Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
The first look at Hansi Flick's German squad and they're a teeny bit out of sorts against the mighty Lichtensteiners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Shitaly

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
S-poo-n

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Good to see Patterson starting for Scotland.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Loved the offside lines in the Denmark match, especially how they split in two

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Woodenlung posted:

Loved the offside lines in the Denmark match, especially how they split in two

What the gently caress is the point of this? Is it supposed to correct for perspective or something?

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
I think they were just clowning around. I have no idea why both lines splits.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Peeden

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Thank you :mcrappe: for not winning

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Please fire every single person involved in managing and playing for the USMNT

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Aggro posted:

Please fire every single person involved in managing and playing for the USMNT
Was there a problem with how they won their last game?

BTW I forgot to post this the other day, please forgive me:

Pissrael

Thank you for your time.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

jeebus bob posted:

Was there a problem with how they won their last game?

BTW I forgot to post this the other day, please forgive me:

Pissrael

Thank you for your time.

I posted that at halftime when Honduras was up 1-0 and the USMNT had perhaps vaguely considered putting together an attacking threat

The second half was some Toon Squad poo poo, like I don’t know where all these good players suddenly came from. But it was cool and good

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Much like the ESL just sneaking up out of nowhere, FIFA have had arsene wenger in a room working out a cool new plan to ruin football:

quote:

After 166 member associations voted to approve a feasibility study when it was proposed by the Saudi Arabian federation earlier this year, Wenger was tasked by Fifa president Gianni Infantino with finding the best way to change it.

His ideas include:

A biennial World Cup in even years;

Confederation tournaments (including the European Championship) in odd years;

Either one (October) or two (October and March) mid-season international breaks, for a month in total, when qualifying for major tournaments will take place, rather than the current five windows;

Guaranteed rest periods of 25 days for players once tournaments are over.

Fifa will hold an online summit with its member associations on 30 September to discuss the international men's and women's calendars.

The current match calendar for the women's game runs to the end of 2023, while the men's expires in 2024.

I'm imagining two mid-season month long international breaks and my soul is leaving my body and I'm turning to dust

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

How do player wages get handled on international duty? Do they still collect cheques from their clubs? Is FIFA basically trying to get 2 months of free labour from all the players?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

the sex ghost posted:

Much like the ESL just sneaking up out of nowhere, FIFA have had arsene wenger in a room working out a cool new plan to ruin football:

I'm imagining two mid-season month long international breaks and my soul is leaving my body and I'm turning to dust

Are you imagining it because you misread and didn't see that it's one or two breaks with a total duration of a month not two month long breaks?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Looks like all of those are dependant on the biennial World Cup, which I think is very unlikely. As I've seen suggested elsewhere, I reckon it's a stalking horse for the expanded Club World Cup.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mickolution posted:

Looks like all of those are dependant on the biennial World Cup, which I think is very unlikely. As I've seen suggested elsewhere, I reckon it's a stalking horse for the expanded Club World Cup.

They tried this first except nobody wanted to give them the amount of money needed for it. The expanded world cup is extremely popular with a ton of countries that never qualify FAs as tbe money they get from the world cup is basically all the get so it's all extremely corrupt.in that classic FIFA way.

Lol though at this

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1441306358725316614?s=19

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

Are you imagining it because you misread and didn't see that it's one or two breaks with a total duration of a month not two month long breaks?

I'm imagining one month long international break or two two week international breaks and it's not much more fun to imagine

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

the sex ghost posted:

I'm imagining one month long international break or two two week international breaks and it's not much more fun to imagine

Ideally there'd be no mid season internationals, but 5 interruptions is more annoying than 2, even if those two are a bit longer. I really can't see FIFA successfully pushing world cups every two years when the confederations want to fit in their own international tournaments as well. Besides who is going to host all the extra world cups? They can barely get plausible bidders for them on a 4 year schedule, especially with how many teams they want to cram in.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Tsaedje posted:

Ideally there'd be no mid season internationals, but 5 interruptions is more annoying than 2, even if those two are a bit longer. I really can't see FIFA successfully pushing world cups every two years when the confederations want to fit in their own international tournaments as well. Besides who is going to host all the extra world cups? They can barely get plausible bidders for them on a 4 year schedule, especially with how many teams they want to cram in.

That's a good point on the hosts. I guess there are enough countries that countries that could host it with existing infrastructure and we would see a lot more joint hosts. We've already got 3 hosts for 2026 and I think that might become the norm.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Tsaedje posted:

they'll just use qatar for half of them, ezpz

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
So a major tournament every year? How do you even handle qualifying for the next one at that point? Two weeks in October where you're gonna play 6/7 games and again in March in between your domestic/cup/continental ties? That's crazy

If this goes through I wonder how many players will "retire" from national duty or like... only play for the NT if there's guaranteed competition every year

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Omnikin posted:

So a major tournament every year? How do you even handle qualifying for the next one at that point? Two weeks in October where you're gonna play 6/7 games and again in March in between your domestic/cup/continental ties? That's crazy

This is the actual point because the more qualifiers that are played the more money the nations that never qualify for the World Cup finals are going to get from FIFA. That’s who’s pushing this, isn’t it?

I obviously FIFA themselves are as well because it’s more money from sponsors, but I think this massive fixture congestion is actually what they want.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Karl Sharks posted:

they'll just use qatar for half of them, ezpz

Got to put one in Equatorial Guinea

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Rlmao Lukaku what a goal

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lloris more like porous, but Big Rom hit a banger!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

rear end cobra posted:

Rlmao Lukaku what a goal

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Legit pen. Great game.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Good match this

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Phwoar what a save by Courtois

e: actually wasn’t that good on the replay, good game though

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Sheesh I fell asleep at 2-0 right before halftime, good on France for bringing it back

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Big Rom!!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Wow.

edit: wow, ffs.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Booooo

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Big Rom!!!

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Lukaku not a step ahead? Yeah. Sheesh. Mbappe puts one past the post with Courtois staring on one end, Lukaku barely offside on a goal thirty seconds later. Fun ending this

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

I guess I’m behind

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Ooooof nicely done

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Courtois had it covered

edit - I actually yelled at him for not one-timing that, what a strike