Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

borkencode posted:

Love when a 30 minute interview ends after 20 minutes, and you're not sure if that's a good or bad thing, and the guy interviewing you said they'll reach out about next steps, so that's maybe a good sign, or maybe it's just boilerplate he says at the end of an interview, and and and...

If they had a 5 minute buffer at the end for the candidate to ask questions then it sounds like you just finished a little bit early. As others mentioned, you likely have satisfactory answers right off the bat without the need to ask clarifying questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I don't really have anything else in the pipeline now, so that's certainly part of the nervousness. Tend to self-reject myself from a lot of the listings I've seen since I feel like I've gotten out of touch with most of the hot new tech things that I'm seeing in job descriptions.

I've also been of the mindset that interview running long means it's been going well, they're interested in what you're saying and want to hear more about what a smart cool person you are. In any case I haven't heard anything back yet, so it must not have been terrible enough for them to want to reject me first thing today.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
So I have a friend who is starting a business and he wants me to do the development. I don't think this will replace my job, just some dev stuff on the side. This would be my first contract and he is a friend so what would pricing look like? At first it's just a landing page but will eventually be a place to rent board games. So login/users/db, ability to pay online. Are there any good resources that might be useful for development and small businesses?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

borkencode posted:

Love when a 30 minute interview ends after 20 minutes, and you're not sure if that's a good or bad thing, and the guy interviewing you said they'll reach out about next steps, so that's maybe a good sign, or maybe it's just boilerplate he says at the end of an interview, and and and...

It can be hard to tell. As I've learned over the last few months being in the interviewer role, interview timing can be super fickle and vary a lot between candidates, especially if the nature of the interview is subjective/qualitative.

In my particular interview (frontend/UX screen), going over initially meant that my estimation for how long the interview would take was poo poo, so then after I revised it a little and blocked off additional time, they stopped going over so much. The ones that went short were ones where either the candidate was awesome and completely nailed it, negating the need for followup questions, or the candidate wasn't so awesome and gave me curt answers that they didn't expand on at all even when prompted, or the candidate was bad and I abridged the question selection so the candidate can effectively complete the interview and receive a polite rejection later rather than being abruptly cut off and possibly left feeling like poo poo for bombing so hard that the interview got cut short.

It could also be as simple as having ample buffer time blocked off on the calendar.

Also when I end an interview and know I'm definitely not going to advance the candidate, I'm more likely to use "will be in touch" type language than "next steps" because there are no next steps and I'm honest to a fault sometimes and don't feel comfortable leading them on/giving false hope. :negative:

This could just be me - I have no idea how other interviewers handle these sorts of semantics.

Interviewing is exhausting (though not as bad as being across the table). I've been at it for a few months but I think it's finally ending because offers were accepted on both positions we were filling. Been meaning to write a post about it - over the last few months I designed and wrote the interview and then conducted it with lots of candidates. When I got feedback from candidates, it was quite positive - it was unusual but in a good way and that it actually evaluated relevant skills/knowledge/aptitude, unlike algo/leetcode gauntlets they'd they'd endured at other places. So that went a long way in suppressing my imposter syndrome, at least for a while.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

So I have a friend who is starting a business and he wants me to do the development. I don't think this will replace my job, just some dev stuff on the side. This would be my first contract and he is a friend so what would pricing look like? At first it's just a landing page but will eventually be a place to rent board games. So login/users/db, ability to pay online. Are there any good resources that might be useful for development and small businesses?

Don't do business with friends or family if you can avoid it, in my opinion. You run into issues of commitment to the business vs. commitment to the relationship and it can easily get very hairy. E.g. imagine if they decide to commit to this business as the source of their livelihood, while you're only doing it as a side gig. They still need your work, but it's not a priority for you...that can color every interaction you have with them.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Queen Victorian posted:

Also when I end an interview and know I'm definitely not going to advance the candidate, I'm more likely to use "will be in touch" type language than "next steps" because there are no next steps and I'm honest to a fault sometimes and don't feel comfortable leading them on/giving false hope. :negative:

This could just be me - I have no idea how other interviewers handle these sorts of semantics.

I try to essentially follow a script detailing the process. But I don't pay too much attention to my tone or facial expressions, so people are likely able to tell how I'm feeling about it. I don't normally run into situations where it's close or not completely obvious whether to continue until feedback sessions on the on site.

Worst one was a candidate flubbing a tech interview so bad they asked to end it early. :smith:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Echoing "don't do business with friends"

A reasonable market rate for software development is minimum $150/hr. Charge by the hour, not flat rate. Take into account hosting costs (i.e. your friend is going to pay them). Take into account ongoing support -- your time isn't free.

This also sounds like something that would be reasonably easy to find off the shelf and probably doesn't need a bespoke application.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Agreed with TooMuchAbstraction. There's also the problem that a dev's time is worth at minimum a $100 an hour, and potentially multiples of that, and it's not worth paying them to design a landing page or website when you can do it yourself or pay someone who specializes in design.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

This is why shopify exists - id direct them towards that

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Queen Victorian posted:

I end all my screens with something like "your recruiter will be in touch". Just keeps it easy for me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My wife and mother in law put together an impressive e-commerce site with Shopify to be a reseller of XYZ C-list celebrity endorsed stuff. Took them about 30 minutes to get it running, and another 4 hours to make it look pretty high end

Unless you're building the next Amazon or have some Very Specific Use Case, they should launch with Shopify. You can always export the product list as csv and reimport it elsewhere

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you need enough interviews in the pipeline to not give a gently caress. givin a gently caress is a sign of too few

:yeah:

Not even necessarily "in the pipeline", just being aware you can get them. If you don't need a new job Right This Second you should always try to be in a position where you can just walk away from interviews you don't like and get more next week.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

leper khan posted:

I try to essentially follow a script detailing the process. But I don't pay too much attention to my tone or facial expressions, so people are likely able to tell how I'm feeling about it. I don't normally run into situations where it's close or not completely obvious whether to continue until feedback sessions on the on site.

Worst one was a candidate flubbing a tech interview so bad they asked to end it early. :smith:

I never had a candidate ask to end early, but I did have a candidate hang up on me mid-call and never call back. There was no video so I have absolutely no idea what happened.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ensign Expendable posted:

I never had a candidate ask to end early, but I did have a candidate hang up on me mid-call and never call back. There was no video so I have absolutely no idea what happened.

Did you start asking about the blockchain experience?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're not getting at least three recruiter contacts a day on LinkedIn, you need to really work on keyword optimizing your profile

I like to unwind at the end of a long day with a glass of wine and review all the jobs opportunities recruiters wave in front of me

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Just started talking to recruiters and have a couple interviews this week. I am pretty poo poo at leetcode, I can probably do easy problems but beyond that I am rusty/bad. Should I pause the interviewing and take a month or two to really git gud?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

a dingus posted:

Just started talking to recruiters and have a couple interviews this week. I am pretty poo poo at leetcode, I can probably do easy problems but beyond that I am rusty/bad. Should I pause the interviewing and take a month or two to really git gud?

If any of those companies are ones you really want to work for, probably. If not, just treat them as practice and continue studying in between.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

rt4 posted:

Did you start asking about the blockchain experience?

This was before the blockchain, sadly.

Hadlock posted:

If you're not getting at least three recruiter contacts a day on LinkedIn, you need to really work on keyword optimizing your profile

I like to unwind at the end of a long day with a glass of wine and review all the jobs opportunities recruiters wave in front of me

Mmm yes I would love a $50,000 year-long contract for a jquery job in Mississauga, tell me more

a dingus posted:

Not all interviews are leetcode grinds. Our coding interview is actually quite simple, the idea is to see how you interact with an existing codebase rather than crank out sick algorithms.

You definitely want to be comfortable having someone describe a problem to you over Zoom and writing a solution (either pseudocode or working) under time pressure though.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I get a few recruiter contacts a day on linkedin despite not having visited the linkedin website for a few years. Occasionally they're funny because of how terrible of an idea the startup is, but it's sorta amazing how identical 99% of them are. There's just a boilerplate pitch which all of them use and just stick the company name, field, and my name (usually...) into.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my favorite was when oldjob was having trouble using internal recruiters for infosec, so they hired some external folks

those external folks tried to pitch my own job to me. i probably should've seen how far i could take the process

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

Hadlock posted:

Harsh, I get a few a week and feel pretty decent about that. I guess I could use some optimization on my LinkedIn. Pretty much all of them are spam anway but a few actually seem decent!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Hiram Grewgious posted:

my favorite was when oldjob was having trouble using internal recruiters for infosec, so they hired some external folks

those external folks tried to pitch my own job to me. i probably should've seen how far i could take the process

Getting a new job at your current place would be a nice way to get the job-hop money without actually hopping jobs if it worked.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Plorkyeran posted:

I get a few recruiter contacts a day on linkedin despite not having visited the linkedin website for a few years. Occasionally they're funny because of how terrible of an idea the startup is, but it's sorta amazing how identical 99% of them are. There's just a boilerplate pitch which all of them use and just stick the company name, field, and my name (usually...) into.

Recently I've seen a few people start with "my algorithm indicated that you're likely to change jobs", which somehow makes me even less likely to reply.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Yesterday I got recruiter spam where the recruiter, before listing the jobs they 'had', was attempting to sell his old car. Now I can't even joke about tech recruiters being like used car salesman.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
I just got an Amazon recruiter email pitching a job in ... Bangalore! :dogstare:

(I'm in the US)

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
scaled agile/safe: micromanaging is bad, mgmt should actually do nothing and thats good, but leadership is vitally important

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

B-Nasty posted:

Yesterday I got recruiter spam where the recruiter, before listing the jobs they 'had', was attempting to sell his old car. Now I can't even joke about tech recruiters being like used car salesman.

Wait, really

Can you post the anonymized (or full fat) version, that's incredible. What kind of car. Part of me wants it to be a 1993 Mazda Miata

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Wait, really

Can you post the anonymized (or full fat) version, that's incredible. What kind of car. Part of me wants it to be a 1993 Mazda Miata

The spelling errors below are present in the original email as well.

quote:

Hi XXX,

Your Linkedin profile is impressive and you have some excellent experience!

Before I get to the job, I am selling my 2014 Infiniti Q50 and wanted to see if you, or anyone else you know of might be interested...this is an exellent car, great conditon, less than 49K miles..white exterior and black interior with Premium Bose Audio System. If interested, please check it out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/XXXX

Now, regarding the job ....

Our client XXX is looking for a Java/Python Software Engineer to join their Business Technology Team within their XXXX division. This is an opportunity to join a fast paced team that interacts with all areas of our company's business, with specific focus on XXXX

... more (poorly targeted) jobs ...

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo lmao

i am so jealous. recruiters don't try to sell me anything other than jobs :(

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
:piss:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

leper khan posted:

I go full-on poker face and try keep my expression as neutral as I can. The only time I'll noticeably give myself away is if the candidate goes off in the complete wrong direction on a question and I tersely try to get them back on course with an interruption along the lines of "you might want to consider [other context]". Sometimes this works and they're like "Ohhh ok gotcha... [much better answer]" - I want to hear their answer to the question so I'm happy to rephrase/clarify so it doesn't become an exercise in riddle-solving - but other times I'll interject multiple times with increasingly blatant and terse hints about the answer I'm looking for and they still won't get it.

I'm the sole arbiter for this stage of the interview (which is early in the process) so even if someone is borderline, I'll need to make the decision. These people will be working alongside/under me so if I don't like their performance on my screen or otherwise see any behavioral red flags/bad vibes, they get axed before we can waste more of each other's time.

quote:

Ouch. :smith: My worst candidate in this hiring adventure didn't try to abort or anything, but they were so out of their depth that I wondered if they were even aware at how bad they were bombing it. Like, constantly asking me to repeat the question to buy more time to frantically google the answers and being utterly lost on the parts that could not be googled (googling was still attempted). This was only the second interview I conducted so I made the mistake of precisely explaining the structure of the interview at the beginning, so any deviation from that would have given away that I was pulling out early and since this was early on, I wasn't jaded enough to not give a poo poo and pull out anyway, so we plodded through the whole thing. After that, I made my intro bit a lot more vague and made some escape hatch scenarios. None of the subsequent candidates were even close to this bad, but having the escape scenarios was very handy for normally bad candidates.

ultrafilter posted:

I end all my screens with something like "your recruiter will be in touch". Just keeps it easy for me.

When candidates were represented by an external recruiter, that was the line. I think I eventually just went with "thank you for your time, we will be in touch" across the board for non-recruited candidates. I did have one candidate who I was not going to advance ask me about further steps in the process and hiring timeline. Felt kinda awkward answering that when I knew they'd be sent a rejection within the next couple days.

So, one interviewing-related thing that I've been ruminating on: has anyone else here noticed demographic disparity between externally recruited candidates and organic inbound ones?

We started out just posting our job listings on our site and the usual places (LinkedIn, Indeed, etc) to see if we could luck out and not deal with an external recruiter and got a large pile of resumes. Most of them were unqualified garbage, but there were several gems (one of which we hired). Overall, very diverse group - decent gender ratio (for tech), lots of different races, backgrounds (including plenty of nontraditional ones), and nations of origin. Our hire from this batch belongs to a minority that's super underrepresented in tech, but it never felt like we were making a "diversity hire" - this person happened to be our favorite based on merit/aptitude/temperament out of a diverse group. Turns out it's really easy to make diverse hires when you're starting with a diverse pool of applicants.

Then when we had trouble filling the more senior position, we went to a recruiter that we'd had success with previously. Every single candidate they sent us was a white dude. It was a much smaller sample size, granted, but not so small to excuse not having at least a couple people who weren't white dudes.

I guess it goes to show why diversity in tech (or lack thereof) is such an insidious issue - even if you're a perfectly unbiased hiring manager, you're still subject to the whims and biases of all sorts of different players in the tech hiring pipeline if you don't have the time to personally process/vet every resume that comes your way.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

I guess it goes to show why diversity in tech (or lack thereof) is such an insidious issue - even if you're a perfectly unbiased hiring manager, you're still subject to the whims and biases of all sorts of different players in the tech hiring pipeline if you don't have the time to personally process/vet every resume that comes your way.

I spend a ton of time working with my recruiting team on this because if they just want to get positions closed quickly (usual KPI: time to fill), I'm just gonna white and Asian men to screen. If that's all I get, hard to do any better than the rest of the industry.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Queen Victorian posted:

So, one interviewing-related thing that I've been ruminating on: has anyone else here noticed demographic disparity between externally recruited candidates and organic inbound ones?

I think you've got three factors here. More senior candidates will tend to be more male and white/asian/indian, so you're working with a smaller pool there. That's both because they started in the industry at a time when diversity wasn't considered as important and because the industry is generally hostile to minorities and pushes them out before they become senior.
Recruiters understand that most bosses don't actually want to hire minorities so they won't waste their time trying unless you push really hard.
And finally minority candidates often don't have a good network and so don't know the "right" ways to apply to a job. One job a guy knocked on the office door with a paper resume (we did hire him and he was great, but that was down to the manager answering the door, having total hiring authority, and not being lovely). I would never apply to jobs though Indeed or whatever but if the rest of your network is doing secretarial office work you probably look for software jobs the same way.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mniot posted:

I think you've got three factors here. More senior candidates will tend to be more male and white/asian/indian, so you're working with a smaller pool there. That's both because they started in the industry at a time when diversity wasn't considered as important and because the industry is generally hostile to minorities and pushes them out before they become senior.
Recruiters understand that most bosses don't actually want to hire minorities so they won't waste their time trying unless you push really hard.
And finally minority candidates often don't have a good network and so don't know the "right" ways to apply to a job. One job a guy knocked on the office door with a paper resume (we did hire him and he was great, but that was down to the manager answering the door, having total hiring authority, and not being lovely). I would never apply to jobs though Indeed or whatever but if the rest of your network is doing secretarial office work you probably look for software jobs the same way.

LinkedIn easy apply is so easy though. I've had a lot of offers that started there.

For a number of them, I could have used my network. Not part of my thought pattern if I'm rage applying for new roles on a Saturday morning.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Queen Victorian posted:

We started out just posting our job listings on our site and the usual places (LinkedIn, Indeed, etc) to see if we could luck out and not deal with an external recruiter and got a large pile of resumes. Most of them were unqualified garbage, but there were several gems (one of which we hired). Overall, very diverse group - decent gender ratio (for tech), lots of different races, backgrounds (including plenty of nontraditional ones), and nations of origin. Our hire from this batch belongs to a minority that's super underrepresented in tech, but it never felt like we were making a "diversity hire" - this person happened to be our favorite based on merit/aptitude/temperament out of a diverse group. Turns out it's really easy to make diverse hires when you're starting with a diverse pool of applicants.

Then when we had trouble filling the more senior position, we went to a recruiter that we'd had success with previously. Every single candidate they sent us was a white dude. It was a much smaller sample size, granted, but not so small to excuse not having at least a couple people who weren't white dudes.

I've sorta made it a goal to hire diverse this time around. Our candidate pool for our lower-level positions have been very good, especially after we re-posted one (I think our HR screwed up the listing the first time it was posted).

Of the folks that were approached and asked to apply by our internal recruiter, the first batch was... frankly awful in both tech fit and diverse pool. 100% white dudes. And our internal recruiter is a woman, so there shouldn't be a bias there.

Lost out to Google on our favorite candidate (>_>) and it's been slim, slim pickings since.

Tempted to have them re-list the role to see if we can get more applications. Our re-posted Jr level role pulled 60+ resumes of various matches. Our almost identical Sr level role (that replaced 2 years exp with 5 years exp) has had 6 resumes sent in, none from the primary job boards like Indeed. 3 bombed the take-home (which I didn't think possible), we're hiring 1 for the Jr level role, and one was a tech-stack mismatch from our internal recruiter.

Back in the take-home for another promising candidate, so hopefully she does well and can fill that Sr role.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

And our internal recruiter is a woman, so there shouldn't be a bias there.

oh my sweet summer child

less snarkily, you can't assume that any particular human isn't biased along a particular axis. like, you're probably right that a member of group x will be less biased towards members of that group (though this depends very much on the individual and the group), but "is a minority" is not a cohesive category that generally "sticks together." you can definitely have, idk, super racist dark-skinned latinos and black ladies that _hate_ muslims and stuff. everybody's got their own poo poo

just to be super duper clear: i ain't talking "reverse racism" poo poo here. just general intersectionality poo poo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also with respect to 'woman' as a category generally, there's a poo poo ton of cultural misogyny that gets ingrained into all people - women included. somebody being a woman absolutely does not mean that they lack unconscious bias, treat resumes from women the same as resumes from men, etc. and that's in the case where they don't consciously think terrible things - there also exist women who are super into standard gender role stuff etc etc etc

dont get me wrong, i think you can say that on average women are less terribly misogynist than men...but that's a pretty dang low bar

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Achmed Jones posted:

also with respect to 'woman' as a category generally, there's a poo poo ton of cultural misogyny that gets ingrained into all people - women included. somebody being a woman absolutely does not mean that they lack unconscious bias, treat resumes from women the same as resumes from men, etc. and that's in the case where they don't consciously think terrible things - there also exist women who are super into standard gender role stuff etc etc etc

dont get me wrong, i think you can say that on average women are less terribly misogynist than men...but that's a pretty dang low bar

This is fair. I should have included shouldn't with the italics to emphasize.

I largely think she just searched "Rails" and contacted the first 10 folks that returned. They just happened to all be white men. It's not hard to do if you don't actively try not to.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Yeah that just further highlights the fact that the systems (like LinkedIn, Indeed, society at large) were largely built by white-men with all of their conscious and unconscious bias, so being "unbiased" isn't even a good starting point if you're looking for a diverse candidate pool. You have to actively seek them out and it has to start well before you have a job opening. Not only do you have to make the effort to find diverse candidates where they are looking, but also have built a reputation for being a safe space for women and POC. It's kind of a catch-22, but very few people want to be the first under represented minority on your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody know what Mozilla take-homes are like? I have one coming and I am wondering what to even expect.