Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In raw numbers we've already surpassed the low-end estimate for civil war dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

What is the actual scientifically agreed upon death rate of covid? I keep hearing numbers that sound encouraging, but then read that we've surpassed the 1918-1919 Spanish Flu in a comparable time frame. I'm pretty sure we are going to beat out the God damned Civil War when all is said and done, which took four years.

It's difficult to give an answer to that question because the data's fuzzy but it kills about 1% of the people who contract it and hospitalizes about 12%. About 1 in 8 suffer longer effects that people are calling "Long Covid". It's nasty.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Captain Log posted:

What is the actual scientifically agreed upon death rate of covid? I keep hearing numbers that sound encouraging, but then read that we've surpassed the 1918-1919 Spanish Flu in a comparable time frame. I'm pretty sure we are going to beat out the God damned Civil War when all is said and done, which took four years.

I tried looking this up last week and it was harder to pin down a good estimate of infection fatality rate than I expected. My impression is that it's difficult to come up with one average IFR figure because there are so many factors that impact it, and it all rests on making a good estimate of how many infections are going untested/uncounted. Since it's extremely unevenly distributed by age (IFR increases exponentially as age increases) you've got to do a lot to control for age groups in a population, and since morbidity is highly dependent on the quality of care someone receives, fatality rates vary based on quality of the health system in a given region (and whether or not it ever gets overwhelmed and has to ration care).

Conceptually, we've already disproven the initial optimistic/low-end IFR estimates of ~0.25% that I remember seeing last year. 0.2% of the population of the United States is already dead before we even managed to infect a majority of the country.

I did find one study that analyzed fatalities and estimated infection rates in Indiana and Ohio from March 2020-March 2021, and they came up with an overall IFR of 0.84% (with a 95% interval of 0.7 to 1.0%). That was before the Delta variant hit those regions, of course, so if there's any increase in mortality from Delta, the actual IFR is even higher but it'll be a while before we have good studies that estimate it.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 23, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In raw numbers we've already surpassed the low-end estimate for civil war dead.

i swore the 1918 pandemic killed like a million or so americans alone in moderate estimates? i know that killed the young and healthy way way more then covid did.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i swore the 1918 pandemic killed like a million or so americans alone in moderate estimates? i know that killed the young and healthy way way more then covid did.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

About the same with three times less population.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Also a dim understanding of epidemiology and vaccine production.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
The figure that sticks with me is the US Excess Death Index, or whatever it's called. I've found hard right relatives have a hard time explaining that one away.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

quote:

If everyone in the world was as smart as Donald Jr, we would already be colonizing the galaxy.

3 posted on 9/23/2021, 9:31:27 AM by Zathrasp

Mary Trump calls Donald Trump Jr. her 'stupidest' relative

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Blotto_Otter posted:

I tried looking this up last week and it was harder to pin down a good estimate of infection fatality rate than I expected. My impression is that it's difficult to come up with one average IFR figure because there are so many factors that impact it, and it all rests on making a good estimate of how many infections are going untested/uncounted. Since it's extremely unevenly distributed by age (IFR increases exponentially as age increases) you've got to do a lot to control for age groups in a population, and since morbidity is highly dependent on the quality of care someone receives, fatality rates vary based on quality of the health system in a given region (and whether or not it ever gets overwhelmed and has to ration care).

Conceptually, we've already disproven the initial optimistic/low-end IFR estimates of ~0.25% that I remember seeing last year. 0.2% of the population of the United States is already dead before we even managed to infect a majority of the country.

I did find one study that analyzed fatalities and estimated infection rates in Indiana and Ohio from March 2020-March 2021, and they came up with an overall IFR of 0.84% (with a 95% interval of 0.7 to 1.0%). That was before the Delta variant hit those regions, of course, so if there's any increase in mortality from Delta, the actual IFR is even higher but it'll be a while before we have good studies that estimate it.

To build on this, to get a better understanding of how a number like this is generated it helps to think about the variables that are going into it. In a toy example like pulling colored marbles out of a bag or rolling a die it’s relatively easy to gloss over confounding factors (e.g. what order the marbles were put in the bag, how hard you chuck the die, etc.), but when you’re doing this for something like a disease it’s pretty obvious that it’s much more complicated to model. There’s age, access to medical care, past healthcare and other issues, nutrition, etc. to keep in mind, plus how all those interact with each other. Surprise, complex biological systems are hard to model. But this is for just one person assuming you know the values of all the variables and how they work : generalizing this to whole populations means you have to weight various factors to create a number that has some meaningful relationship to what we feel is an “average” or representative likelihood. This involves a certain amount of work to simplify.

Toy example I’m making up : imagine two diseases X and Y. Disease X just straight up kills exactly 8% of people always basta because it’s a magic hell plague or something. Disease Y meanwhile has no real effect on most people but will also just murder you 100% of the time if you’re part of some smaller group that so happens to be exactly 8% of the population in aggregate. From a very technical perspective, X and Y have the same fatality rate on the level of the entire group we’re talking about, but if I just told you that without explaining you’d think I’m a complete rear end in a top hat.

This isn’t all doom and gloom of course. Scientists aren’t lazy jerks and are actually pretty smart cookies and we’ve gotten really good at weighing different factors to get a pretty good idea of how to represent things like this. And if you check the actual papers written by them that derive these numbers, they’re quite willing to very explicitly show all their work and walk you through the calculations : the idea of a secretive ivory tower reclusive scientist is thoroughly, astoundingly bullshit because the kind of people who spend 25+ years working 60+ hour weeks in order to become experts on slime molds or whatever are really, really into them and would love to talk you to death all about them.

So in addition to COVID being new and different, it’s also just a complicated thing being very much simplified into a single number, so of course there’s going to be a lot of variability.

PS science is cool.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

kik2dagroin posted:

This is going to end violently because the left has gone too far and gotten away with too much. They will not back down now because they cannot conceive of losing. That’s how wars begin.
like...what the gently caress? "you'll be tired of winning" was literally their god's catchphrase like...gently caress.
also i have several dozen threads to show you if you think "the left" "can't conceive of losing"

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

InsertPotPun posted:

like...what the gently caress? "you'll be tired of winning" was literally their god's catchphrase like...gently caress.

I think the idea is that they were losing to the globalists and demons for a while. Trump helped them remember what it was like to win, but they are still very #humble about conflict...or they would be if the dems didn't make them have to be violently angry.

The libs are in a zealous fervor to...distribute wealth and reduce the effects of poverty and climate change and protect voting rights...and are blinded by their underinformed self righteousness.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Fatality rate is a dart board because their are a million variables to integrate but most smart people are landing on the 1ish percent number all things considered.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Now after everything I kinda "Get" Trump worship. He's a rich and powerful dude who says things people agree with and that makes those same people feel a fraction of that wealth and power, but how does anyone get a positive impression of Don Jr? He's a hanger-on who has accomplished nothing and failed even in those rare places his dad has succeeded all while dressing like a Patrick Bateman cosplay. It boggles the mind :psyduck:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

DarklyDreaming posted:

Now after everything I kinda "Get" Trump worship. He's a rich and powerful dude who says things people agree with and that makes those same people feel a fraction of that wealth and power, but how does anyone get a positive impression of Don Jr? He's a hanger-on who has accomplished nothing and failed even in those rare places his dad has succeeded all while dressing like a Patrick Bateman cosplay. It boggles the mind :psyduck:

That's just the propaganda of the Instagram gods crushing his algorithm.
He has at least one loyal fan and this short video will demonstrate the appeal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3N-YIfVpFI

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 23, 2021

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

DarklyDreaming posted:

Does anyone actually like Jr.? I'm under the impression that his job at this point is just to act as a proxy for his dad at events that can't afford Donny Sr.

And even then he probably is the post popular Trump kid. Chuds hate Ivanka for (((reasons))), both Barron and Tiffany stay out of the spotlight, and I had to think for a solid minute before I could remember Eric Trump.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Does anyone actually like Jr.? I'm under the impression that his job at this point is just to act as a proxy for his dad at events that can't afford Donny Sr.

As far as I can tell, they like him because he posted on twitter almost as much as Trump did, and he reposts a bunch of conservative talking-point meme images. Much like Turning Point USA, this allows them to make 'See AOC get annihilated by this twitter comment' threads. (Every single amount of pushback, no matter how feeble is an annihilation)

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Junior's popularity is, at best, splash from Trump himself, and people act as hangers on for Don jr. for the same reason he's a hanger on for Trump. Which, somehow, makes those people even more pathetic than he is.

Edit: essentially, people are sycophants for Don Jr because he's a sycophant for Trump. They've bought into the narcissistic framing Trump has, where his family are just extensions of himself.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 23, 2021

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I am continually amazed at Don Jr being as dumb as he is, but usually that's down to him desperately trying to emulate his Dad in every way to get his approval. I mean most kids of narcissistic personality disorder sufferers tend to become inured against reality in general in some respects, just to survive, but still.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

lmao
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1441167930234793992
mamma mia

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

useless without knowing who'll play Luigi.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Zeroisanumber posted:

useless without knowing who'll play Luigi.

Motherfucking Charlie Day.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Neo_Crimson posted:

Motherfucking Charlie Day.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bowser is Jack Black

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Neo_Crimson posted:

And even then he probably is the post popular Trump kid. Chuds hate Ivanka for (((reasons))), both Barron and Tiffany stay out of the spotlight, and I had to think for a solid minute before I could remember Eric Trump.

Eric Trump is like the Don Jr. to Don Jr.'s Donald Trump. Just even more pathetic.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Has anyone realized that Chris Pratt is 6’2” and Charlie day is 5’7”????

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Captain Monkey posted:

Has anyone realized that Chris Pratt is 6’2” and Charlie day is 5’7”????

Can you tell from their voices?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I don't want to go to Freep, but I can't wait to read their reactions to the Cyberninja Arizona audit showing Trump lost Arizona by an even larger amount than originally thought.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...d=mmx&PC=EMMX01

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Fake news.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty much, even though they'll be presenting the results in person later today it seems like.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I’m seeing a lot of “that’s the hand count but wait until you see the forensic audit which shows how many of those votes were fraudulent!”

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
The goal posts can be forever moved.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Edit: nm

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

birds posted:

I’m seeing a lot of “that’s the hand count but wait until you see the forensic audit which shows how many of those votes were fraudulent!”

Some of that is in the draft too. But even it admits that not all the "suspicious" votes are necessarily fraudulent, and also cannot be assumed to favor one candidate over the other.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
My civil war era gut says that TRURMP WON, therefore

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's mostly this

quote:

OAN will have the best coverage.

This sounds bogus, if previous reports were accurate.

According to Christina Bobb on OAN, numerous sources said to her that when they opened sealed boxes of ballots, they found up to 20% fewer ballots in the boxes than were listed on the outside. The implication was, there would be significantly fewer ballots than votes because fake Biden votes were inserted into the record at the last minute, and they didn’t have the time to cook up fake ballots to go with them because Trump surged on election day and they weren’t ready for the degree of the surge.

Several other people who seemed in a position to know, like Wendy Rogers and Karen Fann have said this will be a blockbuster.

20 posted on 9/24/2021, 12:09:44 AM by AnonymousConservative (DO NOT send me sensitive information, I am under domestic surv coverage, and they will see it too.)

But Christina Bobb said she knew someone who opened the boxes and Biden and Kamala were in the boxes making ballots and she saw one of the ballots and the ballot looked at her

quote:

A main stream media source. I wouldn’t put any stock in this.

Wait till the real McCoy is released tomorrow.

24 posted on 9/24/2021, 12:31:12 AM by Boomer (Leftism is a mental illness wrapped in a perverse ideology resulting in insanity.)
Wait for the long form report , that's where the proof is hiding, release the long form report you cowards

Wait a minute, somebody has lied to us

quote:

After hearing Argus I wonder if the audit team was bought off. We were hearing the count was way off and now it’s not. No illegal paper.

34 posted on 9/24/2021, 6:01:34 AM by glimmerman70

We were told the audit found all this fraud but there's nothing to show for it... The Cyber Ninjas must be in on it too!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 24, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm the numerous sources

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Can you tell from their voices?

can you not?

(I’ve only now realized it isn’t live action)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Captain Monkey posted:

can you not?

(I’ve only now realized it isn’t live action)

It's done by the same studio as the loving minions movies.

It's either going to be surprisingly good or a hilarious train wreck.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I thought the lego movies were fun and they were both in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
"who?" Is a line from a movie with Chris Pratt, Jesus I thought we were all nerds here?

The audit thing is already being spun as "the deep state got them" or "we still don't have the REAL audit".
Goalposts with wheels, forever.