Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Could have been worse. Could have been black licorice, salty, Dutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Phylodox posted:

"
It tastes like poison" That line had my non Trekkie friend on the floor with laughter

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Really happy to see Boimler being competent and showing some character progression.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Hey if salmiakki is a war crime, then they really do not like the fermented fish stuff either.

...So Nordic people are the Maquis then?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I thought for a horrifying second that there was fermented fish licorice

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

I thought for a horrifying second that there was fermented fish licorice

Hey, don't give Tal Shiar any ideas.

"We give you unlimited salted black licorice and play heavy metal BUAHHAHAHAHAA"

That is the relaxation room for most of the Finns and Norwegians, maybe some Swedes and Germanese also.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 23, 2021

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
A planet with actual dragons colonized by Renn Faire geeks, I love this show.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Really happy to see Boimler being competent and showing some character progression.

that was pretty cool, he's learning and more competent but still himself.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MillennialVulcan posted:

The Okudagram showing the layout of Billups' mom's ship had a room with a little dragon in it, too!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That was really fun! Hearing Jeffrey Combs again was a real delight. :allears:

I couldn’t help but notice the long look down Rutherford did when confronted with naked Billups. :dance:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

MillennialVulcan posted:

If they dialed the extent of the Renfaire and the transparency of the evil AI down by by about 30% and 50% respectively, no one would have batted an eye at this as a live action Trek episode.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That was so good, and the B plot with Billups had this incredibly Futurama vibe to it, I loved this episode all around :lmao:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I like that they're doing the Trek Thing of giving each character a bit of a flesh-out episode, like this feels like a LaForge episode. Or a Barclay episode, but Billup's too well-adjusted for that.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Lower Decks is just so good. I knew who voiced the computer the second I heard it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Well that was a fun episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Episode was actually kinda relatively light on jokes. It was just a very enjoyable 22 minutes of Star Trek.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

"You been Boim'ed."

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Ooooh another bit of growth shown in this episode, Dr. T'Ana never would have given a drat about what Tendy was doing through in season 1, but now she not only knows Tendy, she knows well enough that Tendy would want to know if Rutherford were hurt.

I like this crew.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I do think it's true that a good show writes for what it thinks it is in season one, and writes for what it found out it can do, and sometimes even more importantly what its cast can do and what they are good at, in season two.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I agree. This show has really found itself and is putting out really true Star Trek stories.

Evil AI jail is such a hilarious concept.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Humans: Samanthan, Bradward, Andarithio.

Kzinti: Taylor. Andorian: Jennifer.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MillennialVulcan posted:

I really liked that, it reminded me of the Culture. Weird little subcultures going off on their own to try and build their own societies feels like something that would happen fairly regularly in a post-scarcity society.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"Looks like the uh.. Elf Matrix.."
"Don't do that"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Barry Foster posted:

I really liked that, it reminded me of the Culture. Weird little subcultures going off on their own to try and build their own societies feels like something that would happen fairly regularly in a post-scarcity society.

It's true, yeah. It was a bit over the top exaggerated for humor but the idea of an intentional ren faire world is one of the better explorations of what post scarcity really means

Next week: Furry Planet

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Was the Medieval planet a TAS thing or did they make that up for this show?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't think "Ren Faire planet" is really much of a stretch considering stuff like "Ye Olde Scottish Village planet" and the like. I do appreciate that they use modern technology, they just call it goofy Ren Faire-type stuff

I agree with HD Dad - they scaled back the jokes and references in this one and let the writing breathe a little more and it's one of the best episodes yet. Kind of reminds me of The Orville in that way, though I think S1 of LDS beats out S1 of Orville taken as a whole.

I also really like that they took a well-used archetype (mostly Lwaxana TNG episodes but I think there's a few more 'parent of bridge crew' episodes?) and did a fun and pretty original take on it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mentioned a while ago that the LD people said on Twitter that the first MSD of the ship was a temp and they were having Michael Okuda do up a bunch of proper schematics and diagrams and stats and things that they might eventually release well they confirmed on Twitter that the new detailed MSD in this episode is from his work

ZOOM IN YOU FUCKERS LET ME SEEEEEE

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I can't even imagine the level of proofreading and doublechecking you'd have to do before releasing a detailed schematic to internet trekkies

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The difference between Ren Faire planet and Gangster Planet or Irish Planet or Cowboy planet is that it was explicitly intentional.

Find a world with dragons -> there are enough people who want to go live D&D

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I like to imagine the dragons are sentient and started the whole renfaire thing themselves to boost their tourism economy

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

MikeJF posted:

Humans: Samanthan, Bradward, Andarithio.

Kzinti: Taylor. Andorian: Jennifer.

I know a girl named Qelsey, yes it is still pronounced like Kelsey. Why their parents chose a q, I don't know.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I also really like that they took a well-used archetype (mostly Lwaxana TNG episodes but I think there's a few more 'parent of bridge crew' episodes?) and did a fun and pretty original take on it.

yeah, it was like 80% a Lwaxana episode, 20% that DS9 episode where Bashir's parents show up and ruin everything

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Aces High posted:

I know a girl named Qelsey, yes it is still pronounced like Kelsey. Why their parents chose a q, I don't know.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

I can't even imagine the level of proofreading and doublechecking you'd have to do before releasing a detailed schematic to internet trekkies

Just rope me a few of them in and get them to double-check it for you.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I laughed out loud at the “what’s the difference between a phaser rifle and a regular phaser” line, because I swear to god that was an actual discussion in one of these threads a while back.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I particularly like the one at far left:

(Also, any of these would make pretty a bitchin' case for a gaming rig.)

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Animated shows have to be heightened otherwise they come out as very boring. If you look at the original TAS it's just kind of stale and lifeless. Granted it was super low budget, but for the most part the episodes could have been TOS episodes if they were filmed live. Lower Decks is just Star Trek perfectly adapted to an animated comedy. Everything has to be heightened to give the animation the liveliness it needs to feel right. If you were to adapt it back into a normal live action show then all of the exaggerated stuff would also be left behind. It's perfect and I love it.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Powered Descent posted:

I particularly like the one at far left:

(Also, any of these would make pretty a bitchin' case for a gaming rig.)

hahaha, good catch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Episode was a banger, such a delight to hear Jeffrey Combs' voice on Star Trek again.

I really loved the stuff with the renfaire ship too, it really had the feel of a Lwuxana episode/silly early 90s tie-in novel about a planet with dragons that just feels like Star Trek to me as much as Klingons and Picard speeches and double-fisted punches do.