Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Teams also had basically no improvements from 2015-2020.
Even now it's barely any better, just a few fruity features like virtual backgrounds.
People have been complaining about lack of Markdown and screenshots looking like poo poo for close to a decade now.

Oh no not markdown lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
posting on page 100

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The 8bit page.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

very cool! this new samsung watch can do a thing apple watches have done since literally the very original one!

bull3964 posted:

So, because this is a Galaxy Watch on top of being a Wear watch, Samsung's remote connectivity works on it.

So, I can turn off Bluetooth on my phone, even drop my phone off wifi, and if my watch has wifi it remains connected and able to send and receive notifications.

So, I can go out of range of my phone and as long as my watch has wifi, I can continue using it as normal (including launching messages and sending and receiving texts.)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

very cool! this new samsung watch can do a thing apple watches have done since literally the very original one!

tbf all wear devices could do this bull just didnt know

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

:argh:

for a while the skype4biz client was still lync.exe in task manager, which is impressive even for the communicator maintenance team

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i use the mac client as a legacy comms channel at work and it is still missing half the features of the windows client from the lync days despite continued patching and additions

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

tbf all wear devices could do this bull just didnt know

i suppose in his defense, why would he know? it's not like he's ever more than three feet away from one of his dozen phones or tablets

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

i suppose in his defense, why would he know? it's not like he's ever more than three feet away from one of his dozen phones or tablets

like i understand that consumerism is cultivated for a reason but anyone that into buying garbage just to have it just creeps me out. i honestly cant deal with it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

in my head i know this isn’t real, but in my heart i know it is

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I like how skype4biz fails at sending screenshots or files like…75% of the time for no reason. also very cool that windows doesn’t have “copy file location” or “put shortcut in paste memory” as default rt click options.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Galaxy Z Flip 3 or whatever the gently caress Samsung is pushing so hard in TV ads is $1000.

$1000 for a phone that will absolutely fail within a year.

lmao

Apr 7, 2003

The galaxy z fold is 1200. lol

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

excuse me its $1800

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
meanwhile in new zealand

I've bought cars for less

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

meanwhile in new zealand

usd 1900

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bobbilljim posted:

meanwhile in new zealand

they probably worked better too

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
well one was a citroen but apart from that for sure

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh, yeah...

i mean, i bought a renault for $150, so i have some idea

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

oh, yeah...

i mean, i bought a renault for $150, so i have some idea

:popeye:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Galaxy Z Flip 3 or whatever the gently caress Samsung is pushing so hard in TV ads is $1000.

$1000 for a phone that will absolutely fail within a year.

lmao

I needed a test device for work so I expensed one

It was so bad, it was intolerable even if purchased with someone else’s money, and I returned it

The crease in the middle of the screen is annoying and the battery is dogshit, and that’s before you get to what Samsung did to the software

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-cloud-zeroes-in-on-gaming-taps-stadia-exec-jack-buser-to-lead-the-way/

stadia loses yet another exec

stadia's director of games is now google cloud's director of gaming solutions

maybe stadia will get absorbed into google cloud and then, technically, stadia will never die until google cloud inevitably folds

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"gaming solutions" lol

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

The_Franz posted:

microsoft only survived the ballmer years due to inertia, and even now, most of their new consumer products have the same adoption and lifespan of a google chat protocol

as profoundly embarassing and lame as ms was in the ballemer years they kinda did consolidate windows server, exchange, and SQL Server into defacto standards for tedious IT poo poo. i mean financially they did great

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gentle Autist posted:

as profoundly embarassing and lame as ms was in the ballemer years they kinda did consolidate windows server, exchange, and SQL Server into defacto standards for tedious IT poo poo. i mean financially they did great
ballmers big sin was thinking that msft was a do-everything technology company and a beloved consumer brand so he wasted a zillion dollars trying to compete in every field (video games, web search, web ads, laptops, mobile devices, retail, etc). satya realized that what msft was good at was boring enterprise infrastructure so he trimmed away most of msfts non-enterprise stuff and the company has flourished under his watch

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

i mean financially they did great

under ballmer the stock fell 40% and stayed mostly flat until he left

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Does anyone know if Azure Sphere, Microsoff's answer to Android Things, is actually being used anywhere?

I get the feeling that these kinds of solutions where the devices are centrally managed and secured is not going to take off unless they're free or if there is some other law or mandate that makes their use more attractive. The market currently does not give regularly patched and secured products a leg up over the competition.

Of course, Android Things was only given a few years to prove itself. And it was given shifting design requirements throughout its lifetime, to no one's benefit. And now Google has finally pulled the plug, although it will take a year before Things gets buried.

At any rate, we may see things shift again as right to repair gets underway and people are allowed to flash their own firmware. It would be all for the better, though, since it would keep more of these things out of a landfill.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i bought a nokia x10 for 250 eur and it is very needs suiting op

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

classic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

non-technical women and/or farsighted

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bought an 8" lenovo tablet for a project and returned it after 15 minutes of use, I will go the raspberry pi route instead

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

android users going their own farsighted way

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

read that as 'I can say it's an actual improvement' and it still tracks with that fanboy mentality

'it's designed for the farsighted' i hammer out feverishly, 'please google, i don't want this big boy os!'

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 22, 2021

Apr 7, 2003

that guy's a real weirdo

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
plenty of things to complain about from android updates in the last few years ("we replaced 3 useful buttons with one gesture pill", "what if we made the volume buttons only change media volume even if there's no media, so changing the ringer volume requires opening a loving menu", etc) and yet somehow clownshoes here goes with that

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
that guy probably thinks it's good that every single version comes with an entirely new inscrutable gesture-based navigation system

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sagebrush posted:

microsoft is a better company than google, though
https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1440699501547716627
https://twitter.com/surface/status/1440700716977319946

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Microsoft has an aversion to making a normal computer, it always has to have weird gimmicky form factor

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm ALL IN for the return of winphone though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I really hope that Young Kim is the son of Kim and has a son called Younger Kim