Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

Arguments, questions, comments and debate about content and art and quality are good fun, but can also be inspiring. My comments about Google street view, and subsequent posts about documenting the banal got me thinking. Google is out there documenting the banal at a scale that no human documentarian can possibly approach. Drop your little yellow dude in any small town in America, play around with zoom and angle, and you can get some pretty mundane shots of everyday life in Nowheresville. So I thought, what if I could emulate that myself? Stand in the street and take a picture of nothing in particular, with no real thought to subject except to deliberately have none. I took a bunch of bad photos that didn't quite work, but a couple that showed promise. I blurred faces, numbers on stores, licence plates in GIMP, tried to make it look as street view as I could. It was an interesting experiment and I wouldn't have thought to try it were it not for the discussion itt. I'm going to keep working on it - I haven't got anything worth sharing yet - but I think the idea has promise and hopefully I can manage to pull off something like what I'm thinking.

you should check the new streetview appreciation thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

In the meantime, here are some triangles.

DSCF2810 by King Dugga, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

eggsovereasy posted:

you should check the new streetview appreciation thread.

Thanks for letting me know about that! Bookmarked.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

Arguments, questions, comments and debate about content and art and quality are good fun, but can also be inspiring. My comments about Google street view, and subsequent posts about documenting the banal got me thinking. Google is out there documenting the banal at a scale that no human documentarian can possibly approach. Drop your little yellow dude in any small town in America, play around with zoom and angle, and you can get some pretty mundane shots of everyday life in Nowheresville. So I thought, what if I could emulate that myself? Stand in the street and take a picture of nothing in particular, with no real thought to subject except to deliberately have none. I took a bunch of bad photos that didn't quite work, but a couple that showed promise. I blurred faces, numbers on stores, licence plates in GIMP, tried to make it look as street view as I could. It was an interesting experiment and I wouldn't have thought to try it were it not for the discussion itt. I'm going to keep working on it - I haven't got anything worth sharing yet - but I think the idea has promise and hopefully I can manage to pull off something like what I'm thinking.

There are several photobooks done using Google Street View already, you can check those out too for ideas.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

alkanphel posted:

There are several photobooks done using Google Street View already, you can check those out too for ideas.

I particularity like this project: https://9-eyes.com/

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

p0stal b0b posted:

Hell yeah. Not trying to be a cheeky bugger, but did you ever consider developing these in Black & White? I feel like the form & contrast would make them excellent candidates...

I did indeed

I could've spent hours there, shame I was so pressed for time.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dread Head posted:

I particularity like this project: https://9-eyes.com/

these are dope

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

alkanphel posted:

Doug Rickard's A new American picture and Mishka Henner's No man's land are both good

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

^ These are all so cool but I love this one the most.

wheelchair by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

I took this one a few days ago and its been growing on me.

Hjalti
Feb 23, 2006
A chapel in the woods.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Interesting architecture. Where/what is it?

(Pictures are nice too)

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Got around to scanning a few more 6x17 panos from my vacation this year, there is no end to the dust I still need to clean up.

cerious fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 24, 2021

Hjalti
Feb 23, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Interesting architecture. Where/what is it?

(Pictures are nice too)

Thanks.

It is a brutalist crematorium/chapel from the 70s it's in suburban Stockholm.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

This is really dope.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Way more interesting than what 99% of visitors do at that beach: macro shot of a chunk of ice with the sunrise behind it.

The late day purple cast on the image owns.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I like all of them but these 2 in particular.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

seravid posted:

I did indeed

I could've spent hours there, shame I was so pressed for time.

Awesome.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

xzzy posted:

Way more interesting than what 99% of visitors do at that beach: macro shot of a chunk of ice with the sunrise behind it.

The late day purple cast on the image owns.

Yeah I got there and there were a couple of people taking that exact picture, but then I went further down to the end of the beach and it was pretty empty (that's an 11pm picture lol). That was my final night in Iceland so I actually have the same picture on Ektar and E100, but Velvia 100 (RIP) was pretty clearly the best to complement the scene. I think I'll put them up later in the film thread as a comparison.

Dread Head posted:

I like all of them but these 2 in particular.

Those are also the two Velvia 100 pics I took (RIP again sweet prince), thanks! Where are your pics at? I always stormy backdrops in bright light.

cerious fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 24, 2021

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

cerious posted:

Yeah I got there and there were a couple of people taking that exact picture, but then I went further down to the end of the beach and it was pretty empty (that's an 11pm picture lol). That was my final night in Iceland so I actually have the same picture on Ektar and E100, but Velvia 100 (RIP) was pretty clearly the best to complement the scene. I think I'll put them up later in the film thread as a comparison.

Those are also the two Velvia 100 pics I took (RIP again sweet prince), thanks! Where are your pics at? I always stormy backdrops in bright light.

My photos are from Vancouver Island.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

idk if i'm the only one that gets annoyed about this but i'd like to propose that we change the thread title to something along the lines of landscape thread: no goddamn thumbnails

we're all here to look at photos, making them small doesn't help us do that. i'm far less likely to give your photo a good look if you thumbnail it because you're making it more work for me. it's different in other parts of the forums like say in games i might not give two fucks about your screenshot of whatever in the middle of discussion about strategy so i'd rather you thumbed it but yo. this is the photo forum. make it so i can see that poo poo

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

From the rules thread if people don't know this trick

Posting Photos
As this is a photography subforum you don't need to timg your large images, but there's little known imgur shortcuts you can use to make them a sensible size. Putting s, m, h or l before the .jpg in an imgur url will resize the image for you. For example:

code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kck8gzRs.jpg[/img]

code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kck8gzRm.jpg[/img]

code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kck8gzRl.jpg[/img]

code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kck8gzRh.jpg[/img]

I always wrap an h sized image in a link to the full sized one of people feel like clicking through.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I still use Flickr like a caveman, but they have the handy bbcode generator. Pick one of the "large" sizes they offer, boom done.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

I still use Flickr like a caveman, but they have the handy bbcode generator. Pick one of the "large" sizes they offer, boom done.

This. I just pick whichever size is around 1024 on the large end for ease of browsing.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

I edited my post to use the huge thumbnails with clickable images. I like timg though since you can click on the corner for an even bigger blowup. Big panos are awkward to share since even a big thumbnail doesn't do it justice, the short axis ends up getting shrunk down too much. Even the 1200x3600 doesn't really do it justice, but there's not really a way to share the full res stuff.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

parts-office-1 by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

This fucken rules.

Hjalti
Feb 23, 2006
Here have some Stockholm.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Holy smokes more Stockholm please

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Very good.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Just lovely. Hopper-esque.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do people think the clipped highlights detract from or enhance that image?

I ask because that's one of those "rules" that photography blogs/videos like to harp on, never clip ANYTHING. And to me it works in this case.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

It depends, and it's not a big deal in that particular image, imo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

I ask because that's one of those "rules" that photography blogs/videos like to harp on, never clip ANYTHING. And to me it works in this case.

I'm not an expert by any means, but for me the clipped highlights kind of make that image. Personally, trust your eyeballs over the zebras. Do you gain anything by exposing the highlight less? Do you lose anything in the shadows if you do? I think the rest of that image would be too dark if you exposed for the highlights, without resorting to HDR, and you don't lose anything by having them clipped. In this case it makes the image have a natural quality, it makes you feel like you need to squint from the low sun. It brings you into the location instead of just looking at it.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
personally i think it could have been pulled a bit (hard to say) but the images being much more about the composition of generic elements and light i feel it is undesireable to coomplicate things with whatever logo is on the side of the truck

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Hjalti
Feb 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

To me the entire thing was kind of about that blinding light, as that was how it looked in reality. I am also not a technical photographer by any standard, I sort of just run and gun and hope for the best.

Here is the same thing from the other direction where the sun doesn't cause a glare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a really cool photo too, but the first angle is definitely holding my attention better.