Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sorry but there's five, Ready Aim Tomatoes is canon.

6, they're in Fun N Games too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Silhouette posted:

6, they're in Fun N Games too

Aren't they just kinda 'there' in that as opposed to actually being part of any game/activity?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Schwarzwald posted:

A handful of really obscure remakes came out in '02. Like, there was a Rygar remake.

I still have a copy of that. It was almost a proto-God of War, since they decided to give it a pseudo-Greek setting instead of non-descript fantasy.

There was a Wii port of it as well, but no one played that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

flavor.flv posted:

Okay, show of hands, who here knew there was a Toejam and Earl 3?

i've completed it more than twice, pretty sure i bought it at launch? i think it does a good job of combining elements of 1 and 2 while also doing it's own thing.

"fun" TJ&E3 fact, if you go look up youtube videos about the dreamcast prototype, you'll probably see lots of people complaining about how bad the the xbox final is, and how they should have released "this one" instead. they are basically the same though. the level layouts are different but it's got all the same design choices and whatnot that are in the final game. also racism, probably. anti-funk indeed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Schwarzwald posted:

A handful of really obscure remakes came out in '02. Like, there was a Rygar remake.

Sega was really pushing a lot of stuff onto the Xbox after the Dreamcast failed before they went fully multiplat. This was along with JSRF and Shenmue 2. I think Sega even proposed having the Xbox be backwards compatible with Dreamcast games lol.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Waffleman_ posted:

Sega was really pushing a lot of stuff onto the Xbox after the Dreamcast failed before they went fully multiplat. This was along with JSRF and Shenmue 2. I think Sega even proposed having the Xbox be backwards compatible with Dreamcast games lol.

I mean, look at the original Xbox controller. It's just the Dreamcast controller with dual analog sticks.
And I feel like even besides the Sega games, a lot of the early Xbox 1 games have a sort of... 'feel' of the Dreamcast. Like that same sort of... for want of a better word, experimental and creative energy. Dunno how else to describe it.
But like my friends and I have often jokingly called the Xbox the Dreamcast 2.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Schwarzwald posted:

There were a couple of Spy Hunter games starting in ‘01, too. The part I learned later is that the game was supposed to be a tie-in to a movie, which was in development but never actually got made.

Kind of a “Mario & Sonic at the 2020 Olympics” situation there.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Don't forget the Maximo games which were Ghosts n Goblins spinoffs in 3D

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean, look at the original Xbox controller. It's just the Dreamcast controller with dual analog sticks.
And I feel like even besides the Sega games, a lot of the early Xbox 1 games have a sort of... 'feel' of the Dreamcast. Like that same sort of... for want of a better word, experimental and creative energy. Dunno how else to describe it.
But like my friends and I have often jokingly called the Xbox the Dreamcast 2.

God, I get you. And I think it being the least along in emulation of the three that generation has allowed it to keep that feeling since a lot of the less popular Xbox exclusives that haven't been ported or made back compatible don't get much revisitation.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I still have a copy of that. It was almost a proto-God of War, since they decided to give it a pseudo-Greek setting instead of non-descript fantasy.

There was a Wii port of it as well, but no one played that.
My favorite part is that the PS2 version is like "some Roman dude" and the Wii version changed it to "SPIKY WHITE HAIR ANIME SUPER SAIYAN"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I think you mean "anime member of KISS".

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The PS2/Wii Rygar is surprisingly pretty good.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I can't believe this was in the game three weeks from release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vXlGhY0SZU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sorry but there's five, Ready Aim Tomatoes is canon.

Ooohh shiiit. Forgot about that one. Played it literally once at a friend's house.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

Wiat did that get kiscstarted or something?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

Wiat did that get kiscstarted or something?

4th one did, it's good

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

flavor.flv posted:

Lmao same, i thought they were talking about the mega drive games

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

my buddy Superfly posted:

I can't believe this was in the game three weeks from release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vXlGhY0SZU

make that a week and a half

https://twitter.com/sebmal/status/1440998804191281157

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wait that doesn't make sense, it would have gone gold with discs pressed and sent out to retailers bu then, right?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait that doesn't make sense, it would have gone gold with discs pressed and sent out to retailers bu then, right?

The time from going gold to reaching store shelves was really fast. Two or three days was not unheard of. All of the packaging could be manufactured in advance so you'd just press the disk, drop it in the box, and seal it up.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

i worded it a little wrong in the tweet because im tired and excited (hi i'm da guy), the 9/19 build isn't from 11 days before the game was on shelves, it's 11 days before the build date of what shipped on the disc (Sep 30, 2002). the actual release date of the game is about a month later (Oct 23, 2002)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i was trying to play that to confirm but couldn't figure out how to convert the file to a format xemu would work with sorry

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

i was trying to play that to confirm but couldn't figure out how to convert the file to a format xemu would work with sorry

you don't have to convert it, just set it to look for all files in the open prompt and load the .bin instead, i used xemu for all of this

(also it's fine, what's another 45 minutes or so of my life i'll never get back)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
swear I tried that but I'll check it out later, thanks.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

TVs Ian posted:

There were a couple of Spy Hunter games starting in ‘01, too. The part I learned later is that the game was supposed to be a tie-in to a movie, which was in development but never actually got made.

Kind of a “Mario & Sonic at the 2020 Olympics” situation there.

I remember reading that the Spy Hunter movie was completely finished but never released for some reason. poo poo like that happens a lot, so I don't know if it's true or not.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There was an entire Fantastic Four movie made in the 90s and completely finished, special effects and overlays and everything, and frankly it was leagues above the four we did get

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Silhouette posted:

I remember reading that the Spy Hunter movie was completely finished but never released for some reason. poo poo like that happens a lot, so I don't know if it's true or not.

flavor.flv posted:

There was an entire Fantastic Four movie made in the 90s and completely finished, special effects and overlays and everything, and frankly it was leagues above the four we did get
They do this kinda thing cause the right holders sell the options to make Movies/TV to people contingent on the basis that they'll actually use it to make them both profit. If the studios decide they want to keep the rights, but don't expect it to make them real dosh they release that kind of nonsense to be within the letter of the contract.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

Isn't this the one where the cast only found out it had never been released when they showed up to a convention and nobody had heard of them?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

flavor.flv posted:

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Isn't this the one where the cast only found out it had never been released when they showed up to a convention and nobody had heard of them?

It was produced by Roger Corman and quite frankly I was shocked to find out that he's still alive

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Gaius Marius posted:

They do this kinda thing cause the right holders sell the options to make Movies/TV to people contingent on the basis that they'll actually use it to make them both profit. If the studios decide they want to keep the rights, but don't expect it to make them real dosh they release that kind of nonsense to be within the letter of the contract.

reminds me of that time FXX, released an awful pilot for Wheels of time in the middle of night with zero advertising just to fulfill contractual obligations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Brofessor Slayton posted:

I don't know if they found out that way, but the film was definitely promoted by sending them around to comic book conventions. I was at one where the guy who played the Thing walked around in costume for a while.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It was produced by Roger Corman and quite frankly I was shocked to find out that he's still alive

Last year in the Halloween film challenge, one of the bonus challenges was watch a film by a deceased director and I said it was the "How is Roger Corman still alive?" challenge.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

they made an entire blazing saddles sitcom and never aired it, just to keep the rights to make a sequel

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The cu podcast mentioned a auction of neo Geo pocket color prototypes was.just sold; anyone got a link? My googling is failing me

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Is it this one? They ended up not winning it.

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1438959996578906118?s=20

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Thats it, thank you!

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
In the last Video Game History Hour podcast about prototypes, Kelsey mentioned bidding for an undumped game ... and being outbid by someone else who was also buying it to dump the game and they weren't able to communicate it in time.

Hope this hasn't happened again.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

This one really stings, since it had the unreleased (and unfinished?) Magician Lord game.

https://www.unseen64.net/2012/10/11/magician-lord-2-neo-geo-pocket-cancelled/

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

absolutely anything posted:

i worded it a little wrong in the tweet because im tired and excited (hi i'm da guy)

That's cool you're da guy, I really enjoyed those posts and love reading/watching cut content and solved retro mysteries and such, and you should keep doing them in this style

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/forestillusion/status/1443284433268666368/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
drat, well, got another "make original content" story to use when i see people making fanfilm and ip poo poo now. (some dude called lucas wanting to make flash gordon movies in the 70s and got pissed off not being able to get the rights and then made his own poo poo)