Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

mod sassinator posted:

It's tiring to be two years into the worst pandemic in our modern history, one that has now killed more Americans than the last greatest pandemic, and still have people claiming we've done the best we possibly could and the administration is beyond criticism.

This is in no way an accurate reflection of my statements.

Shifty Pony posted:

The OSHA rules will at least initially bypass the notice and rulemaking requirements because they are going to be issued under OSHA's emergency rulemaking authority.

But they will almost certainly be halted by that one nutso conservative judge in Texas and the appeals will drag on into the normal rulemaking time to make the emergency rule permanent so I guess that distinction doesn't matter.

Yeah, that's my thinking - plus there's of course a compliance period. Advance and immediate compliance will occur regardless, so there's still advantage to using the ETS approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mod sassinator posted:

It's tiring to be two years into the worst pandemic in our modern history, one that has now killed more Americans than the last greatest pandemic, and still have people claiming we've done the best we possibly could and the administration is beyond criticism.

China has only lost 4k people to this pandemic--how about we follow whatever they've done instead of just throw our hands up and say there's nothing we can do, this is the best possible outcome.

It's not like the antivax concern trolls are inherently anti-authoritarian. Citation: recent pro-life Texas legislation

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

mod sassinator posted:

China has only lost 4k people to this pandemic--how about we follow whatever they've done instead of just throw our hands up and say there's nothing we can do, this is the best possible outcome.

literally nobody in this thread is claiming "we've done the best we possibly could and the administration is beyond criticism"

edit: what people are explaining to you is how some of the specific actions you want are not possible within the existing legal and administrative framework of the United States. Often this line of argument ends up in "well Trump did whatever he wanted, why doesn't Biden?" which is patently false, Trump was stymied all the time by the legal and administrative systems. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of the Biden administration but "why isn't Biden doing things he cannot actually do" is navel gazing imo.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 23, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Potato Salad posted:

It's not like the antivax concern trolls are inherently anti-authoritarian. Citation: recent pro-life Texas legislation

it's ok so long as it's other people's bodies you're controlling.

I am especially not very fond of the recent trend of taking pro-choice rhetoric and applying it to vaccination.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Epic High Five posted:

Oh I'm not saying it's ineffective as a booster and that's not why we're pursuing it, just that the biggest part of vaccine uptake coincided with the Baltimore plant contaminations and the Feds buying like 500 million doses of mRNA to distribute, so actually finding a J&J to get may prove difficult.

I could be wrong though, I know we had a lot of hope for it initially as a one dose so may still be buying some, but even back in April I couldn't find anybody within a few counties of me giving the Janssen

This is just a data point, and not something necessarily typical, but New York State has mandated all state employees be vaxxed, and has set up vaccination places in big state office centers, and they're offering J&J.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

A little off topic but if the Supreme Court were to rule against both Roe v. Wade and vaccine mandates then it’s safe to say the entire court is illegitimate and should be ignored. Hell, that’s already been established by previous Dem presidents ( Andrew Jackson and FDR ).

Honestly the W and Trump admin already demonstrated that laws are meaningless against the executive branch unless there is something to force the executive branch to do anything (there isn’t other than decorum). It’s also not like impeachment means anything and we’ll never get to the point of having enough senators from one party to enact the 25th amendment.

mod sassinator posted:

In the media and from Democratic leadership, sure. In this thread? I would say not so much. The previous thread was filled with Biden apologists but this thread has been pretty critical of the Biden administration. Sure some folks give Biden more leeway than they should but I think most people in this thread would agree the Biden admin is loving up royal.

Fritz the Horse posted:

edit: what people are explaining to you is how some of the specific actions you want are not possible within the existing legal and administrative framework of the United States.

This is false. Rules require enforcement. The Biden admin can actually do as much as they want if they decide to ignore the courts. I mean this is getting into theory but it has been practically done before (again, see Andrew Jackson).

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 23, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Fritz the Horse posted:

literally nobody in this thread is claiming "we've done the best we possibly could and the administration is beyond criticism"

edit: what people are explaining to you is how some of the specific actions you want are not possible within the existing legal and administrative framework of the United States. Often this line of argument ends up in "well Trump did whatever he wanted, why doesn't Biden?" which is patently false, Trump was stymied all the time by the legal and administrative systems. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of the Biden administration but "why isn't Biden doing things he cannot actually do" is navel gazing imo.

I agree. The obsoletion of the system is clear whoever is actually in charge.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Epicurius posted:

This is just a data point, and not something necessarily typical, but New York State has mandated all state employees be vaxxed, and has set up vaccination places in big state office centers, and they're offering J&J.

well then it's around somewhere at least! Wasn't that big glass building converted into a vaccination site early on in the effort? I recall it was primarily J&J, hopefully they're prepared to make good on future booster/extended regimens elsewhere if they mandate following the same course.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vasukhani posted:

I agree. The obsoletion of the system is clear whoever is actually in charge.

Gonna go ahead and remind you that if reading things about covid are going to encourage your nihilism I think you should take a break. Some of the statements you're making go much further than is reasonable imo and for the health of the thread it would be helpful to provide some criticism outside of "the system is failing and hosed." There is currently an exceptionally low number of vaccinated deaths, low enough that "risk of death" should not factor into any reasonable vaccinated person's risk assessment.

Getting the anti-vaxxers vaccinated is something that honestly requires pushing back on 60 years plus of government teardown and about as long, if not longer, of the rich trying to claw back every last victory of the people since the New Deal forward. Add to that the establishment of Murdoch media and the evolution of the internet. The finest US admin in the world would have a tough time getting these people vaccinated. The fiction that this could be done with Uber or Lyft or eliminating barriers to access is ridiculous. That's like bailing water out of the Titanic with a bucket and I can't believe anyone is suggesting we could get there with vaccinations by simply fixing geographical and transportation concerns.

Obviously we should be doing everything we can as a society to help folks who do want to get vaccinated and can't, but it seems like a drop in the bucket regarding the unvaxxed.

e: you know what, don't take that as word of an IK, just take it as the word of a fellow human who is trying to help you with some perspective. Covid has been an awful tragedy but we, individuals, have to make the decision to do better than we did yesterday and hopefully hold our governments accountable.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 23, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Vasukhani posted:

Most people who kill themselves are men who do so out of financial reasons, so it makes sense the UBI reduces suicide

that said, mental health probably suffered immensely. So suicides will probably increase as people recover from the "Sleep all day" to the "do something about it" part of depression. There were a ton of other health impacts of the endless quasi "lockdown," including childhood obesity doubling, and 30-50k treatable cancers likely becoming terminal. The mental health system broke down completely too, so I don't think we should be using suicide as the one metric of public health damage.

Humans also like violence and destruction, so in general watching the bodies pile up also made people excited to see tomorrow.

This is honestly not true. Suicidal ideation is not just a result of finances, they play a part but I've dealt with alot of suicide attempt patients. A large part is not tied into finances but other things they can't control.

There's alot that happened last year with it, but the shock to the system and people having loved ones home played a part in why suicides went down. Then just tele access to providers played a part instead of waiting goddamn days to maybe get in.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I've been talking to folks the last couple days re: why our vaccination rate is around 30%. Of course it's just sort of an informal poll but here's what I'm hearing a lot of from people that work in the schools, courts/jail, and social programs:

-There's a lot of apathy. Unemployment rate is >80% and there are high rates of substance abuse so a lot of people on the reservation just don't care.
-We avoided a huge wave of deaths and hospitalizations through mask mandates, curfew, checkpoints, contact tracing etc. Navajo Nation got hit really hard at the beginning, we really haven't, so a lot of people don't feel motivated to get vaccinated. People that have had friends or family severely affected were strongly motivated of course.
-The tribe issued $500 for people who get vaccinated and was hoping that would incentivize vaccination. There's a timing issue though, they also distributed $2,000 per person (including children) in relief funding at the same time, so for example a household with two children just got $8,000 (a huge amount of money for around here) and the extra $500 to complete a vaccination course is not very enticing... yet. Maybe in a couple more months when they're running out of the stimulus money they'll decide to get the vaccine incentive. (edit: this is the opinion people expressed, I'm not at all saying it's a good thing that people might get vaccines out of financial desperation)

I didn't hear much about conspiracy theories or distrust of the government so that's good in some respects. Unfortunately it sounds like a lot of people aren't going to be motivated to get vaccinated until they have a friend or family member seriously affected.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 23, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

A little off topic but if the Supreme Court were to rule against both Roe v. Wade and vaccine mandates then it’s safe to say the entire court is illegitimate and should be ignored. Hell, that’s already been established by previous Dem presidents ( Andrew Jackson and FDR ).

Honestly the W and Trump admin already demonstrated that laws are meaningless against the executive branch unless there is something to force the executive branch to do anything (there isn’t other than decorum). It’s also not like impeachment means anything and we’ll never get to the point of having enough senators from one party to enact the 25th amendment.

A bunch of the Trump admin poo poo didn't even get implemented in his term because not even his personally installed chudges would let it sail through. The rest of it was pretty much rolled back after Biden's team had the opportunity to go through all the executive orders. If you're referring to Trump and Co. escaping any consequences for their actions, I will gesture toward the Two Americas. It loving sucks but I'm not sure why this idea about the executive being able to do whatever they want has taken hold, when the last 4 years actually demonstrated the exact opposite. And when 2020 rolled around Trump had lost most of the moderates who backed him in 2016 because they'd had enough, because governing like he did is actually absurdly unpopular and divisive.

Of course the gadfly-brained public at large is going to immediately turn around and vote R when congress pretty much strokes it and does gently caress all to help people because of a couple rear end in a top hat showboaters.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This is false. Rules require enforcement. The Biden admin can actually do as much as they want if they decide to ignore the courts.

This is technically true but it's not a place that anyone wants to go, right or left.

I mean, Biden is Commander in Chief, so he could theoretically order the military to kick down doors and forcibly shoot the vax into people. Except that when they're done, we don't have America, we have an Iron Bloc state.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Gynovore posted:

This is technically true but it's not a place that anyone wants to go, right or left.

I mean, Biden is Commander in Chief, so he could theoretically order the military to kick down doors and forcibly shoot the vax into people. Except that when they're done, we don't have America, we have an Iron Bloc state.

I'll take it if it means getting covid under control, our democracy has gotten us only a moribund plague state

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Since even the person who started it admits that it's off-topic, can we skip the "what if the presidential seal is a magic wand that makes the president an unstoppable absolute dictator" fantasy talk and get back to COVID-19?

The latest news is that the CDC has followed up the FDA ruling with their own similar ruling, recommending a booster shot for older folks and saying that it's a possibility for younger folks with underlying health conditions (but leaving it up to their doctor's discretion).

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-advisers-sign-pfizer-booster-shot-certain-groups-rcna2216?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

quote:

Advisers to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention voted Thursday to recommend that certain at-risk groups of people should receive a third dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for added protection against Covid-19.

All people ages 65 and up and those in long-term care facilities who were initially vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine should receive a booster dose. People ages 50 to 64 with underlying medical conditions should also get a booster dose. The additional shots would be administered at least six months after people complete their initial vaccination series.

The advisers stopped short of a full endorsement for other groups of at-risk individuals, instead recommending that they may choose to get the booster shot if they feel they need it, in consultation with their physician. Those individuals include people ages 18 to 49 with underlying health conditions. The committee voted against recommending a booster for people ages 18 to 64 who have a high risk of being exposed to the virus at work, including health care workers and teachers.

The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ recommendations partially mirrored the Food and Drug Administration’s emergency use authorization granted for the third Pfizer dose Wednesday. The committee’s votes will now go to CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky for final signoff. If Walensky endorses the committee's recommendations, shots can begin being administered immediately. The recommendations will apply only to people who have received the two-dose Pfizer vaccines.

At least 27 million people who are 65 or older will be eligible for a booster dose.

Committee members and the CDC stressed that these are interim recommendations that will be updated as more data come in.

The committee members expressed significant concern about a booster shot for younger people due to lack of evidence about safety and waning protection against severe disease.

The votes come after several weeks of confusing messaging about a vaccine booster, which was set off when the Biden administration announced in August that it was planning to begin giving an extra shot to all Americans eight months after they had been fully vaccinated, starting the week of Sept. 20.

However, an advisory group to the FDA rejected that broad recommendation last week, narrowing the group of people eligible to those 65 and older and those at high risk of severe illness. The timing of the booster shot also changed, from eight months after the second dose to six months.

The CDC noted that the recommendation of a booster dose would not change the definition of who is considered fully vaccinated. That is, people are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after getting their second dose of either the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccines or their first dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

Who gets a booster?
Thursday’s recommendation only applies to the Pfizer vaccine, and people who were initially vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine.

Evidence was strongest for a booster dose in people ages 65 and older, the CDC’s Dr. Sara Oliver said. Vaccine effectiveness against infection and severe disease has waned in this group.

The committee also supported a booster dose for people 18 and older in long-term care facilities, as well as people ages 50 to 64 with underlying medical conditions. Younger people, ages 18 to 49, with underlying conditions may choose to get a booster. Those conditions will likely be similar to the ones listed in the initial vaccine rollout, such as cancer, diabetes, pregnancy, obesity and heart conditions.

However, there is less evidence of waning immunity for people with underlying medical conditions, Oliver said.

Questions remain
Committee members struck a skeptical tone about the booster shot during public discussions Wednesday and Thursday, stressing that the biggest issue remains vaccinating the unvaccinated.

In a presentation Wednesday, Oliver summarized what’s known about the Pfizer booster shot. She noted that the safety of the extra shot, and the effect it appears to have on enhancing protection against the virus, are “reassuring,” but added that a number of questions remain.

One question that was revisited several times: What is the goal of a booster shot? Is it to prevent all infections, or is it to prevent hospitalizations and death?

Preventing all infections — which would occur if the vaccines induced what’s known as sterilizing immunity — is not feasible, said committee member Dr. Sarah Long, a professor of pediatrics at Drexel University College of Medicine in Philadelphia.

Dr. Kiepp Talbot, an associate professor of medicine at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, agreed. “One of the things that we need to begin to understand is that we will likely prevent hospitalizations and deaths, and hopefully symptomatic lower respiratory tract infections, but it is unlikely that we will prevent everything,” she said.

It’s also unclear what level of antibodies are needed to maintain protection. Although there has been much focus on waning antibody levels in people who received the Pfizer vaccine, Long noted that the “key question” is not whether the levels wane, but “what is the minimum you have to have to have protection?”

That remains unknown. Pfizer scientist Dr. Bill Gruber, who presented Wednesday, said that the company has yet to identify so-called correlates of protection — cutoff levels of surrogate measurements like antibodies or T-cells that would indicate when someone needs a booster.

“It’s going to be very challenging” to define these cutoffs, he said. “It’s clear that protection is multifactorial,” meaning that antibody levels are not the only aspect of it.

On safety, committee members noted, only a small number of people — 306 — were included in the U.S. analysis, none of whom were under 18 years old. “Based on those numbers, we would be unable to determine the risk of rare side effects such as myocarditis after a booster dose,” Oliver said, referring to a type of heart inflammation.

Additional safety data from Israel, where more than 2.8 million people have been given a third dose, was also presented Wednesday. There, only one case of myocarditis has been reported to date. But younger people there — for whom the risk is higher — have just started getting their third shot, so it may not reflect the full scope of cases.

Megan Wallace, a CDC epidemiologist, said in a presentation Thursday that the risk of myocarditis after a third shot is unknown, though the risk is likely greater for younger people, particularly men.

The benefit of a booster is expected to be greatest for adults ages 65 and up, though the third shot is estimated to also help prevent hospitalization and infection in younger people, Wallace said.

Another top concern for committee members was the FDA authorization only applies to the Pfizer vaccine, and those who were initially vaccinated with it.

That leaves out, for the moment, vast swaths of fully vaccinated people in the U.S. who received the Moderna or the Johnson & Johnson vaccines initially.

Moderna has submitted its application to the FDA for its booster dose and could receive authorization within weeks. Johnson & Johnson has provided data to the agency on booster dose effectiveness and safety, but declined to say when it would formally apply for emergency use authorization.

“That’s going to leave half of people immunized being told that they’re at risk now of waning immunity and hospitalization and unable to get a booster dose. That’s a big public health panic,” Long said.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

The latest news is that the CDC has followed up the FDA ruling with their own similar ruling, recommending a booster shot for older folks and saying that it's a possibility for younger folks with underlying health conditions (but leaving it up to their doctor's discretion).

And every day that goes by that Israel is not reporting a spike in myocarditis cases post 3rd dose is a good sign that a 3rd dose is safe on a population level.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

quote:

The committee voted against recommending a booster for people ages 18 to 64 who have a high risk of being exposed to the virus at work, including health care workers and teachers.

The FDA approved boosters for this group - it's absolutely ridiculous that the CDC would not recommend them. Given the immediacy of necessity I would personally agree with the FDA that the similarity of antibody responses between >60 (for which we have confirmed effectiveness) and <60 (for which we don't) is sufficient evidence that boosting will likely significantly increase protection v infection, which also protects contacts and family of high-risk workers.

E: Annoyed that Israel continues to sit on thousands of cases without updating their waning analysis.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Is this what science looks like? Two dueling committees coming to completely differing opinions from the same data? Because to me it looks like this is a bunch of theatrical horseshit that did nothing but waste time with these booster approvals.

Did the CDC really just approve boosters and forget to include healthcare workers? Did that really just happen? Are we really going to throw these folks who are already pushed to the very edge right off the cliff and forget to pack their parachute?

We need to stop kidding ourselves, what we just saw was not science. All of the decisions being made that are directly impacting our lives during the pandemic are just reactions from a cloistered few who are losing grasp on the reality of the situation.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

mod sassinator posted:

Is this what science looks like? Two dueling committees coming to completely differing opinions from the same data?
Yeah actually this happens a lot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
FDA committee recommendations generally hold where there's tension between the two (since they handle approvals and it's their rec process); I'd need to look at current CDC evaluation criteria and the basis for the committee to see if there are any irregularities. CDC recs aren't usually a thing in drug approvals and I don't know the vaxx process well enough to speak to it on that.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 23, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mod sassinator posted:

Is this what science looks like? Two dueling committees coming to completely differing opinions from the same data? Because to me it looks like this is a bunch of theatrical horseshit that did nothing but waste time with these booster approvals.

Did the CDC really just approve boosters and forget to include healthcare workers? Did that really just happen? Are we really going to throw these folks who are already pushed to the very edge right off the cliff and forget to pack their parachute?

We need to stop kidding ourselves, what we just saw was not science. All of the decisions being made that are directly impacting our lives during the pandemic are just reactions from a cloistered few who are losing grasp on the reality of the situation.

I'm going to guess you've never studied science at the academic level or work in a scientific field based on this post right here.

e: I'm not saying anyone should blindly trust in a government agency or whatever, just that science is often messy and marked by contentious debate over even seemingly mild details.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The CDC just makes recommendations but those recommendations usually have a lot of informal power to influence individual doctor's decisions / state's policies on vaccination distribution / etc. Had they recommended boosters for frontline workers most states would have started gearing up the infrastructure to get them boosted; without a recommendation it'll probably be much more patchwork.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 24, 2021

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Gonna go ahead and remind you that if reading things about covid are going to encourage your nihilism I think you should take a break. Some of the statements you're making go much further than is reasonable imo and for the health of the thread it would be helpful to provide some criticism outside of "the system is failing and hosed." There is currently an exceptionally low number of vaccinated deaths, low enough that "risk of death" should not factor into any reasonable vaccinated person's risk assessment.
A sincere suggestion:

These types of posts should be probatable. They are frequently directed at individuals with a pessimistic outlook. Earlier in the year I had a similar post directed at me in response to me saying I’d continue to wear a mask and socially distance after being vaccinated. I had people PM me concerned for my mental health, individuals who have no idea who I am or my personal circumstances beyond my pessimistic views on Covid. It’s also something a friend of mine—who caught OG Covid in November of last year and spread it at a party he hosted for himself—said to me in August/September 2020, mere months before being fully vaccinated.

First, I think they’re highly inappropriate and offensive. Cynical, pessimistic takes on Covid are not indicative of poor mental health, and even if they are—that’s none of anyone’s business here. I was sincerely embarrassed.

It’s also a tactic—weaponizing mental health—I’ve seen used again and again, irl and online, to normalize Covid—to dismiss people who are genuinely maddened by people’s indifference to the horrors happening daily and our unwillingness to do anything about it.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Gio posted:

Cynical, pessimistic takes on Covid are not indicative of poor mental health, and even if they are—that’s none of anyone’s business here. I was sincerely embarrassed.

You are wrong on both counts. Extreme pessimism in light of an enormous amount of conflicting information can in fact be a sign of poor mental health. We're talking about people who are absolutely convinced the USA is crumbling before our very eyes and that never leaving home ever again is the only reasonable action, and that anyone who refuses to do so is an uncaring selfish motherfucker if not an outright monster who is totally okay if they end up killing others.

Secondly, Professor Beetus is an IK, and posters' mental health has always been within the purview of IKs and mods on SA. If a regular poster replies to you and says you sound depressed that's one thing, but mods always have moderated, and should continue to moderate, posters who sound like they might be starting to spiral, particularly because their posting can have a similar effect on others.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This is exactly the opposite of correct. Cynical, pessimistic takes on Covid are being distributed into a communication medium. They effect others, and they spread- that's why it's a communication medium. They do not deserve protection from whether or not they can be reconciled with reality. Imagine saying this about similarly irrational expressions of, for example, vaccine skepticism. The forum does not have an obligation to accommodate and shape itself to the lowest common denominator of beliefs.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Tbh listening to someone doomsday constantly because they barely understand written language sucks poo poo. And doesn't do anything to help develop discussion here. Considering that people are ignored constantly that do understand what's going on, and sealioned in order to drive them off, we should be pointing out people that aren't listening or understanding something explained to them ten times. Considering that it's a circular argument at this point regarding 95 percent of what's posted and most of it is ignored if it doesn't fit that posters agenda, I can't find reason to not point out stupidity.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Being a pessimist about covid is actually the ultimate optimist. If you are right you are prepared. If you are wrong, then that is a huge relief.

Being an optimist on covid is a net harm. More often then not the optimist point of view is wrong (things will be better in 2021 with the vaccines, you no longer have to wear masks or social distance when vaccinated, vaccinated can’t spread covid, tons of people will want the vaccine when its available, the Biden admin will have less cases and deaths, etc). So being optimistic about covid would lead to more stress and disappointment.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

This is exactly the opposite of correct. Cynical, pessimistic takes on Covid are being distributed into a communication medium. They effect others, and they spread- that's why it's a communication medium. They do not deserve protection from whether or not they can be reconciled with reality. Imagine saying this about similarly irrational expressions of, for example, vaccine skepticism. The forum does not have an obligation to accommodate and shape itself to the lowest common denominator of beliefs.

How is being pessimistic about Covid “the lowest common denominator of beliefs?” How is pessimism about Covid equivalent to vaccine skepticism, something very specific and demonstrably false?

A very common belief, in this thread and in society and government more broadly, was that vaccines would bring us to normalcy by fall. It was pessimists, early-on concerned about Delta’s impact on vaccine efficacy, that warned against optimism.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

You are wrong on both counts. Extreme pessimism in light of an enormous amount of conflicting information can in fact be a sign of poor mental health. We're talking about people who are absolutely convinced the USA is crumbling before our very eyes and that never leaving home ever again is the only reasonable action, and that anyone who refuses to do so is an uncaring selfish motherfucker if not an outright monster who is totally okay if they end up killing others.
This is a stereotype and a caricature, and you do not know who the people on here are irl. It’s highly inappropriate and offensive to act as armchair psychologist to people you don’t know.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So I got my third Moderna last night and I feel like a trick hit me. Because I live in a 5 person household with unregulated visitors, I took matters into my own hands last night at the local CVS. It astounds me how harshly my body reacts to these. I think the weirdest side effect is skin sensitivity to the point where wearing clothes hurts.

At any rate, can I expect some higher level of protection as a healthy 29 year old? Long covid scares me the most.

e: also one of the members of the household tested positive this morning so funny how that works lol. Of course someone else had to tell me because neither she nor her fiancé told me.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

mod sassinator posted:

Is this what science looks like?

A hell of a lot of 'science' takes place in back rooms over cocktails.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gio posted:

A sincere suggestion:

These types of posts should be probatable. They are frequently directed at individuals with a pessimistic outlook. Earlier in the year I had a similar post directed at me in response to me saying I’d continue to wear a mask and socially distance after being vaccinated. I had people PM me concerned for my mental health, individuals who have no idea who I am or my personal circumstances beyond my pessimistic views on Covid. It’s also something a friend of mine—who caught OG Covid in November of last year and spread it at a party he hosted for himself—said to me in August/September 2020, mere months before being fully vaccinated.

First, I think they’re highly inappropriate and offensive. Cynical, pessimistic takes on Covid are not indicative of poor mental health, and even if they are—that’s none of anyone’s business here. I was sincerely embarrassed.

It’s also a tactic—weaponizing mental health—I’ve seen used again and again, irl and online, to normalize Covid—to dismiss people who are genuinely maddened by people’s indifference to the horrors happening daily and our unwillingness to do anything about it.

If you can't handle the objective fact that fully vaccinated masked up people are infinitesimally unlikely to die from it, then it's actually you who needs to stay out of the thread. And since you opened up with "weaponizing mental health" nonsense this is my one ask before shutting you down. I've explicitly said that negative and pessimistic takes about covid aren't stopped here to an extent, and that remains true. I am not going to let unfettered nihilism rule the day, however, and Vasukhani's posts started flying a little too close to the sun, and I wanted him to take a step back from the thread.

If that's so triggering for you, then go back to wherever you most prefer to crack ping and stay the hell out of this thread.

and people's extreme pessimism and unfiltered nihilism can have a very negative mental effect on others

Exactly, this is a shared space and it does not revolve around the emotional needs of Gio. Everyone here has to have some give and take in order for this space to remain helpful to as many goons as possible. If you can't offer goons any of the same respect that you're simply demanding then don't expect us to be very welcoming.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 24, 2021

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Gio posted:

This is a stereotype and a caricature, and you do not know who the people on here are irl. It’s highly inappropriate and offensive to act as armchair psychologist to people you don’t know.

One does not in fact need to be a trained expert to read a series of extremely pessimistic/nihilistic posts by someone and develop the suspicion that they may not be in a healthy space mentally. And for IKs and mods, that suspicion has always been sufficient grounds to intervene. That intervention can take the form of a public warning, a probation, or in extreme and urgent cases, scrambling to contact the person in real life. Mods and admins have established procedures for this. I'm not sure why you are acting like this is a scandalous thing. You have been here since the mid-2000s.

Despite all its faults and quarrels this is a community that cares about the well-being of its members, even if those members feel embarrassed and/or offended by being told they need to take a break from posting.

All that aside, there's another reason moderators should intervene in these scenarios: this is a communication medium, and people's extreme pessimism and unfiltered nihilism can have a very negative mental effect on others, who might be reading this thread to get accurate information about the latest developments and become informed. Posting poo poo like "the obsoletion of the system is clear whoever is actually in charge" is a negative contribution and warrants moderation.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Secondly, Professor Beetus is an IK, and posters' mental health has always been within the purview of IKs and mods on SA. If a regular poster replies to you and says you sound depressed that's one thing, but mods always have moderated, and should continue to moderate, posters who sound like they might be starting to spiral, particularly because their posting can have a similar effect on others.

To my knowledge, there is no evidence that affective social contagion online is a thing that happens in meaningful magnitude, even less so for negative affect. It seems like common sense, doesn’t it? The science isn’t as clear as you might think. Since we’re in the land of hypotheticals, I would consider the idea that giving spaces to vent and discuss the issues on one’s mind is itself a way of problem solving and alleviating some of that pain, especially around other people who you feel “get you” (this is my own experience).

I don’t think it’s valid to clamp down on it For Their Own Good without doing critical thinking on why people write what they do and whether interventions actually help them or target an issue they are even having at all. Correct me if I misremember, but wasn’t the former website owner’s former partner banned for her own good due to mental health reasons?

There are specific areas, like climate, where spreading fear-based appeals and “doomerism” have been studied to reveal a net positive toward climate-related beliefs and behaviors. You just don’t really know whether what you’re saying is true or not, even if it makes perfect sense to you.

One does not in fact need to be a trained expert to read a series of extremely pessimistic/nihilistic posts by someone and develop the suspicion that they may not be in a healthy space mentally. And for IKs and mods, that suspicion has always been sufficient grounds to intervene. That intervention can take the form of a public warning, a probation, or in extreme and urgent cases, scrambling to contact the person in real life. Mods and admins have established procedures for this. I'm not sure why you are acting like this is a scandalous thing. You have been here since the mid-2000s.

Despite all its faults and quarrels this is a community that cares about the well-being of its members, even if those members feel embarrassed and/or offended by being told they need to take a break from posting.

All that aside, there's another reason moderators should intervene in these scenarios: this is a communication medium, and people's extreme pessimism and unfiltered nihilism can have a very negative mental effect on others, who might be reading this thread to get accurate information about the latest developments and become informed. Posting poo poo like "the obsoletion of the system is clear whoever is actually in charge" is a negative contribution and warrants moderation.

I don’t think we have the facts to back up your claims regarding mental health. They may even be hurting people you care about.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Professor Beetus posted:

If you can't handle the objective fact that fully vaccinated masked up are exceedingly unlikely to get covid, and infinitesimally unlikely to die from it , then it's actually you who needs to stay out of the thread. And since you opened up with "weaponizing mental health" nonsense this is my one ask before shutting you down. I've explicitly said that negative and pessimistic takes about covid aren't stopped here to an extent, and that remains true. I am not going to let unfettered nihilism rule the day, however, and Vasukhani's posts started flying a little too close to the sun, and I wanted him to take a step back from the thread.

If that's so triggering for you, then go back to wherever you most prefer to crack ping and stay the hell out of this thread.

Vaccine immunity is both waning and impacted by delta and we cannot "open Biden" with the present 2-dose vaccines and zero NPIs. I don't think that's too doomer to say; while everything looks "okay" right now the healthcare system is disintegrating and that represents a huge step backwards for the US. The Israelis are moving to indefinite boosters at 6 month intervals, similar to flu shots, and I do not think it's too "doomer" to say that the US is failing by not doing so if our only goal is to vaccinate our way to zero infections or "living with the virus" which at this point are the same.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

poll plane variant posted:

Vaccine immunity is both waning and impacted by delta and we cannot "open Biden" with the present 2-dose vaccines and zero NPIs. I don't think that's too doomer to say; while everything looks "okay" right now the healthcare system is disintegrating and that represents a huge step backwards for the US. The Israelis are moving to indefinite boosters at 6 month intervals, similar to flu shots, and I do not think it's too "doomer" to say that the US is failing by not doing so if our only goal is to vaccinate our way to zero infections or "living with the virus" which at this point are the same.

I don't have a problem with this post, because you are actually talking about worthwhile things to consider. That is not what I warned Vasukhani about and it should have been obvious.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't think the word triggered should be used as a pejorative by someone simultaneously claiming to be taking the high ground on mental health.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

poll plane variant posted:

The healthcare system is overburdened mostly in states/locales with low vaccination rates. You can go to this page and sort the "state trends" chart by the "Per 100,000" column and you'll easily see that the states with the lowest rate of fully vaccinated are at the top.

In addition, the data published by Pfizer and Moderna both strongly show that their vaccines remain highly effective against the delta variant. If you are fully vaccinated you are still much less likely to catch covid, and if you do then it will be much more mild. Delta was a gamechanger in the sense of making "zero covid" basically impossible, but it's not a gamechanger in the sense that we all need to continue staying at home despite being vaccinated. If immunities do start to wane at the population level (and I guarantee you that this is something that is being watched closely) then I'm sure a course change will be warranted. Until then, things will continue to get better for the fully vaccinated, not worse.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Professor Beetus posted:

Getting the anti-vaxxers vaccinated is something that honestly requires pushing back on 60 years plus of government teardown and about as long, if not longer, of the rich trying to claw back every last victory of the people since the New Deal forward. Add to that the establishment of Murdoch media and the evolution of the internet. The finest US admin in the world would have a tough time getting these people vaccinated. The fiction that this could be done with Uber or Lyft or eliminating barriers to access is ridiculous. That's like bailing water out of the Titanic with a bucket and I can't believe anyone is suggesting we could get there with vaccinations by simply fixing geographical and transportation concerns.

Obviously we should be doing everything we can as a society to help folks who do want to get vaccinated and can't, but it seems like a drop in the bucket regarding the unvaxxed.

e: you know what, don't take that as word of an IK, just take it as the word of a fellow human who is trying to help you with some perspective. Covid has been an awful tragedy but we, individuals, have to make the decision to do better than we did yesterday and hopefully hold our governments accountable.

I fully agree with you. But solving those problems requires systematic change. Clearly we have an issue when the Supreme Court would find basic public health mandates a violation of the constitution -- a document written 200 years ago by people who owned people.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

This is honestly not true. Suicidal ideation is not just a result of finances, they play a part but I've dealt with alot of suicide attempt patients. A large part is not tied into finances but other things they can't control.

There's alot that happened last year with it, but the shock to the system and people having loved ones home played a part in why suicides went down. Then just tele access to providers played a part instead of waiting goddamn days to maybe get in.

I appreciate your prospective and that definitely makes more sense than just finance as the primary causal variable.

I do think in general this has obviously done immense damage to mental health (perhaps the megadeath more than the "lockdown") and that is being ignored by focusing on suicides.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Salt Fish posted:

I don't think the word triggered should be used as a pejorative by someone simultaneously claiming to be taking the high ground on mental health.

I think someone incapable of recognizing the need for a shared space to be as accommodating to as many people as possible doesn't have a place here, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vasukhani posted:

I fully agree with you. But solving those problems requires systematic change. Clearly we have an issue when the Supreme Court would find basic public health mandates a violation of the constitution -- a document written 200 years ago by people who owned people.

I agree with you right back, tbh. I don't know why people think I'm here defending Biden policies or US Govt in general, almost my entire perspective in the thread has been focused on personal risk assessment, as someone with a potential underlying medical concern. I'm largely disinterested in debating US policy re: covid because I think it should be better, but posting about it here isn't going to change that. I don't mean to sound patronizing about your mental health and I hope it doesn't come across that way. I just think the thread needs a general "pull up" sometimes when things start turning dark. The vast majority of vaxxed people are not dying of covid. Getting covid still sucks, but again, risk calculus is what I'm talking about when I say that. I absolutely want my government to do better, and those aren't mutually exclusive viewpoints.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 24, 2021