Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

croup coughfield posted:

there's been a lot of dumb ideas posted in this thread but far and away the dumbest imo is "mod people who post in the thread where they make hamburgers but leftishly". cspam is a political forum, and if we insist on the idea that mods are there to guide the culture of the forum they mod then the mods in cspam should be individuals with some kind of political education and understanding. plucking a series of numbskulls from the trump thread to be mod was a colossal mistake that we're still seeing the effects of. if we dump the idea (as we should) that mods are stewards of the culture instead of janitors and cops, then we still need mods with actual political education because the topic of discussion on this forum is politics and they need to actually understand what politics is and how it works. we'll never get worthless lifestylists and protestant moralizers out of the forum but we dont have to let them run the loving place.

Going back to grad school for my CSPAM mod degree.

Jesus Christ what a bad idea. You realize this is 1. A comedy forum and 2. I'm so sorry your Poli Sci degree didn't get you a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dreylad posted:

I think the new Amerikan Gothic thread would qualify, but you're right there hasn't been many goldmined posts recently. personally i think it's not because it isn't funny but because a lot of the good stuff is in giant megathreads and i think the idea about the goldmine is the whole thread is funny not just several sections of it.

If you gas all the flavius and adjacent posts the old Marxism thread is 100% goldmine material.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Ball Tazeman posted:

Going back to grad school for my CSPAM mod degree.

Jesus Christ what a bad idea. You realize this is 1. A comedy forum and 2. I'm so sorry your Poli Sci degree didn't get you a job

Lol

These folks take their shitposting very seriously. How could you possibly mod a nerd forum without a college degree?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If you gas all the flavius and adjacent posts the old Marxism thread is 100% goldmine material.

could always refresh and we could goldmine that thread, if people were willing. i don't think I can gas individual posts

that's something I've been wondering in general: how many bigger thread OPs or posters in general are cool with refreshing their threads once in a while? I know it seems effectively pointless to some, but it does sometimes seem to help bigger threads if they get in a rut. Doesn't have to be monthly or anything specific like that.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Trump thread resets every month

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

cause people actually post in it, because it is cool and good

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Jimong5 posted:

I mean poo poo, we won't air most of the looney tunes library anymore for this reason, like as an example Bugs Bunny saying "what a maroon" is racist (Maroon being a term for free blacks living in Jamacia).
There's plenty of racism in Looney Tunes, but the joke there is that he's mispronouncing "moron". It has nothing to do with this nonsense.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dreylad posted:

could always refresh and we could goldmine that thread, if people were willing. i don't think I can gas individual posts

I'm guessing they're talking about the now-defunct (gassed?) Marxism thread that flavius briefly moved to FYAD.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

croup coughfield posted:

there's been a lot of dumb ideas posted in this thread but far and away the dumbest imo is "mod people who post in the thread where they make hamburgers but leftishly". cspam is a political forum, and if we insist on the idea that mods are there to guide the culture of the forum they mod then the mods in cspam should be individuals with some kind of political education and understanding. plucking a series of numbskulls from the trump thread to be mod was a colossal mistake that we're still seeing the effects of. if we dump the idea (as we should) that mods are stewards of the culture instead of janitors and cops, then we still need mods with actual political education because the topic of discussion on this forum is politics and they need to actually understand what politics is and how it works. we'll never get worthless lifestylists and protestant moralizers out of the forum but we dont have to let them run the loving place.

go back to D&D nerd

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

docbeard posted:

I'm guessing they're talking about the now-defunct (gassed?) Marxism thread that flavius briefly moved to FYAD.

oh right, I forgot about that one.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Sherbert Hoover posted:

or maybe cspam should be split into two subforums. I can't think of another forum on SA where one half of the posting base openly despises the other half

what? we’re all friends here, except for one

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

More mod feedback I just thought of: now that you're a mod son of Thunderbeast you can continue chain probing how r u

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

More mod feedback I just thought of: now that you're a mod son of Thunderbeast you can continue chain probing how r u

For that matter, flavius just posted which means he could at least be given two weeks off (and more if it's a mod doing the deed).

I'll be honest, I don't hate the dude (and I honestly wish for his sake he'd stepped down a lot sooner because he was clearly as miserable as he was making everyone else toward the end there) but no one, including him, benefits from him coming 'round here any more.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dreylad posted:

that's something I've been wondering in general: how many bigger thread OPs or posters in general are cool with refreshing their threads once in a while? I know it seems effectively pointless to some, but it does sometimes seem to help bigger threads if they get in a rut. Doesn't have to be monthly or anything specific like that.

Big proponent of the GIP CE model of refreshing RSS, Twitter, and news threads. Always leave a link at the last post of old thread. Not every refresh needs a good op, the the first refresh should.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

docbeard posted:

For that matter, flavius just posted which means he could at least be given two weeks off (and more if it's a mod doing the deed).

I'll be honest, I don't hate the dude (and I honestly wish for his sake he'd stepped down a lot sooner because he was clearly as miserable as he was making everyone else toward the end there) but no one, including him, benefits from him coming 'round here any more.

Correct. However, the admins and Jeff have decided the former mod they refused to demod and circled the wagons for must continue to be protected from the posters who hate them and want them gone. For the community's sake, of course.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CSPAM's got a handful of largely insular communities with some overlap but not that much (Trump thread, succ zone, the hardcore Marxists, the people who are only here to talk about cum town, I think the COVID thread is largely its own thing, and I'm sure there are others) and I generally think that's fine but I also think it's something that needs to be acknowledged and understood.

The problem with drawing every mod from the Trump thread wasn't that the Trump thread is bad (it is, but that just makes it a thread in CSPAM) it's that it really only represents 1/4th at best of the CSPAM community as a whole. Fortunately that practice seems to be a thing of the past now.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

There's plenty of racism in Looney Tunes, but the joke there is that he's mispronouncing "moron". It has nothing to do with this nonsense.

I'm really hesitant to give anything made pre 1960 the benefit of the doubt, I mean think of how many other insults are racially charged that may not appear to be at first glance (mongoloid, gyped). Besides, none of us were alive and adults and aware of what dogwhistles and cultural touchstones existed at the time.

That being said I also think it doesn't really matter, because the culture is so stained that handwringing over words feels like a waste of time when you can easily make tenuous connections like this.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Move the following chat threads to CCCC:

TRUMP September: The Witch Hunt will never end!
[COVID-19] Jesus Died Because He Wasn't Vaccinated Against Legionnaires
Biosphere Collapse: Hyper-Malthusian Eco-Fascist Mutual Aid Station
[Gaming] chairman xi, my country, the Republic of Gamers, yearns for freedom
[succ] King Solomon's bold plan has just cut child poverty in half
[Glenn Greenwald] addicted to fat driving

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Zurtilik posted:

see, we have very different experiences because it seems to me like you are calling to move the most cspam threads in cspam out of cspam

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

Why are people so dead-set on moving popular threads to CCCC?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I don't even know why CCCC exists, tbh. Seems dumb. Like people apparently get REALLY mad at even seeing a certain thread cross their field of view.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

---------
see, we have very different experiences because it seems to me like you are calling to move the most cspam threads in cspam out of cspam
---------

I actually agree with you. I just wanted to take a swipe at all the threads that often seem to be at each other's throats.

I mean, each thread has their regulars but there are people that post in multiple threads pretty consistently or are weirdos like me who pick a topic to get really anxious about and mainline a particular thread for a month or two before moving on.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

docbeard posted:

CSPAM's got a handful of largely insular communities with some overlap but not that much (Trump thread, succ zone, the hardcore Marxists, the people who are only here to talk about cum town, I think the COVID thread is largely its own thing, and I'm sure there are others) and I generally think that's fine but I also think it's something that needs to be acknowledged and understood.

The problem with drawing every mod from the Trump thread wasn't that the Trump thread is bad (it is, but that just makes it a thread in CSPAM) it's that it really only represents 1/4th at best of the CSPAM community as a whole. Fortunately that practice seems to be a thing of the past now.

This continues to be brought up but like... I swear I see Trump thread posters all over the goddamn place. Where is the notion coming from that people who post in there are some insular enclave that don't engage with other threads?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

empty whippet box posted:

I said that they are different. I made no distinction of severity between the two. I agree that both shouldn't be used, and that someone posting in that way should be punished for it, regardless of which one they used.

At the same time, if the same poster, instead of calling someone either of those, said 'you are an idiot' then I don't care about that and I doubt anyone else does either even though it accomplishes the same thing. It just does it without explicitly using words which are well known to be used as slurs against disadvantaged groups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrkEc2V3mO4

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Lets compromise don't do anything to the Trump thread regulars(lmao) but can we give them like icons or something to designate them as trump thread guys if they post in other threads?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Terminal autist posted:

Lets compromise don't do anything to the Trump thread regulars(lmao) but can we give them like icons or something to designate them as trump thread guys if they post in other threads?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
sheriff stars

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

docbeard posted:

Why are people so dead-set on moving popular threads to CCCC?

I think it's because the rules are more relaxed there, each megathread decides its own rules and some posters feel this is a better environment for certain threads than their parent forums

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Hey AV guy if you're reading this make everyone who has over 10 posts in the trump thread their AV, TIA

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zurtilik posted:

The glenn thread should stay here imo. It's catnip to a certain type of poster.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The glenn thread should stay here imo. It's catnip to a certain type of poster.

yeah nazbols

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

yeah this is the sort of dumbass you should stop making mods

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I have a degree in political science with a minor in philosophy so according to that one post I should be a mod. A real meritocracy we run here.

I can design the CSPAM mod placement test.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

swimsuit posted:

free larry / reinstate homex / ritually decapitate anyone that has more than 1 gang tag

and then gas this thread. real healing moment for the forums.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Brain Candy posted:

yeah this is the sort of dumbass you should stop making mods

I'm just kidding

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

croup coughfield posted:

yep

the american political system is a warped rotten husk, molding your politics forum to people who only understand it will get you garbage

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I'm just kidding

:shobon:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Jimong5 posted:

I'm really hesitant to give anything made pre 1960 the benefit of the doubt, I mean think of how many other insults are racially charged that may not appear to be at first glance (mongoloid, gyped). Besides, none of us were alive and adults and aware of what dogwhistles and cultural touchstones existed at the time.
But "maroon" wasn't a general insult rooted in racism or whatever; it's a thing that only Bugs Bunny ever said, for the same reason that he said "imbessile" and "ignoranimus". This poo poo always ticks me off because nobody needs these bad-faith word games to find racism in cartoons where half the time a bomb goes off it gives a character blackface – it's purely about finding just one more point of moral superiority to self-congratulate over, no matter how small or spurious. It's the same horseshit as "picnic" being a euphemism for a lynch mob, and I am never going to have any patience for it, because it never loving ends.

Edit: also, "mongoloid" is extremely obviously racist at first glance

Sham bam bamina! has issued a correction as of 15:40 on Sep 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Terminal autist posted:

Lol Trump thread literally has at least 5 different gang tags you could recognize us from