Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Detective No. 27 posted:

You oughta watch I Think You Should Leave.

I'm literally quoting it at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Simpsons world is where you go bowling or to the dog track for a fun time, and the kids watch a 50s clown variety show once they grow out of the Happy Little Elves

People still bowl, although not often (and I don't like it, I'll play some pool or snooker instead)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm literally quoting it at you

:doh: I ought to rewatch it.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Phlegmish posted:

People still bowl, although not often (and I don't like it, I'll play some pool or snooker instead)

i got a buddy who's a bartender at a bowling alley, we went to see him the other day and holy hell do people still bowl (probably because bowling is fun as hell)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Bowling is great as long as everyone in your group is relatively on the same level, either really bad or pretty good. If you're like my family/friends where there's a few people who bowl 200+ every game while everyone else is thrilled to even break 100, it kinda blows.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Having a kid at 24 after dating for 6+ years in 1980 is like having a kid at 37 after dating for 10 years is today.

Well in those days the minute you turned 50 you became Hans Moleman.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fish of hemp posted:

Well in those days the minute you turned 50 you became Hans Moleman.

Actually it was 40, not 50.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Hans Moleman is 31.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm 31 and he looks better than I do

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Imagined posted:

Bowling is great as long as everyone in your group is relatively on the same level, either really bad or pretty good. If you're like my family/friends where there's a few people who bowl 200+ every game while everyone else is thrilled to even break 100, it kinda blows.

That’s what handicaps are for but that’s usually more of a league thing than just going out for fun. But I actually benefit my team in the league we are in because my teammates are good but I’m bad and I bring our average down so the other team doesn’t get a huge amount of free pins.

Bowling, billiards, and darts are top tier sports because they are all located in building with bars, you can eat food while playing, and generally the least athletic people end up being the best.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Phlegmish posted:

I'm 31 and he looks better than I do

Same.

I didn't think bowling was anachronistic. Quite a few people I know were looking forward to it being one of the first things they did when restrictions eased.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The only reasons why I don't bowl more is because i'm bad at it and also there isn't a bowling alley anywhere near me

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I remember in my hometown when I was a kid in the 90's it was kind of a big thing for adults to join bowling leagues at the local alleys because it was an excuse to get together with everyone while drinking and smoking inside. I think around the time smoking indoors was banned the leagues stopped being as much of a hangout. I also think it was more of a smaller town thing. I never saw it as an anachronism on The Simpsons.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Improbable Lobster posted:

The only reasons why I don't bowl more is because i'm bad at it and also there isn't a bowling alley anywhere near me

this is why Grimey was the luckiest character on the Simpsons

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I remember in my hometown when I was a kid in the 90's it was kind of a big thing for adults to join bowling leagues at the local alleys because it was an excuse to get together with everyone while drinking and smoking inside. I think around the time smoking indoors was banned the leagues stopped being as much of a hangout. I also think it was more of a smaller town thing. I never saw it as an anachronism on The Simpsons.

Both my parents bowled and were in leagues when I was a kid in the city in the 1980s. My mom even won the championship with her all women team in 1990. They tried teaching me how to properly bowl, but boy howdy was I not very good at it. Had tons of fun, though. Bowling was a huge recreational activity everywhere played by everyone when The Simpsons premiered, but yeah, the writing was on the wall once smoking indoors became illegal.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
On the subject of bowling, popular science youtube channel veritasium just dropped a vid on bowling and it facinates me how much you can engineer and min max a game.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Can't remember if this dude's been brought up here before or only in the DeviantArt thread

Anyway

https://twitter.com/farteryx/status/1442230802503245826?s=20

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Failed Imagineer posted:

this is why Grimey was the luckiest character on the Simpsons

Yes, it turns out he was angry that he didn't also live next to a bowling alley.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Happy Landfill posted:

Can't remember if this dude's been brought up here before or only in the DeviantArt thread

Anyway

Seems like he could just draw one blue ninja, their face cover by mask with red headband, red belt, their weapons and kicking and copy paste/resize it 100 times.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AHH F/UGH posted:

Yes, it turns out he was angry that he didn't also live next to a bowling alley.

Oh of course

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Happy Landfill posted:

Anyway

i wish i had the passion to chase my life's dreams like this guy

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Happy Landfill posted:

Anyway

I followed that dude on Twitter, and after doing so he sent me those exact same messages word-for-word even though I never once responded to him

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
If you ever had a nightmare about the Simpsons as a kid there's probably an episoe of New Simpsons that plays out exactly like the nightmare.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I started watching the recent season 33 (jfc) premiere out of morbid masochistic curiousity. Marge was in a musical about Y2K as a teen...seems like a Marge episode and I figured I could stick it out based purely on how hilarious and agonizing every Julie Kavner line sounds (giving her this many lines seems cruel) but then it immediately transitioned into a full musical episode and i had to nope nope nope.
They didnt have the guts to force Kavner to sing, so we got Kristen Bell doing her singing lines

Dont worry tho the upcoming treehouse of horror has a Parasite parody apparently, should be hilarious

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
dental plan

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Dont worry tho the upcoming treehouse of horror has a Parasite parody apparently, should be hilarious

God, remember when THoH was something to look forward to every year? :allears:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The THOH episodes stopped being good not too long after the regular episodes stopped being good. They tend to be among the only new ones I still watch and somehow they still manage to be even lazier than normal episodes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

They didnt have the guts to force Kavner to sing, so we got Kristen Bell doing her singing lines

https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1325610732185071616

I think Kavner must have put her foot down recently

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

CodfishCartographer posted:

I followed that dude on Twitter, and after doing so he sent me those exact same messages word-for-word even though I never once responded to him

I genuinely wonder what it's like to be this guy

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I think Kavner must have put her foot down recently

She died a few years ago, and they've just been pasting voice samples together ever since

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

She died a few years ago, and they've just been pasting voice samples together ever since
They’re getting worse at it, then. They need to up the quality of their simulations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Marge's old theater teacher dies, which leads her to relive her glory days as the stage manager of a high school musical about Y2K. She gets the cast of locals back together for a revival. All the Kristen Bell singing is in Marge's head although there's a lot of shared flashbacks and whatnot. They bring the old star Sasha back into town and she claims to have been a big success in NYC theater.

With Sasha back the cast start reminiscing about good times that Marge wasn't invited to (including a party at Marge's house when she was out of town where Lenny fell off the roof and sued so her parents had to go bankrupt and couldn't afford to send her off to college). Marge gets pissed, tracks down what Sasha has really been up to in NYC (makeup counter at Sephora), and calls her out on it in front of everyone.

Homer convinces her to apologize and they do the show.

I know the Simpsons has had some good songs here and there, but generally the "all musical" episodes suck poo poo and this one was no exception. All the songs sounded the same in the way Broadway songs often do these days except they weren't performed well because it was never Kristen Bell or the guest star (some Broadway lady I've never heard of), it was them in the middle of the Simpsons cast doing an awful job of singing in character.

Marge's mom has a line if you want to hear Julie Kavner try to sound even gravelly-er

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was wondering if it was just me that thinks all Disney songs from recent movies all kind of run together and completely fail to be earworms the way they did in the 90s and before.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

You Are A Elf posted:

God, remember when THoH was something to look forward to every year? :allears:

Oh man yeah, the regular season premieres were special but the THoH eps were an event.

Kinda wonder why the haven’t had an episode yet recreating Simpsons games, like Smithers stealing a diamond, Bart against the space mutants, and camp deadly. Why not at this point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

I was wondering if it was just me that thinks all Disney songs from recent movies all kind of run together and completely fail to be earworms the way they did in the 90s and before.

I feel this way about all musicals these days, but I'm probably just becoming a cranky old man.

Half the shows are musical versions of 20-year-old TV shows or movies, and who could really throw themselves into writing "Mrs. Doubtfire: The Musical"? That's gotta be a mercenary job maybe done by a bunch of disconnected song writers who are just cashing checks.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm kinda surprised they didn't lean into Bartman/Radioactive Man harder to cash in on superhero fever. You know, before the Disney acquisition, because why bother with in-universe superheroes when you can just paste Loki in there.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Oh okay cool so Sadgasm didn't happen because Marge was in high school in the year 2000 and in fact never went to college. That's fine

Remember the Always Sunny where Dee goes back to her high school theatre class? I liked that one because it had Rene Auberjonois as her old teacher. I have shattered to pieces!!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PostNouveau posted:

I feel this way about all musicals these days, but I'm probably just becoming a cranky old man.

Half the shows are musical versions of 20-year-old TV shows or movies, and who could really throw themselves into writing "Mrs. Doubtfire: The Musical"? That's gotta be a mercenary job maybe done by a bunch of disconnected song writers who are just cashing checks.

Lol I saw that with family. Pretty good, surprisingly. The lead actor was doing top quality physical comedy and they updated the plot to scrub problematic elements.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty sure that's most mediocre musicals in any era, if that helps. Anything that follows trends without trying anything new. Disney just stands out because they have big marketing budgets and desperately try every angle to make money.

Comes to mind, as someone who watched too much late 90s anime, it explains so much that 4kids desperately wanted to break into music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

womb with a view posted:

Oh okay cool so Sadgasm didn't happen because Marge was in high school in the year 2000 and in fact never went to college. That's fine

She didn't go "away" to college they said specifically. They've said before she went to Springfield University.