Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Unless posted:

finally got around to adding this to Plex and AW YEA PUT THAT BRUTAL CRITICISM IT IN MY VEINS

from a review of that film

quote:

Planet of the Humans certainly makes many important and illuminating points, especially about the co-opting of environmental causes by corporate interests who use it mainly for positive branding purposes. But its despairing tone and overall atmosphere of purity testing may have the counterproductive effect of making you want to throw up your hands and ignore the environmental movement’s significant progress in recent decades. The loosely structured assemblage of damning information eventually proves more numbing than illuminating.

"despairing tone"
"significant progress"
"more numbing than illuminating"

paraphrased - 'it makes me feel bad so i'm going to give it a negative review'

lol. lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Bill Maher had a "New Rule" about 2-3 weeks ago where he advocated for moving water from the East to the West.

"Don't tell me it can't be done, there've been studies and we have oil pipelines all over the place!"

Yeah, except those tend to travel over flat plains, not over continental divides. And he never brings up *volume*. The pipe width that would be needed would be...Brobdingnagian.

The general message was "*I* personally don't want to have to move from where I'm comfortable because of the consequences of climate change, so literally move heaven and hundreds of trillions of tons of earth so I don't have to." :colbert:

Here's the clip if you can stand seven minutes of near-LD50 levels of :colbert: and :smug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAsExSNfNXQ

Loving this post. Good posting here folks, jot this down.

Anyway, who had East Coast/West Coast Civil Water War on their bingo card?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Trabisnikof posted:

please we've had a plan to do this for over 70 years now

the best part is that the chinese actually did their own

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Epitope posted:

Obama is a prime case of using hope as a tool to manipulate and subvert. Still, if there's such a thing as a good human endeavor (how about environmentalism?), seems hope can be employed there too.

hope is the greatest evil lurking in pandora's box

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

as long as we are still burning fossil fuels we haven't made significant progress lmao

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Hubbert posted:

post it on every board, plaster it on every open wall, tattoo it on every newborn's arm, burn it into the loving moon

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
[Hacking Pepsi's Night Sky Disc Array Advertising (NSDAA) to read "Give Up Hope"]

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Trabisnikof posted:

I've always heard (And told people as a fun factoid) that the Army Corp of Engineers had a plan in the forties to dam the entire Rocky Mountain Trench, but I've never actually seen it on paper. OMG.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

[Hacking Pepsi's Night Sky Disc Array Advertising (NSDAA) to read "Give Up Hope"]

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Hubbert posted:

the best part is that the chinese actually did their own

The Chinese actually have long term goals and aren't just about padding high scores for the elite.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Cold on a Cob posted:

from a review of that film

"despairing tone"
"significant progress"
"more numbing than illuminating"

paraphrased - 'it makes me feel bad so i'm going to give it a negative review'

lol. lmao.

lol

imma guess the reviewer isn’t part of any marginalized communities

this soundtrack is killerrrrrr, crimson king, and holy gently caress the raw footage of the animal fat biofuel plant just hurling full cattle and horse corpses into the giant grinder with Black Sabbath in the background was so fkin’ :black101:

e: oof, sad monkey :smith: good to know I still feel

e2: motherfucker I saw that Dave Smith Instruments special thanks, glad he could get a prophet outta this :unsmith:

Unless has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Sep 23, 2021

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

IAMKOREA posted:

also, and this is really important so don't forget it, they're not actually going to do loving poo poo to stop methane emissions, even the low hanging fruit anthropogenic ones

i've posted this before but XTO energy had a well blowout in Ohio or Pennsylvania and, well....

https://www.theintelligencer.net/news/top-headlines/2019/12/study-2018-powhatan-methane-leak-one-of-the-largest-in-u-s/

lmao

oh my godddd laffo

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hubbert posted:

Seems odd, guess time for this padawan to meditate

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

A better solution would be to nuke the west coast, and the east coast while you're at it.

edit:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Here's the clip if you can stand seven minutes of near-LD50 levels of :colbert: and :smug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAsExSNfNXQ
This is a great video to watch after Cadillac Desert.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 23:22 on Sep 23, 2021

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lostconfused posted:

A better solution would be to nuke the west coast, and the east coast while you're at it.

why stop at america

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Rime posted:

I've always heard (And told people as a fun factoid) that the Army Corp of Engineers had a plan in the forties to dam the entire Rocky Mountain Trench, but I've never actually seen it on paper. OMG.

they could just take this and cover it so it doesnt evaporate, and cover that part with solar panels. but that would cost like 1 afghanistan war or something.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rime posted:

yeah that's from the scheme for the "north american water and power alliance"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Water_and_Power_Alliance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORRUJyt7AIo

you can read a brochure here: https://cawaterlibrary.net/document/nawapa-north-american-water-and-power-alliance/?author_id=380&post_type=product&_sf_s=Smith

crazy stuff lol

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Could it be that we don't need lush golf courses in Phoenix Arizona?

No. It is the east coast that has water they won't give to me.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Hubbert posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVs_f_R6ZxQ

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

my favorite art project that came out of ows, the anti-banality union, is finishing their next detournemont, EARTH II

https://vimeo.com/549735357

their other smashcuts on the desire for apocalypse in UNCLEAR HOLOCAUST, the secret deathwish behind law enforcement, POLICE MORTALITY, and the drain of constant crisis, STATE OF EMERGENCE, are all mega pro-clicks, and it’s crazy how much more relevant they’ve gotten in the 7+ years since they were made
https://vimeo.com/42724320
https://vimeo.com/60394827
https://vimeo.com/113643919

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Mel Brooks was so ahead of his time ...

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Unless posted:

lol

imma guess the reviewer isn’t part of any marginalized communities

this soundtrack is killerrrrrr, crimson king, and holy gently caress the raw footage of the animal fat biofuel plant just hurling full cattle and horse corpses into the giant grinder with Black Sabbath in the background was so fkin’ :black101:

e: oof, sad monkey :smith: good to know I still feel

e2: motherfucker I saw that Dave Smith Instruments special thanks, glad he could get a prophet outta this :unsmith:

gently caress guess I gotta watch it too now

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Anger is just a manifestation of depression and it was silly to split them into distinct categories. Well I mean generally grief doesn't work in those stages in that order or anything, but they're all in the mix.

Ehhh not really. Depression isn't really :( it's more of I just do not have the energy to do anything and everything that once brought me joy is empty. The thing about the five stages thing is besides bargaining you will never really like... get over the other stages. You will always sometimes get depressed about the thing or anger even denial pops up when someone dies every now and again.

Unlike death climate change is kind of abstract. It's not a meteor or something with a final inflection point people can just kinda hope that someone will figure things out or maybe it won't get any worse right up until their death if they choose to.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the stages of grief are completely made up. it makes even less sense to try to apply it to our relationships with the environment.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, idiots

weather aren't emotions

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

the stages of grief are completely made up. it makes even less sense to try to apply it to our relationships with the environment.

It has nothing to do with our relationship to the environment and just someone going through the process of realizing that life as they know it is going to end a lot harder and sooner than they were expecting.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
weather aren't emotions

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Sedisp posted:

Ehhh not really. Depression isn't really :( it's more of I just do not have the energy to do anything and everything that once brought me joy is empty.

Suffered it for 20 years friend. But you didn't define anger.

Depression is defined by an inward focused rage. Something, whatever it may be, overwhelms your capacity to tolerate the stimuli. Now at that point you can either resolve the issue or continue to suffer. However, when the capacity to resolve the issue is beyond your capabilities this abundance of energy (overwhelmed) has no expression. Because it is now trapped, as it were, something's gotta give. So rage becomes manifest. It can go inward, into the self as the object of focus (dimming of what is outside the self) - depression. Or it can go outward, into others as the object of focus (dimming what is inside the self) - anger.

A common thought of the depressive is "I hate the world, I hate everyone, I hate myself"; it's the same for the perpetually angry, but one clause shorter.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rectal Death Adept posted:

yeah, idiots

weather aren't emotions

F5 tornados dont care about your feelings

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

A common thought of the depressive is "I hate the world, I hate everyone, I hate myself"; it's the same for the perpetually angry, but one clause shorter.

Spite, sadly, can only keep you going for so long.
But Hate..
Oh such lovely hate, burning itself into the mind until nothing else remains.

HATE!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

don't forget to vote guys

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So you're telling me Yoda is leading me astray

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lmao bill maher

god he's such a fuckin tool. i can't stand him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mediaphage posted:

lmao bill maher

god he's such a fuckin tool. i can't stand him.

"I don't want a lot, I just want someone to develop a series of tubes for moving billions of gallons of water nearly 3000 miles across/around/over enormous geographic obstacles so I can keep living in Los Angeles!" :downs:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Suffered it for 20 years friend.

I mean same.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Depression is defined by an inward focused rage. Something, whatever it may be, overwhelms your capacity to tolerate the stimuli. Now at that point you can either resolve the issue or continue to suffer. However, when the capacity to resolve the issue is beyond your capabilities this abundance of energy (overwhelmed) has no expression. Because it is now trapped, as it were, something's gotta give. So rage becomes manifest. It can go inward, into the self as the object of focus (dimming of what is outside the self) - depression. Or it can go outward, into others as the object of focus (dimming what is inside the self) - anger.

I dunno. At least in my experience my depressive sates are some of the most unproductive listless times. I don't feel anger at anything. Its just an empty hole where feelings used to be and the anger comes later at my inabilty to do anything about being depressed cause of how much time I pissed away. I'm at least doing things when I'm enraged. But maybe I'm not understanding. Unless are you like saying anger is more of a misunderstood concept and what we call depression is inward focused anger that just obviously can't be productive?

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
i'm thinking about that scene in bone tomahawk where the guy's upside down after getting scalped and getting hacked into two halves from his rear end in a top hat with an ax, and his buddy in the prison cell is yelling "don't worry! the cavalry is coming! we're gonna kill all these fuckers! we're gonna avenge you!" and then afterwards the other survivor in the prison cell asks him "is that true? the cavalry's coming?"

and the guy replies "nope. but what would you want to hear if you were getting cut into loving two?"

just thinking about that

the cavalry isn't coming

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Alobar posted:

the cavalry isn't coming

And the robber barons think they can hide in space because ~reasons~.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

remembering that r/relationships post that was like "my entire friend group got drunk and cheated on their spouses with each other in the bang bus party bus i chartered for us all to see a bill maher show taping, what should i do??"

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://youtu.be/FsIFxares8M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

God Hole posted:

remembering that r/relationships post that was like "my entire friend group got drunk and cheated on their spouses with each other in the bang bus party bus i chartered for us all to see a bill maher show taping, what should i do??"

keep ur mf'in mouths shut thats what lol