almonds to keep making a profit.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It would impact crops that require water more, which is the bad thing about almonds (shitloads of water). If there are even more water intensive crops that are less profitable I guess that could happen, sure. But the goal is to reduce water used, not necessarily stop almonds from being grown.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

eSporks posted:

That would just impact less profitable crops more, causing more people to switch to almonds to keep making a profit.

Then there will be so many almonds in the market causing the price of almonds go down. The market once again solves the problems of Capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FEEED my my ALMOOOONDS, mister NEWSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM