Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The big problem with arty was always WG's poo poo matchmaker which pulled in three arty for both teams in most games. That's it. One arty per team? Perfectly fine. Two per team? OK in edge cases. Three per team? Never.

Anyone else remembers, back in old days, games with five tanks per team and rest was all artillery? That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I had a set of dailies: damage 3 vehicles in a battle, damage 5 vehicles in a battle and damage 7 vehicles in a battle. So I figured hell, I'll jump into an arty and get it done fast. Except the only arties I still have left are the FV304 (British T6) and the M44 (US T6).

The leafblower is the best arty for damage/crit/kill X missions.

Actually the leafblower is just the best arty, period. Not as good as the beta SU-26 before that got loving beaten into a paste several times over with a nerf bat, of course, but it's the next best thing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh right, I do have the leFH as well but I don't like playing it because it makes me feel dirty.

Gervasius posted:

Anyone else remembers, back in old days, games with five tanks per team and rest was all artillery? That was fun.

I've recently had a few high tier games with 7 or 8 TDs per side. Those were super fun too. Active, fun gameplay for all.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh right, I do have the leFH as well but I don't like playing it because it makes me feel dirty.

I've recently had a few high tier games with 7 or 8 TDs per side. Those were super fun too. Active, fun gameplay for all.

Yeah, I had a few of those last night. God forbid your spotting distance is lower than theirs cause it's back to the garage for you.

Also I had a few games were I had 3 plus TDs behind me, and not one of them shoot the tank I light up. And then I get exploded.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

dennyk posted:

Not as good as the beta SU-26 before that got loving beaten into a paste several times over with a nerf bat, of course, but it's the next best thing.

That one needed to be nerfed though. I got 12 kills in one game with it once lol.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Honestly I'd prefer to have a lopsided arty game than a TD game. With too many TDs it's just 100% camping and everyone too afraid to pop out from behind a bush.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 24, 2021

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Gervasius posted:

Remember when the S-51 was an orbital laser, and the SU-26 could solo the enemy team?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Never forget NDP getting laughed at during E3 for bringing a SU-26 to a t8 match against SIMP. Then proceeding to beat the snot out of simp with it.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 25, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbCMt0DkD_I

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Behold, the reason WoT never took off as an eSport.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Behold, the reason WoT never took off as an eSport.

Shout casting is really hard but I definitely could do a better job than this guy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

celewign posted:

Shout casting is really hard but I definitely could do a better job than this guy.

Watching "competitive" WoT reminds me of the classic Simpsons clip of the English language sportscasting of the soccer match in Springfield.

"He's really hugging that rock." (five minutes later) "Yup, he's still there."

"It's unquestionably the right play in this instance."

"Hmm."

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I'm not saying it was bad because it was. But apparently they were having some issues where the cast dudes couldn't hear each other. Supposedly. I have no idea how that got missed, but yeah, that is the reason for the awkwardness of the whole thing. Also, to get people to do this, wargaming was offering up gold if teams could beat simp. NDP was the first one to do it. I think there was 4 or so matches before ndp took to the field.

Edit: oh yeah. Reminder since I didn't mention it originally. SIMP proceeded to swap out their gw panther for the su-26 for the rest of their matches.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 25, 2021

Zwartzentruber
Dec 26, 2012

That is a good question, I have no idea
So any advice on playing the T8 Rhm.-B. WT? This drat tank is nothing but a curse to me.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Zwartzentruber posted:

So any advice on playing the T8 Rhm.-B. WT? This drat tank is nothing but a curse to me.

Don't get spotted. Ever.

Zwartzentruber
Dec 26, 2012

McGavin posted:

Don't get spotted. Ever.

Sounds great, but what type of play style is this tank? It's slow and inaccurate as hell. Need some better advice.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Since you're complaining about inaccuracy, it sounds like you're using the 15 cm gun. Don't. Use the 12.8 cm and camp in a bush way in the back and shoot whatever your team spots.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zwartzentruber posted:

Sounds great, but what type of play style is this tank? It's slow and inaccurate as hell. Need some better advice.

Double-down on camo and spotting. You're not there to be an assault gun since you're made of glass and paper. That being said, don't hug the side of the map, either. If you're crossing the centerline of the map, you should ideally be up 3:1 vehicle-wise.

You stay alive by seeing farther than you can personally be seen - that means go with a net, coated optics, and binoculars. No rammer. Run food and the one-use camo crew perk if you don't already have a highly-specialized camo crew. Don't run an extinguisher because if you're getting shot you're probably dead anyway. If you see a scout coming in, take one last shot and get behind cover. Run a large medkit but a small repair kit to not completely lose money every match. Or if you have the premiums to pay for it, go with a full rack of premium consumables.

Also, remember you get more depression when you turn sideways or catty-corner - this'll permit you *some* rare situations where you can/might be able to go hull-down behind some kinds of cover.

McGavin posted:

Since you're complaining about inaccuracy, it sounds like you're using the 15 cm gun. Don't. Use the 12.8 cm and camp in a bush way in the back and shoot whatever your team spots.

This too. High alpha is not this thing's friend - you need weight of fire or you're asking to be rushed. The 12.8 is also way faster to aim.

Zwartzentruber
Dec 26, 2012

McGavin posted:

Haven't unlocked the 15 cm gun yet. Still a bit off from being able to purchase it. Thanks for letting me know not to use it before I end us wasting credits. I do camp bush with it being a slow tank trying to get up hills after everyone is already in place during the match.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Double-down on camo and spotting. You're not there to be an assault gun since you're made of glass and paper. That being said, don't hug the side of the map, either. If you're crossing the centerline of the map, you should ideally be up 3:1 vehicle-wise.

You stay alive by seeing farther than you can personally be seen - that means go with a net, coated optics, and binoculars. No rammer. Run food and the one-use camo crew perk if you don't already have a highly-specialized camo crew. Don't run an extinguisher because if you're getting shot you're probably dead anyway. If you see a scout coming in, take one last shot and get behind cover. Run a large medkit but a small repair kit to not completely lose money every match. Or if you have the premiums to pay for it, go with a full rack of premium consumables.

Also, remember you get more depression when you turn sideways or catty-corner - this'll permit you *some* rare situations where you can/might be able to go hull-down behind some kinds of cover.

This too. High alpha is not this thing's friend - you need weight of fire or you're asking to be rushed. The 12.8 is also way faster to aim.

Crew still trying to learn first set of skills so once I get that done I'll be sure to go full camo on it. I do forget about using directives and have plenty to throw out at this tank. You are right about how this tank is a papaer tank. 1 shot from anything always destroys my engine

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Never be the only target. The turreted German TDs are designed from the ground up to be *opportunistic assholes*. You're a long range buzzard. Learn the best places on the map to snipe from, then learn the second-best places, then spend most of your time in the latter.

Always support the stronger flank (even if it's not the wisest course of action) as you don't have the armor or flexibility of choice to change once you commit, and you're always going to be left with your dick out against the advance against the weak flank. In city/close-quarters maps, you're an opportunist, not a vanguard. Let *other* people spot and take the shot, then take your shot, hopefully re-tracking or doing module damage with that 128mm shell. If your team over-commits to a flank, the only thing that's going to un-gently caress that stupidity is sheer weight of fire and applicable alpha damage. The Rhoomba might be a glass cannon but one luxury it DOES have is that it can pretty reliably apply damage above its tier.

The trap on the Rhoomba is going for DPS. Again, you're NOT an assault tank, your role is to punish people for their mistakes 400+ damage at a time and support offensive pushes (if/when your team does something other than take the high ground and camp) from a position of relative safety.

Learn to double-bush mask, too. Find those spots on the map where you can put two layers of foliage between you and the people who can spot you. Just be aware that the better players will know about those spots, especially if they get a directional notice of where your shot came from when it bounces or pens. You're also going to hate life until you get Sixth Sense trained.

Lastly, recognize that in pubbie games poo poo is almost always never going to go the way you want it to. You can learn to play a tank perfectly, but if it's 29 vs. 1, you're going to lose.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 25, 2021

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Finally researched my 2nd tier 10, the M48 Patton. Should I sell my M46 Patton for it? Don't particularly see myself using it much after I move my crew to the M48.

EDIT: Also which tier 10 bond tank is good to purchase?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

skaianDestiny posted:

Finally researched my 2nd tier 10, the M48 Patton. Should I sell my M46 Patton for it? Don't particularly see myself using it much after I move my crew to the M48.

If you don't need it right now, wait for it to go on sale/on track. In the meantime, build up your crew for it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Dez is pretty high on the 121B at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it1tZDmf7NA

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zwartzentruber posted:

Like others posted already, use the 12,8cm for better dispersion, DPM and penetration on the AP rounds.

For equipment you might like Rammer, Rotational Mechanism and Improved Aiming.

Skill4ltu has a good vid and different builds that all have optics, seems like it'd be worth it once you get BIA, Situational Awareness and Recon trained up for 426m view range.
https://skill4ltu.eu/16657/rhm-borsig-waffentraeger/

Can also get 450m view range with Binoculars without having to train up those skills. Cause you'll definitely want BIA and camouflage before other stuff.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zwartzentruber posted:

Sit in a bush, aim over your arse (better gun depression plus you can just drive the gently caress out of there if you get spotted), bide your time. Then smack fools.

Remember that each battle and each hit takes you that much closer to the Waffenträger auf Panzer IV, which is tier for tier probably the best TD in the game and an utter joy to play.

On that note:

:siren: What TDs are good for ranked? :siren:

I've come to the realization that I enjoy playing TDs the most, so I might as well grind out one for the next season of ranked.

I've currently got:
- Grille unlocked but not bought
- Jagdpanzer auf E100 unlocked but not bought
- SU-101 almost complete (the Bobject tree T8)
- SU-152 completely grinded a few times over
- Somewhere around T6 on Swedish TDs
- Won't even consider Chinese TDs
- Up to T8 on the Trashbarn tree
- Up to T7 on the Badger tree
- Somewhere around T6 on the US trees.

I would imagine that the Strv 103B is probably the best option, but how about the Grille? Is it really that much worse than the Waffenträger?

McGavin posted:

Dez is pretty high on the 121B at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it1tZDmf7NA

He's not alone. Skill also rates is as a very good tank, and so does QB.

I almost bought one before the new ranked bond shop tanks were announced and now I'm trying to decide if I want to just buy one and be done with it, or try for the Concept 1B again in the next Ranked session, this time taking my qualifications more seriously and hopefully getting more bonus games.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 25, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Honestly, I wouldn't play a TD in Ranked right now, but the ones I see most often are Grille, T110E3, and Obj. 268 V4.

Your best bets are Kranvagn and Super Conqueror for heavies and the Leopard or 430U for mediums.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, that's kind of what I've heard from elsewhere as well, that TDs just aren't amazing in ranked right now. Much like lights and arty.

As for the rest, I've got a Kranvagn but it's not clicking with me for some reason. I had some amazing games in it, but also many where the gun handling just poo poo on me completely. I do have the Conqueror unlocked and would probably have enough time to get the Super Conqueror...

My only T10 mediums are the TVP 51/50 (which is amazing when things work for it, but also a bit awkward at other times because it's huge, poorly armoured and has bad gun depression), the Progetto and the E50M.

The Leopard would probably be pretty decent for me, so maybe it's time to continue up that tree as well.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, the current meta in Ranked is for everyone to YOLO one side and TDs typically aren't fast enough to keep up with the push. They tend to only get huge games when your team is losing and you don't ever want your team to be losing in Ranked.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Control Volume posted:

Remember when the S-51 was an orbital laser, and the SU-26 could solo the enemy team?

My favourite OG SU-26 kill was when I won the match by defeating an IS-7 in a CQB circle dance around a rock. I also have a Raider medal on mine, as is tradition.

Also, I remember platooning with high-tier tanks in my Bison back in the old beta with the 1-2/3-10 matchmaker and watching allchat go from "lol nub bison we win" during the countdown to "omg wtf hax" after I'd obliterated a few tanks with that thing's ridiculously huge shells.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

What tier 6 should i grind battle pass points on next?

The only non tier 6 i maxed battle pass points on is the Charioteer.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 27, 2021

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Could always bust out the classic Hellcat, since I already see the T78 in there.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Turns out tier 9s were a good addition to Frontlines, since most of them are driven by people who shouldn't be anywhere near tier 9s and therefore are just easy damage sponges.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Redeye Flight posted:

Could always bust out the classic Hellcat, since I already see the T78 in there.

Maybe the next one. Already got started on the t-34-85M

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Look at this filthy stat padder!

(I should really dig out my T6s as well, I still haven't even played my Cromwell B, Strv m42-57 or my M4/FL10)

E: I'd forgotten how awful the skill book system is. My normal French medium crew can't get skill books used on them, because they are nominally trained for the AMX 30 B which I don't have. So even if I drop them in the Bretagne Panther, I can't use skill books on them because that's not the tank they're trained for. Even though as a premium tank they can crew it without penalties.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 27, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
http://wotreplays.eu/site/6030698#pilsen-mariuslecter-t-34-85m

e;
Different match.

The first couple ricochets/not pierced are from hitting the hull side and the other one is missing the turret cheeks and ricocheting off the turret sides.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 27, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Looks like Jingles has gone off the deep end and is spouting Claus Kellerman level conspiracy theories on his recent videos about premium tanks having secretly preferential matchmaking for the first month or so, to give reviewers and players an unfairly positive view on them, and then after a month some switch is flipped and everyone gets hosed.

That would be possible, of course*, but I've bought plenty of premium tanks in my day and I sure as gently caress haven't noticed any kind of honeymoon period where you get sweetheart matchmaking for the first week or two of a new tank's release.

And of course in the comments other True Believers are also saying that it's "publicly known" that tanks have preferential matchmaking for their first 20 games (it used to be "publicly known" that this happened for the first game. Then the first three games. Then five. Now 20). Which, again, sure as gently caress isn't true because out of the first 20 games I played in my Vz 44-1 (my last stock grind) I was top tier in two games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ystdfxdlPDE

The only part I agree with here is that T8 premiums cost as much as many full video games, so paying 40 euros for a pixel tank is an insanely bad idea unless you have money to waste.

* in the sense that it is technically possible to make a matchmaker that would do this, just like it would be technically possible to have the matchmaker use a list of Wargaming's forum enemies' in game names to only give people -2 matchmaking if they've said a bad thing about Sergei, it would be a horrible idea.

It would also probably open them up to real actual litigation in the EU for deceptive business practises.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 27, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

After you buy a new tank you get 3 games where the matchmaker sort of tries a bit harder to put you top tier, but that's it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Back playing for a bit after a long absence and yikes. I really wish gold ammo still cost gold.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fun gamemode you've got there guys

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Pretty sure I already know the answer, but am I right in saying there is no way to get 60 keys for the reward tank without paying for the keys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Raged posted:

Pretty sure I already know the answer, but am I right in saying there is no way to get 60 keys for the reward tank without paying for the keys?