Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Gibbo don't let me down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
American news naming Colorado Energy, Igloo Energy Supply Limited, Neon Reef Limited, Whoop Energy Limited and Symbio Energy as not having paid their dues.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

God I hope I don't have that sort of power because the night before I dreamed about a clumsy German policeman shooting me in the bollocks by accident when he was showing me his gun wasn't loaded.

I can't believe the EU would do this to you

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Guavanaut posted:

The imperial solution is to use foot-pound for energy and pound-foot for torque, thereby preventing confusion.

A convincing argument against imperialism if I ever saw one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.flightradar24.com/GVVBO/2943d681

That registration is alarmingly close to "Gibbo" - and also it took off just after I started posting about weird air traffic and made a beeline to my house then to the house of a mate I was talking to about this, if I don't post again avenge me.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.flightradar24.com/GVVBO/2943d681

That registration is alarmingly close to "Gibbo" - and also it took off just after I started posting about weird air traffic and made a beeline to my house then to the house of a mate I was talking to about this, if I don't post again avenge me.

sounds to me like the noosphere has decided you're today's main character

perhaps you should warn someone about your dream

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
drat can't believe twisto accidentally slipped and shot himself twice in the back of the head while in the shower, rip

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s all to do with the wrong timeline, somewhere in the good timeline goddamnedtwisto is having a really interesting day.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
A convoy of white fiat unos are speeding to your home. Or they would be if there was any petrol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Honestly, the depth of London esoterica should have tipped us off that twisto was MI5 all along

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

the sex ghost posted:

drat can't believe twisto accidentally slipped and shot himself twice in the back of the bollocks while in the shower, rip

Ftfy

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

sounds to me like the noosphere has decided you're today's main character

perhaps you should warn someone about your dream

gently caress warning people, I'm trying to work out how I can profit from it. Bookies won't take bets on people dying for obvious reasons, but maybe I can buy shares in flag makers and Sky and Netflix (because nobody sane is going to be watching terrestrial television for the week or two after she kicks it)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

learnincurve posted:

American news naming Colorado Energy, Igloo Energy Supply Limited, Neon Reef Limited, Whoop Energy Limited and Symbio Energy as not having paid their dues.

gently caress, I'm with Neon Reef.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

All of the choppers seem to have buggered off, but now there's a Spitfire heading towards south London which makes my dreams of German brutality suddenly much more real

Got to be filming something then surely? Though doesn't explain why the helicopters weren't showing their registrations?

Unless they are filming some video package for when the Queen dies?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's actually *two* surveillance aircraft, the intersection is over Chingford - I can only assume they're calibrating their instruments by measuring the exact shininess of Iain Duncan Smith's head.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I had a dream the last Saturday where a person bathed in golden light appeared and warned me my alarm was still on and would ruin my lie in. The dream was true so I woke up, turned my alarm off, and went back to sleep.

What I am saying is that my dreams are blessed and so far the gift of foresight hasn't told me anything about royalty dying.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You know what, and yeh it’s chuffing odd that I can remember this.

That’s the helicopter they used when filming the day after tomorrow on a Sunday in London.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Got to be filming something then surely? Though doesn't explain why the helicopters weren't showing their registrations?

Unless they are filming some video package for when the Queen dies?

There's not many choppers used for that, especially over London - the main ones (G-HDTV, which Sky News hire for aerial shots (it's the infamous SKY COPTER IN HD) and G-TVHD, often used by the Beeb - both are owned by the same company) and the black one I can't remember the reg of off the top of my head that's set up for big film cameras aren't about. In fact if the former two were up I'd be leaning more towards the London Bridge thing.

There *was* one set up for filming - https://www.flightradar24.com/PDG60/29439c85 - that was heading straight for Westminster all the way from Liverpool but which turned around and now seems to be heading back.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

You know what, and yeh it’s chuffing odd that I can remember this.

That’s the helicopter they used when filming the day after tomorrow on a Sunday in London.

Well it's just flown over Buckingham Palace...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FiftySeven posted:

That's a fair criticism but its a problem to which a solution could be worked upon while also being back in the EU in the meantime. As it stands right now, the UK is diving head first into an ever deepening crisis, and I honestly have no idea what the solution is but "toughing it out" in the meantime isn't going to help the people who are in the worst positions.

I wish I had any sort of suggestible solution, no matter how silly but I don't think that "well, we made our bed and now we have to lay in it" is in any way the best path.

I would suggest that being in the EU providing a crap solution to the problem, would also necessarily kill any effort to solve it properly.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Someone heard Keith was about to announce a policy, sounds like a false alarm though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Its the riot police getting ready to smash some heads in at tonight's vigil for Sabina Nessa.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well it's just flown over Buckingham Palace...

They just shut down the mission impossible set and are in pre-production for the sequel - the other name is live die repeat, the one with Emily Blunt in a gundam suit.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

A poster who shoot the back of he own testicles, a shameful poster

goddamnedtwisto posted:

gently caress warning people, I'm trying to work out how I can profit from it. Bookies won't take bets on people dying for obvious reasons, but maybe I can buy shares in flag makers and Sky and Netflix (because nobody sane is going to be watching terrestrial television for the week or two after she kicks it)

Just don't go to a bookies and place a bet on London Bridge falling down this evening, sounds like a good way to get disappeared by MI5. If you're not already one of them.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Facehammer posted:

poo poo, what happens when she croaks? :ohdear:

guess we might just find out soon enough lol

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Andrew's new dog went for her throat.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

A poster who shoot the back of he own testicles, a shameful poster

Just don't go to a bookies and place a bet on London Bridge falling down this evening, sounds like a good way to get disappeared by MI5. If you're not already one of them.

As I've pointed out multiple times in the past, I'd never work for MI5 - have you seen how poo poo public sector wages are?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The interesting thing about the ambulance drivers leaving to become HGV drivers is that it reflects this weird "I think this job is more important than yours" mentality. Like I remember working in head office for a lighting company before 2008, and it was 14k a year, and the staff were absolutely horrified when they found out the bin men were on 16k. Despite the fact that we were sat in a comfy office pushing numbers around various databases and they're out physically labouring in any weather.

Honestly though the problem is not the pay, it's the conditions. I've long maintained I'd be happy stacking shelves or 'flipping burgers' if the job was actually as easy as my in-laws claimed it is. Instead it's managers breathing down your neck, customers screaming at you, unattainable targets, and it doesn't even pay for the rent or bills, both of which are steadily going through the roof.

They're sitting scratching their heads at why nobody wants to pick fruit over the summer while trying to break the unions and further destroy workers rights so that it's a miserable, extractive job and you don't even get monetarily compensated for it.

Literally the only people who were willing to put up with it were people escaping warzones and starvation; and judging by the austerity deaths over the last few years, people would rather starve than do it.

There's not a labour shortage at all. There's a rights crisis.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As I've pointed out multiple times in the past, I'd never work for MI5 - have you seen how poo poo public sector wages are?

that's what they want us to think innit. actually james bond gets good money

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jaete posted:

that's what they want us to think innit. actually james bond gets good money

He gets pennies.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The fruit pickers should simply eat everything they pick. The worker is entitled to the full value of their labour after all.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The interesting thing about the ambulance drivers leaving to become HGV drivers is that it reflects this weird "I think this job is more important than yours" mentality. Like I remember working in head office for a lighting company before 2008, and it was 14k a year, and the staff were absolutely horrified when they found out the bin men were on 16k. Despite the fact that we were sat in a comfy office pushing numbers around various databases and they're out physically labouring in any weather.

Honestly though the problem is not the pay, it's the conditions. I've long maintained I'd be happy stacking shelves or 'flipping burgers' if the job was actually as easy as my in-laws claimed it is. Instead it's managers breathing down your neck, customers screaming at you, unattainable targets, and it doesn't even pay for the rent or bills, both of which are steadily going through the roof.

They're sitting scratching their heads at why nobody wants to pick fruit over the summer while trying to break the unions and further destroy workers rights so that it's a miserable, extractive job and you don't even get monetarily compensated for it.

Literally the only people who were willing to put up with it were people escaping warzones and starvation; and judging by the austerity deaths over the last few years, people would rather starve than do it.

Precisely.

Remember when Corbyn supported the striking McDonald's workers wanting £15/hour in 2019? His twitter was full of people saying "but I've worked at my job for 30 years and I don't get paid that much, and now some kid flipping burgers wants to get paid more than me it's a disgrace!!" and "More Labour Lunacy - that means the workers will be on more than their managers!" and "This makes no sense - what's to stop me quitting my [high stress job] and going to work for the same money at Maccy-D's then?" and "I didn't go to uni and work hard to get promotions to only get paid two quid more per hour than a kid at McDonalds!"

Just a complete inability to see the situation in the round, or through any other lense than some Just World everyone-is-already-being-paid-exactly-what-they're-worth bullshit.

I absolutely agree with you on being happy to do 'easy' min-wage jobs if they were actually 'min effort/stress' too. I've found that the most stressful, physically taxing, emotionally draining jobs I've had were the ones which I did for minimum wage and now I get paid a frankly ludicrous amount of money to sit on my computer at home and do piss-easy work with no-one on my back.

My partner and I were talking about this the other day when we were walking round our local area and noted how there is absolutely no shortage of 'work that needs doing' - there are BINS to empty, verges to mow, flower-beds to mow, litter to pick up, fences to mend, graffiti to clean, streetlamps to repair, trees and hedges to trim, gutters to sweep, road surfaces to repair, bus shelters to re-glaze and so on. It's just that, in the case of all that council-managed stuff there's no money and resources to do so and in general that work isn't deemed valuable enough by the Glorious Efficiency of the Free Market to pay enough for people to actually live decently while they do it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you've worked a zillion years and got nothing to show for it and other people are able to threaten their employers into paying them good money then that just sounds like you're the mug tbh.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zalakwe posted:

Someone heard Keith was about to announce a policy, sounds like a false alarm though.

They did one today and it's actually halfway decent:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/sep/23/labour-to-give-first-time-buyers-exclusive-access-to-new-properties

quote:

Labour plans to slash affordable rents and give first-time buyers exclusive rights to purchase new-build homes for six months, it will announce this weekend, as it bids to steal the Conservatives’ claim to be “the party of homeownership”.

Lucy Powell, shadow housing secretary, will say a government led by Keir Starmer will restrict to 50% the number of properties in a development that can be sold to overseas buyers, which in some city locations has created “ghost towers” as investors leave homes empty. Labour also wants to give councils powers to force landowners to sell vacant sites to build new housing at lower prices than the compulsory purchase system currently allows.

Granted, I'm not actually sure what lowering what is considered affordable rent will actually do.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

:hai:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SixFigureSandwich posted:

They did one today and it's actually halfway decent:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/sep/23/labour-to-give-first-time-buyers-exclusive-access-to-new-properties

Granted, I'm not actually sure what lowering what is considered affordable rent will actually do.

I don't think I am any more likely to be able to buy a house six months later tbh.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think I am any more likely to be able to buy a house six months later tbh.
Also as one of the latest Praxiscasts put out there, banks are now looking to get into property lettings, giving them even less incentive to give out mortgages!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

There's also stuff about improving councils powers of compulsory purchase of land for housing aswell, which is probably more important but sounds less sexy. Still not enough, but it's the closest Starmer has got to a good policy in awhile.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

BalloonFish posted:

I've found that the most stressful, physically taxing, emotionally draining jobs I've had were the ones which I did for minimum wage and now I get paid a frankly ludicrous amount of money to sit on my computer at home and do piss-easy work with no-one on my back.

Lmao me too. Meritocracy is a complete lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lmao me too. Meritocracy is a complete lie.

Absolutely. I just gently caress around most of the time and get compensated relatively well for doing so and get many Good Boy points