Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Someone, somewhere, about to crack on the ol' Playboy laserdisc and have a good evening: what the gently caress?

Tragedy
When the feeling's gone and you can't go on
It's tragedy
When the morning cries and you don't know why
It's hard to bear
With no-one to love you, you're goin' nowhere

e: a shameful snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
For your consideration: MARS - S/T

So this seems to be a self produced record by a group of kids from Fall River, MA recorded sometime in the late 70’s. There’s really not a lot of info out there about it. I got it years ago but never listened to it until now.

This is MARS. I assume the guy dressed like he’s in Saturday Night Fever is the singer and songwriter, George Ferreira. The other guys came to play in their karate uniforms.

It starts off with a rocker, “Band From Mars”, and honestly I was shocked at how listenable it is. It’s kids playing 70s rock, but it’s way more Cheap Trick than Ted Nugent. It’s got a terrible guitar solo, but honestly, B+.

Next cut is “You’re My Love You’re My Everything” and things start going downhill. It’s obviously a ballad, but it’s like a syrupy Billy Joel ballad but less good. D

Another hard left turn. “My Oh My What Have I Done” is a country song? Very confusing. C?

“Johnny” is another mid tempo love song? It felt like a love song. I don’t remember now. Maybe it sounds like Tony Orlando and Dawn? D

“Tears” is a ballad. I’m losing interest. D

Side Two

“Do You Want To Make Love” kicks it off and yeah it sucks. More Tony Orlando vibes, but the verses are in Portuguese. So maybe they’re really dirty? The Chorus is just the title over and over. B for possibly sexy lyrics?

“Meu Portugal” has some rocking synth horns , but otherwise sounds like AM gold bullshit. But then the synth changes to pan flute! And back to brass! And next song. C-

“Love Hurts” is Love Hurts in Portuguese played by teenagers in 1977. A+

“Pezinho” I guess sounds like Portuguese music? Reminds me a little of tejano without the accordion. Kind of a shuffling two step beat. There’s another singer on this one who sounds like an old man. D …. But wait, the keyboard solo at the end is the weirdest and dumbest thing I’ve ever heard! All the way up to a B?

And it all wraps up with “Help Me Make It Through The Night”, which is also in Portuguese. You guessed it, another mid-tempo love song. D

Well, after the first song I was really excited and wondering if I stumbled onto this weird, lost power pop band that put out one album and disappeared. But no, not really.

MARS, you blew it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Went right out and nabbed a copy of Daddy’s Home after that St. Vincent set at Pitchfork. I wanna see that show again.

More importantly: I’m currently first in line at The Rio for the last night of The Residents US tour (which got cut down to just three dates). :hellyeah:

(I am probably going to sob uncontrollably)

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

MARS, you blew it.

I know the feeling, I've just listened to a ton of poo poo today and discovered no gems outside of one of my faves I snuck in between the new to me stuff. Here are some boring few sentences reviews of each.

KGLW- Butterfly 3000: Calm sedate and sort of 70s sounding, like usual I cannot remember a single song after listening to it. I want to like you so much Gizzard but you just. don't. stick. I worry that they're getting a little too into quantity over quality as well, this is album 18 in like a decade or so.

Aztec Two Step- Two's Company: Okay 70s folk rock, halfway liked it. I heard about them from one of my mother's friend's who evidently has better taste in folky stuff than my mom's other friend who I got a pile of Christian and inoffensive folk records from and wound up donating the bulk of after giving it a fair shot.

Robert Maxwell Case- I have two albums from this guy but it doesn't matter because they're both sleepy covers of country songs. This guy is somewhat local so I feel a twinge of guilt not bothering to flip to the b side on either album but sorry dude there's better country out there.

Bebop Deluxe- Live in the Air Age: The biggest disappointment band I listened to today. This one is a live 2 disc album that sounded mostly like budget early Queen to me.

Bebop Deluxe- Drastic Plastic: Also disappointing but is a little ahead of the game as it sounds more early 80s than 1978. It just was forgettable, maybe I've been spoiled by poo poo like the Spark who can make catchy beats. I'm re-listening to it on YouTube as I type this and it does still sound like an incredibly watered down slightly crap Sparks album, like the Sparks- in Outer Space if it sucked more, idk.

Who- Dunnit: This is an old bootleg album of The Who. It's wildly uneven due to its nature and was dubbed from some source that clearly could not maintain consistent speed. Purports to be of live performances but I'm not super sure of that. I don't know if I should hold onto it for the novelty of having an ancient bootleg since it's a rough listen for sure.

Wings- Back to the Egg: One of my top albums of all time. If my whole collection got nuked this would be second on the list for me to rebuy.

Wings- at the Speed of Sound: Was fine but like many McCartney albums (and particularly the more twee indie rock ones) it doesn't stick with me for whatever reason. I'm a proponent of angry McCartney = better McCartney anyways. I've mentioned before how it came with a magazine article catching up on what the Beatles are doing post break up. I don't think I posted a good quality scan of it before so here it is now.

Off to sort out my Discogs as some of these are going into the out stack, they were just too dull I'm afraid.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Next album in my sights: Warren Zevon s/t. Been listening to the first side on repeat, Mama Couldn’t Be Persuaded, Backs Turned Looking Down the Path and Poor Poor Pitiful Me are all such jams

BigFactory posted:

Bummer but sounds like a fun experience nonetheless

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

BigFactory posted:

So this seems to be a self produced record by a group of kids from Fall River, MA recorded sometime in the late 70’s. There’s really not a lot of info out there about it. I got it years ago but never listened to it until now.

This is MARS. I assume the guy dressed like he’s in Saturday Night Fever is the singer and songwriter, George Ferreira. The other guys came to play in their karate uniforms.

It starts off with a rocker, “Band From Mars”, and honestly I was shocked at how listenable it is. It’s kids playing 70s rock, but it’s way more Cheap Trick than Ted Nugent. It’s got a terrible guitar solo, but honestly, B+.

Next cut is “You’re My Love You’re My Everything” and things start going downhill. It’s obviously a ballad, but it’s like a syrupy Billy Joel ballad but less good. D

Another hard left turn. “My Oh My What Have I Done” is a country song? Very confusing. C?

“Johnny” is another mid tempo love song? It felt like a love song. I don’t remember now. Maybe it sounds like Tony Orlando and Dawn? D

Side Two

“Do You Want To Make Love” kicks it off and yeah it sucks. More Tony Orlando vibes, but the verses are in Portuguese. So maybe they’re really dirty? The Chorus is just the title over and over. B for possibly sexy lyrics?

“Meu Portugal” has some rocking synth horns , but otherwise sounds like AM gold bullshit. But then the synth changes to pan flute! And back to brass! And next song. C-

“Pezinho” I guess sounds like Portuguese music? Reminds me a little of tejano without the accordion. Kind of a shuffling two step beat. There’s another singer on this one who sounds like an old man. D …. But wait, the keyboard solo at the end is the weirdest and dumbest thing I’ve ever heard! All the way up to a B?

And it all wraps up with “Help Me Make It Through The Night”, which is also in Portuguese. You guessed it, another mid-tempo love song. D

Well, after the first song I was really excited and wondering if I stumbled onto this weird, lost power pop band that put out one album and disappeared. But no, not really.

MARS, you blew it.

Looks like you got two (three) decent songs out of it. Usually good enough for me as long as it didn't cost too much

Here is an album that I assure you has no good songs on it and is $150.

https://www.angelic2thecore.net/product-page/signed-love-returns-12-ep-picture-disc-vinyl

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Next album in my sights: Warren Zevon s/t. Been listening to the first side on repeat, Mama Couldn’t Be Persuaded, Backs Turned Looking Down the Path and Poor Poor Pitiful Me are all such jams

My favorite thing about that album are that "Frank and Jesse James" and "Desperados Under the Eaves" have the same intro - one is played on a piano, and one is played by a string section. It creates a nice bookend effect to the albums.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

Side Two

MARS, you blew it.

Nothing good has ever come from Fall River.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Nothing good has ever come from Fall River.

Don’t talk about Hank the Dwarf that way.

sporklift posted:

Looks like you got two (three) decent songs out of it. Usually good enough for me as long as it didn't cost too much

It was a dollar at a thrift store

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Fall River is a some what popular suicide destination because they have a really tall bridge which overlooks Battleship Cove where you can see war ships from WWII and ride the antique carousel!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Fall River is a some what popular suicide destination because they have a really tall bridge which overlooks Battleship Cove where you can see war ships from WWII and ride the antique carousel!

I didn't realize WW2 ships and antique carousels caused such a strong reaction.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

zenhead posted:

got 2 records recently; repetition by unwound and daydream nation by sonic youth
really glad numero got around to reissuing repetition, defo my favorite album alongside ltiy from them.

edit: forgot to mention that daydream nation came with a cool lil poster. i'll show both records soon if you lot wanna see em

The poster that comes with Daydream Nation is beautiful. I meant to take measurements so I can frame it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Been a while since I posted a Vinyl Me, Please box, but this was a hefty month (by my standards, at least):

The Badbadnotgood/MF DOOM 10" was a freebie sent out randomly to subscribers that is undoubtedly going to be flipped for ridiculous amounts once it goes up on Discogs. I was extremely lucky to get one (no I'm not flipping it, I legit love both BBNG and DOOM)

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Ah the cross section of MF Doom and VGM collectors. That’ll be a fun one to watch skyrocket in $$$.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

IG-88 posted:

Ah the cross section of MF Doom and VGM collectors. That’ll be a fun one to watch skyrocket in $$$.

I was confused by your post, and assumed you thought that BBNG was video game music until I saw the Rockstar label... what track is that?

e: nm just looked it up, dope as hell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQsSAaRUJyU

Rockstar had my favorite music moment in a video game ever, in RDR2 when the D'Angelo track kicks in 2/3 through the game. So loving good.

zenhead
Sep 21, 2020

Ballz posted:

Been a while since I posted a Vinyl Me, Please box, but this was a hefty month (by my standards, at least):

The Badbadnotgood/MF DOOM 10" was a freebie sent out randomly to subscribers that is undoubtedly going to be flipped for ridiculous amounts once it goes up on Discogs. I was extremely lucky to get one (no I'm not flipping it, I legit love both BBNG and DOOM)

that's sick. good job on the DOOM 10", that stuff jumps in price really fast. such a sad loss, at least he left a bunch of great albums behind for us to enjoy.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Act really fast, but Aphex Twin has a few copies left of the London and Manchester 12" from 2019 for sale online.

https://aphextwin.warp.net/release/141109-aphex-twin-london

https://aphextwin.warp.net/release/141108-aphex-twin-manchester

Other merch items from popup and shows

https://aphextwin.warp.net/retail-o...myq65fGLdufk%3D

edit: records say "add to cart" but then say insufficient stock so don't want to get peoples hopes up. Still some merch available.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 21, 2021

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I just need a SAWII reissue is really what the dealie is.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Received a copy of Rhyton's self titled from discogs today. My only (small) complaint with it is it came in one of those plastic sleeves with the adhesive flap. Does anyone actually prefer those? Makes sense if you plan on listening to it once in a rare while but I find them pretty inconvenient.

Also here's a download code if anyone wants to see if it's still valid.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CaptainBeefart posted:

Received a copy of Rhyton's self titled from discogs today. My only (small) complaint with it is it came in one of those plastic sleeves with the adhesive flap. Does anyone actually prefer those? Makes sense if you plan on listening to it once in a rare while but I find them pretty inconvenient

I loathe the adhesive flaps. They just attract all the dust and cat hair in my house. I've also had ones that were so sticky they tore the cover. Dunno why anyone uses them. I actually don't like poly sleeves at all and want to get rid of all mine. I always just leave them at the counter of the record store now. Speaking of that, shrinkwrap needs to go as well. KGLW have a unique solution with the paper bag but even that is kinda dumb.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 21, 2021

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

sporklift posted:

I loathe the adhesive flaps. They just attract all the dust and cat hair in my house. I've also had ones that were so sticky they tore the cover. Dunno why anyone uses them. I actually don't like poly sleeves at all and want to get rid of all mine. I always just leave them at the counter of the record store now. Speaking of that, shrinkwrap needs to go as well. KGLW have a unique solution with the paper bag but even that is kinda dumb.

I would be pretty upset if one of those damaged the cover. I'm having a hard time thinking of a practical reason of them besides protecting a collectible that is never opened.

And now I'm thinking of the 2-3 records I own that have a matchbook style fold. One of them is actually designed to mimick a matchbook but still, who wants that?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

sporklift posted:

I actually don't like poly sleeves at all and want to get rid of all mine. I always just leave them at the counter of the record store now.

Yeah, same. I understand the point is to protect the sleeves from damage (such as from sliding them in and out of the shelf)...but I actually, you know, LISTEN to my records and having to deal with an extra layer of plastic sliding around each time is irritating.

I could see keeping something really rare (something valuable, something autographed, etc) in an outer sleeve, but an entire collection? Oof.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CaptainBeefart posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of a practical reason of them besides protecting a collectible that is never opened.

That's exactly what they're for. A lot of modern day record collectors don't even own a turntable.

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, same. I understand the point is to protect the sleeves from damage (such as from sliding them in and out of the shelf)...but I actually, you know, LISTEN to my records and having to deal with an extra layer of plastic sliding around each time is irritating.

I could see keeping something really rare (something valuable, something autographed, etc) in an outer sleeve, but an entire collection? Oof.

I like using the sleeves because it adds another layer to prevent dust from getting on the record. They do prevent shelf wear though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Picture discs: the only way to listen to early '90s MIDI! It's a video game soundtrack, to boot :getin:

There's about six additional minutes of music that's exclusive to the picture disc version, too.

Also this bad boy:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 22, 2021

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am sure this has been asked here before, but being relatively new to vinyl, I've only ever bought LPs from physical stores. I just picked up a couple of Mountain Goats albums off of Band Camp. Do people generally have a pretty decent experience doing that? Or is it basically at the whim of however lovely random labels mail their stuff out? I imagine there is not one central Band Camp warehouse that distributes physical goods and instead it's up to each band or label to manage that stuff on their own right?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Absolutely loathe those adhesive fold outers. The worst.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Hekk posted:

I am sure this has been asked here before, but being relatively new to vinyl, I've only ever bought LPs from physical stores. I just picked up a couple of Mountain Goats albums off of Band Camp. Do people generally have a pretty decent experience doing that? Or is it basically at the whim of however lovely random labels mail their stuff out? I imagine there is not one central Band Camp warehouse that distributes physical goods and instead it's up to each band or label to manage that stuff on their own right?

Bandcamp is legit. It usually will come directly from the band or from the band's label.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hekk posted:

A lot of labels sell poo poo on Bandcamp in addition to their own websites so it gets shipped from them.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Barry posted:

Absolutely loathe those adhesive fold outers. The worst.

only if the glue is on the flap. if its not on the flap but the back of the outer I'm usually ok with it, but I swap them out for open sleeves eventually.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Vinyl Thread - Millions of Dead Flaps.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CaptainBeefart posted:

Received a copy of Rhyton's self titled from discogs today. My only (small) complaint with it is it came in one of those plastic sleeves with the adhesive flap. Does anyone actually prefer those? Makes sense if you plan on listening to it once in a rare while but I find them pretty inconvenient.

Also here's a download code if anyone wants to see if it's still valid.

I claimed this code, and it has been used. I appreciate the generosity :tipshat:

I also received my copy of Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio yesterday. Great record! Thanks to whoever ITT who recommended it. Since I also bought a CD for the car and have thus ripped it, I do not need the download code. Please, someone, take this code, and use it.

And remember: Sometimes, codes can be used multiple times! I have no idea if this one can be. Live dangerously!

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Nothing like spending way too much when you find out there's a picture disc of something you already own.

steckles fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 22, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

steckles posted:

Nothing like spending way too much when you find out there's a picture disc of something you already own.

'Sup, fellow city pop lover! :yeah: Excellent grabs, especially the Tatsuro Yamashita.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

steckles posted:

What's the one in the middle?

Found out the one on the right is Aquarium by Bronze, surprisingly there's also a picture disc for Aqua's 1997 album Aquarium:

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

'Sup, fellow city pop lover! :yeah: Excellent grabs, especially the Tatsuro Yamashita.
It’s the one genre my wife and I don’t see eye to eye on. Sometimes you just want a soundtrack that makes you feel like you live in an 80s anime about sailboats or something. She disagrees.

Arcella posted:

What's the one in the middle?
A compilation of Tasturo Yamashita’s pre-1980 works called Come Along. If you want to own one City Pop album, that’d be the one. Or maybe Come Along II.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

steckles posted:

It’s the one genre my wife and I don’t see eye to eye on. Sometimes you just want a soundtrack that makes you feel like you live in an 80s anime about sailboats or something. She disagrees.

At least the vinyl split will be straightforward in the upcoming divorce.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
The Come Along comps have the DJ interludes which are a lot fun. A bunch of artists ripped off the idea for their own greatest hits comps, Summer Time Romance by Toshiki Kadomatsu is a fun one too.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
well well well it looks like Orbital reissues are FINALLY coming

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/orbital-tell-sde-of-archival-reissue-plans/

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

well well well it looks like Orbital reissues are FINALLY coming

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/orbital-tell-sde-of-archival-reissue-plans/

Hell yeah. Almost brought Brown and Green album for a hundred bucks a pop recently but didn’t go through with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If anybody feels the need to buy yet another Nevermind reissue there's a 30th Anniversary 8 LP box set containing the original album, three live albums, and a 7" inch with a few non album tracks.